• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Holy Door Santiago

MikeC

Time of past OR future Camino
Cycled SJPP to SDC September 2016
Starting Camino Ingles June 2018
In September I was privileged to be able to use the holy door to pay my respects to the Apostle and was fascinated by the relief carvings on the inner doors.
I have searched this forum and wider for an explanation of the story told in the carvings but can't find any information about them. One of the panels seems to me to show the martyrdom of he Apostle.
Can anyone point me to an internet source that gives the full story?
Many thanks
Mike C

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The following is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_de_Compostela_Cathedral#East_fa.C3.A7ade_or_da_Quintana

The so-called Holy Door (Porta Santa) or Door of Forgiveness (Porta do Perdón) is the closest to the steps, is usually closed with a fence and opened only in Jubilee Years (years when St James's Day (25 July) falls on a Sunday). It was one of the seven lesser gates and was dedicated to St. Pelagius (whose monastery is just opposite). On this door niches contain the image of James and his disciples Athanasius and Theodore at his side. On the bottom and sides of the door were placed twenty-four figures of prophets and apostles (including St. James) coming from the old stone choir of Master Mateo. Inside this door through a small courtyard is the true Holy Door, which enters into the ambulatory of the apse of the church.

I walked through that door in 2010 after 2700km and 3h in the waiting line... It was such a deep and intense experience...!!! The whole cathedral is a fascinating testimony of Saint James' cult through History. I love to sit around, admire its many details and match them to such or such part of SJ's, Christian or pilgrimage cult/traditions/historical event or era :)

Are you talking about these carvings?
full

The door's panels are a 2003 bronze sculpture by Suso Loe. The outsides represent Jesus, St James and pilgrims. The insides (on the picture above) represent the major events in the historical and legendary life of St James.

/!\ If you're not ready to learn about the completely human-made construction of St James' legend, read no further... Spoilers and spoilings of the Golden Legends of Compostela ahead! Still soft material, but be warned... /!\

"Historical" (H), as reported in the Bible (which is an historical source). The Bible is your source here. If you want to read only about the occurrences of St James in the Bible, here is a post on this very topic on my blog. All the following (H) references can be found there.
"Legendary" (L), as created by various sources a long time after St James' life and death (talking of ~200 years later for the earliest basis of the legends to ~800 years later for the legends depicted on this doors).

So, the panels in chronological order:
1. Top-left (H), text="vocatio": Jesus (character on the right) recruits James as he is fishing with his father Zebedee and his brother John (also a future apostle, and writer of the Gospel named after him).
2. Top-right (H), text="missio": Jesus (character in the middle) assigns his apostles (I believe Judas is not on the carving) to spread his word across the world to . The Bible doesn't say who went where (apart from Peter)
3. Middle-right (L), text= "pradicatio": James (character in the middle) evangelizes Spain with success after the Virgin appears to him in Zaragoza on a pillar (character on the top left). This apparition is the "what and why" of the famous Fiestas del Pilar every year in October in Zaragoza.
"L" because... The first association between James and Spain came quite late in history, with the Breviarium Apostolorum around 600 (here's a good link in Spanish about this text) and was definitive by 776 with the Beatos, which states that St James evangelized Spain (a link in English but this page in Spanish tells you about Saint James)(fun fact: right before the discovery of the remains...). Before that, various texts and scriptures slowly prepared this association: ie. by
Theodoret of Cyrus (an apostle was sent West) or by Didyme of Alexandria around 350 (an apostle was sent in Hispania).
4. Middle-left (H), text="decapitato": James is about to be decapitated in Palestine... refers to his condemnation by King Herod Ist around 44.
5. Bottom-right (L), text="traslatio": James' body is taken by his followers, put in a boat and transferred to Spain: called "translation" in Christian tradition. Many versions of this episode! On the panel version, the boat containing only Saint James is guided by 2 angels.
First mentioned in ~900 (archives of the cathedral of Santiago)(fun fact: written after the discovery of St James' sanctuary...), then in ~1000 (which becomes the 3rd book of the famous Codex Calixtinus put together in ~1140 (brief and poor part about this book on the CC wiki page, in English)
6. Bottom-left (L), text="inventio": (fun fact: in Latin, inventio means both "discovery" and "invention"...) depiction of the discovery/invention of St James' tomb/remains, around 820. Many versions here again! On the panel version, an angel (character on the right) guides bishop Theodemar of Iria to the Saint's coffin.
Episode first mentioned in the Concordia Antealtares in 1077 (here's a good link in Spanish), then in the Cronicon Iriense sometimes in the s.12 (link in English). Then in the De vita et gestis Caroli magni again sometimes in the s.12 (alternative version of the discovery by Charlemagne, recognized as false since the s.18!); this text (link in English) will also become a part of the famous Codex Calixtinus that was put together in ~1140.

I hope you got some answers here :) Saint James and his pilgrimage is such a complex topic and such a complex History! I find it truly fascinating! :) Having researched it myself, I know and understand your struggle to find information, and even worse, reliable and authentic information and sources... History, legends, myths and phantasms are so tangled (mixed and blended!) together that a quick research does't do the trick. ;)

Buen time-travelling Camino!

full

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back