• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it crazy for me to walk the camino Frances / Norte without a smartphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aberonni

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte or Frances (still not sure)
Hello pilgrims!

I will soon be walking my first ever camino - I should be arriving in Biarritz on the 3rd of May.

I would like to rely only on a "dumb phone" (think Nokia 3310) for the majority of the trip and only pack my smartphone for emergencies.

To give you some context on how I plan on walking the route: I would like to not make any sleeping arrangements in advance and I am fine with any type of accommodation that doesn't require sleeping bad / bedding because I would like to pack as light as possible. I read that most recommend to book a couple of days in advance and I wonder whether relying only on the accommodation options that I can find in my book guides will be sufficient for this kind of approach.

I am leaning towards camino del Norte because I would prefer a quieter walk, but I wonder whether it will be easier to find sleeping arrangements last-minute along the camino Frances.

Bear in mind that I've never done a multi-day hike before, let alone without having accommodation planned in advance - so I'm a bit anxious about the idea of not having anything booked in advance. Then again, I don't want to book everything in advance to try and really lean into the experience; nor would I like to have to rely on my smartphone.

What do you think?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi!
You are still packing your smartphone though, or have I read this wrong?
Then just keep it switched off. You don’t need another one….
In an emergency, you’d be glad to have it. It’s also useful to take photos 😉🙂

I would like to not make any sleeping arrangements in advance and I am fine with any type of accommodation that doesn't require sleeping bad / bedding because I would like to pack as light as possible.
I would seriously suggest you do take a sleeping bag or some other combination if you do not want to be restricted to private hostals or hotels. Even private albergues require you to bring your bedding….
Especially if you are not booking in advance.
Just my take on things.

Last edited:
Then again, I don't want to book everything in advance to try and really lean into the experience; nor would I like to have to rely on my smartphone.

I think you answered your own question! Not crazy at all. A lot of people seem to use their Camino as a chance to unplug, so I'm sure you won't be alone in your decision to not rely on your smartphone. (And if you still plan on taking it for emergencies, maybe switched off and tucked away in the deepest recesses of your pack, you'll be covered in case you change your mind about it along the way.) Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You are not alone. There are more of us out there than you think. I have smart phone but I only plan to use it for taking photos. I don’t plan to make any reservation nor bringing any bedding items. My backpack weigh in at 8.6 lbs and I am still trying to take more thing off. I figure the worst thing can happen is that I either have to spend a few more Euros for a more expensive place or sleeping in front of a church somewhere. Either way, it is not the end of the world. Everything will be fine the next day. You will have a few stories to tell.

I have not done a Camino before, but I have done many long treks in EU, Asia and North America. I think you will be fine not booking ahead. Why bound yourself down with a reservation. Live free and be happy.

Buen Camino.

We did both the CF and CP without phones. We did have an older apple iPod , just so we had the ability to send/ receive email and perhaps a little music. We enjoyed the lack of immediate communication that seems to be so normal nowadays. Allowed us to focus on being together and in the ‘now’. The email was mostly as a ‘in case of emergency’, though I remember when you could communicate with post cards or letters only.
But the world is smaller now I guess.
But I was pleased to share the Camino in ‘real time’ with my wife beside me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please read what I wrote re smartphones in this earlier post.
Your carrying one my help save another pilgrim's life.

A very important thing to keep in mind! But also remember that a "dumb" phone can dial 112 as well as a "smart" one can, without the potential for the kind of distractions that the OP is presumably trying to avoid.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We did both the CF and CP without phones. We did have an older apple iPod , just so we had the ability to send/ receive email and perhaps a little music. We enjoyed the lack of immediate communication that seems to be so normal nowadays. Allowed us to focus on being together and in the ‘now’. The email was mostly as a ‘in case of emergency’, though I remember when you could communicate with post cards or letters only.
But the world is smaller now I guess.
But I was pleased to share the Camino in ‘real time’ with my wife beside me.
I first started Camino 2003/2004. I did not have a phone. I used pay phones in bars etc. Very few people had them. Now I cant go for a pee in the middle of the night ( I will be 84 in July) without consulting the bloody thing.. We pilgrims actually talked to each other :)

Times change. Buen Camino :)

Samarkand.

A millennia of pilgrims would say, “not crazy!”. BUT they did carry bedding! A sleep sack is tiny, weighs nothing, and opens up all the options for accommodations.

The first time I walked the Camino all I had was a regular old Nokia phone. Didn't even have a local SIM card in it. I also didn't have a guidebook with detailed maps or an app on a phone showing me the route. None of that, and guess what? I survived! lol :D
Even when I walk it now my smartphone has no local service and I only use it for photos and the internet. Probably 75% of the time it remains off and tucked in a pocket in my backpack to save the charge. I also dread the task of jockeying for an electrical outlet at the albergues. God, what a bore that is and reminds me of the nonsense I'm walking away from when I do the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just like Malingerer but my first Camino was in 2011, no phone just a small point and shoot camera and the Internet was wherever I could find it at libraries and some albergues. I miss those days, now I can waste my time updating my investments on an hourly basis if I need to with my smartphone.

One additional note: THE Norte is NOT the Frances in terms of pilgrim support. Long distances and remote areas make advance planning a bit more important especially since you’ve never done a multi-day walk.

Thrust in Allah but tether your camels. ☺️
Bring your smartphone but use it for emergency and photos.
I have done eleven Caminos without a cell phone, I will be doing the Norte for the third time and again without a phone. If it is necessary I get a phone card from the Tabaco shop and use a payphone which has happened only once. All those cell phones at night in hostels are a disturbance. Buen Camino hermanos/ hermanas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Crazy? No. Inconvenient? Maybe. I liked having mine a lot! But you can skip a phone altogether if that is what you want to do! (My husband would flip if I didn't bring mine haha). But I think your better approach would be to just bring the smart phone and only use the phone feature - instead of carrying 2 phones. Plus - if you need places to sleep that have all bedding - you may need your phone more than those of us who will sleep in any type of bed accommodations.

To the OP - you don't need a smart phone, unless you want the convenience, which comes with its drawbacks.

We pilgrims actually talked to each other
Passive aggressive criticism of present-day pilgrims is not necessary. In the old days (when I walked to school - both ways uphill, of course), more than once I walked into a telephone pole or parked car while reading a book. I would never have traveled without a book to put my nose into when I didn't feel like socializing.

Passive aggressive criticism of present-day pilgrims is not necessary. In the old days (when I walked to school - both ways uphill, of course), more than once I walked into a telephone pole or parked car while reading a book. I would never have traveled without a book to put my nose into when I didn't feel like socializing
Exactly right. And some of us who are looking at our phones aren't posting on Twitter and Facebook but are reading a guidebook or other book using the Kindle app on the phone. Of course some of us could be posting on the forum... 😄

To the OP - you don't need a smart phone, unless you want the convenience, which comes with its drawbacks.

In the old days (when I walked to school - both ways uphill, of course),
I did the same but barefoot in "the old days" 😊 thankfully my kids and grandkids have shoes. Some of us move with the times. 😁

Hello pilgrims!

I will soon be walking my first ever camino - I should be arriving in Biarritz on the 3rd of May.

I would like to rely only on a "dumb phone" (think Nokia 3310) for the majority of the trip and only pack my smartphone for emergencies.

To give you some context on how I plan on walking the route: I would like to not make any sleeping arrangements in advance and I am fine with any type of accommodation that doesn't require sleeping bad / bedding because I would like to pack as light as possible. I read that most recommend to book a couple of days in advance and I wonder whether relying only on the accommodation options that I can find in my book guides will be sufficient for this kind of approach.

I am leaning towards camino del Norte because I would prefer a quieter walk, but I wonder whether it will be easier to find sleeping arrangements last-minute along the camino Frances.

Bear in mind that I've never done a multi-day hike before, let alone without having accommodation planned in advance - so I'm a bit anxious about the idea of not having anything booked in advance. Then again, I don't want to book everything in advance to try and really lean into the experience; nor would I like to have to rely on my smartphone.

What do you think?
The first time I walked I used my phone only to contact my husband back home every day or so, and to take photos. I also didnt take a guide book.
I didnt book ahead using my phone. I'd normally ask the hospitalera what the next place offered, and sometimes they rang ahead for me, if they thought it was wise to secure a bed. Maybe about 1/3 of the time.
I found some of my best places that way, I wouldnt have a clue about the place until I turned up.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Exactly right. And some of us who are looking at our phones aren't posting on Twitter and Facebook but are reading a guidebook or other book using the Kindle app on the phone. Of course some of us could be posting on the forum... 😄
I was using my Camino Apps and Camino guidebooks (on my phone kindle). I checked Gronze . com regularly for open albergues and for looking up albergue phone numbers and emails. I did log onto facebook once a day - and posted about my day (instead of journaling). Didn't do anything else on facebook - but my family at home was following my journey on facebook! I had my camera - but did also use my phone for pictures sometimes. And on rare occasion - I turned on my music (on days when I saw no one - on the Meseta). But my favorite feature was the GPS for when I couldn't find the arrows/shells or knew I had l lost the path. Even with all of that - I didn't spend anywhere near as much time on my phone as I would have had I stayed home. I kept my phone on airplane mode most of the time. It was quite lovely - but when I did use it - it only enhanced my experience.

You might want to use the scientific method rather than accumulating the opinions of total strangers.

Observation: The majority of pilgrims carry a smart phone for various reasons.
Hypothesis: Thread title.
Prediction: Crazy/not crazy.
Experiment/Test: Walk to SdC w/o a cell phone.
Result(s): Hypothesis will be either supported (crazy) or not by actually walking to SdC w/o a cell phone.

Times have changed, that’s all. In 2012, I used the available computers in albergues or libraries or internet cafes ( you fed them coins!) to change my plane bookings. Then I had to book a hotel in Finisterre to use their facilities to print my boarding card. It was the only way.
Much easier now with those ‘smart phones’ which seem to do everything.
I don’t understand the problem, just switch them off when you don’t need them.
It is very difficult to do without them now as everyone everywhere expects you to have one.
If you are hooked on them, then it’s a different story…
I personally see them as an aid, just like the land phone must have been in the 1930s 😁

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like 20% of the over-55s in the UK, I don't have a smartphone, and don't see the need for one - but that's probably a generational thing. I suspect my grandparents didn't see the need for Mr Bell's speaking machine - what's wrong with a letter? I've had no difficulty navigating my way through France and Spain, but I do carry a basic phone, (Nokia 100) and a Kindle, and use that for emails and, if no phone signal, Skype. Each to their own. But I do regret the passing of ad hoc conversations between strangers - not easy when everyone else is scrolling through a screen!

One additional note: THE Norte is NOT the Frances in terms of pilgrim support. Long distances and remote areas make advance planning a bit more important especially since you’ve never done a multi-day walk.
I don't plan on the Norte, I throw caution to the wind, that's what the Camino is for me whatever happens. Oh, and I am seventy-seven and just take day by day.

Hello pilgrims!

What do you think?

You do not need a smart phone, period.

The Frances will be more populated and have more frequent accommodation. I always recommend the Frances to first time walkers for these two reasons.

The Norte is more challenging with less frequent accommodation.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't suppose Starkie had a phone, smart or dumb.

I didn't have either on my first Camino (2008), but there were plenty of pay phones in those days.

My wife insisted I had some kind of mobile phone on subsequent Caminos. My first was a dumb phone. I graduated to a smart phone in 2016. It lives in my pack, switched off most of the time. I find it most useful for email and banking.

Hello pilgrims!

What do you think?
Aside from personal choices - mine is to be connected even after death

I would think that one thing alone says - carry a smartphone

Here is a precise what3words address, made of 3 random words. Every 3 metre square in the world has its own unique what3words address.

///hook.dive.latched

You don't need a smartphone on the Francés.

You do not need it to check into albergues, to buy food, or to eat at a restaurant. If you need a taxi or want to know where the bus stop is, you can ask locals at a bar, or your hospitalero. You can withdraw money from atms without a cell phone. You can let your family know you're fine without a smartphone (post cards still exist, or use a "dumb" phone). For pre-booking accommodation, you can call the phone numbers of the albergue/hostal/hotel printed in your guide book or from the list you got in St. Jean with a "dumb" phone, or ask your host of the day or a fellow pilgrim to do it for you, if your spanish is not good. Or even the tourist information in the bigger towns. But pre booking is Not needed also, most of the time, apart from bottlenecks (Roncesvalles-Pamplona) and the last 100km. And even there it depends.

So, for the most important things during your walk, no smartphone is needed. At all. One thing that might be a bit more complicated is getting your Compostela, but even that apparently is still possible for those who don't have a smartphone.

If you want to do online banking, book/change flights while walking, have an online blog or whatever, book your accommodation via booking.com, ect. - Well then you probably need it.

One additional thing: bring a lightweight sleeping bag, or at the very least a liner. Bedding will not be available in most albergues. It will be rubber coated matresses most of the time. Heating will often be switched off at night, if it exists at all. At higher altitude it can get below zero Celsius even in summer. Imagine how cold that would be in an unheated stone building! A lightweight sleeping bag weighs 500g max, a liner 150-300. That's next to nothing. Leave one of the phones at home and instead make sure you don't freeze at night! I really don't know where that idea is coming from that a sleeping bag is a silly thing to carry. Must be a myth propagated by very warm sleepers and people staying in hotels! I've been cold at night *with* a sleeping bag some nights, even in july!

You don't NEED any kind of phone. If you want one, then take one. Not two. I've done Camino Santiago without, and with. If your phone will take dual SIM, then that's useful.
I once sailed with a friend from La Rochelle to Brazil. You know what? No cell phone reception at all. Sometimes there could have been radio contact with a tanker. We didn't bother trying. Our husbands just had to wait until we arrived to get our news. They survived.

You don't NEED any kind of phone. If you want one, then take one. Not two. I've done Camino Santiago without, and with. If your phone will take dual SIM, then that's useful.
I once sailed with a friend from La Rochelle to Brazil. You know what? No cell phone reception at all. Sometimes there could have been radio contact with a tanker. We didn't bother trying. Our husbands just had to wait until we arrived to get our news. They survived.

whilst one can be out of reception easily -- that doesn't knock out all the benefits of a smart phone though - not at all - some thoughts

1. you have a gps - it will work offline
2. there's great offline maps and mapping apps
3. there's apps like .what3words' - which work offline
4. you might not be able to get data - but, sometimes, you can get voice - otherwise - you can type up a text and send -- text needs only a blink to operate - send coordinates or a 3 word
5. it's a camera - and, modern ones - good cameras
6. you can have a saved emergency/first aid plan for ref. if needed

each person has their own decision and preference - but, what I say is that - wait until the poop hits the fan and you are out in the boondocks, don't know exactly where you are, you or partner can't walk and along comes someone with a phone ----

the question ------- are you going to use their offer of aid - using their preference for being prepared - or are you going to make up a stick bush stretcher and drag your partner to safety??

for me - in the modern world -------- to think about not taking a smart phone ---- pffffffffft

One week into my boating from Calais to south of Paris - I found a body in a canal - a main canal. I can't speak french - luckily - I have a mate who speaks both french perfectly and English - I rang him - I sent him a what3word position - he called police

within 10 minutes, canal traffic was stopped, at about 20 minutes, an army of police and emergency vehicles arrived --- and, not one of them could speak French

I had an interview with police on my boat - a 3 way interview on speaker with my mate translating

it's 2022 -- we have smartphones ----------- others can feel differently - but, I tell you what - the day that I'm the one that needs help and I'm injured - I hope madly that the person who comes along has the technology with them to help -------------- end of story

A normal "dumb" phone is enough to make phone calls, to call emergency service ect.

The Camino Francés is not a wilderness hike. You are walking from village to village, most of the time on well maintained paths, most of the time within sight of civilization and/or other people.

If anyone prefers to bring a smartphone, that's fine, but those who don't are not irresponsible for not doing that. An old Nokia can be used for calling 112. No "smart" function necessary for that. If you are unable to say where you are, then of course that's a problem (using navigation systems instead of maps apparently has a negative effect on people's sense of orientation, by the way).

I find it more crazy not to carry essentials like a basic first aid kit, at least a liner for sleeping, proper rain gear ect., just so that your pack will stay <3/4/5kg and fit into a tiny day pack.

But opinions of course can be different ;-)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
whilst one can be out of reception easily -- that doesn't knock out all the benefits of a smart phone though - not at all - some thoughts

1. you have a gps - it will work offline
2. there's great offline maps and mapping apps
3. there's apps like .what3words' - which work offline
4. you might not be able to get data - but, sometimes, you can get voice - otherwise - you can type up a text and send -- text needs only a blink to operate - send coordinates or a 3 word
5. it's a camera - and, modern ones - good cameras
6. you can have a saved emergency/first aid plan for ref. if needed

each person has their own decision and preference - but, what I say is that - wait until the poop hits the fan and you are out in the boondocks, don't know exactly where you are, you or partner can't walk and along comes someone with a phone ----

the question ------- are you going to use their offer of aid - using their preference for being prepared - or are you going to make up a stick bush stretcher and drag your partner to safety??

for me - in the modern world -------- to think about not taking a smart phone ---- pffffffffft

One week into my boating from Calais to south of Paris - I found a body in a canal - a main canal. I can't speak french - luckily - I have a mate who speaks both french perfectly and English - I rang him - I sent him a what3word position - he called police

within 10 minutes, canal traffic was stopped, at about 20 minutes, an army of police and emergency vehicles arrived --- and, not one of them could speak French

I had an interview with police on my boat - a 3 way interview on speaker with my mate translating

it's 2022 -- we have smartphones ----------- others can feel differently - but, I tell you what - the day that I'm the one that needs help and I'm injured - I hope madly that the person who comes along has the technology with them to help -------------- end of story

The primary reason I walk is to disconnect from the daily noise of regular life. It is not because I have problems with my life. I utilize the Camino as an introspective journey. A place where I can think through things without the daily distractions of regular life. I have found it to be an ideal environment to identify changes I want to make in myself. Something I find more difficult to do at home.

That said, I would adjust my original post by saying it depends on why you are walking the Camino. If you are on an introspective journey a non-smart phone is adequate. If you are on an outward journey, blogging, an influencer etc. etc. you will need a smart phone.

There are Caminos, imo, that can provide an environment that meets both needs.

I would still recommend the Frances over the Norte for a first time, inexperienced walker.

Hello pilgrims!

What do you think?
Not dumb at all! Smart to have a phone for emergencies which do happen.

TAKE A SMART PHONE…. But you can leave it tucked away
COVID changed a lot of things and you will need it for many things related to your travel and getting your Compostella. Having it doesn’t mean you have to use it regularly, but knowing pilgrims who were injured on the trail, I wouldn’t go without one. Know the emergency number of 112.
The difference in my need for a smartphone on Camino 6 years ago was very different from my needs in 2021.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The primary reason I walk is to disconnect from the daily noise of regular life. It is not because I have problems with my life. I utilize the Camino as an introspective journey. A place where I can think through things without the daily distractions of regular life. I have found it to be an ideal environment to identify changes I want to make in myself. Something I find more difficult to do at home.

That said, I would adjust my original post by saying it depends on why you are walking the Camino. If you are on an introspective journey a non-smart phone is adequate. If you are on an outward journey, blogging, an influencer etc. etc. you will need a smart phone.

There are Caminos, imo, that can provide an environment that meets both needs.

I would still recommend the Frances over the Norte for a first time, inexperienced walker.
I understand that

they all come with an off button though.

I sometimes walk or bike with music and without -- if I choose without - I just don't wear earbuds and I don't have the music app running.

I can't see any issue with silence - or ignoring a phone if one wishes to - just don't turn it on,

I can see a huge issue if something happens and one needs resources - and, I don't think it matters if one is on Wall street or in the boondocks.

I've seen some tragic situations that could have been so easily changed with using technology - and, I've seen some massive tech failures as well.

There was a rollover on a remote road in Oz on road called the Gibb River road - in summer - not a lot of passing traffic. The car rolled over many times - the occupants - in shock - had a personal epirb - they fired it.
The signal successfully reached the national capital where all emergency responses come to - and then dispatched -- the alert was dispatched - AND received at the closest police station - where, magically - the police decided to ignore it until they heard something more

duh!

thankfully, the first person who arrived on the scene had a sat phone - and, from there action began.

What I have learned is when something goes wrong - often, the whole thing goes pearshaped. That can happen in the middle of a city or the middle of a desert.

Also - I like to know where I am at any time - exact will do nicely and fuss free nicely. Every journey is tracked and every picture can be tracked to the exact spot - that's a personal choice of course. As are my days where I like silence - only hearing the faint mysterious click of my shoes.

I discovered just how prized smartphones are on the Camino. I was about 80 kms from santiago and noticed a phone in the dirt. I dusted it off and it was still on. I was able to get it to a very happy young lady and learned how to keep the younger generation happy; give them their phones.

I think it is prudent to bring your smart phone with you because you may change your mind about things. I would bring a junker and get a SIM card from vodaphone and keep your card PIN number carefully with you. I would leave your SIM card from home at home. If your SIM card from home is stolen it can be used for two factor verification because often they are not protected by a PIN number (Canada and USA typically don't use the PIN option on the card). If your phone is stolen or lost, the SIM card is protected by the PIN number and they will only have 3 tries possible. If the SIM card is replaced, any two factor verification is no longer operative. In addition they will need to know the other PIN to start the phone.
Buen camino, however you choose to be plugged!

I had no phone at all on my first two caminos. My second camino was from Le Puy to Santiago and i just had a skinny little Michelin guide for the Le Puy Camino. No one spoke English and I speak no French. I had the Brierley book for both Caminos. I am still walking so I am living proof you can do it!!!!
As a first time pilgrim a guidebook would help. The Norte has pretty good infrastructure but nothing like the Frances. The norte in my mind is a more beautiful camino. I would think to calm your nerves and since you have no experience with a long camino I would recommend doing the Camino Frances first.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I had no phone at all on my first two caminos. My second camino was from Le Puy to Santiago and i just had a skinny little Michelin guide for the Le Puy Camino. No one spoke English and I speak no French. I had the Brierley book for both Caminos. I am still walking so I am living proof you can do it!!!!
As a first time pilgrim a guidebook would help. The Norte has pretty good infrastructure but nothing like the Frances. The norte in my mind is a more beautiful camino. I would think to calm your nerves and since you have no experience with a long camino I would recommend doing the Camino Frances first.
of course one can do it ------------ but, why would one do it?

I may not have walked a Camino - but, I've walked thousands of kilometres in strange lands and thousands more in my very large homeland - at night, in deserts, in dark streets and alleys, - on oceans (didn't walk there - used a boat, tried the walking - didn't work), mountains - etc.

of course I could have done it without a phone - I used to teach navigation, well before m phones were invented. I can still chart and plot with basic tools --

why would I??? -- there's a very good chance that my first Camino will be from Auxerre - I know how I operate - there'll be many places that I stray off the direct routes or planned routes --

I use a phone all the time - even here - yesterday - I wanted a supermarket - ok - which ones were open on a sunday and which aren't -? - big mystery? ----------- nope - google maps - check the opening hours - all done, all dusted.

wanna check if your bus is on time - open the app - yep - it's on time - or it's 15 minutes late -

see how one feels standing in a strange town at 4 am at what is supposed to be a bus stop - it's dark, it's cold, there's no one else there - there's a tiny sign saying bus stop --

3.59 - no bus - 4.00, no bus - 4.10 - no bus -------------- thoughts??

arrrh, am I at the right place ---

ta da -- open the bus app ----------- the bus is 16 minutes late

4.16 and 20 seconds --------- magically - the bus appears

I'll take my smart phone :):) - I'll also take my Apple watch which hasn't left my wrist since I got the first one except for charging - it monitors my heart 24/7 - the new model can do an ECG - etc etc.

can I live without them? -------------yeah, of course --

would I??? -------------- why would I?

of course one can do it ------------ but, why would one do it?

I may not have walked a Camino - but, I've walked thousands of kilometres in strange lands and thousands more in my very large homeland - at night, in deserts, in dark streets and alleys, - on oceans (didn't walk there - used a boat, tried the walking - didn't work), mountains - etc.

of course I could have done it without a phone - I used to teach navigation, well before m phones were invented. I can still chart and plot with basic tools --

why would I??? -- there's a very good chance that my first Camino will be from Auxerre - I know how I operate - there'll be many places that I stray off the direct routes or planned routes --

I use a phone all the time - even here - yesterday - I wanted a supermarket - ok - which ones were open on a sunday and which aren't -? - big mystery? ----------- nope - google maps - check the opening hours - all done, all dusted.

wanna check if your bus is on time - open the app - yep - it's on time - or it's 15 minutes late -

see how one feels standing in a strange town at 4 am at what is supposed to be a bus stop - it's dark, it's cold, there's no one else there - there's a tiny sign saying bus stop --

3.59 - no bus - 4.00, no bus - 4.10 - no bus -------------- thoughts??

arrrh, am I at the right place ---

ta da -- open the bus app ----------- the bus is 16 minutes late

4.16 and 20 seconds --------- magically - the bus appears

I'll take my smart phone :):) - I'll also take my Apple watch which hasn't left my wrist since I got the first one except for charging - it monitors my heart 24/7 - the new model can do an ECG - etc etc.

can I live without them? -------------yeah, of course --

would I??? -------------- why would I?
I take my smartphone now also. I didn't say she should walk without one I just said she could. ;) I also think and I bet you would agree when you walk the Camino Frances that it would not be tough or dangerous at all to walk it without a smartphone.

Hello pilgrims!

What do you think?
Well your question has been well and truly answered at this stage and if you are any closer to a decision then its a miracle.
I will close this thread now.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back