• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's been done before... cutlery/bowl/cup?

rainswift

Time of past OR future Camino
Jun 2024 - Portuguese Litoral + VE + Finisterre
I am a self-admitted gearhead, whose consumerist urge competes against my equally strong gram weenie tendencies. Here lies my confession. I've read some of the old threads on the cutlery/dishes debate and I'm going to set off a new discussion (hopefully anyway)!

As my Camino approaches (Portuguese Coastal + VE + Finisterre/Muxia in summer), I find myself wondering if I ought to bring cutlery, a foldable bowl, and a microwavable cup. You know, for communal meals and hot water for tea when there's no kettle, etc. I have a plastic cutlery set from camping that is a nice handfeel and will get through airport security, and a lightweight 16oz HDPE Nalgene. (Nalgenes are microwave-safe if they were made after 2008, though you will have to be careful with truly boiling water in a HDPE Nalgene, it can soften the bottle. Regular Nalgenes handle boiling water just fine). I also have a foldable bowl from camping, which can double as a bad plate/decent cutting board for sausage and cheese. For picnics and shared meals. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

I could:

- add a Sea to Summit Delta Cutlery Set, 17 g on my scale without the plastic clip that holds them together (don't know why it says 43g on the website, it's nowhere near that) - could also bring just the spoon for 5g
- swap out one of my disposable water bottles (1L, 34 g empty) for my HDPE Nalgene (500mL, 57g empty)
- add a foldable bowl (Fozzils Snapfold Bowlz), 38g on my scale

Total additional weight: 112g

Or maybe:
- keep two disposable water bottles (1L, 34g x 2 = 68 g empty)
- add a microwavable plastic mug (GSI Infinity Backpacker Mug)? for 97g (on my scale)

Total additional weight: 152g

Doesn't seem like that much extra weight put that way, but is it worth carrying?

Accepting serious answers, but also sarcastic, irreverent, and flat-out wrong answers also! (I know in the end it probably won't matter.)

Have fun with this one 😅

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many albergues have all that stuff.

I think a folding knife and large teaspoon would be allow you to prepare and eat a lot of light meals. Obv the knife isn't put in hand luggage. Maybe a small tupperware container too which can be used to store stuff and as a makeshift plate.

2 days ago i stayed in an albergue with no microwavable cups. I used a bowl to heat water and poured it into a glass.

Some people like to attach a cup to their bag to drink from when they pass a fountain. Actually if you had the right sort you could use a small gas burner underneath it to heat water/food in the wilderness. (I wouldn't bother)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A few weeks ago I carried an inexpensive handle-less microwavable cup (from Walmart and on its third camino now) and a spork. I bought a pocket knife when I arrived and in Galicia where there is no cookware, plates, etc. in the lovely Xunta albergue kitchens, I bought a small pan large enough to hardboil eggs. I used everything, every day because nothing was open for coffee/breakfast most winter days. I bought instant cafe con leche packets for my morning coffee and used the pan to heat water and also to boil eggs for breakfast and to stick into our pockets for a later snack. As a group we took turns carrying the lightweight pan (Asian Bazaar purchase) which just hooked to the outside of the pack with a carabiner. Our group of 11 really got the most out of the pot which cost all of 4 euros.

In the places where there was cookware, I used the very sharp pocket knife to cut up vegetables for soups and salads and later a whole chicken to bake for the students at our AirBNB apartment in Madrid. I often use a paper bag as a cutting board if I need one and there is none available on the trail.

I don't have an expensive water bottle and thank goodness I don't because I lost my "free" one (given to me by the airlines on the first day). I just buy a bottle of water and continue to refill it until it begins to leak. I also lost my not so great camp towel this time on the first day (no real loss and it never really dried me that well, but still using it since 2016 for some dumb reason) and had to use the scarf I brought along until I could source a new towel at the Asia Bazaar.

I don't need anything really special, I've found (except maybe an Altus rain poncho, good fitting boots, and a warm sleeping bag) and I can usually source some kind of replacement much cheaper than the high tech stuff I brought from home.

That being said, you do you. Sometimes the shopping and prep is a lot of the fun. I also used to be a gear junkie and had 6 ultralight tents at one point (only ever used once or twice before the next shiney one came along.)

I am a self-admitted gearhead, whose consumerist urge competes against my equally strong gram weenie tendencies. Here lies my confession. I've read some of the old threads on the cutlery/dishes debate and I'm going to set off a new discussion (hopefully anyway)!

As my Camino approaches (Portuguese Coastal + VE + Finisterre/Muxia in summer), I find myself wondering if I ought to bring cutlery, a foldable bowl, and a microwavable cup. You know, for communal meals and hot water for tea when there's no kettle, etc. I have a plastic cutlery set from camping that is a nice handfeel and will get through airport security, and a lightweight 16oz HDPE Nalgene. (Nalgenes are microwave-safe if they were made after 2008, though you will have to be careful with truly boiling water in a HDPE Nalgene, it can soften the bottle. Regular Nalgenes handle boiling water just fine). I also have a foldable bowl from camping, which can double as a bad plate/decent cutting board for sausage and cheese. For picnics and shared meals. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

I could:

- add a Sea to Summit Delta Cutlery Set, 17 g on my scale without the plastic clip that holds them together (don't know why it says 43g on the website, it's nowhere near that) - could also bring just the spoon for 5g
- swap out one of my disposable water bottles (1L, 34 g empty) for my HDPE Nalgene (500mL, 57g empty)

Or maybe:
- add a microwavable plastic mug (GSI Infinity Backpacker Mug)? for 97g (on my scale)

Doesn't seem like that much extra weight put that way, but is it worth carrying?

Accepting serious answers, but also sarcastic, irreverent, and flat-out wrong answers also! (I know in the end it probably won't matter.)

Have fun with this one 😅
This will be my first camino so could be "wrong", but I think take what makes you comfortable. If the weight isn't a deal breaker for you go for it. I plan on taking a small camping cutlery set.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will bring a thermo cup and a plastic box of some kind next time. For instant coffee during early leave in the morning and for some food to bring (I'm a breakfast person, and found no bars/cafees open before 9). Fantastic Spanish cheese, sausages and fruits (never ever again the only wheat stonelike socalled bread).

Last edited:
I have a spork and some sort of tub or box (over the years these have varied in size and shape) that is microwaveable and can be used for leftovers. At the moment I have a screw top plastic jar which can be used as a mug too - tea, coffee even hot chocolate have been drunk out of it. I often try and eat the menu del dia at lunchtime, so evening meal was often soup and yoghurt. I don't plan a more complex meal unless the albergue kitchen is equipped.
Mostly I manage without a sharp knife as it seems a waste travelling with carryon only. And as for a bottle I re-use a 1litre orange juice bottle or 500ml water/fizzy drink bottle, as they are lighter.

But my more recent caminos have not been on well travelled routes like the CF, so having a spoon and container have been more important. On the CF carrying cutlery or containers or mugs is less important unless you have dietary issues or budget concerns or love picnics!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought a really great and very sharp pocket knife at the Asia Bazaar in Sarria a few weeks ago. It was 3 euros. I gifted it to the AirBNB where we stayed in Madrid so I did not have to check a bag to bring it home. In the past, I have purchased more expensive knives (Opinel, Swiss Army), but this one was perfect for a short trip.

I could:

Or maybe:

Have fun with this one 😅
I've walked almost every year since 2006 and have never taken, nor missed, any of that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Instead of a special microwavable cup you could bring an electric heating coil. This gives you hot water even where there isn't a working microwave or even a pot. You can even lend it out where you probably wouldn't do that with your cup.

I've never used one so maybe someone else can discuss this. [Edit: like Theresa who just mentioned this while I was typing.]

Instead of a special microwavable cup you could bring an electric heating coil. This gives you hot water even where there isn't a working microwave or even a pot. You can even lend it out where you probably wouldn't do that with your cup.

I've never used one so maybe someone else can discuss this. [Edit: like Theresa who just mentioned this while I was typing.]
I carefully use the heating coil in my Zojirushi Insulated "Thermos". The 20 ounce is quite slender so I keep a Nite Ize Cinch-a-Lot Stretch Strap-Blue around it, and hook it to a strap for extra security.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've packed a metal spork (serrated prongs on one end, spoon on the other) and it turned out to be handy for yogurt snacks and what have you. My water bottle of choice these days is my collapsible "ba ba", found here on Amazon. Nice, light and squishy. The foldable bowl/cutting board might be handy for a spontaneous picnic with fellow pilgrims. Other than that, resist the urge to "over prepare"...you'll have pretty much what you need at your disposal on the camino.

Last edited:

I could:

Or maybe:

Have fun with this one 😅
We use sporks for store bought lunches. Used them nearly on a daily basis through two Caminos. Three together weigh maybe an ounce.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We use sporks for store bought lunches. Used them nearly on a daily basis through two Caminos. Three together weigh maybe an ounce.
The undernoted human gear cutlery set plus a folding bowl goes with me everywhere when travelling. Locally for a hotel stay or walking out of the country. Knife/spoon/fork set is durable, fairly light and the bowl gives you a bowl/plate/cutting board.

I bought a really great and very sharp pocket knife at the Asia Bazaar in Sarria a few weeks ago. It was 3 euros. I gifted it to the AirBNB where we stayed in Madrid so I did not have to check a bag to bring it home. In the past, I have purchased more expensive knives (Opinel, Swiss Army), but this one was perfect for a short trip.
I left behind my Swiss Army knife when I stopped for a snack and used it to slice some chorizo and cheese. I replaced it with a cheap substitute from a similar shop to the one you used, ata similar price point. Unfortunately, mine was worth about what I paid for it.

@David Tallan, I feel for you! I would absolutely hate to lose my Swiss Army knife, it's been with me for 40 years - backpacking, backwoods hiking, etc. It was hard to leave behind when I went off on Camino but when you're only taking carry on it makes the decision easy.
I'm not a fan of our throwaway culture - in fact that's an understatement - however in this instance I'm happy to buy a supermarket knife and donate it at the end of my camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I could:

Or maybe:

Have fun with this one 😅
I wouldn’t bother with all that. What we have if we want to stop and have our own picnic lunch is a knife/spoon/fork combination. Just buy what we need that morning and carry until time to eat. Cheese, bread, tomato, tin tuna or sardines ring pull. Very easy, inexpensive and healthy.
😋

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Depends which Camino you are walking.
Emirates airlines give you very durable plastic cutlery set which is very useful.
I have a stainless steel keep cup which was incredibly useful on the Via last time. Mostly you could get a coffee and breakfast at 7.00 am but on days when everything was closed I would get a takeout coffee the night before and warm it up in the morning in the albergue kitchen. Still very good.
Municipal albergues in Galicia are a problem with not one utensil or dish so I ended up buying a microwaveable light jug.
I usually take my well traveled pocket knife but now would probably just use one of those small European fold up knives you can get for €5 - not a problem if I lose it.

Can’t believe no-one seems to have mentioned a corkscrew!!
I took camping cutlery, bowl and cup on my first Camino but not since as didn’t use them. The corkscrew was the one thing I missed and have carried on each subsequent trip! Those with multitools probably had one included?
Makes me more popular in Albergues 😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I left behind my Swiss Army knife when I stopped for a snack and used it to slice some chorizo and cheese. I replaced it with a cheap substitute from a similar shop to the one you used, ata similar price point. Unfortunately, mine was worth about what I paid for it.
On two different Caminos I've found almost new SAKs stabbed into fallen logs that have obviously been used as a seat for a picnic and left behind when the first owner moved on.
Both were collected and later gifted to other pilgrims further along the way.
Let's hope your own SAK was re-homed in a similar way.

With the years, we have started carrying more and more kitchen stuff and food - probably because we're walking less popular caminos. The last time (Camino de Levante) the two of us carried:

1 microwaveable plastic bowl with a good lid (=cutting board and plate) - 1 litre
2 foldable plastic cups
2 sporks
1 electric heating coil
3 clean bread bags (mostly used as plates, but also for storing food)
a few tea bags, 6 soup mix satchets, salt and pepper (tiny paper satchets), 100 g artificial sugar (husband diabetic), 1 small sliced loaf of dense German rye bread (ditto), 7 sugar-free protein bars (ditto)

All the food was consumed before we went home, along with whatever we could find in local shops, when they happened to be open. We've had too many occurrences of tiny villages with albergue, but no shop/shop only open yesterday/tomorrow.

I took a billy hiking gas cooker two silicone folding mugs a tiny pocket knife a a spork, on my first camino and so please I had them and used them almost every morning for a coffee and kates for fist breakfast as many of the albergue lock their kitchen at night. Also great to have a cooker in a busy kitchen. I will be back in Spain this year and my billy and gas cooker will be the first things on my packing list.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just ordered Fozzils Snapfold Bowlz and might take one on the Camino del Norte this season. For my first two caminos (Portuguese & Frances), I didn't bring anything for food as it was so easy to get food on the road. For the Chemin (Le Puy to SJPP) last season, I brought a small 16-oz round ziplock container with a screw-top lid because I'd have to carry food with me. I didn't use it a lot, but I was glad to have it. It worked well except that it was bulky in my pack and something of a nuisance. I used it mainly for berries or grapes. If it didn't have food in it, I'd put in socks or whatever. I'm hoping to use a folding bowl this time, even though it doesn't have a lid. I use a zippered food bag (Packback Designs DCF size medium) and bee wraps for all my food. I will test the folding bowl on some berries, wrapping with a bee wrap, and placing it inside my food bag and see how it all holds up. I like the idea of the bowl being flat and thus easy to retrieve from my pack. I can certainly see the use of the folding bowls for backpacking, so it won't be money wasted if they don't make the camino cut. (My pack weight, without food/water, on the Chemin was less than 3 kg.)

In the next installment of my overplanning, I have now decided not to bring the mug with the lid, but I'll bring the spoon. I am sure I will go back and forth on this several more times before departure. 😆

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back