• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage Storage pricing question....

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hola all,

As you might know, I do run a luggage storage service in Santiago... I have charged the same price for this service since I started more than 10 years ago.

My prices are:

- Large items (suitcase, large box): €25,- for 60 days or more of storage
- Medium times (medium boxes, ..): €20,- for 60 days or more of storage
- Small items (envelopes, ..): €10,- for 60 days or more of storage

For the 2024 season, I am thinking of increasing the prices (as I said, for the first time in 10 years).

My question is, what would be your suggestions for what I could charge for this service?

I know that some people are on a budget, and some are not... so it is not that easy for me to find a price that might work for everyone. But I post this here just to get an ide of what "you" are thinking.

Thank you!
Ivar

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ten years is a long time to keep the same price Ivar, I reckon you are well overdue for an increase. As to what it should be I really have no idea but given your new location and the overhead you must have incurred, plus inflation, maybe 5 euros increase for each service? This is not a lot given the way prices have risen over ten years but it may be a balance between covering costs and still being affordable. Not an easy decision.

If you were a genuine retailer you'd be look at stock rotation. How many times can you sell the same space over and over again. Since most people are limited to 30 days or less, why not try a sliding scale e.g. 15, 30, 45, and 60 days. You'll find the 'sweet spot' where you have best yield for time/space.

There is a broadly similar organisation in Rome who do bag storage for those on the Francigena (and the CF I think). Have a look at their rates.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For most folks, the prices you are charging for TWO MONTHS storage are ridiculously cheap. On the other hand, if the same price applies to an item keep only a couple of weeks, then the prices start to get more expensive. I tend to think that most of your volume turns over in less than two months.

My suggestion would be to poke around town to find out what the other consignas charge for storing a mochila for the day, or longer. That would be my benchmark price.

For example, the last time I checked, the Pilgrim Office charged € per day for a mochila, and they would accept consignment for pilgrims who wanted to leave stuff there for longer periods of time. I forget if the rate dropped after a week. But, I recall that it may have.

Not everyone will want to store a mochila or mochila-sized carton. But, you need to start with something familiar and referenceable.

I would suggest a two-tiered pricing system. One price for up to 30 calendar days, then a different price, lower on daly average, for storage beyond 30 calendar days. No, I have no idea on what price would work. But something like one € daily, up to 14 calendar days, then €0,75 for 14 to 30 days. Then € 0,50 [er day beyond 30 days. I suggest a minimum amount - like € 10 for an envelope or small box - up to two weeks.

Alternatively, you might go with your structure above, but shorten the time period from two months to one.

Clearly, you could scale these prices up or down for sizes of packages or items. Use the mochila, and your current pricing, as a reference point.

Does this make sense? Perhaps it is too complicated. But it is linear.

I would think you want to be competitive with others in town providing similar services. On the other hand, you do not want to give your service away. As others have said, after 10 years, you deserve a raise.

Hope it helps,

Tom

My two cents, when picking an ‘affordable’ budget friendly storage price also consider the shipping cost from SJPP / Pamplona / Madrid etc that would also be incurred by the customer, add both together and then consider if the variety of types, age brackets and vastly varying financial status of pilgrims would still consider the total cost to them affordable.

I agree with the separate 14 / 30 / 60 day pricing suggestions.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I shipped something to our Madrid hotel a few years ago and they charged me 3 euros per day to hold it until we arrived...

Hola all,

As you might know, I do run a luggage storage service in Santiago... I have charged the same price for this service since I started more than 10 years ago.

My prices are:

For the 2024 season, I am thinking of increasing the prices (as I said, for the first time in 10 years).

My question is, what would be your suggestions for what I could charge for this service?

I know that some people are on a budget, and some are not... so it is not that easy for me to find a price that might work for everyone. But I post this here just to get an ide of what "you" are thinking.

Thank you!
Ivar
Others can better answer what the prices should be. I'm posting to ask about the pricing structure. All of the prices read as "for 60 days or more of storage. This, to me, raises two questions:
- What is the price for less than 60 days? The same? Something else?
- Is there a maximum storage duration? Can someone send something to you and show up a year later to pick it up for the same price?

Now it may be that you meant to write "60 days or less" in which case you will want to change the test on your website because as it stands now it says something very different. But if it wasn't a mistake, you'll want to post a price for less than 60 days because I expect most people walk less than 60 days. If the price for under 60 days is the same as the price for over 60 days and there is no maximum storage you can just say "for any duration of storage". If there is a maximum duration, you should indicate it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola all,

My prices are:

Thank you!
Ivar
Others can better answer what the prices should be. I'm posting to ask about the pricing structure. All of the prices read as "for 60 days or more of storage. This, to me, raises two questions:
- What is the price for less than 60 days? The same? Something else?
- Is there a maximum storage duration? Can someone send something to you and show up a year later to pick it up for the same price?

Now it may be that you meant to write "60 days or less" in which case you will want to change the test on your website because as it stands now it says something very different. But if it wasn't a mistake, you'll want to post a price for less than 60 days because I expect most people walk less than 60 days. If the price for under 60 days is the same as the price for over 60 days and there is no maximum storage you can just say "for any duration of storage". If there is a maximum duration, you should indicate it.
for sure you should calibrate more closely to length of storage; the open-ended option of ‘more than 60 days’ makes no business sense

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d personally start with a flat ‘receiving your item’ charge (say €5) then per day thereafter small/ medium/large 50c/€1/€2.

So, a ‘big bag’ for a month might be €65. I’d pay that.

It’s small change really; only when you multiply it by a room full of bags would it be significant. I assume you carry insurance for goods in storage and have to pay rent and staff the facility?

The cost incurred by people sending items to you is, IMHO, irrelevant - the service you provide starts and ends in your storeroom.

I suggest :-
Large items (suitcase, large box): €40,- for 60 days or more of storage
- Medium times (medium boxes, ..): €30,- for 60 days or more of storage
- Small items (envelopes, ..): €20,- for 60 days or more of storage
and I personally like the no 'per day' charge

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I suggest :-
Large items (suitcase, large box): €40,- for 60 days or more of storage
- Medium times (medium boxes, ..): €30,- for 60 days or more of storage
- Small items (envelopes, ..): €20,- for 60 days or more of storage
and I personally like the no 'per day' charge
I like this suggestion.

I so appreciated being able to ship my small suitcase from Pamplona to Santiago this year, resting easy knowing it was in safe hands, and at a ridiculously affordable price. After 10 years, it is indeed time for price increase.

I do agree with suggestions of a tiered pricing structure, and explicitly spelling out terms (eg a price tag for 60-90 days, and anything over 90 days is ___).

Day rates make sense when, for instance, I was in Madrid for a mere 24 hours and just needed a place to stick my backpack while waiting for the afternoon train. AND....I think Pilgrim House offers bag checks on a day rate basis?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Since most people are limited to 30 days or less, why not try a sliding scale e.g. 15, 30, 45, and 60 days.
Absolutely.

Raising your base prices (say) 10 or 15 percent wouldn't be too onerous to those of us on a strict budget.

But what I would suggest tweaking is cost per unit volume. A small envelope takes up a fraction of the space of the other two categories, so perhaps don't raise the price of that as much if at all. And increasing the other two categories according to size - more space/weight meaning more cost per item.

I’d personally start with a flat ‘receiving your item’ charge (say €5)

If Ivar goes with a daily rate this is a great idea, especially since we sometimes see Ivar running around to go pick up a package if companies tried to deliver it and he wasn’t there. :DThis flat rate would help compensate him for his time, even if not all the packages warranted running around.

AND....I think Pilgrim House offers bag checks on a day rate basis?

Yes! 1,50€ per day per bag, for pilgrims who’ve already arrived in Santiago and drop off their packs in person. (Unlike Ivar, Pilgrim House doesn’t accept bags or packages that are sent ahead.)

Ivar, I also agree with others that the time limits could be finessed and that storing something for 60 days or more has been very generous!

Paq peregrino charges €20.95 to send a bag ahead up to 15 Kilos to Santiago and provides or includes 15 days of free storage. They will store up till 45 days for an additional charge, so I think, financially, it is hard to compete, on a short term basis of two weeks or less, with Correos. So using a longer term of 30 and 60 days might be a better way to go.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.