• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My plan is not to have a plan, is that the point of the Camino?

Worldwithamy

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2023
Ever since I read about the Camino de Santiago last year, I’ve wanted to do it. It’s difficult to find the time off and money, but I had a bit of a YOLO moment and bought my flights to Porto.

I have never hiked longer than 4 hours. I have the worn-in shoes, and will be buying more gear (the pack). I will have my rough itinerary, which includes the last 100-125KM of the Portuguese coastal/Variante route. I’ll likely have a list of accommodations and sights to see, but not booked in advance (as I don’t know how long it’ll actually take me)

I’ll pack light. I’ve read that it’s easier to walk in the early mornings, and do about 20-25KM a day. But I will let myself go easy and do it at a pace that my body will feel comfortable with, stopping whenever needed. I’ll take precautions for bedbugs.

For food/water, I assume there will be plenty on the road? But will bring some snacks and a water bottle.

Is that good enough of a plan? I want to go with the flow. That is the point right?

What is life like on the Camino?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ever since I read about the Camino de Santiago last year, I’ve wanted to do it. It’s difficult to find the time off and money, but I had a bit of a YOLO moment and bought my flights to Porto.

I have never hiked longer than 4 hours. I have the worn-in shoes, and will be buying more gear (the pack). I will have my rough itinerary, which includes the last 100-125KM of the Portuguese coastal/Variante route. I’ll likely have a list of accommodations and sights to see, but not booked in advance (as I don’t know how long it’ll actually take me)

I’ll pack light. I’ve read that it’s easier to walk in the early mornings, and do about 20-25KM a day. But I will let myself go easy and do it at a pace that my body will feel comfortable with, stopping whenever needed. I’ll take precautions for bedbugs.

For food/water, I assume there will be plenty on the road? But will bring some snacks and a water bottle.

Is that good enough of a plan? I want to go with the flow. That is the point right?

Sounds like a sound Plan ;)

Buen Camino!

Even if you had a detailed plan it’d be redundant within a week. None of my walks have gone to plan, and that’s half the adventure. Sounds like you have enough of a plan to get you started. The rest will fall into place once you’re there. That’s my experience anyway.
Buen Camino.

PS: I’d take 2 water bottles. If it’s hot you’ll need them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All Camino routes give us the rare opportunity to experience life without a carefully scheduled plan. There’s always somewhere to stay, something to eat and you can quit at anytime. That’s a gift if we choose to see it.

Don’t pack your fears. Carry less. Be only in the present.

There is no wrong plan for the Camino! As we each walk our own Camino, the best plan is the one that works for you. There is no right or wrong way to get to Santiago. The wonderful thing about walking is that if something isn’t working for you, you adjust! In short order, you’ll find out what is best for you to make it the Camino you want it to be. It’s all good! Buen Camino!

In GENERAL less is more on the Camino. Packing less is a good idea - you have to carry it. Planning less opens you to more experiences.

Everyone is different. I trend toward obsessive compulsive behavior, so I need a little more planning, and a few kilos more in my rucksack. But, over ten years and six Caminos, I have never encountered anything that I was unprepared to handle.

Consider what you would pack for a long day hike. This includes things like first aid, rain gear, hiking poles, flashlight (head lamp preferred), water bottle(s), wide-brimmed sun hat, sunglasses & spare eyeglasses, personal medications, electronics (recharge or battery pack) and stout, snacks, and well broken-in shoes or boots. You can do this in less than 25 liters.

Start there, and add at least one change of clothing, and perhaps a third set of underwear and socks. Also, add a fleece outer garment to layer under your raingear, or to wear to sleep in on a cool night. Albergues are notoriously stingy with heat - it is very expensive in Spain.

This might boost your total volume to around 30 liters.

Depending on the time of year and route, some people bring a light / summer sleeping bag or quilt. Others swear by a sleeping bag liner. I found the perfect compromise at Alps Engineering. They sell several sleeping bag liners that look like lightweight microfiber sleeping bags. They have a full zip, open into a large full-size sheet and can be machine washed. Best of all, they only cost @ USD $30. I use this with a Sea to Summit air pillow.

This increases your volume to between 32 and 40 liters, depending on your sleeping system, solution.

When I first began walking the Camino 10 years ago, I carried a 48 liter Osprey Kestrel rucksack. After two French Caminos, I switched to a 38 liter Osprey Kestrel rucksack - with a 3 liter belly bag and front water bottle holders. Presently, I plan to do my next Camino with a 32 liter rucksack, combined with a 3 liter belly bag, and front water bottle holders.

Like Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man, I am a work in progress. Knowing my luck, I will get this all tuned in a sorted around the time that I have to hang up my hiking boots.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I'm just about to finish the Camino Frances ( started at SJPDP).
My best advice to you (and this is recent experience):
Wear boots (not shoes, as I did). There are rough uneven paths and boots will definitely give you more stability. People do wear shoes hiking but I will never again.
Make sure your pack, inclusive of at least 1 litre water (most people dont drink enough water) weighs a maximum of 10kg. If it's over that (trust me, I did it) it just makes the journey so much harder.
Pack light. You only need one change of clothes. Dont put in extras because you MIGHT need something. If you need anything, buy it on the way.
Best of luck, have fun. The Camino is a great adventure!

I think your walking plan is good because the first rule of thumb for me is to listen to your body. (f you like your trail runners buy a new pair of the same ones). I will be walking the variante later this year and I would just check out about the boat situation. Lots of information regarding this.
More importantly I think is your question of what the Camino is like. Lots of people have expectations and some fears which are all normal. You don't seem to have any fear. I know we must be of different generations and see much of life through different lenses. But I can tell you after walking more than 7,000 kilometers on different caminos, just like you said, "go with the flow". Clear your mind of expectations. All you have is the step you are taking in that moment. Let the bulls*%t of your life out, as it flows in, let it flow out. Then who knows maybe some beautiful stuff you least expect can flow into your heart, mind and spirit. Talk when you want to talk, really listen when someone you may have met for just a few minutes before wants to talk, and be silent when you need and want that too. Walk your camino and not someone else's. Keep an open head and heart and the people you need to meet may walk into your life, even if it is just for a coffee by the sea. Everyone says be mindful and purposeful. I think be mindless and purposeless, only then can what you need to see, hear, feel and say can happen. Most of all accept the rain, wind, sun, heat, cold, whatever hits you smile and say I am on the camino and I am free, what can be better than this? Finally maybe you will realize the Camino is really "real" life and you realize you have finally come home.

Please take some Portuguese with you. All of the small business owners and other residents along the Camino do not speak English, and it can be kind of awkward to have to do Google translate to ask a simple question and then understand the answer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Having no plan sounds like a good plan to me!

Sounds like the right attitude, Buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

This Peregrina agrees with your plan.

Wear boots (not shoes, as I did). There are rough uneven paths and boots will definitely give you more stability. People do wear shoes hiking but I will never again.
This is one of those personal preference things. It's definitely good to be forewarned about what the trail is like, but there are many who find trail runners, light hiking shoes, and even sandals to be the perfect footwear for them.

This is one of those personal preference things. It's definitely good to be forewarned about what the trail is like, but there are many who find trail runners, light hiking shoes, and even sandals to be the perfect footwear for them.
Agree, I love walking in my super light trail runners with good grip but what you wear is up to you.

I haven't walked any of the Portuguese Caminos but one thing that gets mentioned quite a lot is that some routes have a lot of walking on cobblestones.

This seemed to bother a lot of people. I don't have the personal experience and could be wrong but a shoe with both a stiff sole and good grip might be good for cobblestones.

I suggest that you ask around about this.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It all depends on where you are in your life and what you’re hoping this experience will give you. For some people, their experience is enhanced by planning, and for others, they gain more from not planning. It also depends on the route you’re doing.

Whenever I travel to another country, I read up some on the history and culture, especially as it relates to the places I’ll be. I learn some basic phrases in the language, and I familiarize myself with food traditions and words I’m likely to see on menus. As I learn about cultural things, I might make “plans” to be sure to eat or drink certain things when I’m in a given region.

I’m on the Camino now, and I’m very glad to have gotten to see some things I wouldn’t have known about without my advance reading. (Certain sights/museums.)

And the fact that you do any planning and advance research does NOT mean that you’re taking all the unpredictability out of it. Plenty of totally out-of-control things keep happening anyway, trust me.

I think one question to ask yourself is how much you want to experience and learn about Spanish/Portuguese culture while you’re doing this. It’s possible to exist in kind of a Camino bubble, where everyone you interact with is either a pilgrim or somehow involved in the Camino-supporting apparatus. (Always eating the pilgrim menu, always staying in albergues and eating in places right on the Camino, etc.) If you also want to experience the culture of the country, some advance planning is helpful. The Camino kind of has its own culture.

I haven’t done the route you’re considering, but I’d also add that although the main drag Camino might be possible with little planning, others differ. The less trafficked routes have less support, and there’s good reason to read up and not just wing it. You could get stuck with no water in dangerous heat or stretches that require a lot of exertion, for example. There aren’t always easy ways to shorten a day if you need to or there’s an emergency. On the main drag, there are always other pilgrims around, and you’re never far from a major road or bus line or taxi. And lots of places take credit cards. That’s not true on all routes, and people should plan accordingly.

There’s a balance to be struck between planning and just letting things transpire.

That is the point right?
I wouldn't say so. There is no universal "point" to the Camino. Each person goes for their own reasons, whether clear or not. The point of my Caminos is not to "not have a plan." However, if that is the experience you seek, it sounds like you are reasonably prepared, and will have a great time. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did the CP in April and I would recommend booking a night in advance after Barcelos and definitely after Valenca/Tui as many groups start there. Have a great time!

Sounds perfect!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Our first Camino back to 2009 was similar. We had no real information, no knowledge of the forum or other information.

Our plan was to plan how to get to St Jean, book the first night and then get up and head toward Santiago.
After that it was walk...eat....sleep and then do it again the next morning. A simple plan without expectations made everything new and exciting with no let down or disappointment'

It worked great. I still use the same basic concept with the addition of GPS on the lesser traveled routes.

Enjoy your adventure....you got it!

I had a bit of a YOLO moment and bought my flights to Porto.
Nothing like a bit of excitement to shake things up!
Buen Camino!

I have never hiked longer than 4 hours.
4 hours will take you a good way towards your daily goal of 20-25 km. You have the rest of the day to make up the difference.

I will have my rough itinerary, which includes the last 100-125KM of the Portuguese coastal/Variante route.
Let's be straight here. We're talking a 125 km walk spread over several days on a popular route with lots of services. Lots of fallback options. It'll be fine.

I’ll likely have a list of accommodations and sights to see, but not booked in advance
Some can do this, some can't and some can learn to do it. The trick, I have found, for spontaneous travel in strange places is not to pack any expectations.
Sometimes, that cold glass of water can be nicer than the finest wine vintage, that bunk under a snorer can be more like "home" than the fancy four poster overlooking a swimming pool.
To quote from a country song "The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have pretty good days".

But I will let myself go easy and do it at a pace that my body will feel comfortable
Smart.
stopping whenever needed
Sometimes there just isn't a place to stop right when you need it. At those times it's no harm to have a few mental tricks to get you to the next rest place or the facility to see how far it is to the next rest place. Or the ability to make do with what is available.
Don't assume that about water. And always carry some food. Whatever about nutrition, a bit of food can be a great mood lifter. A little food or water to share along the way is a great way to make friends!
Is that good enough of a plan?
It sounds perfect to me......... but it really depends on you!

I want to go with the flow. That is the point right?
The "point" differs for everyone. Only you have the ability to know why you're doing this.
It's perfectly alright to not know and answer the call. Maybe you'll figure it out along the way. Maybe not.
Either way, it's an experience. What you get out of it is up to you.

I have developed a habit of stopping every now and then and absorbing where I am. I'll tell myself where I am, and remind myself how lucky I am. Sometimes, what I'm seeing or feeling is reason enough to be there.

It's whatever you make of it. Some people can drop right into it, others resist. Two people can walk the same way on the same day and have very different perceptions.
It really depends on you.

Good luck!

(And maybe come back and give an update? Most of this forum is filled with plans, a counterpoint would be interesting to digest)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In GENERAL less is more on the Camino. Packing less is a good idea - you have to carry it. Planning less opens you to more experiences.

Everyone is different. I trend toward obsessive compulsive behavior, so I need a little more planning, and a few kilos more in my rucksack. But, over ten years and six Caminos, I have never encountered anything that I was unprepared to handle.

Consider what you would pack for a long day hike. This includes things like first aid, rain gear, hiking poles, flashlight (head lamp preferred), water bottle(s), wide-brimmed sun hat, sunglasses & spare eyeglasses, personal medications, electronics (recharge or battery pack) and stout, snacks, and well broken-in shoes or boots. You can do this in less than 25 liters.

Start there, and add at least one change of clothing, and perhaps a third set of underwear and socks. Also, add a fleece outer garment to layer under your raingear, or to wear to sleep in on a cool night. Albergues are notoriously stingy with heat - it is very expensive in Spain.

This might boost your total volume to around 30 liters.

Depending on the time of year and route, some people bring a light / summer sleeping bag or quilt. Others swear by a sleeping bag liner. I found the perfect compromise at Alps Engineering. They sell several sleeping bag liners that look like lightweight microfiber sleeping bags. They have a full zip, open into a large full-size sheet and can be machine washed. Best of all, they only cost @ USD $30. I use this with a Sea to Summit air pillow.

This increases your volume to between 32 and 40 liters, depending on your sleeping system, solution.

When I first began walking the Camino 10 years ago, I carried a 48 liter Osprey Kestrel rucksack. After two French Caminos, I switched to a 38 liter Osprey Kestrel rucksack - with a 3 liter belly bag and front water bottle holders. Presently, I plan to do my next Camino with a 32 liter rucksack, combined with a 3 liter belly bag, and front water bottle holders.

Like Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man, I am a work in progress. Knowing my luck, I will get this all tuned in a sorted around the time that I have to hang up my hiking boots.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I carry a 22 liter Osprey Talon and still pack too much.

I did the CP in April and I would recommend booking a night in advance after Barcelos and definitely after Valenca/Tui as many groups start there. Have a great time!
Just wondering did you stay in private albergues or hostels only? Did you stay in any donativos or municipals that do not take reservations? If you did where those albergues filling up? Just wondering. Thanks

I stayed mostly in private albergues and made reservations via booking.com and booked Casa Fernanda in Lugar du Conde via phone. Definitely recommend Casa Fernanda. I stayed at one municipal in Caldas de Rei but booked that via booking. Every place I stayed was filled up except Padron I think.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
i went on a spontaneous basis last year but came up short on water a couple times due to the zero planning so it's worth double checking that for the day! otherwise i vote for pack light and go where you want! (i stayed in a mix of albergues and some private by choice not necessity)

Propper Planning Prevents (Piss) Poor Performance!

If you have never walked more than 4 hours, what makes you think that you can walk longer in Spain over multiple days without injury to yourself?

Do you know anything about travel skills in Europe, so you won't get pickpocketed?

-Paul

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Over a number of Caminos I've planned less and less. Now I have a loose plan for the day in mind which considers available resources (am I flush with cash? what, exactly, is in my pack? are there bars and supermarkets available?) along the way (which may or may not be open), terrain, indicated weather forecast (always somewhat sketchy) distance to the proposed nights lodging (and alternatives if needed), and the way I feel mentally and physically before heading out. My day out time horizon works pretty well for me.

That's actually a lot of things to consider. They are considered - kind of automatically, due to the experience taught by several Caminos. I'm generally ok being somewhat sore, tired, and hungry. I function pretty well with two or three smallish blisters. Throw in wet (which happens often) and lost (which almost never happens) and I start to get ornery though.

Its not exactly spot on as it refers to camping rather than Camino-ing, but I like to re-read Patrick F. McManus's short story A Fine and Pleasant Misery before heading out. Excerpt: "When you did get back home you prolonged the enjoyment of your trip by telling all your friends how miserable you had been. The more you talked about the miseries of life in the woods, the more you wanted to get back out there and start suffering again". https://archive.org/details/finepleasantmise00mcma

I'd say make sure to take worst case scenarios off the table, and keep in mind that the Camino provides, but sometimes it does so in an expensive way, and you should have a good experience, possibly the best experience of your life. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Spot on. Pilgrims are killing the Caminos by booking well in advance. No adventure. Go with the flow. Do as much as you feel like doing for the day. The spark of adventure. Not sure what YOLO means though!

Buen Camino to you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

If you have never walked more than 4 hours, what makes you think that you can walk longer in Spain over multiple days without injury to yourself?

Do you know anything about travel skills in Europe, so you won't get pickpocketed?

-Paul
Since the OP hasn't been back I hope they haven't read this!

The OP probably won't need to walk much further than 4 hours per day.
By multiple days you mean about 5?
Do people prepare for the Camino by walking 30 days of 30km? In a row? Do marathon runners run a marathon before running The Marathon? I don't think so.

I think the skills to avoid being pickpocketed in Europe are pretty much the same as anywhere else in the world. Such a dark and scary thing to say. Far better to suggest the OP pick up a few words of Portuguese or Spanish.

Some people prefer a more spontaneous approach to things. I've certainly come around to that way of thinking. It would be helpful if they weren't scared off from attempting it.
Last year, I met a man who had travelled in places I can only dream of. Excited, I started a conversation. I was told how many kms he had travelled, how many meters climbed, the types and percentages of different surfaces he had travelled on. When asked him how he felt, what spoke to him of these places, he just looked at me blankly.
I take the view that our head only has limited space to store things, Fill it up too much with detail and plans there is little left over experiences. Too detailed a plan leaves us ticking off boxes in a mental checklist, or worse, getting anxious when we don't get to add that tick.

A few days walking in a first world country on a well serviced route with lots of company? Keep the sun on your right is about all the planning I'd need.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Our first Camino back to 2009 was similar. We had no real information, no knowledge of the forum or other information.

Our plan was to plan how to get to St Jean, book the first night and then get up and head toward Santiago.
After that it was walk...eat....sleep and then do it again the next morning. A simple plan without expectations made everything new and exciting with no let down or disappointment'

It worked great. I still use the same basic concept with the addition of GPS on the lesser traveled routes.

Enjoy your adventure....you got it!
Wow! Well hopefully after 10+ years of additional online blogs and resources invested it’s even easier now :) but that’s amazing, you accomplished that!

Nothing like a bit of excitement to shake things up!
Buen Camino!

4 hours will take you a good way towards your daily goal of 20-25 km. You have the rest of the day to make up the difference.

Let's be straight here. We're talking a 125 km walk spread over several days on a popular route with lots of services. Lots of fallback options. It'll be fine.

Some can do this, some can't and some can learn to do it. The trick, I have found, for spontaneous travel in strange places is not to pack any expectations.
Sometimes, that cold glass of water can be nicer than the finest wine vintage, that bunk under a snorer can be more like "home" than the fancy four poster overlooking a swimming pool.
To quote from a country song "The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have pretty good days".

Smart.

Sometimes there just isn't a place to stop right when you need it. At those times it's no harm to have a few mental tricks to get you to the next rest place or the facility to see how far it is to the next rest place. Or the ability to make do with what is available.

Don't assume that about water. And always carry some food. Whatever about nutrition, a bit of food can be a great mood lifter. A little food or water to share along the way is a great way to make friends!

It sounds perfect to me......... but it really depends on you!

The "point" differs for everyone. Only you have the ability to know why you're doing this.
It's perfectly alright to not know and answer the call. Maybe you'll figure it out along the way. Maybe not.
Either way, it's an experience. What you get out of it is up to you.

I have developed a habit of stopping every now and then and absorbing where I am. I'll tell myself where I am, and remind myself how lucky I am. Sometimes, what I'm seeing or feeling is reason enough to be there.

It's whatever you make of it. Some people can drop right into it, others resist. Two people can walk the same way on the same day and have very different perceptions.
It really depends on you.

Good luck!

(And maybe come back and give an update? Most of this forum is filled with plans, a counterpoint would be interesting to digest)
Thank you! I’ll make sure to report back :)

I carry a 22 liter Osprey Talon and still pack too much.
Ah! I loved the look of the Osprey Talon 22L and found it on sale but worried it may be too small since I have not finished packing and have no idea what to fully bring! I went with a vaude 30L thinking I don’t have to fill it up if I don’t need to

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
i went on a spontaneous basis last year but came up short on water a couple times due to the zero planning so it's worth double checking that for the day! otherwise i vote for pack light and go where you want! (i stayed in a mix of albergues and some private by choice not necessity)
This might sound silly, but where do you go for water? Is the water safe to drink without a personal filter at the fountains?

-Paul
I’ve travelled to 25+ countries on my own. I’m not much of a hiker but am very active and wanted to take on a challenge!

Over a number of Caminos I've planned less and less. Now I have a loose plan for the day in mind which considers available resources (am I flush with cash? what, exactly, is in my pack? are there bars and supermarkets available?) along the way (which may or may not be open), terrain, indicated weather forecast (always somewhat sketchy) distance to the proposed nights lodging (and alternatives if needed), and the way I feel mentally and physically before heading out. My day out time horizon works pretty well for me.

That's actually a lot of things to consider. They are considered - kind of automatically, due to the experience taught by several Caminos. I'm generally ok being somewhat sore, tired, and hungry. I function pretty well with two or three smallish blisters. Throw in wet (which happens often) and lost (which almost never happens) and I start to get ornery though.

Its not exactly spot on as it refers to camping rather than Camino-ing, but I like to re-read Patrick F. McManus's short story A Fine and Pleasant Misery before heading out. Excerpt: "When you did get back home you prolonged the enjoyment of your trip by telling all your friends how miserable you had been. The more you talked about the miseries of life in the woods, the more you wanted to get back out there and start suffering again". https://archive.org/details/finepleasantmise00mcma

I'd say make sure to take worst case scenarios off the table, and keep in mind that the Camino provides, but sometimes it does so in an expensive way, and you should have a good experience, possibly the best experience of your life. Good luck and Buen Camino!
What’s the best 1-2 resources you used to keep track of the necessities (supermarkets, bars etc) along the way? An app? Map?

€83,-
Since the OP hasn't been back I hope they haven't read this!

The OP probably won't need to walk much further than 4 hours per day.
By multiple days you mean about 5?
Do people prepare for the Camino by walking 30 days of 30km? In a row? Do marathon runners run a marathon before running The Marathon? I don't think so.

I think the skills to avoid being pickpocketed in Europe are pretty much the same as anywhere else in the world. Such a dark and scary thing to say. Far better to suggest the OP pick up a few words of Portuguese or Spanish.

Some people prefer a more spontaneous approach to things. I've certainly come around to that way of thinking. It would be helpful if they weren't scared off from attempting it.
Last year, I met a man who had travelled in places I can only dream of. Excited, I started a conversation. I was told how many kms he had travelled, how many meters climbed, the types and percentages of different surfaces he had travelled on. When asked him how he felt, what spoke to him of these places, he just looked at me blankly.
I take the view that our head only has limited space to store things, Fill it up too much with detail and plans there is little left over experiences. Too detailed a plan leaves us ticking off boxes in a mental checklist, or worse, getting anxious when we don't get to add that tick.

A few days walking in a first world country on a well serviced route with lots of company? Keep the sun on your right is about all the planning I'd need.
Appreciate you!

Ah! I loved the look of the Osprey Talon 22L and found it on sale but worried it may be too small since I have not finished packing and have no idea what to fully bring! I went with a vaude 30L thinking I don’t have to fill it up if I don’t need to
It depends on when you’re doing your Camino, in my opinion. If you’ll be walking during the shoulder months - April/May or late September/October, you’ll probably need to pack a little bit more. You might need a 30L. Otherwise, if you’re walking in the summer months, you’ll pack much lighter, hence, 22L I think will work. Buen Camino

Please take some Portuguese with you. All of the small business owners and other residents along the Camino do not speak English, and it can be kind of awkward to have to do Google translate to ask a simple question and then understand the answer.
Camino Portugues, at least when I walked it from Lisbon to SdC a few years ago, was mostly populated by German pilgrims. Most of those I met and talked to could speak more or less only German or English. Or only German. But it seemed the ancient language (using your arms, mostly) worked well for them, too. So I don't think you'll have a language problem. Of course, you'll learn soon things like "obrigada" etc., and whatever else you'll want or need. Hope you'll love it. Buen camino. Or rather: Bom caminho! 😉

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back