• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for books with sites to see Freemasonry, Masonic, Templar sites

JNast

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned August 21-Oct 10 (2017)
I'm looking for any reliable source / content on the connection to Freemasonry, Masonic Symbols and Templar Sites along "The Way". I know there was a Templar Built Sanctuary for the pilgrims which still stands, but does anyone have any reference material I can use to help spot symbols, connections to Free Masons and the Knight Templar? I am a 32 degree Master Mason and this intrigues me.

Knights_Templar_Logo_(Freemasonry).gif
I didn't follow the path of the Knights Templar via the York Rite, but pursued the passion and knowledge in the Scottish Rite instead.

With my Journey beginning Aug-Oct I have lots of time to wonder and visit history along The Way. The connection is strong with Free Masonry I'm told but haven't found any books on the subject... such as where to look, what to see, guide books etc. Any information you have would be gratefully appreciated.

I have read the post on the All Seeing Eye and its references to Masonry... but I'm looking for more specific Masonry Symbols and Architecture along "The Way"

Thank you in advance for your assistance and information.

Jason - Pilgrim Aug 2017
Knights_Templar_Logo_(Freemasonry).gif

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Education... I recommend you look into a local lodge and get to know them and ask lots of questions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One of my best friends is a Free Mason. I would love to know of any history as well. If I can take pictures to bring back for him, it would give him happiness.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
One of my best friends is a Free Mason. I would love to know of any history as well. If I can take pictures to bring back for him, it would give him happiness.
Exactly. Hoping this turns into a great thread of information

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
:). I guess it shows that I'm a bit obsessive about some areas of history but my knowledge is sadly quite limited and does not include traces of Free Masons along the Camino; also very little about the Knights Templar. I originally thought that this thread was promoting a book about these subjects. Perhaps it would help to adapt the title and even move the thread to the Miscellaneous section? Best of luck for further research to @JNast!
Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you are interested in a popular novel based on Freemasonry themes as found in Washington, D.C. check out Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol.

The Prophet of Compostela: A Novel of Apprenticeship and Initiation
by Henri Vincenot

Amazon Review:
A beautiful and savvy story of the synthesis of ideas which produced the Cathedrals of Europe. Although written as a novel - and a darned good one -51XvPtfG47L._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg Vincenot has succeeded in being true to the facts of history and following up with his near clairvoyant intuition on historic detail. Vincenot, an award winning writer in France- has yet to be discovered here in the U.S. Here through the eyes of a carpenters' apprentice, he shows how the Druids, the Carpenters, Stone Masons and Knights Templars worked together under the authority of Bernard of Clairveaux, to create the network of great Cathedrals which were the architectural embodiments of all known sciences of the time. This book needs to be read before any travelling in Europe and provides wonderful clues to the aspects of Paganism secreted into Christianity. Recommended to those in the Templar-Holy Grail vinyard and those who just enjoy good "historic fiction".

by Henri Vincenot

Amazon Review:
A beautiful and savvy story of the synthesis of ideas which produced the Cathedrals of Europe. Although written as a novel - and a darned good one -View attachment 34515 Vincenot has succeeded in being true to the facts of history and following up with his near clairvoyant intuition on historic detail. Vincenot, an award winning writer in France- has yet to be discovered here in the U.S. Here through the eyes of a carpenters' apprentice, he shows how the Druids, the Carpenters, Stone Masons and Knights Templars worked together under the authority of Bernard of Clairveaux, to create the network of great Cathedrals which were the architectural embodiments of all known sciences of the time. This book needs to be read before any travelling in Europe and provides wonderful clues to the aspects of Paganism secreted into Christianity. Recommended to those in the Templar-Holy Grail vinyard and those who just enjoy good "historic fiction".

As Sil notes this novel by the prolific Henri Vincenot provides a fine accounting of medieval ways and techniques both philosophical and mechanical. Originally published 1982 in French as Les Etoiles de Compostelle the French version is also available from Amazon.

The major character in Vincenot's novel, Jehan le Tonnerre, becomes a skilled journeyman or compagnon. Still today in France such highly specialized craftsmen are known as Les Compagnons de Devoir. Read here in French more about their long history, tradition and contemporary training which includes a Tour de France.

For a good English account of the Compagnons see this Wiki article.

For an earlier forum thread re the Compagnons see https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-different-sort-of-pilgrimage.40029/

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
by Henri Vincenot

Amazon Review:
A beautiful and savvy story of the synthesis of ideas which produced the Cathedrals of Europe. Although written as a novel - and a darned good one -View attachment 34515 Vincenot has succeeded in being true to the facts of history and following up with his near clairvoyant intuition on historic detail. Vincenot, an award winning writer in France- has yet to be discovered here in the U.S. Here through the eyes of a carpenters' apprentice, he shows how the Druids, the Carpenters, Stone Masons and Knights Templars worked together under the authority of Bernard of Clairveaux, to create the network of great Cathedrals which were the architectural embodiments of all known sciences of the time. This book needs to be read before any travelling in Europe and provides wonderful clues to the aspects of Paganism secreted into Christianity. Recommended to those in the Templar-Holy Grail vinyard and those who just enjoy good "historic fiction".
Thank you. I'll check this out

I'm looking for any reliable source / content on the connection to Freemasonry, Masonic Symbols and Templar Sites along "The Way". I know there was a Templar Built Sanctuary for the pilgrims which still stands, but does anyone have any reference material I can use to help spot symbols, connections to Free Masons and the Knight Templar? I am a 32 degree Master Mason and this intrigues me.

View attachment 34439
I didn't follow the path of the Knights Templar via the York Rite, but pursued the passion and knowledge in the Scottish Rite instead.

With my Journey beginning Aug-Oct I have lots of time to wonder and visit history along The Way. The connection is strong with Free Masonry I'm told but haven't found any books on the subject... such as where to look, what to see, guide books etc. Any information you have would be gratefully appreciated.

I have read the post on the All Seeing Eye and its references to Masonry... but I'm looking for more specific Masonry Symbols and Architecture along "The Way"

Thank you in advance for your assistance and information.

Jason - Pilgrim Aug 2017
View attachment 34439

I am also a Freemason,

On my last Camino I visited a town called Tomar. The Cathedral there has many symbols and one of only two statues of the Virgin Mary breast feeding the baby Jesus (a must see). You while in Ponferrada you will see the Knights Templar Castle. You will see MANY symbols in unexpected places, which you will recognize and others will just walk by ! One is just out side Pamplona as you are leaving the city. I have pictures, my Brother if you would like me to forward them. Also https://victortravelblog.com/2014/06/10/castles-knights-templar-in-portugal-history/
Also http://elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/articulo.php?i=Templars-on-the-Camino-de-Santiago
http://www.ancient-origins.net/anci...knights-templar-camino-de-santiago-and-021350
http://caminoways.com/brandon-wilsons-award-winning-along-the-templar-trail

Please enjoy your Pilgrimage.

I wish you a Buen Camino my Brother

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back