• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I didn't double stamp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimsky

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm on the Camino Frances and I started from León. I just realised that I was meant to double stamp on the last 100km. I thought this was just for those only doing the last 100km, which was a silly misunderstanding.

I have 40km (2 days left) so will do it from now on, but will I not be able to get my accreditation because of this? Will it be a problem? Please let me know, thank you!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The volunteers in the pilgrims office can and often do, use their discretion to award the Compostela to those who have walked farther but have forgotten to get two stamps per day in the last 100 km. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola - as usual some good simple advice. Since your start date and location will be clearly evident on the PP your pilgrimage will be clear. The Pilgrim Office staff might as you some questions - like did you walk every KM, what places did you stop for coffee or lunch. But yes if it gets a bit tricky certainly ask for the supervisor, tell the WHOLE TRUTH about being forgetful in getting those two stamps for the last 100 km. Buen Camino

You shuld have no problems if you do what others have already told you; explain your case politely and in case that does not work, ask for a supervisor. I that case, you can also try to show them pictures you have made or tickets of purchases of the places you've gone through.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,

I'm on the Camino Frances and I started from León. I just realised that I was meant to double stamp on the last 100km. I thought this was just for those only doing the last 100km, which was a silly misunderstanding.

I have 40km (2 days left) so will do it from now on, but will I not be able to get my accreditation because of this? Will it be a problem? Please let me know, thank you!!
Assuming you took photos with your phone, all photos are date, time, and location stamped. First, present your analog case, with the appropriate regrets and conviction. Then offer to provide photos from your phone to establish your route of march and chronology.

On my iPhone, the town, GPS coordinates, time and date are all "stamped" into the digital .jpg file. I have seen this Plan B method used on several occasions over the years. It depends on when you arrive, and who you encounter at the counter.

Hope this helps - good luck.

Tom

Hi everyone,

Starting in SHPdP, I didn’t get the two stamps per day in the last 100k either - wasn’t an issue or even discussed when I collected my Compostela.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone,

I didn’t double stamp and I didn’t bother to get a Compostela but I’m sure they’ll accommodate you if you show them your stamps.
Missing the double stamps must be a regular occurrence.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walk less busy routes in the late autumn and seldom can get two stamps a day. There are not two locations open as I walk. More are closing for the season as I am walking the last 100 kms approaching Santiago. I can always get a stamp, or just an initial, wherever I stay for the night. But there isn't anywhere else open. It has never been a problem, nor have I ever been asked about it. I realize that you are walking in the summer, so your situation is different. But those who work in the Pilgrim Office are very understanding to the situations of pilgrims. As a first time pilgrim, you will be welcomed. Hopefully, this thread will be information for other first-timers.

I also didn't double stamp the last 100K. Had no problems getting my compostela, the issue wasn't even raised. Don't worry, it will be obvious that you have walked the distance. Relax and have a buen rest of your camino! Congratulations!

Hi everyone,

3 caminos and didn't double stamp on the last 100. Maybe one or two at bars here and there. I wouldn't worry.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow I thought the same as you, would only need 1 stump a day as I am starting from Porto. Thank you for telling me. I will try to get 2 stumps after Tui. Maybe get as many wherever I am.
When I do a long Camino I usually only get one per day until the last 100 km to make sure that I have enough spaces in my credential (I like to only use one credential per Camino), but on a shorter Camino like yours you may as well get as many as you want each day from the beginning - each one will be a memory for you to look back on

Hi everyone,

I’ve often not double stamped and never had a problem getting my compestella.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
With all Respect Due to those who stated that they had only 1 stamp and "never had an issue" - this has been discussed many time on the Forum and the overall consensus is that "this should be treated as an exception rather than normal"> The rules clearly state 2 stamps minimum per day for the last 100KM walked (IIRC 200 if bike or horse?) Any new Pilgrims who come here for much sought advises should not be mislead (however innocently) to thinking otherwise. yes, perhaps calling the supervisor might help, but if that person is also a 'stickler for rules' one might wind up being a very disappointed Pilgrim walking away without a Compostela...

I myself misunderstood it to be a min of 2 stamps\day EACH DAY and thus having only ONE per my first 3 days from SJPdP (I'm sure it can be understood that my mind was not on stamps what with ascending Mt Everest and descending the Marianna Trench (thankfully dry) 😊) - I was completely terrified! Of course later on I've learned that all was well, and once I "became (ahem) an experienced Pilgrim" - which I guess happened on the Day 4 🙄 - I took my 1st stamp in the 1st bar\cafe\restaurant I stopped to have my Dessayuno Numero Uno and the 2nd one - in albergue-del Dia. Once "in the groove" its not that hard to do and then... God Only Knows how many other places one can get a stamp....

I do hope it works out for you @nimsky
Good luck and Buen Camino

When I do a long Camino I usually only get one per day until the last 100 km to make sure that I have enough spaces in my credential (I like to only use one credential per Camino), but on a shorter Camino like yours you may as well get as many as you want each day from the beginning - each one will be a memory for you to look back on
Iran out of official spaces from Porto to SDC, but had the stamps added across the maps on the back. No-one queried it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I seldom had two stamps per day. The volunteer spent perhaps 10-20 seconds checking my credential before printing my compestella.

Starting in SHPdP, I didn’t get the two stamps per day in the last 100k either - wasn’t an issue or even discussed when I collected my Compostela.
The Pilgrim Office staff KNOW if you walked all the way from France. They will generally cut you a break when considering the rule about two stamps per day in the final 100 km.

The "long walker pilgrim:" St. Jean Pied de Port, Lisbon, Porto, Hendaye, Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla. etc. has a look, smell, attitude, and overall presentation about him or her that the "short walker pilgrim" (Sarria - Tui) cannot replicate. Their gear also reflects having spent more time on the Camino than a casual walk from the 100 km threshold.

Being a military veteran, I liken it to someone who has actually seen combat, vs. someone who has not. You CAN tell the difference - and more importantly - so can the pilgrim office staff.

Hope this helps.

Tom

If you have trouble, ask to speak with Santi: He is the "head" of many things in the Pilgrim Office.
Santi no longer works at the Pilgrim Office - at least he was recently gone when I was there in August 2022. Dunno what the situation is now.

I recommend asking for either Cesar or Suso. Both men are senior staff members or managers and can help you.

Hope this helps,

Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everyone,

I did the same route as you this time last year and forgot to double stamp once on the last 100km. I still had no problem getting my certificate.

Hi everyone,

Whether or not you get a piece of paper with your name in latin, you did the hike and had your own experience that nobody else can credit to you or deny from you. I'm sure they'll give it to you anyway; the paper itself doesn't mean much compared to the memories you made.

If you did not pick up a Compostela will you still have completed your camino, or pilgrimage?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everyone,

I was in a similar situation last year. I didn't know about the double stamp rule. When I did find out, I did start double stamping. They either did not notice when got my Compostela or they just figured that someone with stamps going back everyday to SJPDP wouldn't lie about having done the last 100 Km.

Hi everyone,

Way back in 2014, they said to get double stamps. I didn’t. No one mentioned anything once I got to Santiago. Maybe things have changed…

I'm sure that it's very reassuring for @nimsky to hear from so many others who were able to receive their Compostela without having two stamps per day in the final 100 km, but it's best to follow the rule from the Pilgrim Office because it makes it easier for you and the staff in the Pilgrim Office, most of whom are volunteering their time to be there, to whom we are grateful.

Here's the pertinent wording on the Pilgrim Office website (I believe that it's also printed on many credentials):

You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you did not pick up a Compostela will you still have completed your camino, or pilgrimage?
Many people consider it so. There are a number of repeat pilgrims who stop asking for Compostelas. Your pilgrimage ends when you reach the destination you are walking to. For those walking for religious reasons, that is often the tomb of St. James. For others, it is the Plaza de Obradoiro in front of the cathedral. For others it might not be in Santiago at all but in Finisterre or Muxía.

If you are walking towards a Compostela, though, you might not consider it complete until the Compostela is received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back