• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Layers in June/July?

Rebecky

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2023
Hello, friends I have yet to meet... I have seen a lot of discussion about layering and keeping warm; I appreciate all the input. But it seems to me like you all are talking about now (April) or Sept/Oct). As someone who will be walking June 11-July 12, I can't wrap my head around the idea that I would need long-sleeves and pants. Can any of you help me out here? Do you really think there is a possibility that I would need long sleeves/pants due to coolness?
There is also the question about wearing long-sleeves to cover up due to the sun. I am fairly dark-complected and have never worn long sleeves in the sun; just plenty of sunscreen. Again, I just don't see it happening, unless you all convince me other wise - I'm open!
I also don't think I mind my legs getting wet. I'm a cyclist and have gotten caught in a good rainstrorm or two and really love it. I am planning to bring a rain jacket and I have a rain cover for my pack, definitely. But I don't see putting on rain pants in July. I am a bit worried about my shoes getting soaked, due to the uncomfortableness of walking in them wet. I was wishing there were some sort of spats I could snap on just over the tops of my shoes. Hmmm....

Anyway, I would really appreciate some perspective on needing layers or long sleeves/leggings in June/July. Thanks so much!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't wrap my head around the idea that I would need long-sleeves and pants.
Personally, I would not travel anywhere in the world, in any month, without a long sleeved shirt for warmth if needed - Toronto, Spain, Sahara. Burgos, for example, has an average high of 23°C in June and an average low of 9°. I prefer long sleeves for anything under about 20, and certainly at 9.

For sun protection, I suggest you should do whatever you usually do when you are spending the day in the sun.
unless you all convince me other wise - I'm open!
It is up to you. You are the person who will feel it. :p
But I don't see putting on rain pants in July.
Yes, I would consider leaving rain pants home in July.

Shorts should be fine for most days in June and July, but there are a some places where it can be cold - I remember a very cold evening and morning in O Cebreiro in August! While the sun was out it was comfortable, but as soon as it got dark it was cold. I hadn't brought gloves, so as I started in the morning I wore a pair of socks on my hands.

I have tried many long sleeve "sun shirts" that promised to keep me cool, but I prefer bare arms with lots of sunscreen on hot days. I also use a handsfree umbrella to provide myself shade.

My pilgrim outfit is a bit different than most - I wear a sleeveless lightweight merino wool knee length dress. When it's cold I wear leggings underneath and a light fleece or similar on top.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have now walked in June, July, August & September. Although I brought long pants, I didn't need them. A few chilly mornings but once you get moving the chill dissipates. The real question is: Is it worth bringing another pound or two of "warm" clothes for the summer months that might have a couple cool mornings?

Anyway, I would really appreciate some perspective on needing layers or long sleeves/leggings in June/July.
As it gets warmer, I will walk with a short sleeved base layer and a long sleeved mid layer, sometimes with the sleeves rolled up. I wear long trousers when walking, and sometimes shorts in the evening. I will have both a warm and water/wind proof layer, but by early Jun the warm layer isn't quite as likely to get worn as the rain jacket/trousers. I wear a medium brimmed hat, and I apply sunscreen to my face, neck and hands.

If you are prepared to take a little more risk, you might decide to leave one of the layers at home, and rely on sunscreen instead of taking a long sleeved layer. Having walked the CP last year, I will be planning on taking a hands-free umbrella if I walk again in May/Jun.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I tend to pack on the light side of things, but i like having a certain range where I'm comfortable. If you have a high(ish) tolerance for cold, it might be OK to only take some shorts. People have done it and it worked, for me the little difference in weight of taking a zip-off as my second pair is worth it.
Same with the long sleeved items. I burn fast and would be lost without something long on hot days as well as without my hat. If thats of little issue to you, again, people have walked in t-shirts and it worked.
There is also no harm in checking the forcast before leaving. If it's a heat wave, pack less, if it's a cold wave, pack more. If general weather changes once you're on the camino, there are shops.
Personally, i like having some amount of trusted gear that covers a certain variety of scenarios but on the other hand i also rather NOT pack a specific item than carry it just in case something unlikely happens.

I always wear a white loose long sleeved PFG fishing shirt as a sun shirt in the summer and it can double as a jacket if needed in the evening. Can't stand the feel of sun screen on me. I would rather wear a hat and cover up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Heading out in June I would skip rain trousers. Normally I'd stick to shorts but I often take a pair of old tights with foot cut off in case of cold weather (cheap, light and i am happy to throw them out).
I tend to carry a long sleeve top as it can be cool at night, or even in the mountains it can be needed. By summer I generally walk in short sleeves, but I use an UV umbrella to provide extra shade.
But having layers is key!

Thank you all - such great feedback. I really appreciate this community - I've learned so much!

Buen camino wherever you are walking today...!

Shorts should be fine for most days in June and July, but there are a some places where it can be cold - I remember a very cold evening and morning in O Cebreiro in August! While the sun was out it was comfortable, but as soon as it got dark it was cold. I hadn't brought gloves, so as I started in the morning I wore a pair of socks on my hands.

I have tried many long sleeve "sun shirts" that promised to keep me cool, but I prefer bare arms with lots of sunscreen on hot days. I also use a handsfree umbrella to provide myself shade.

My pilgrim outfit is a bit different than most - I wear a sleeveless lightweight merino wool knee length dress. When it's cold I wear leggings underneath and a light fleece or similar on top.
I love that you wear a dress!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have now walked in June, July, August & September. Although I brought long pants, I didn't need them. A few chilly mornings but once you get moving the chill dissipates. The real question is: Is it worth bringing another pound or two of "warm" clothes for the summer months that might have a couple cool mornings?
I am considering that I can buy there if I need to...👍

The real question is: Is it worth bringing another pound or two of "warm" clothes for the summer months that might have a couple cool mornings?
No, the real question is whether it is worth bringing a 100-200g long sleeved shirt for those cool mornings, evenings, and even nights or afternoons.
I am considering that I can buy there if I need to.
That is fine is you prefer to take that approach, but be aware that there are no clothing stores at the top of the Napoleon pass, or in O Cebreiro, or many other villages where the weather might suddenly turn cool. The Camino is well provided with equipment stores, but not every couple of km!

Always check the "give away" box a the albergue if you need something extra. There is usually an extra shirt, pants, jacket, random items (camp stoves, tents, boyscout mess kits, etc.) that people have discarded because they did not want to carry it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That reminds me that if you are stuck without adequate clothing, you could probably borrow something from another pilgrim. Most of us would help a fellow pilgrim in that situation, even if it meant not having that shirt clean for its intended use in the evening. Then you wouldn't need to carry the "excess" equipment when you don't need it 😵‍💫.

I love that you wear a dress!
I decided on dresses as a weight saving measure, plus they are really comfortable. So far in 6 Caminos between May - September it's worked well for me.
I would choose something different for colder seasons.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.