• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

last minute dot com

blind fool

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2019
Hi,
I'm sure this is a fantastic forum (hence I've registered) 😁.
I plan to start searching through for tips and advice but I thought I'd start with a quick introduction both our planned pilgrimage / challenge. Good friend of mine and myself are planning to cover the French route starting the afternoon of 2nd October '19 - our first night accommodation plus evening meal and breakfast are booked at Roncesvalles, after that we're flying by the seat of our pants. I'm sure many of you will 'dis-approve' of our approach but needs must and neither of us is one for doing things by half so rather than break the route up into sections we're looking to cover the full route from SJPP to Santiago in the limited time we have (sub 7 days). You'll have guessed by now we're not looking to walk but rather ride on mountain bikes. We plan to travel extremely lightly but clearly in October and especially over the Pyrenees we need to be prepared for different weather etc. Below are just a few questions we're currently looking for answers to and any assistance would be very welcome.
- recommendations for one way car hire Santiago back to SJPP,
- albergues - do we need to take sleeping bags or can we hire / use blankets ie just take a sleeping bag liner,
- do we need to take cash or will we find pretty everywhere takes VISA,
- is it possible to recharge phones, cameras, etc at most albergues,
- using google street view I think we've found somewhere to leave the car for the week but can anyone recommend a car park or is good street parking possible for free,
- what is the typical cost for accommodation,

please wish us luck as not only do we want to complete the journey but we're looking to raise money for a local charity in the process.

Best wishes to and especially those currently out there.

Really looking forward to this. 👍

Wayne and Kev (the blind leading the blind)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Your approach is far from unconventional - apart from the need to return to St Jean. If it’s to pick up ‘stuff’ why not ship the stuff to Santiago and travel onward from there.? Otherwise I can’t help you with car hire, but there will be someone along shortly.

Take a liner . Be prepared to wear clothes as well if necessary. Most places will have blankets.

Take cash or use ATMs. Credit cards not widely used at pilgrim-budget facilities.

Yes you can charge, but take a long charger cable, power pack or two-way adapter if you can.

Now I understand. You need to get back to a car. Ignore my first point.

Budget? Where do you want to stay and what are you planning on eating and drinking? You could do it for 30 euros per day, or easily spend 200.

I’m tempted to comment on the ‘doing it for charity’ motivation. I live close to the area blighted by the UK three peaks charity events, which seem to have a similar amount of planning and preparation.

I wish you well.

- albergues - do we need to take sleeping bags or can we hire / use blankets ie just take a sleeping bag liner,
- using google street view I think we've found somewhere to leave the car for the week but can anyone recommend a car park or is good street parking possible for free,

-- I use Sixt as a car rental agency. I doubt that you can do a one way to St Jean Pied de Port, though. You might have to do the 'one-way' to Biarritz or Bayonne as the closest drop of points.
-- A sleeping bag or quilt would be a good option to bring
-- Cash. While a debit/credit card is workable for some purchases, cash is the primary transaction method, especially for alburgues.
-- Yes, you can re-charge the chargables.
-- No help here. But try googling for public car parking in St Jean Pied de Port.
-- For dorm style bunk beds, 10 to 20 Euros per person. More for private rooms in alburgues which have them.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
please wish us luck as not only do we want to complete the journey but we're looking to raise money for a local charity in the process.
So is it a partially sighted bike tour, covering 800 kms in 7 days. A wee bit of a challenge which I wish you luck with but then I prefer to think that preparation meeting opportunities equals luck and based on your questions I would have to say you don't come across as having done your due diligence and therefore I'm not convinced your going to make it 7 days but look forward to hearing otherwise unless it's an electric mountain bike? 🤠

This is indeed fantastic forum and with some browsing through it you'll find all the answers to your questions.

Buen Camino!

many thanks for the useful comments. reference our due diligence you're absolutely right I'm sorry to say and hence the comments of the blind leading the blind and last minute dot come. It's not a partially sighted cycle ride nor do we have elec bikes. Ideally I'd have liked to have been starting the ride a month or so back with at least a few more days available to complete this amazing journey but alas I need to fit it into family and work life.

regards the charity this was not the initial motivation but rather it became an opportunity to try and do some good for others while undertaking a spectacular ride.

I'll have a look at the Sixt website and see if there's a one way car hire option - I'm sure a month or so back it looked like an option but plans were a little thin on the ground back then and hence I didn't book it as ferries weren't even confirmed back then.

For any that might be reading this and plan to be on the Way to St James forgive me now if we pass with little more than a Buen Camino - hopefully we'll get to have a chat in the evening over a glass of wine (or in our case some disgusting recovery concoction).

Is anyone aware of any off road cyclists having completed the 500 miles in 6.5 days previously?

Buen Camino. 👍

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome @blind fool

Even by bike that's a hell of a schedule you've set yourselves, best of luck.

Just a quick word on the car hire. Even within the same company dropping a car off in a different country tends to cost a fortune (a couple of years ago the best quote I could find for one day hire from Santiago to Porto was 400 Euro!!) so I'd suggest hiring to Pamplona and then going the rest of the way by public transport.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

thank you Rob,

yes one hell of schedule - current training regime is reasonably positive however so I really do hope we achieve our goal. Although I appreciate we're likely to miss out on a lot with it getting dark early we will hopefully have relaxing evening mixing with other pilgrams and a lot of eating ready for the next day.

400 Euro's is definitely not on the agenda and I sincerely hope I can find something cheaper as time doesn't really allow us to be going via Pamplona on the return leg ! 😲

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Quite the challenge.

At the speeds you are planning, please use the cycle routes and not the pedestrian routes. Walkers won't heard you coming.

If you are taking the ferry, why not leave the car at home? You could take the train and or cycle from the ferry and then not need to return to SJPdP.

One thought on the car rental. Instead of trying to drop it off in SJPP (or anywhere else on France) check into dropping it somewhere in Spain, maybe Pamplona. I think a one-way drop charge in-country would be much less expensive than one to another country. Since there are two of you, one of you could take the other SJPP and then both head to the car rental drop. Assuming you both drive. 😉 Good luck.

/\ thank you for the ideas on the rental.
public transport is unfortunately pretty much of the question. we're going to be struggling for time anyway.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
I'm sure this is a fantastic forum (hence I've registered) 😁.
I plan to start searching through for tips and advice but I thought I'd start with a quick introduction both our planned pilgrimage / challenge. Good friend of mine and myself are planning to cover the French route starting the afternoon of 2nd October '19 - our first night accommodation plus evening meal and breakfast are booked at Roncesvalles, after that we're flying by the seat of our pants. I'm sure many of you will 'dis-approve' of our approach but needs must and neither of us is one for doing things by half so rather than break the route up into sections we're looking to cover the full route from SJPP to Santiago in the limited time we have (sub 7 days). You'll have guessed by now we're not looking to walk but rather ride on mountain bikes. We plan to travel extremely lightly but clearly in October and especially over the Pyrenees we need to be prepared for different weather etc. Below are just a few questions we're currently looking for answers to and any assistance would be very welcome.

Best wishes to and especially those currently out there.

Really looking forward to this. 👍

I am breathless, trying to keep up with your plan, just on the screen, never mind when you will be zooming along on your bikes. It is almost 800 km from Roncesvalles . So more than 100km per day. Are you sure you want to do this to yourselves? No room for error. I hesitate to offer ideas, as you seem to be quite sure about the plan, so I just wish you both a safe journey and look forward to news of your successful trip.🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️

the full route from SJPP to Santiago

I know you probably know this, @blind fool (there's another forum thread on the subject running right now!), but there is really no need to start from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port in order to do a "full" Camino. If you were to start just a little nearer Santiago (say Pamplona or even Logrono) your Camino would be just as legitimate, and full, and you would not be putting quite so much pressure on yourselves to cycle over 100k each day with no breaks.

Wherever you start though, please heed the request made above and ride on the roads and not the walking trails. I assume from your plans that you are experienced mountain bikers, but at the speeds you will need to travel the narrow paths designed for walkers could be hazardous to you (many are strewn with small rocks) and you would certainly be a hazard to walkers. And in case you do find yourselves sharing a path with walkers along the way, please please please make sure your bikes have bells, and use them!

But whatever you decide I wish you well with your challenge and your fund-raising efforts, and a Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And in case you do find yourselves sharing a path with walkers along the way, please please please make sure your bikes have bells, and use them!
And remember this path has many nationalities on it. Some will instinctively move to the right, others to the left and some may just freeze to let you pick the side (and then at the last second decide to move to the left or right).

/\ thank you for the ideas on the rental.
public transport is unfortunately pretty much of the question. we're going to be struggling for time anyway.

I just confirmed through 4 different sites that there is no rental car return directly to St Jean Pied de Port. The closest return point would be Biarritz airport. So whether Pamplona or Biarritz, it will require some public transport via bus, taxi, or train to get back to St jean Pied de Port after returning a rental car.

Edit: Perhaps an Uber-type service could be engaged to get back to SJPdP as well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is anyone aware of any off road cyclists having completed the 500 miles in 6.5 days previously
No but this article might be of interest, what happens if you don't make it to Santiago in alotted timeframe, Public transport? How does that impact on fundraising activity? Im aware of a cyclist who completed the entire journey within 24 hours but he was a pro racer. You guys must be quite good to have set the goal of 1 week, I'd expect it too be closer to 10 days at least. I wish you luck and Ultreia 🤠

reference our due diligence you're absolutely right I'm sorry to say and hence the comments of the blind leading the blind and last minute dot com
I admire your spontaneity and this forum thread might be of interest and you could contact author and ask about chances of achieving goal 🤠

I just confirmed through 4 different sites that there is no rental car return directly to St Jean Pied de Port. The closest return point would be Biarritz airport. So whether Pamplona or Biarritz, it will require some public transport via bus, taxi, or train to get back to St jean Pied de Port after returning a rental car.

ah :confused:. many thanks for looking although not the news I was hoping for.

we're far from being pro cyclists but having competed against expro's I seem to recall they were 50-100% quicker so may be it's still possible. After all I'm sure they'd have had to stop at some point(s) and when you're stationary you're station - pro or otherwise (I think / hope).

once again many thanks for the helpful replies. reference fund raising and not making it - I'm not going there 🤔

I believe 7 days is possible if you cycle on roads but if your planning to cycle trails by mountain bike in 6.5 days I'd suggest that although you guys might be able to do the impossible, its more challenging to do miracles. The additional pressure of completing due to charitable involvement although commendable is further expectation that is bound to be a factor. Here's another link of a guy who attempted similar challenge that im sure you've already researched, interesting to note he asked the question and did not return to update. Wonder if he made it! 🤠

Last edited:
damn ! found car hire as I did before for well under £200 - but what I hadn't realised is that I'd been sucked in. there's an additional fee for 1 way hire in the region of £500+
oh.☹

I don't think either of us would be comfortable in raising cash so as to be able to complete the journey. any money raised would be for the charity.
and I don't think either of us want to shell out that sort of money .....
back to the drawing board (or public transport).

As eluded to sounds like there hasn't been alot of that and when representing a charity and the intentions around it would it not be better to put a degree of preparation and planning that does the charity justice rather than last minute. I am a cyclist and own a bike busines and my assessment is that if you plan to stay mostly on mountain bike trails you have no chance of making it from St.Jean to Santiago in one week. If you attempt to do so I believe that you will be causing a clear and present danger to yourself and others including myself walking at the same time so would suggest that you double your timeframe and leave behind your expectations. Its not a race, I look forward to meeting you both and wish you a Buen Camino 🤠

Buen Camin to you too.
we'll certainly look out for you. where do you expect to be 3rd or 4th Oct? and any we should look out for to identify you?

as mentioned the fund raising was a second thought so even if we don't go down the fund raising route we still plan to do the ride / camino - just not sure how at the moment?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'll be the one speaking softly, carrying a big stick, wearing an Ireland top and Tilley hat as per profile pic. I'm expecting to walking out of SJPdeP on 29th towards Meseta. I've no idea where I'll be as in it for the journey not destination. I expect ill hear of you guys whizzing past and ill shout out 'last minute dot com' and I'll probably hear the brummie accent. 🤠

Buen Camin to you too.
we'll certainly look out for you. where do you expect to be 3rd or 4th Oct? and any we should look out for to identify you?

as mentioned the fund raising was a second thought so even if we don't go down the fund raising route we still plan to do the ride / camino - just not sure how at the moment?

Get a Forum Member Badge from Ivar's store, and attach it to the back of your backpack or to your hat :)

1568657919855.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
more problems and then a break through which some might find helpful.
after finding out on here and other places it's not going to be practical / possible to get our bikes onto the fast train back to Pamplona as pack size / box must not exceed 1.2mtrs.
this lead to another search for one way car hire which was looking like £600-700. we've found a VW caddy / small people carrier for £138 plus 25E for the 1 way excess charge !! absolute break through. try rentalcar.com 👍

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why don’t you start either from Roncesvalles or even better,Pamplona.?

how strange I thought I'd replied to this already?

I can't recall exactly what I said but I think it went something like this....
for me it wouldn't be the real deal. it would perhaps make a whole lot more sense but then removing sugar and the gas from coka cola would probably make good sense but it just wouldn't be the real thing 😁

.....and besides we're all booked up now.

can anyone advise if there's a need for a mug, fork, knife and spoon.
I presume these are always available at meals?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
for me it wouldn't be the real deal.
Well, there is no end to the possible arguments about what is the real deal, mainly by people who have not walked such paths extensively. However, if YOU want to start in a particular spot, and can do so, that becomes your real deal. Just keep an open mind to the arbitrariness of it.
can anyone advise if there's a need for a mug, fork, knife and spoon.
Those will be provided wherever you purchase meals. They will be in most (but not all) albergues. I carry a spork and a knife for my own convenience. I took a mug twice and abandoned it both times.

exactly.
I'll not bother with a mug then.

many thanks for the response.

only a few days to go. ferry docs 2nd Oct. start the camino pm of the 2nd 😲

So heading to sjpp. Should be there by 14:00.
Looking for a quick turn around and on our way to roncesvalles for supper.
Anyway out there in the rain now? Any chance of it brightening up this evening?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Guys / gals. What a day. We're in Leon and desparate for some help. We're exhausted just getting some food and need advice on where the next couple of albergues are out of the city. Hopefully some where quiet and safe for the bikes. Sorry can hadly read what i'm writhing as don't have glasses with me. Many thanks.

I do not know if this is any use. It is what Gronze says. Hope you get something. Please be careful.D71E5E27-1011-42B9-BAC2-5CE2EEB8106E.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for your help. We headed out of Leon. First hostal was full so we kept going into the night with lights and found somewhere a little further on...can't reall the location but upon my return will endeavour to give a littttle write up. All finished now. Stuck to footpaths even where they run along the road with very little exception. Took us 6.75 days so pretty much exactly to plan. What a fantastic experience. All the very best to those en-route.

Thanks for your help. We headed out of Leon. First hostal was full so we kept going into the night with lights and found somewhere a little further on...can't reall the location but upon my return will endeavour to give a littttle write up. All finished now. Stuck to footpaths even where they run along the road with very little exception. Took us 6.75 days so pretty much exactly to plan. What a fantastic experience. All the very best to those en-route.
Congrats. I hope someday you have the chance to just dawdle along. Seriously. I know this trip had its limitations for you, and serious congrats to you and your companion, as you have done this for others. Safe journey back to wherever you need to go now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you. And yes already thinking about a return based on a slower pace. The evening catch up with other pilgrims has been great even if the days have been a little frantic. Several hundreds of miles to cover now in a hire car.

so a very brief over view of our 'pilgrimage' to Santiago.
upon arrival at Bilbao we headed straight for SJJP and the Pilgrims office. We found it, got our passports stamped and by the time we'd got the bikes ready, car parked up etc it was circa 6pm. with a little too much optimism we headed for Roncesvalles - with night fall etc we arrived at Orrison after getting lost trying to found our way out of SJPP. remarkably they had just two beds left so we took them - although we'd missed dinner they did knock up a couple of baguettes for us which were most welcome. The next morning we were greeted to perhaps the best sunrise I've ever witnessed.
from there we cracked on, up and over down to Roncesvalles and finally to Obanos - little albergue called Usda adjacent to the church / central square (very nice building and hepful owner).
By the end of the 4th Oct we'd made it to Azofra, we covered a little more ground that day (110kM) but we were still behind schedule (not that we really had a schedule but our average mileage was down from where it needed to be) and there was concern over whether or not we'd make it.
End of 5th Oct we'd covered a little more ground again than the day before at 120kM which landed us at the great Albergue at Hontanas. We arrived at almost last light and what a blessing, once again beds were available. A beer and some food and a chat with one or two of the Pilgrims (John from Oz kindly let us have a look through his guide book - I sincerely hope he got it back the following morning?). It was also pointed out that the next day or so we'd really cover some ground and we did. After my partner ditched his rucksack and any other excess weight we headed out on a mission. It seemed like the wind was behind us and by the end of the day we'd covered some 170kM (and don't forget this is sticking to the walking route not roads). As noted above we hit Leon towards the end of day light hours but I wanted to push on beyond the big city. The first albergue we found was full but they pointed out that there was another a further 10kM on, by now it was dark so using our lights we headed off into the night and soon found riding in the dark wasn't a problem - it was in fact a pleasant change with it being a little cooler. We soon arrived at Villar de Mazarife.
A fantastic days riding hitting the single track trails leading down past Acebo and eventually on towards Ponferrada. For those that have done these tracks and enjoy mountain biking you'll know what I mean. 100kM after starting and we find ourselves in Villafranca. What an amazing place, it seemed liked a deserted little village until you walk round a corner and then before you there's a bustling little high street - banks, bike shop etc - it's all there!
Our penultimate day took us 135kM to Boente and a really nice / well kept German hostel / albergue. Again we arrived just before last light / before the kitchen shut but what great hospitality once again. Quick shower / change and we're sat chatting to this nice guy from Italy over dinner / wine. The following morning we were taking it a little easier as we were confident in being able to achieve our goal - I think we were the last to live and we easily made our way to Santiago for lunch time / 12ish. I say easy except for the 'herds' of pilgrims / walkers and except for navigating the busy streets of Santiago itself. All very brief but we achieved our goal and for me at least this is just the first chapter and certainly not the end of the story.

I hope that perhaps there's some thing in the brief notes above that might be of some help to someone but most importantly I hope all of you out there or planning to journey the Camino have a wonderful and safe time.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Almost forgot to add a mention of the diffiult bit....
The hire car place was closed 1pm till 4:30pm. After a coffee, getting our passport stamped at the cathedral and finding our way to the hire centre we arrived at 1:05pm so had to hang around till the opened. Took about a further 45 mins to actually get the car. Then virtually 10hrs non stop to sjpp to pick up my mates car. Back to pamplona to drop off hire car then to bilbao for the ferry. Phew!

Almost forgot to add a mention of the diffiult bit....
The hire car place was closed 1pm till 4:30pm. After a coffee, getting our passport stamped at the cathedral and finding our way to the hire centre we arrived at 1:05pm so had to hang around till the opened. Took about a further 45 mins to actually get the car. Then virtually 10hrs non stop to sjpp to pick up my mates car. Back to pamplona to drop off hire car then to bilbao for the ferry. Phew!
Main thing is, you are home safe and sound, and you achieved your goal. You and your friend must be delighted. It will be great to hear when the slow version is about to take place.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kirkie,
sorry for such a slow response. yes back safe and well.
the slower version is on ice for now as you can imagine. life in generally seems to be slowing down and not just because of covid-19. a return is very much on the cards but not sure when that will be. I'll try and up load some photos soon. It's taken a long time for me to get them off my mate.
the journey will always have a special place in my heart. best wishes to you all.

How often did you have to ring your bell? I have this vision of you flying down the path and walking pilgrims leaping out of your way.

Glad you had a safe trip.

🤔 not sure I can count that high. lets just say it was quite a lot.
obviously sometimes / areas more than others, especially in the later stages.
here is in my opinion an example of how blessed we were (see photo). being in mind it was early October this is what we were greeted with on the first morning at Orrison;

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 17

€60,-
Kirkie,
sorry for such a slow response. yes back safe and well.
the slower version is on ice for now as you can imagine. life in generally seems to be slowing down and not just because of covid-19. a return is very much on the cards but not sure when that will be. I'll try and up load some photos soon. It's taken a long time for me to get them off my mate.
the journey will always have a special place in my heart. best wishes to you all.
I just came across this now. Thanks for taking time to reply. Some time, whenever, the slow version will happen. Take care.

many thanks... and a couple more snaps

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
well I'm looking to do the Camino once again ..... and yes its last minute again.
nothing booked - be that ferries, accommodation etc. which leads me to my quesetion;
can we generally books beds at all Albergues - or is it first come first serve basis?
We didn't book last time and everything was just fine, only this time its going to be mid July ??
Happy Camino to all who are on the path.

correct. although it was October last time and reasonably quiet.
my concerns this time is we'll be the other end of the spectrum - add to that, I understand cyclists are generally not given first dibs.
and another photo for those that like the photos :)

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I understand cyclists are generally not given first dibs.
That's so. Nor second or third:) I recently saw the priority list for Xunta albergues. The only group with a lower priority than cyclists were pilgrims starting their camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
looks like we'll be taking a tent then.....
a serious note however - does anyone know if many (or any) of the Albergues allow for small tents?
while I don't recall seeing any I seem to think this is an option at a large percentage of them?

Mid-July will be relatively quiet compared to May or September. Though at that time of year the Spanish turn out in their groups to walk the Camino most do it from Sarria.

Some, but very few, Albergues permit camping. Most are restricted by their licence to a maximum number of occupants. Unless you are prepared to wild camp, which is often un-lawful and always a challenge when every sheltered spot just off the camino has already been used as a lavatory, ditch the weight of the tent and spend the effort on planning. https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances is your friend.

That said, if you haven't already booked a ferry and are intending to travel in school-holiday time: good luck...

in case you hadn't guessed already we're very much in the planning stages.
however 15th July start is 'set'.
plan is to drive via dover / calais which I'm sure will always have some capacity especially during the night (always used to be that way at least?).
Assuming the schools break up end of July we'll be back home before then (all being well) 👍

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back