• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum Contributor Recognition

rickster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012), LePuy (2013), Coastal Portuguese( 2013), Norte (Fall 2014)
Thought it would be worthwhile to start a thread to give members an opportunity to recognize individuals for their generous contribution to helping others on this forum become better prepared for their camino experience. There are so many who contribute on a daily basis, so I don't want to imply that there are only a few, however, I feel that there are a select group who go over and beyond. I have been looking for an opportunity to recognize and thank margaret, aka mspath, for all of the help that she has provided to me prior to numerous caminos. Not just a cursory comment, but a well thought out, accurate, detailed note of help that required that she take her valuable time to help another. She has no idea who I am, but has always been willing to help me or anyone else make their journey more informed. I hope that our paths will cross someday on a camino and I will give you a big hug of gratefulness. Hope that other forum members will use this as an opportunity to recognize those in particular who have helped them. Rick, aka Rickster

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would like to thank Ivar, the moderators and anyone who contributes help and information to this forum, and a special thanks to mspath (Margaret) who for me has been a mine of generous information from the start. Also to all those who keep things funny and lighthearted and brighten up our day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I add my hearty and enthusiastic "second" to all that the Rickster said. Margaret responded with a sincere and genuine "Welcome" when I made my first tentative step into the world of the Camino de Santiago Forum. She remains humble and helpful to this very day. I would have to say to Rick, however, there will probably be a long line waiting to give her that Hug of appreciation. I'll be patiently standing in it.

I would like to thank Ivar, the moderators and anyone who contributes help and information to this forum, and a special thanks to mspath (Margaret) who for me has been a mine of generous information from the start. Also to all those who keep things funny and lighthearted and brighten up our day.
Great thread rickster.
Absolutely Wayfarer - I'm with you completely on this. Thanks to everyone for their input - on a practical level and on a worldwide community level with such goodwill and cheer which we all receive the benefit of. If I had $10 for every LOL moment I've had since joining the Forum I'd be able to fund a Camino purely on those LOL moments AND buy any Forum members I ran into dinner!
Cheers - Jenny

Peregrina2000 for information, Gerardcarey for humor and Falcon269 for the rest of the story. Ivar and the moderators for development and maintenance of a civil/respectful forum.

One other very special person, Rebekah whose gifts to the Camino are many and her door is always open.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Peregrina2000 for information, Gerardcarey for humor and Falcon269 for the rest of the story. Ivar and the moderators for development and maintenance of a civil/respectful forum.

Ultreya,
Joe

Plus ALL contributors who keep providing just the right amount of information as the questions arise. Wonderful forum, many thanks.

A great thread, but where do I start? I have a special file of information I have copied from this site and I am transposing it by hand into the guide for my next Camino. It would be interesting to go through and see who the main contributors are. I bet they have already been named in this thread.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lauding, giving thanks / expressing praise is a lovely contribution one can make to a fellow human being and a group as a whole.... The one feel though that i have about such lists is that have me not participate, is that these lists can't be "complete" When something/ someone is included, something / someone else is excluded. That is just the nature of duality.
Since i have started to view and consult this forum i have benefitted greatly from its collective wisdom....and i felt moved to send notes of thanks to the persons who were especially helpful in my experience.
One can send private conversation notes to each member of the forum...
To access this feature one can click on the name of a forum member: "start a conversation"
This is just a preference of mine ( same as donating anonymously) and only thought of mentioning it in case that then"private conversation" feature is not widely known.
That being said...many cheers to everyone who are so kind and generous with their time, experience and insight...and the humour too!!:):D

I thought this thread was a lovely idea and wanted especially to thank those contributors whose posts I look forward to or which I always take notice of, knowing that I will be informed, entertained or enlightened. Having started to make a list of those I particularly wanted to thank, and having reached the end of a page and turned over, I realised that even those "special few" are too many to list! Since joining the forum (and before, while just reading and taking it all in), I have gained so much. There is hardly a post I have read which hasn't been useful, informative, wise or entertaining - even the (very) occasional negative one that has made me gasp with indignation has been entertaining to read and watch for the response! With only 2 months to go now until we set off on our camino, with work pressure and other anxieties and minor health issues battling with my optimism, I'm relying on the Forum more than ever to keep me sane and on track. Thank you to everyone - seasoned contributors who provide so much advice, new members who ask the very questions to which I need answers , Ivar and the Moderators who keep it all together.... Thank you!

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone on the forum for being part of my Camino family, you all will never know how much I appreciate and am grateful to be able to call you all my friends.
But that's just the way it is, this is the CAMINO forum after all !:):):)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree - there are countless generous souls on this site. They have all helped enormously with my planning. Even though I am about to embark on my 4th Camino (and should feel confident) I understand how things change and I’m changing too - hehehe (the bones are a little more creaky). The up to date advice is invaluable and really helps to calm the nerves - especially as I always walk alone. Thanks to everyone who contributes. Bless, Grace

I've looked at this thread a few times and just wondered... how do you pick?

I've been helped by so many people... some that do a great job and are often helping folks and others who perhaps only ever made one or two comments... some who's names I have forgotton and others that I couldn't ever forget. Some people's comments have made me laugh out loud whilst others the reverse... this really is a great place and it's been my place of refuge and learning for a year!

So, whilst I think you're all great there are two people that for me do a pretty good job of representing this community... the heart and the soul perhaps (in my humble opinion)... Ivar and Margaret Meredith otherwise known as mspath

:)

I would like to show appreciation for whariwharangi for all the travel information he has contributed to the forum. A fantastic resource when needed.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Although I have walked the Camino since 2004 I only learned of this Forum in 2009.
What a joy it was and continues to be to share tips and memories with 'digital friends'.
My sincerest thanks to Ivar and all those early members who helped develop such a special site. Participating in this unique Forum is now part of my daily routine. Sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.
...May the Forum and this special spirit long continue.

Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You're right, Margaret. Long after the camino 'ends' the forum still fascinates. Of course the camino never really ends :)
I had a wonderful, blister-free camino Ingles, returning just three weeks ago - my Diary and Photo-album are now downloadable from my web site.

Buen camino!
P.S. I notice I have over 60 points. Is it true, Ivar, that we can exchange these for a Tesco voucher? :D

You're right, Margaret. Long after the camino 'ends' the forum still fascinates. Of course the camino never really ends :)
I had a wonderful, blister-free camino Ingles, returning just three weeks ago - my Diary and Photo-album are now downloadable from my web site.

Buen camino!
P.S. I notice I have over 60 points. Is it true, Ivar, that we can exchange these for a Tesco voucher? :D
60 trophy points means a free airbed filling ! :)

Yes it would be an empty mail box without the people. I am also ever thankful to everyone who has contributed whethér it is a good or bad experience/post. We learn from both.

Ivar - it is a super forum, thank you for keeping it always up and running, and without which, we wouldn't have this topic.

But on the topic forum contributor recognition, I am always in awe of the many, many, members who give their time daily with really helpful info., knowing that in many cases they are doing this over and over again. Information Always given with that Christian sharing that makes us all want to give back when we can, if we have anything to share. I put this down to: when you share the way with fellow pilgrims, whether on Camino, or 'before & after' on the forum; a lot of this kindness brushes off and we all care more for others . Hey, could be the answer to - WORLD PEACE.

I think if we took a poll of who has had a helpful response from Margaret M. (MSPath) it would be a big number,especially when they were really new and a bit frightened of what they were jumping into. . (Not to say I haven't had help from many and I appreciated them all).
It just comes across to me though, that the forum is part of Margaret.
I really look forward to your posts Margaret. A lot of information is probably on blogs but it's great to get bits of real experiences on the forum posts, and when you see the post fits.,adding that bit of history and culture, I love it.

I hope a lot more who are maybe just reading now, will lose their shyness and share their experiences or ask their questions.

It's more interesting when the content keeps flowing. And the knowledge is being transferred along the line of pilgrims.

Buen Camino
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks to the many contributors of this forum!
Finding out things by my self would take a lot of time and efforts and just reading your post is a faster way to do it !
Many of you take a lot of your time giving people the most accurate answer.

Buen Camino.

Pd. I mean thanking so many people and in particular to Ivar.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.