• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From peregrina to hospitalera

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelab

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances June (2017)
I'm getting excited as only 2 days until my next adventure. Packing has begun! I'm having a giggle to myself because the backpack I am taking this time is smaller than the one I just walked Camino Frances with (June-July). I should just take a suitcase given that i'm volunteering at Albergue Verde during September, and not planning to walk, but figured i'd pack light and keep things simple. Ulterior motive...if the stars align I may find myself on the road once again. Even if only the last 100kms from Sarria to Santiago, or a mere 80kms from Santiago to Muxia! So much choice and freedom = endless possibilities :D Watch this space for more Camino escapades :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Where is the Albergue verde?

It's funny you should post about being a hospy just now: I was making spriralled carrots and zucchinis and thought that these would make wonderful pilgrim meals. Easy peasy, veggie, inexpensive and flavourful. But you do need to being the spiraliser.

Have a wonderful time.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I also can't find Albergue Verde either on Frances/Norte/Primitivo.
I guess @angelab will shortly give us an explanation. Maybe it is a completely new albergue or she's naming it this way because of "vegetarian" communal meal???

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So.. what is this deal with people volunteering in private albergues?

It has @Rebekka 's blood going, and I can see why...

So why offer your time there, in profit making albergues, vs those run by the various associations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
K1...Really? It's in Hospital de Orbigo.
http://www.albergueverde.es/
You are right but it isn't either on last 100 or 80 km:
"Even if only the last 100kms from Sarria to Santiago, or a mere 80kms from Santiago to Muxia! " she wrote.
That was the only info I had in the time when I was responding. Last 80-100 km!!! There's no Albergue Verde. Check it out :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Verde was probably the most unusual albergue we stayed in. Their symbol is a snail, because they like things to move very slowly. There is a yoga class every day before the communal vegetarian dinner, which my wife helped to prepare. Alcohol is discouraged. A sense of community and spirituality is fostered. They were really nice people. The remarkable part was the jam session as dinner was being put together. This was the only albergue where a guy with a string bass showed up at 4:30, followed by his friends with guitars. Spanish music ensued for the next several hours, hosted by the proprietor. I'm pretty sure they don't do that every night, but equally sure that wasn't the first time. The most important thing was to make sure you didn't let the (ridiculously friendly) dogs out when you left in the morning, they are reputed to follow pilgrims down the trail. Did I mention that its donativo? If you remember 1969, or if you are younger and want to feel the spirit of 1969, highly recommended!

I'm getting excited as only 2 days until my next adventure. Packing has begun! I'm having a giggle to myself because the backpack I am taking this time is smaller than the one I just walked Camino Frances with (June-July). I should just take a suitcase given that i'm volunteering at Albergue Verde during September, and not planning to walk, but figured i'd pack light and keep things simple. Ulterior motive...if the stars align I may find myself on the road once again. Even if only the last 100kms from Sarria to Santiago, or a mere 80kms from Santiago to Muxia! So much choice and freedom = endless possibilities :D Watch this space for more Camino escapades :)

Angela,

How wonderful that you are giving back to the Camino! Big round of applaus from here.

Enjoy it to the fullest.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Where is the Albergue verde?

It's funny you should post about being a hospy just now: I was making spriralled carrots and zucchinis and thought that these would make wonderful pilgrim meals. Easy peasy, veggie, inexpensive and flavourful. But you do need to being the spiraliser.

Have a wonderful time.
Thank you. I love zucchini and carrot spirals :)

Thank you in advance for your service - may you 'make' someone's Camino special, every day.
(To a vegetarian, places like Albergue Verde are treasures...oases in a porcine desert!)
I'm a vegetarian and found it really difficult on the Camino as very few places cater properly for vegetarians. Those albergues that do are definitely a treasure! There are a few and hopefully over the next few years there will be more. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

So why offer your time there, in profit making albergues, vs those run by the various associations.
I asked to volunteer at Albergue Verde because it's a vegetarian albergue, and because I wanted to give back. Pilgrims go to private and association albergues. Private albergues still provide and incredible service. I chose private this time not for any other reason other than it's a beautiful albergue that's run with heart.

A valuable aside for all pilgrims: good vegetarian food is often hard to find on the way. So this place is a gem for that. But even for non-vegetarians (myself included), it's a welcome break from the standard pilgrim's menu which, by that point, you'll have been eating for weeks. I had a huge craving for fresh veggies by the time I hit the stretch and this place definitely fit the bill. And yes, it was filling.

Hospitaleros are free to volunteer wherever they want to.
It's up to them to decide where to donate their time and talents, as well as determine if they are being exploited or taking a job better suited to paid local workers.
As an unpaid hospi trainer, I feel a bit miffed when a businessman profits from my goodwill and labor, but that's really neither here nor there. You give something away, you don't get to choose what the recipient does with it.
I am happy to see former pilgrims become hospitaleros. It's a logical next step for many of us.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Maybe I don't understand the albergue business, but I really wonder how many of the private albergue operators can be operating at a profit. Many of the private albergues that I stayed in appeared to have undergone extensive renovations to become an albergue. Add to that ongoing maintenance, taxes, basic operating costs - how does anyone come out ahead when you're only charging each person 12-15E and operate at partial occupancy? Several of us on the Norte this year were contemplating this very issue.

I guess my point is that even though the private albergues are "for-profit" enterprises, they could likely use a helping hand as well. I for one would like to see as many of them stick around as possible.

Awesome. Thank you Miss Angelab for your volunteer duties. You will be gone by then, but two of my planned stops during the month of October are Albuerge Verde and Casa Susi [IF I can make it that far, only my maker knows when and where my camino will end]. Again, Gracias, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Awesome. Thank you Miss Angelab for your volunteer duties. You will be gone by then, but two of my planned stops during the month of October are Albuerge Verde and Casa Susi [IF I can make it that far, only my maker knows when and where my camino will end]. Again, Gracias, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
I may still be there in October. Buen Camino peregrino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good deal! Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I hope you have a wonderful time Angel!

I wanted to stay at Albergue Verde last year when I passed through but happened into Hospital during their big yearly fiesta and it was full. I stayed at the public albergue which was fine, except that they allowed tourists in to gawk at Real Peregrinos and I felt like I was in a zoo. They took pictures of me hanging my laundry on the line. I'll be back through HdO sometime in late Sept. so will stop and say hello! Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have served at both private and parochial albergues, both donativo, and I can assure the private made no profit at all from the pilgrims, and in fact the owners worked during the day at outside professions so that they could keep the albergue open. Let those who are so quick to criticize do a hospitalero course and pay all their own travel and often food expenses at the albergue to help others. Note that the Albergue Verde is donativo

Perhaps because this albergue does not operate as part of the Camino hospitality industry.

Perhaps because this albergue does not operate as part of the Camino hospitality industry.
That makes sense. But we are reading more and more from people going off to volunteer for privately owned albergues. And pretty ones. Made me wonder what then happens to the parochial munis who must have volunteers to operate.

There is no doubt that for some owners an albergue can be all consuming, but for others it is not as they are fully staffed, with owners far far away from the daily work of an albergue. In those cases, as Rebekha points out, if a volunteer is not taking a local's job while looking for an inexpensive holiday in a lovely albergue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
People volunteer for all kinds of reasons. You can't always tell what motivates a hospitalero. Often he doesn't know, himself.

But there really ARE a few people who volunteer at "nice" albergues and view it as a pilgrimmy holiday. Within a couple of days of mop duty they suddenly realize their granny's condition is deteriorating and they must go home on the next train! (This happens with occasional Ditch Pigs, too.)
Some hospis are stars: There's one well-known Spanish hospi who plays Flamenco guitar and sings and drinks and carries on with the pilgrims all evening, and sleeps right through all the morning chores. He's been at it for years...But not at any place where I post hospis!
Some like being in charge; they run the albergue as their way of fixing what's wrong with the camino. Some like being part of a team. Some do it as a spiritual exercise. Some are just wonderful, giving, natural hosts, and love caring for others!
But back to the holidaymakers: A substantial percentage of people who take hospitalero training courses never serve as hospitaleros. Some of them are "workshopping," doing the training as a nice, inexpensive and self-affirming "pilgrimage fix." This is one reason some training programs charge a stiff fee. Otherwise, they're providing a free weekend of entertainment for people who never intend to give anything back.
Hospitalero training programs are designed and run by volunteers, often on a donativo basis. You put it out there, you hope someone takes it seriously, you try to weed out the people who obviously aren't cut out for the job...
And when you choose volunteers to staff a place, you roll the dice there, too.
The tales I could tell you about some of the people who volunteered this very summer..!

Thank you so much for sharing your insight @Rebekah Scott. You show is there are as many reasons and ways to hopsy as to walk - and yes, there are cringing opportunities- but I will not be starting a "what makes a real hopsy" thread. :rolleyes:

But...

Maybe a thread on our best hospy experiences? As in how a hospy marked our Camino? What they said, didn't say, a gesture?

Last edited by a moderator:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I wanted to stay at Albergue Verde last year when I passed through but happened into Hospital during their big yearly fiesta and it was full. I stayed at the public albergue which was fine, except that they allowed tourists in to gawk at Real Peregrinos and I felt like I was in a zoo. They took pictures of me hanging my laundry on the line. I'll be back through HdO sometime in late Sept. so will stop and say hello! Jill
Would love to say hello :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've just caught up with this thread I started. It's interesting and eye opening to read the different perspectives. I don't feel the need to justify why I'm volunteering at a 'private' albergue that is actually donativo. What I can say is that I don't view this as a holiday and if I wanted a cheap holiday I'd probably go to Bali, India or Thailand. I am doing this as a way of giving back to so many hospitaleros who gave to me after a long day's walk. I'm sitting in a lovely cafe in Leon excited about going to Albergue Verde tomorrow and doing whatever is needed. I don't intend to find a reason or excuse to leave. I'm very willing to muck in & get my hands dirty. I am consciously choosing to be of service.

I've just caught up with this thread I started. It's interesting and eye opening to read the different perspectives. I don't feel the need to justify why I'm volunteering at a 'private' albergue that is actually donativo. What I can say is that I don't view this as a holiday and if I wanted a cheap holiday I'd probably go to Bali, India or Thailand. I am doing this as a way of giving back to so many hospitaleros who gave to me after a long day's walk. I'm sitting in a lovely cafe in Leon excited about going to Albergue Verde tomorrow and doing whatever is needed. I don't intend to find a reason or excuse to leave. I'm very willing to muck in & get my hands dirty. I am consciously choosing to be of service.
@angelab you are in my thoughts, good on you! Thank you on behalf of all the pilgrims who will be lucky to meet you .

You don't need to justify anything at all. Enjoy your time!
Faith

Ok, really? Sorry, people, but telling someone she has "little empathy" or is "churlish" is a personal insult. How hard is that to understand? Posts have been deleted.

This post is a perfect example of what I am talking about in another thread I started to bemoan the spiralling out of control negativity that is creeping into the forum. What starts as a joyful announcement of someone going back to a favorite albergue turns into criticisms and insults. There are issues here, no doubt about that, not the least of which is Spanish labor law, but the sharp sting is not the way to raise them. I am going to lock the thread, and Angelab, I hope you will feel free to start another thread telling us about your experiences and let's see if we can mind our manners. I am getting tired of feeling like an elementary school teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back