• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food to bring to Spanish friend from US

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne gum, canned pumpkin, and maple syrup. These are things they miss from their year spent in my little university town, but I am wondering about adding some new things this year. Any ideas? Items that can be used in baking that would not be easy to get in Spain would be the great.

One friend has suggested Marshmallow Fluff but I am at a loss to know how anyone uses or eats that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne gum, canned pumpkin, and maple syrup. These are things they miss from their year spent in my little university town, but I am wondering about adding some new things this year. Any ideas? Items that can be used in baking that would not be easy to get in Spain would be the great.

One friend has suggested Marshmallow Fluff but I am at a loss to know how anyone uses or eats that.
I wish I could help. I have no idea what is authentic where you are, or what your friends remember with fond hearts. The maple syrup, yes, I could drink it neat. Not that I do, but it is North American. Therefore, authentic.
Maybe just take more tea, I take a particular tea over to a friend and it is never enough to last for a year! Let the suggestions roll!

My friends in Madrid always want Ghirardelli chocolate 🍫 (I don’t know why, maybe a memorable trip to San Francisco?). It’s always hand delivered upon arrival, but I like your idea of mailing it from within Spain.
Mailing them items from the US has always ended poorly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Items that can be used in baking that would not be easy to get in Spain
I had a student from the US who made very nice brownies for us - using US flour which he claimed was different from that available in the UK. I don't know if that's factually true, or whether your friends would want to use it in a recipe assuming it is true. I know for sure that US chocolate tastes very different to UK chocolate, so if they have a taste for it then maybe that's something they'd like.

Going the other way, however, a Hungarian colleague worked in Houston, and his mother had 4 kgs of Hungarian bread flour confiscated by US airport customs - on the basis that (a) they thought it might be drugs, and (b) they were baffled at her explanation that you couldn't get "proper flour" in Texas.

Oh, and
boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags
<Shudders>

For baking, I used to bring gifts of peanut butter. It used to be more rare in Spain and across Europe.

Also on the topic of sweets, friends have liked gifts of the crazy limited-edition flavors of Oreos, pop-tarts, and oatmeal.

For savory, I like the spice idea and have sometimes given Old Bay seasoning for shrimp, seafood and stews. If your friends like seafood, it's fun to experience how people season it across the world - and new uses they put the spices to in turn! We've received some fun spices back. Good luck, I'm sure your friends will be thrilled with anything you bring :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a great idea! I am from the Northwest and have often gifted anything Huckleberry. Huckleberry pancake mix, Huckleberry syrup, Huckleberry jam, Huckleberry taffy, Huckleberry coated popcorn. Mmmm so yummy. 😋
Whenever I'm enquired for what kind of gift to get me I say raspberry anything. I rarely get raspberry anything. :-(

On to baking. Is candied ginger available in Spain? Peg sometimes makes triple ginger cookies with grated ginger, ginger powder and small chunks of candied ginger (aka cystallized ginger).

Thinking of candy how about some old fashioned American candies like horehound, root beer barrels or maybe Bit-a-honey?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jerky is a great idea! Much requested by friends - but it can be hard to transport, unfortunately. Love the ideas of old-fashioned candies - I'll add to the list salt-water taffy, solid maple candy leaves and rock-crystal sticks...easy to ship...and always think of this old song, grandparents really loving sweets more than we ever have 😋

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Whenever I'm enquired for what kind of gift to get me I say raspberry anything. I rarely get raspberry anything. :-(
Sorry to say, some people don't seem to listen but I've learned over the years. People gift what they themselves like not the other way around. I too love raspberry and my heart skips a beat for all things lemon. Best of luck to you. :D

EDITED: P.S. Here’s a few raspberries for ya!
😝😝😝

Last edited:
Well I have never heard of Buc-ees. I had to google it, and all that I see on their website is that they offer a car wash, ethanol-free fuel, and DEF (which I googled to learn stands for diesel exhaust fluid). But I bet you are thinking of something else.
No actually it kind of like a giant superstore gas station. One just opened near Denver. There's one near Springfield, MO.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will have my New Orleans resident card revoked if I do not take this opportunity to suggest a package including coffee and beignet mix from Café du Monde, Aunt Sally's Pralines, and Zatarain's jambalaya. (Not to mention some Tabasco and/or Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning if your friends are fond of a bit of spice.)

No actually it kind of like a giant superstore gas station. One just opened near Denver. There's one near Springfield, MO.
Well I have never heard of Buc-ees. I had to google it, and all that I see on their website is that they offer a car wash, ethanol-free fuel, and DEF (which I googled to learn stands for diesel exhaust fluid). But I bet you are thinking of something else.
It’s an amazing gas station superstore with wonderfully clean restrooms. Tons of snack type things like Beaver Nuggets, Jerky, and even fudge.

It’s an amazing gas station superstore with wonderfully clean restrooms. Tons of snack type things like Beaver Nuggets, Jerky, and even fudge.
What are Beaver Nuggets like? Bit like Rabbit? :rolleyes:
We eat all kinds of cute local creatures here in Australia. Kangaroos, Crocodiles, Emus......
Not Koalas though! There are limits.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What are Beaver Nuggets like? Bit like Rabbit? :rolleyes:
We eat all kinds of cute local creatures here in Australia. Kangaroos, Crocodiles, Emus......
Not Koalas though! There are limits.
😂

They are made from puffed corn and come in a variety of flavors as seen here: TexasSnax

BE CAREFUL of transporting Marshmallow Fluff! I carried several jars of the stuff to a friend in Spain some years back. Although the plastic jars were tightly sealed and packed in my checked baggage, they leaked during transit and got on everything in the suitcase. ICK!

I did some research afterwards and discovered that the aerated marshmallow mix "boils" and expands at low atmospheric pressures in the baggage hold. Having had the experience of having to put everything in a hotel shower to wash off the marshmallow, I have a couple of suggestions to reduce this risk.

1. Tightly seal the lids.
2. Secure the lids with strong tape - duck tape comes to mind. The seal has to be airtight and capable of withstanding increased pressure from the expanding contents - under low atmospheric pressure - in the baggage hold.
3. Place EACH separate jar of Marshmallow fluff in a SEPARATE zip lock bag - to contain the anticipated mess. Expect the mess. If you contain it in the plastic bags, it will be easier to clean up. Atmospheric pressure is an unpredictable thing.

NOTE: Marshmallow Fluff - or similar items - are considered liquids by the TSA, and other country's security folks. SO, you CANNOT carry it onboard. It must go in your checked luggage.

NOTE - 2: Someone suggested that I open the container and remove a portion of the contents pre-packing. That might help, as it provides expansion room for the marshmallow mix under low pressure.

I have not tried this as my friend has not requested that I bring more Marshmallow Fluff. But, if I were doing this again, I would figure on removing about 25% of the original volume and packing it in another clean container, following the above protocol. Be sure to label it properly to explain what is in the container, should the security folks get curious.

NOTE - 3: Having lived in Europe for several years earlier, I well understand the craving for favorite foods one misses from another country. However, at that time, I had access to US military commissaries on NATO bases. So, I could obtain most anything in those supermarkets.

Another possible source of supply might be Amazon in your European country (e.g. Amazon.es or Amazon.co.uk). Shipping from one EU country to another is far easier, especially for a major firm like Amazon. Try a Google or Bing search locally for "Marshmallow Fluff" or "Whipped Marshmallow Cream."

You might get lucky. In fact, I do recall seeing something like "whipped marshmallow creme" in a Spanish supermercado, at some point in time. It was right next to the "mantequilla de mani" - peanut butter.

In the end, it is sugar, whipped / mixed with flavoring and air. If you can make whipped cream, you can make Marshmallow Fluff. Just sayin...

Hope this helps. See, you can find out about all kinds of esoteric stuff here in the Forum!

Tom

€60,-
For baking…I can’t find extracts in Spain-Almond, lemon, even pure vanilla. Also Kalamata olives..there are similar olives from N Spain, but not quite the same.

Don't send maple syrup. My daughter was an exchange student assigned to a wonderful family in Belgium. We went to visit and bought coffee mugs with our state's name and a design. The host Family chuckled and thanked us. They showed us a cabinet shelf with many bottles of maple syrup. Gifts from other American families.
Ted

A different one admittedly.

Summer Savory.

It used to be a very northeastern N.A. spice/herb and is still not well known outside certain areas but it can be found if you look for it.
Wonderful flavor for sauces and sfuffings.

Any barbecue rubs also come to mind.

G

€60,-
Don't send maple syrup. My daughter was an exchange student assigned to a wonderful family in Belgium. We went to visit and bought coffee mugs with our state's name and a design. The host Family chuckled and thanked us. They showed us a cabinet shelf with many bottles of maple syrup. Gifts from other American families.
Ted
Thanks for that, but this is a maple syrup made in a maple grove near my Illinois town. The Spanish family I’m sending it to spent an academic year at my university, and we took trips out to Funks Grove when the bluebells were gobsmacking. It may not be the world’s best or fanciest maple syrup, but it packs with it a lot of good memories.

And as odd as it may seem, a decent wine (BC, California or Ontario) may provide some interesting comparison to the fantastic local wines. Have a night of wine tastings!

Pick anything on the menu! An embarrassment of riches. 😊 ;) 😊

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

On to baking. Is candied ginger available in Spain? Peg sometimes makes triple ginger cookies with grated ginger, ginger powder and small chunks of candied ginger (aka cystallized ginger).

Thinking of candy how about some old fashioned American candies like horehound, root beer barrels or maybe Bit-a-honey?
Cracker Barrell candies.

I never knew there were so many junk food addicts out there. For what I am not about to receive from my guests may the Lord make me truly grateful!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I never knew there were so many junk food addicts out there. For what I am not about to receive from my guests may the Lord make me truly grateful!
I agree, which is why I drew the line at Marshmallow Fluff. The amount of non-food snack food you can find here is pretty amazing, and not necessarily in a good way.

But the spices and extracts are great little additions!

When my sister was living in Spain she always asked me to bring her peanut butter and Reese’s peanut butter cups!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

A box of See's chocolates

In Spain, I’ve had trouble finding hard candy (which I like to pop in my mouth for a quick carb fix). A few places carry Werthers, but that’s about it. So I would suggest Lifesavers, butterscotch pieces, Jolly Ranchers, etc.

Bagged maple sugar can travel more safely than maple syrup in glass bottles, and makes for a versatile substitution (in addition to the maple candy leaves which have a nice strong flavour!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My son always likes to get Ranch dressing. Not to my taste but he likes it. Also Costco quantities of allergy pills.

Based on the season, what about jelly beans? I have not seen these in Spain, and, if you want to be more impressive, maple sugar jelly beans! For baking, do they sell chocolate chips - especially Nestles- and if you can transport across the ocean - whoopie pies.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We host Spanish AF cadets in the Fall term, and they always like the Ghirardelli brownies my wife makes. We just get the big box from Costco, since they seem to eat so many! :) Pumpkin pie has been hit/miss with the cadets. Good luck!

Not sure if the same would apply in Spain, but here in Portugal, friends are keen to receive non-standard curry ingredients--like red and green Thai curry paste. They like to cook Asian food, but the curry powder here is just that plain yellow stuff that's mainly turmeric, with some additions.

The Thai curry has quite different ingredients and with coconut milk, which they can easily get, makes a really good chicken or vegetable or beef curry.

It's always on the "please bring" list when I come from North America. Green is the spiciest, I think.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buc-ees has “the wall of candy”. All different types of candy. They also sell everything else you didn’t know you needed.

As far as seasonings, the first thing I thought of was Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce - but that’s a liquid and might not travel well. The dry seasoning we like is Adkins Western Style Barbecue Seasoning, and John Henry’s Pecan Rub. Both good on pork and beef
Maybe good old Larry’s Seasoned salt for veggies and meat. (I use it on pork tenderloin.)
But maybe they have all these there?

€46,-
As far as seasonings, the first thing I thought of was Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce - but that’s a liquid and might not travel well. The dry seasoning we like is Adkins Western Style Barbecue Seasoning, and John Henry’s Pecan Rub. Both good on pork and beef
Maybe good old Larry’s Seasoned salt for veggies and meat. (I use it on pork tenderloin.)
Arrgghh. That’s supposed to be LAWRY’s seasoned salt.

Speaking of dry seasonings, just this winter I discovered the interesting flavor of Caribbean Jerk seasoning. It is good on chicken, pork and beef as a simple rub on its own, or as a marinade. It has a very nice, unusual flavor and is not too hot.

Baking powder. Real vanilla extract. Anything pumpkin-spiced (including pumpkin spice). Even Arm&Hammer baking soda—seems it’s a different quality in Spain. Other extracts (mint, e.g.) And a great oven 🤣🤣🤣

Beef jerky,turkey jerkey,buffalo jerky,ostrich from a real Texas provider of fine proteins..Prasek's(Pra sheks) Hilje Smokehouse.
Funny thing, ill be passing a Bucky's in a few hours near Wimberly,Tx..a bunch of fuel islands, snacks,jerkys.cloths with a cute beaver with a hat..
Ill send pics on the way to Austin!
Those Bucky cups are a nice gift

Marshmallow fluff and peanut butter sandwiches..decadent, high calorie and not for the faint of heart!
Note: I wrote this while the webpage was being updated so I couldn't post it. During that time a read through a few of the posts and saw that @wisepilgrim mentioned s'mores.

Peanut butter is readily available these days in Spain. I've found it even in small towns near Villares de Órbigo off the Camino route so in Madrid it can surely be found.

Marshmallow fluff? Not my cup of tea although I spent my first 20+ years in the US. But roasted marshmallows by an open fire to make s'mores (sandwich of graham crackers with chocolate)? Definitely !

Come to think of it, I always loved graham crackers and I've never found them in Europe.

These powdered seasonings that are specific to parts of North America are a great idea, I think.

I've been surprised at how many of my acquaintances here are trying really hard to cut down on sweets. A very high level of awareness of the risk of diabetes, etc.

Savoury seasonings that are "authentic" from your area, or from ethnic communities in your area, tend to be really appreciated!

Note: I wrote this while the webpage was being updated so I couldn't post it. During that time a read through a few of the posts and saw that @wisepilgrim mentioned s'mores.

Peanut butter is readily available these days in Spain. I've found it even in small towns near Villares de Órbigo off the Camino route so in Madrid it can surely be found.

Marshmallow fluff? Not my cup of tea although I spent my first 20+ years in the US. But roasted marshmallows by an open fire to make s'mores (sandwich of graham crackers with chocolate)? Definitely !

Come to think of it, I always loved graham crackers and I've never found them in Europe.
I found out when after one particularly hungry sesh..that the little tiny marshmallows in the packets of hot chocolate were good..then a handfull of marshmallows was better and out of the jar...?
Was brilliant!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a brand of hard chocolate that you break off pieces and mix in hot milk
"Abuelitas" branded which is a dark chocolate with cinnamon in the mix
Which makes a very cozy cup of goodness

Also Heard...
Fireball cinnamon flavor whiskey....I heard when added to said chocolate milk mix..adds a whang to your drink..

In Spain, I’ve had trouble finding hard candy (which I like to pop in my mouth for a quick carb fix). A few places carry Werthers, but that’s about it. So I would suggest Lifesavers, butterscotch pieces, Jolly Ranchers, etc.
I too usually carry some butterscotch candies when I walk, guess I'll have to bring a bag from home, I figured they would be easy to find along the way.

Buc Ees
Buc ees nuggets
About 1/2 of store

Attachments

• 20240320_091129.jpg
    20240320_091129.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240320_090836.jpg
    20240320_090836.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240320_090235.jpg
    20240320_090235.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

You use the marshmallow fluff with Peanut Butter (better send that, too, as it is very hard to find in Spain. I prefer super crunchy) to make a FlufferNutter sandwich. Send Marshmallows and Graham crackers to make s'moors. Better use Spanish chocolate bars; darned site better than Hershey's junk.

Old Bay seasoning from Maryland. Originally used on Maryland Crabs, but many now use it with all forms of seafood, chips, fries, etc. We export to many states these days. You can probably get it on Amazon.

Girl Scout cookies.

Canned oysters from different parts of USA.

Alaska Salmon. Probably needs to be smoked and sealed to get it through Customs.

Cranberry sauce???

Tabasco sauce. Product of Avery Island, LA

Maine ploy four (something like buckwheat) to make the small pancakes called ploys....to soak up that maple syrup.

There is a brand of hard chocolate that you break off pieces and mix in hot milk
"Abuelitas" branded which is a dark chocolate with cinnamon in the mix
Which makes a very cozy cup of goodness

Also Heard...
Fireball cinnamon flavor whiskey....I heard when added to said chocolate milk mix..adds a whang to your drink..
Mix fireball whisky with rum chata. Tastes like cinnamon toast crunch.

My invention: one shot fireball, one shot Natural Bliss Vanilla coffee creamer, 3 shots 100 proof Captain Morgan spiced rum, sprinkle in some nutmeg and throw in a few ice cubes. I call it a rum fizzle!!

All you Americans talking about maple syrup like it's American when 85% of the world's maple syrup is made in Canada. There's a reason the maple leaf is on our flag. :cool:
Maybe now, but it was invented in Maine. Ha Ha Ha

€60,-
Based on the season, what about jelly beans? I have not seen these in Spain, and, if you want to be more impressive, maple sugar jelly beans! For baking, do they sell chocolate chips - especially Nestles- and if you can transport across the ocean - whoopie pies.
Whoopie pies - official Maine desert

How about peanut butter whoopie pies? I had such a hard time finding PB in Spain.
Agreed. They say it is available, but I got a hankering for peanut butter walking CF a couple of years ago and could not find it anywhere!!!

Mix fireball whisky with rum chata. Tastes like cinnamon toast crunch.

My invention: one shot fireball, one shot Natural Bliss Vanilla coffee creamer, 3 shots 100 proof Captain Morgan spiced rum, sprinkle in some nutmeg and throw in a few ice cubes. I call it a rum fizzle!!
That Rum Chata needs to be taken to Spain!

How about peanut butter whoopie pies? I had such a hard time finding PB in Spain.
I found peanut butter is carried at Mercadona in the childrens' snack section. Also found it at a pilgrim shop in Pamplona. Unfortunately both has a lot of palm oil as an ingredient instead of peanut oil...

€46,-
Oh, don't I wish. People in my small city have been sending petitions to Trader Joe's for years begging them to come to town. No luck.
Just to let you know and maybe you already do know. When I lived in Oregon my town of 20,000 and the town nearby of 50,000 wanted a Trader Joe’s and sent petitions for one to no avail. We were eventually told it came down not only to population density but to overall yearly income. We never knew the formula of how it was determined. But eventually we got one.

I found peanut butter is carried at Mercadona in the childrens' snack section. Also found it at a pilgrim shop in Pamplona. Unfortunately both has a lot of palm oil as an ingredient instead of peanut oil...
I would check out natural food stores for decent PB without palm oil, sugar, etc.

I notice a lot more of the good stuff available here in Portugal than 5 years ago, but only in "healthy food" sections of stores, or stand-alone healthfood stores. I'd suspect Spain is similar.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really like the idea of maple syrup. Chocolate chips; good salt water taffy if there is some local to central Illinois (most are just tooth-achingly sweet and bland. I really like it from the Goldenrod in York, ME); peanut butter is very American. A seasonal pie like rhubarb or strawberry rhubarb, cherry, wild blueberry, or peach is delicious and very American, but not the easiest thing to travel with. A blueberry buckle (recipe below from an almanac I published forty years ago) might travel better but not keep well for more than a couple of days. Maybe a bundt cake with the pan for a gift that keeps on giving. If there is good local chocolate, that would be pretty easy to travel with. (A salesperson just brought us a little box of See's chocolates that we were very happy to get.)

A fun question.

Blueberry Buckle

Cake

¼ cup butter
¾ sugar
1 egg
½ t salt
2 t baking powder
2 cups flour
½ cup milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Cream the butter, add sugar and the egg. Mix in the dry ingredients and milk. The batter will be very thick and wet. Fold in the blueberries and spread in a greased 9” x 9” pan.

Topping

¼ cup soft butter
1/3 cup flour
½ cup sugar
1 t cinnamon

Cut the flour, sugar and cinnamon into the butter with a pastry blender or several knives.

Sprinkle the topping over the cake and bake in a 350º oven for 45-50 minutes until done (browned). Serve hot, cold, plain or topped with vanilla ice or whipped cream.

I recently discovered Caribbean Jerk seasoning and I really like it for its unique and special flavor. I used it on baked chicken, but have read it is good on pork and beef, too. Not sure if available in Spain.

I have a Spanish friend who loves Fluff (not that I think I like that… everyone always brings her family Fluff…

According to archeological evidence, maple tree sap was being processed into syrup long before Europeans arrived, and thus also long before Maine existed.
Agreed! I concede the point. I should have said invented in the land that was to become Maine. 😆😋🤣
And so was Maple Sugar Candy, which also might be a good idea to take to Spain as gifts.

I really like the idea of maple syrup. Chocolate chips; good salt water taffy if there is some local to central Illinois (most are just tooth-achingly sweet and bland. I really like it from the Goldenrod in York, ME); peanut butter is very American. A seasonal pie like rhubarb or strawberry rhubarb, cherry, wild blueberry, or peach is delicious and very American, but not the easiest thing to travel with. A blueberry buckle (recipe below from an almanac I published forty years ago) might travel better but not keep well for more than a couple of days. Maybe a bundt cake with the pan for a gift that keeps on giving. If there is good local chocolate, that would be pretty easy to travel with. (A salesperson just brought us a little box of See's chocolates that we were very happy to get.)

A fun question.

Blueberry Buckle

Cake

¼ cup butter
¾ sugar
1 egg
½ t salt
2 t baking powder
2 cups flour
½ cup milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Cream the butter, add sugar and the egg. Mix in the dry ingredients and milk. The batter will be very thick and wet. Fold in the blueberries and spread in a greased 9” x 9” pan.

Topping

¼ cup soft butter
1/3 cup flour
½ cup sugar
1 t cinnamon

Cut the flour, sugar and cinnamon into the butter with a pastry blender or several knives.

Sprinkle the topping over the cake and bake in a 350º oven for 45-50 minutes until done (browned). Serve hot, cold, plain or topped with vanilla ice or whipped cream.
YUM! I'm coming to your house for dinner!

Chesapeake Old Bay Seasoning!
SWEET Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.
Pepperidge Farm Goldfish
Steven Smith Teamaker, Portland, OR, online. ,No. 14 French Lavender Tea, Lovely!
Hersheypark Choc Syrup or Cocoa powder.
KY Bourbon.

For baking, I used to bring gifts of peanut butter. It used to be more rare in Spain and across Europe.
When I was there, it was indeed hard to find. But when I did find it, I liked it better than the American ones. Ours was thinner. Easier to spread, but not by much, and I preferred the taste with less added oil.

When I was there, it was indeed hard to find. But when I did find it, I liked it better than the American ones. Ours was thinner. Easier to spread, but not by much, and I preferred the taste with less added oil.
I love only "chunky style" peanut butter, weird as it may seem. Years ago I converted to "natural" peanut butter and always look at the ingredients of other brands to make sure they only have peanuts and salt...no sugar and no palm or other oils added.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My American friend who has been living in Italy for decades always asks for chocolate chips. Don’t know if they are readily available in Spain.

Italian travelling often to US here. I bring back home Ranch sauce, BBQ sauce, pickles, pancake mix. I would say more sauces.
It is interesting to me how many of our very average, well known US grocery store processed items are "worth their weight in gold" so to speak and brought back to Europe as specialty items.

BBQ sauce or other good marinades.

It is interesting to me how many of our very average, well known US grocery store processed items are "worth their weight in gold" so to speak and brought back to Europe as specialty items.
Going to a US grocery store and spend some hours there and see what is being sold and eaten is a part of cultural program. At least for me.

Going to a US grocery store and spend some hours there and see what is being sold and eaten is a part of cultural program. At least for me.
I understand and agree. I meant that food items we take for granted in the US are a curiosity to visitors from other countries. I am the same as you when I am on the Camino and stop in at tiendas and supermarcados.

€60,-
I understand and agree. I meant that food items we take for granted in the US are a curiosity to visitors from other countries. I am the same as you when I am on the Camino and stop in at tiendas and supermarcados.
I think the sheer amount of choice and range of foods available in the USA is mind boggling to folks from elsewhere so a gift or a recommendation is always good. Especially sweets/candy, chocolate, chips/crisp. I went into a’gas station’ in Miami this morning (I called it a ‘garage’ to a chap yesterday and got a quizzical look!) and there must have been three aisles of sweet stuff alone. Of course in major cities partly driven by the huge diversity of the population. I stuck with known brands - Reese’s and Hersheys, but would have liked a recommendation.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back