• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I plan on doing the the Frances is it possible to go to Mass everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

John White

Time of past OR future Camino
unsure when but one day soon
I have read different things and have questions. My plan is to do the Camino as a Pilgrimage. Is it possbile to attend Mass every day along the way. Should I plan on reserving rooms in each town or hope that the hostels will have room? I worry about how my knees will hold out are there doctors along the way?

If all goes to my plan I start in early July is this a good/bad or OK time for weather, crowds, ... Thanks in advance for you replies and advice.
John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have read different things and have questions. My plan is to do the Camino as a Pilgrimage. Is it possbile to attend Mass every day along the way. Should I plan on reserving rooms in each town or hope that the hostels will have room? I worry about how my knees will hold out are there doctors along the way?

If all goes to my plan I start in early July is this a good/bad or OK time for weather, crowds, ... Thanks in advance for you replies and advice.
John
Hi John, as already stated you will have a hard time attending Mass every day.
The weather is at it is, we can predict it.
There are doctors along the way.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

John

You're going to need this link.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zcf5zDxSIzv4.kExF_twLHLRg&msa=0

I start in early July is this a good/bad or OK time for weather, crowds
July and August are the busiest months, so there will be crowds! The numbers are barely tapering off in October of this year, with 700 to 1,500 a day. It is becoming harder to find a bed, so reserving ahead may be a good idea. Crowds are not a problem if you keep a good attitude about them. :) Buen camino.

Don't get fixated on needing to go to mass each and every day - but there will be lots of opportunities to pray in churches along the way - also monastries and convents

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Probably not EVERY day, but I had a couple of pilgrims with me two years ago that nearly managed to attend Mass every day!
You'll need to check the door of the church in each village where you stay for times, as they change.

Rebekah is on the ground and knows more of this than I do, but in eight Caminos I had little trouble in finding a mass in a village church in the evening and I would agree with Anniesantiago.- I would guess about 80% of the time-- and this includes less-frequented Caminos. With the lessening number of priests, I think that mass availability will also diminish in the next few years but others have described how this should not be a killer for the churchgoing pilgrim. Your challenge might be simply that it is not always easy to find out what time masses are-- many churches do not post times, and not everyone in a village or town will know-- we need to remember that many Spaniards are not believers and honestly will have no idea. Even hospitaleros will not always know but, as Rebekah once advised me, when you need to know something in Spain, ask the bartender. If he doesn't know, he'll find out for you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

John
John, Usually not where one may be stopping.... which can be a little village somewhere. They'd have a church alright, but no one to say mass.... which is sad. What I've learned is to find out the nearest place to where you will be sleeping.... a town or city.... get a taxi back and forth.... and you'd be able to attend a mass in the evenings. I've done this.... sometimes its hard on the pocket if you're doing this alone, but you are very likely to find fellow pilgrims who might want to join you and thereby share the taxi fare. Buen Camino

You could only find a Mass every day if you focused during your Camino on nothing else -- then, you might find a priest to walk with.

Your Camino, not ours. Does sound like a superb plan though :)

You could only find a Mass every day if you focused during your Camino on nothing else -- then, you might find a priest to walk with.

Your Camino, not ours. Does sound like a superb plan though :)
Well, yes....you might have more success if you found a priest to walk with!
Joking apart, not all priests say Mass every day, but they do recite the Hours. Liturgias de las Horas ( not sure how you say it in English)! Sometimes we have searched around for a Mass and no one could tell us anything! The attentive Hospitalero should know. But...!
I definately must say that I have NOT found Mass said every time I stopped for the day (or even the next morning)!
However, you will find many churches open during the day, so, take a pause......

€83,-
John, I just returned from 14 nights on the Camino, SJPP to Burgos. We attended mass every day but 2 -- Valcarlos and Larasoana. On 2 occasions I even managed, quite by accident, to go to Mass morning and evening.

Masses were without doubt the highlight of my pilgrimage, in fact, for me, that's what made it a pilgrimage :). Here are a couple special moments:

In virtually all cases, the Mass celebrated was a pilgrim's Mass. Each priest did things slightly differently, but we were almost always called forward after the final blessing and special prayers were said. In one case each pilgrim was given a Cross of Lorraine, which had just been blessed at Mass and the priest personally placed it around the neck of each pilgrim. In another we were invited to ring a special pilgrim's bell (3 times each) and then each of us signed the church guest book with our names, countries, and the date of our visit. At another church, we read gospel passages that were particularly appropriate for pilgrims and then prayed an Our Father together, each in our various languages!

On several occasions the priest made a point of telling us the people of the parish regularly pray for pilgrims and their safe journeys. And in every case the Spaniards in attendance motioned us up to the front if we seemed uncertain.

Mass was usually at 7:30 or 8 pm, plenty of time to shower, wash clothes, even enjoy a vino tinto without breaking the hour fast :D. Times were always posted on the church doors.

We were sticking to the standard Brierley stages, so I don't know how easily available Mass would be if you stopped in some small town that didn't see a lot of pilgrims. But I did see signs on the doors of several churches where I stopped in during the day.

I think it may be a matter of "seek and ye shall find." Good luck to you and Buen Camino! -- Bala

I should have also noted that one of my Australian friends was sufficiently taken by Spanish churches (she was Assemblies of God and so people from Oz will know the significance of this) that she would not only attend the village mass but would often join the local women who would gather to say the rosary in the absence of a priest.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Likely you're right, but apart from Easter Friday and Saturday, they are required to.
Well, we used to have an Italian Friend priest who often came and stayed with us here, (now sadly departed). I asked him once regards saying Mass each day and he said no, but he was obliged to say the Liturgia de las Horas. He would sometimes attend a weekday Mass when with us and only on Sunday's did he co-celebrate.
Until then, I always supposed that priests should say daily Mass.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, we used to have an Italian Friend priest who often came and stayed with us here, (now sadly departed). I asked him once regards saying Mass each day and he said no, but he was obliged to say the Liturgia de las Horas. He would sometimes attend a weekday Mass when with us and only on Sunday's did he co-celebrate.
Until then, I always supposed that priests should say daily Mass.

Many priests fail to adhere to the requirement, but that doesn't mean it's non-existent.

Though it's true on the other hand that saying the Mass alone is actively discouraged.

Just for information, Catholic priests are under no obligation to celebrate Mass every day.

They are obliged to celebrate the Liturgy of the Hours (the 'Office') however.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am currently in Sahagun, after walking from Ledigos this morning (Sunday). I found a mass to attend, but largely by accident. There was no mass posted on the church door at Ledigid, none at Teradillo de los Templarios, a mass for last Sunday posted at Moratinos, and a woma n with a large key heading for the church in San Nicolas del Real Camino. When I pointed out to her that I had passed four churches with only one mass, her response was "12 churches, one priest." Yes, there are evening masses various days of the week in the larger Camino centres, although I had to miss the mass in Fromista this week, because it was not in one of the nearer churches that are known to me. From what I have seen so far, churches are almost always locked, except for scheduled masses. If these are posted somewhere, it will probably not be on the locked door or gate outside the church. If you stay only in major centres and make a priority of attending mass, you may manage to do so several times a week. But I defer to those with more experience than myself.

I am a Catholic priest.
Catholic priests are not obliged to celebrate Mass every day.

The Code of Canon Law, as revised in 1983 states:
Canon 276,2,2: [Clerics] are to nourish their spiritual life from the two-fold table of sacred scripture and the Eucharist; therefore, priests are earnestly invited [my italics] to offer the eucharistic sacrifice daily and deacons to participate in its offering daily;
while Canon276.2.3 states:
-priests and deacons aspiring to the presbyterate are obliged [my italics] to carry out the liturgy of the hours daily according to the proper and approved liturgical books; permanent deacons, however, are to carry out the same to the extent defined by the conference of bishops;

In relation to saying Mass alone, the "old" Code of Canon Law (1917) required a "grave" cause, while the present Code requires [merely] a "just" cause.
In the new Code, Canon 906 states: Except for a just and reasonable cause, a priest is not to celebrate the eucharistic sacrifice without the participation of at least some member of the faithful. [So this is a relaxation].

Canon 904 states: Remembering always that in the mystery of the eucharistic sacrifice the work of redemption is exercised continually, priests are to celebrate frequently; indeed, daily celebration is recommended earnestly [my itlalics] since, even if the faithful cannot be present, it is the act of Christ and the Church in which priests fulfill their principal function.

I'm confused. Preists saying mass to noone serves à purpose, or not? And is something prefered to not saying it at all? But is not mandatory? Is that correct? Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am a Catholic priest.
I would agree with several people above, that approx 80% of the time (on the Camino Frances) it is possible to find a Mass, assuming you are staying in at least a village of some sort. Times vary 7pm, 7:30pm or 8pm. Albergues usually have a notice somewhere, but it may often have been obscured by other notices. My experience has been that local priests are generally very welcoming of pilgrims, and often the evening Mass is specifically designated as a "pilgrim Mass." By which I mean, participation of non-Spanish speakers is encouraged. The first reading and/or the Gospel may be read in another language as well as, or instead of, Spanish. If I was concelebrating, I was usually invited to say part of the Canon of the Mass in English.
I was in Santa Catalina de Somoza (between Astorga and Rabanal) earlier this year on Sunday morning about to have a coffee break when I heard a bell ringing and went to investigate. I was able to join 6 other people for Sunday Mass!
In addition, parochial albergues, and convent and monastery albergues will always have Mass and/or Evening prayer and a pilgrim blessing. Sometimes, as in Rabanal, the Mass is in the morning when most people will have moved on. If you have never been to Evening or Night Prayer, and would like to experience it, may I recommend in particular the parochial albergue in Carrion de los Condes, the Benedictine Monastery in Rabanal, the large Benedictine Convent (with albergue) in Leon, the Benedictine convent in Sahagun, the Parochial albergue in Tosantos, and many others. For people with no experience of formal Christianity, or of a Catholic service, evening prayer is very approachable and certainly everyone is welcome.
My experience of walking on the Norte is that it is much harder to find a pilgrim mass.

Last edited:
To the OP
I am a physician. I am a physician who chooses always not to heal himself.
So I have on the odd occasion looked for medical advice along the way. The Farmacia is generally a very reliable place to get advice and treatment. And as noted above, the pharmacist relatively likely to speak some English. They can also point you in the direction of a clinic if necessary. I had to consult a doctor this year, in order to get a prescription medicine. It was quick and simple and (at least for EEC nationals with an EHIC), entirely free. There was a nominal charge for prescription medication, perhaps €8.
I also consulted a chiropodist once in Carrion de los Condes (called Inigo) who was exceptionally helpful. Certainly along the Frances, people want to help you I think!

I'm confused. Preists saying mass to noone serves à purpose, or not? And is something prefered to not saying it at all? But is not mandatory? Is that correct? Thank you.
@Anemone del Camino
Mass, that is the Eucharist, is a sacrifice offered to God, so saying Mass without a 'congregation' does "serve a purpose". But generally it is the act of the Christian community, so it is considered preferable to have others to take part. But it is not strictly required to have others present, whereas before 1983 it was much more strongly required.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Anemone del Camino
Mass, that is the Eucharist, is a sacrifice offered to God, so saying Mass without a 'congregation' does "serve a purpose". But generally it is the act of the Christian community, so it is considered preferable to have others to take part. But it is not strictly required to have others present, whereas before 1983 it was much more strongly required.
And then do you go through all its different parts, or just jump the communion, no readings, etc.?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Anemone del Camino

Slightly off topic. I remember years ago on a regular holiday in Extremadura we were visiting the Monasterio de la Virgen de Guadalupe( Extremadura, Spain ) . It was low season and we had a guided tour with three Spanish people, my partner and a German priest. The tour was in Spanish and I translated in Dutch to my partner and he translated it to German for the priest.
After closing time the priest celebrated Mass at the main altar only for my partner and myself. A very special and unique experience indeed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@JabbaPapa -

What this all boils down to is that "recommended earnestly" really means "are ordinarily required to"

Ummm... I am thinking that you do not have to get involved with much in the way of law. And, good for you, if that's the case. But I think I'll read the Canon Law in strict, legal sense rather than with your interesting (tho' apparently earnest) substitutions in word meanings.

Let it go... the OP has some very good answers above from recent experience, and probably little need (interest?;)) of education in Canon Law.

B

A reminder that Forum Rules do not allow discussions about religion. We do tolerate quite a bit because of the nature of the Camino, but the line was crossed in this thread. No personal insults or attacks please.

I think the OP has had his question answered so for now I will close the thread.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back