• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much cash do you actually need to carry?

Nann

Nannette's Journey
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte August 2016
Good Afternoon,
I love this forum. One thing I cannot quite find a clear answer to is how much do you need cash on a daily basis?
I am doing the Del Norte in August and September and am trying to figure out how to plan for my expenses.
Average daily expense 25-35 euros?
ATM exchange rate, does this cost a bunch extra to take out cash each town?
I am assuming you have to pay cash to most albergues, resturants, etc?

Thank you for your input! I am getting so excited!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Cash will be your only payment option in most places, so you will need enough for the days between towns with ATMs. How much will depend on what accommodation options you choose and how well and how often you eat and drink. I am not sufficiently familiar with the Norte to know whether it can be done for 25€/day but that is going to be on the tight side if you have to use a private albergue occasionally or want something more than a basic bocadillo from time to time.

Last edited:
Cash will be your only payment option in most places, so you will need enough for the days between towns with ATMs. How much will depend on what accommodation options you choose and how well and how often you eat and drink. I not sufficiently familiar with the Norte to know whether it can be done for 25€/day but that is going to be on the tight side if you have to use a private albergue occasionally or want something more thsn a basic bocadillo from time to time.

Thank you for that, I would like to plan to have some option to sleeping conditions so I will plan on a bit more per day. Thank you for your reply.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used about 35 euro per day average. I pulled maximum out of bank machines ... usually enough for ten days ... to avoid bank fees.

The bank fees depend on your bank. I used an ING bank card ... it had no user fees above the atm charges. If I were to use my BMO card there would be an additional $2 per use.

Exchange fees vary from bank to bank ... and are very hard to compare.

I also took out the maximum amount each time I used the bank machine. I broke my largest bills first so I always had smaller bills on hand just in case. I also used my credit card when I could to avoid having to visit the ATMs too often.

We had a layover in Amsterdam airport so that is where I first used the ATM to take out money. Then I went to the currency exchange at the airport and they exchanged my larger bills for smaller ones for no charge.

Hi Nann,
There are two of us and we take out 400 euros at a time to minimize ATM fees. We spend as much as 70 euro a day when staying in double rooms and as little as 35 when staying in regular bunks.
Janet

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Over four Caminos, I planned for an average of Euro 50 per day. I replenish that amount at an ATM when needs must, usually when the amount in-pocket dips to around 50 Euro. Plan ahead, and rely on a current guidebook, or smart phone app, to tell you where there is an ATM. Many of us find that the Telebanco ATMs usually attached to Santander banks are the most reliable.

I advise against using free-standing ATMs located in albergues, cafes, gas stations or convenience shops. They always charge high "convenience fees" and are more susceptible to being hacked, and your numbers compromised. Many of these free-standing ATMs are in fact owned by the business they are located in. I strongly advise ONLY using ATM machine physically connected to a proper bank, or which are clearly identified as being from a known bank, as opposed to independently owned ATMs.

Also, and in this regard, ATMs located in airport arrival areas usually give a slightly LESS FAVORABLE conversion rate than ATMs located, "in-town." The banks KNOW arriving travelers usually need to obtain money, so they slant the conversion rate at these ATMs to the bank's advantage.

Also, the WORST POSSIBLE exchange rate is at those Travelex currency booths, or attached ATMs, located at airports around the world. This firm is in the currency exchange BUSINESS. So they charge a premium exchange rate for all their services anywhere in the world. Of course, they tell you that they do not charge a fee, but they make it up with a far less charitable exchange rate.

My advice is to arrive in France, Portugal, or Spain to start your Camino, use an airport located bank ATM to obtain not more than 100 Euros to get you away from the airport, then find a bank "in-town" to take out the reminder of what you need for the next few days.

Finally and on point:

Make sure you are using a four-number PIN. European ATMs do not accept other patterns.

Make sure you notify your bank that you will be in (country) from (date) to (date), so your card is not either rejected, or worse, eaten by a bank ATM.

Also, a "chipped" debit or credit card is better than a card having only a magnetic stripe. Most North American banks are still converting to this world standard. If you have the option of having a debit or credit card with a chip and mag strip, I recommend you opt for this format.

I hope this helps.

l would suggest you take out enough at each ATM to take you kity up to 200-300 Euros.

We were also advised to always choose euros over ones own currency, whether at an ATM or hotel/store etc. This is because the euro choice results in lower charges and no extra charge for the hotel/shop. It is related to the number of bank systems the card is passed through. Some machines give a choice others are pre-set to euros anyway.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also when sleeping in your sleeping bag keep all valuables inside the foot of the bag!!!

Either do as Lynda t posted hiding the valuables "inside the foot of the bag" with your feet also inside the sleeping bag resting on top of those valuables or put your valuables within the sleeping bag directly beneath your bottom. Either way your valuables are out of view as well as protected by your body.

Furthermore take your all your valuables -- documents, money/credit cards, camera and phone with you always. Even into the shower stall. Never leave visible/accessible what you can't afford to lose!! Never tell anyone where you keep those valuables. All pilgrims are not angels nor is everyone wandering about a pilgrim. Be aware but not anxious.

Last edited:
If you don't have a sleeping bag then buy a bum-bag/fanny-pack and only ever take it iff when you're in the shiwer and even then place it where it can't easiky be taken. As for other valuables l always try for a corner bottom bunk and l sleep with my pack between me and the wall so if anyone tries to take it they will wake me up. But to be honest l've never had to worry about anything being stolen.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Neither do I worry, but do try to be aware/alert to varied situations. Now at 77 I have been traveling for over 60 years often alone and/or in rather remote spots. Over the years I have learned to neither wear any 'bling' nor show wads of cash.

A few years ago in Trinidad de Arre an actor from LA who was bunked next to me asked anxiously "Where do you have your money?" As if on cue I rolled my eyes and answered "Why in the bank! And you?"

For further advice read this Forum thread with useful tips on camino security and also here.

Over four Caminos, I planned for an average of Euro 50 per day. I replenish that amount at an ATM when needs must, usually when the amount in-pocket dips to around 50 Euro. Plan ahead, and rely on a current guidebook, or smart phone app, to tell you where there is an ATM. Many of us find that the Telebanco ATMs usually attached to Santander banks are the most reliable.

I advise against using free-standing ATMs located in albergues, cafes, gas stations or convenience shops. They always charge high "convenience fees" and are more susceptible to being hacked, and your numbers compromised. Many of these free-standing ATMs are in fact owned by the business they are located in. I strongly advise ONLY using ATM machine physically connected to a proper bank, or which are clearly identified as being from a known bank, as opposed to independently owned ATMs.

Also, and in this regard, ATMs located in airport arrival areas usually give a slightly LESS FAVORABLE conversion rate than ATMs located, "in-town." The banks KNOW arriving travelers usually need to obtain money, so they slant the conversion rate at these ATMs to the bank's advantage.

Also, the WORST POSSIBLE exchange rate is at those Travelex currency booths, or attached ATMs, located at airports around the world. This firm is in the currency exchange BUSINESS. So they charge a premium exchange rate for all their services anywhere in the world. Of course, they tell you that they do not charge a fee, but they make it up with a far less charitable exchange rate.

My advice is to arrive in France, Portugal, or Spain to start your Camino, use an airport located bank ATM to obtain not more than 100 Euros to get you away from the airport, then find a bank "in-town" to take out the reminder of what you need for the next few days.

Finally and on point:

Make sure you are using a four-number PIN. European ATMs do not accept other patterns.

Make sure you notify your bank that you will be in (country) from (date) to (date), so your card is not either rejected, or worse, eaten by a bank ATM.

Also, a "chipped" debit or credit card is better than a card having only a magnetic stripe. Most North American banks are still converting to this world standard. If you have the option of having a debit or credit card with a chip and mag strip, I recommend you opt for this format.

I hope this helps.

Oh thank you so very much, this helps tremendously. I am so happy to knw the details you laid out here. I have a 4 digit chipped card so I am set in that regard.
Thank you again!
Nannette

When we visited Morocco in February we couldn't find ATM machines that would take cards without chip. Our ATM cards do not have chips. We ended up having to make cash advances on the credit card, that actually had chip, and ended up costing more on bank fees. We have called the bank and they still do not have chip on the debit card. Is this the same situation in the Camino?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, absolutely you need a 4-digit PIN code to use your card at ATMs on the Camino/in Spain (and other European countries). Buen Camino, SY

When we visited Morocco in February we couldn't find ATM machines that would take cards without chip. Our ATM cards do not have chips. We ended up having to make cash advances on the credit card, that actually had chip, and ended up costing more on bank fees. We have called the bank and they still do not have chip on the debit card. Is this the same situation in the Camino?
As already stated you will need a ATM card with a 4-digit pincode, used over all in Europe.
Wish you well, Peter.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back