• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need advice from women (G rated).

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal route from Lisbon in May (2015)
Via de la Plata from Seville in April-May 2017
I should have started this thread earlier. I fly to Lisbon tomorrow, but should be able to see responses over the next month. My flight home is June 1 and my 7th wedding anniversary is the day before, May 31. I would like to buy some traditional Portuguese jewelry for my wife (or not come home!). I'm in Lisbon the last 2 days and would buy it before flying back. No earrings. Necklace, broach, bracelets are possible. Nothing Camino specific (since she did not walk it). Not worrying about price right now, but let's keep it realistic. OK Camino women - what should I buy?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I should have started this thread earlier. I fly to Lisbon tomorrow, but should be able to see responses over the next month. My flight home is June 1 and my 7th wedding anniversary is the day before, May 31. I would like to buy some traditional Portuguese jewelry for my wife (or not come home!). I'm in Lisbon the last 2 days and would buy it before flying back. No earrings. Necklace, broach, bracelets are possible. Nothing Camino specific (since she did not walk it). Not worrying about price right now, but let's keep it realistic. OK Camino women - what should I buy?
This thread will be interesting ;)

In Portugal, particularly in the South (Algarve), older houses have interesting, attractive chimneys. Small replicas can be found in many jewelry places of Lisbon. ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hm ... never even noticed particular portuguese jewelry. in the northern parts you might find items w/ some celtic influences.
what i loved (and brought back home) was very fine and exquisite cotton/lace nightwear (Casa Branca in Sintra was a find in that regard)
near the coast you also might find items with pearl/mother of pearl items.
or further south perhaps more arabic influenced items
https://www.google.com/search?q=por...v&sa=X&ei=UhNAVc_fJ4PEogTcyYDQAg&ved=0CCwQ7Ak
good luck !!

Hi Steve - I hiked Portugal in 2013 and managed to accumulate a bit of jewellery and smaller items along the Way!

Wandering Lisbon you should be able to find some nice jewellery stores, and hopefully be spoilt for choice. I found the silverwork gorgeous and I saw many necklaces and bracelets that were delicately patterned and looked traditional but very wearable.

And as a thought to go with what you buy - most souvenir stores sell little tiled dishes that are beautiful if you hunt around. I use mine as a jewellery dish and gave one to Mum as well, she loved it!

Good luck :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I purchased a beautiful silver filigree bracelet in Lisbon, Portugal about 10 years ago. It's so unique and still to this day one of my favorite pieces of jewelry. There were many very nice jewelry shops down in the area near the Baixa / Chiado metro stop, where we shopped, and I'm sure all over the city as well.

Hi. If I remember correctly there is a piece of jewellery typical for Portuguese women from a certain part of the country. It's called the heart of Vienna if I'm not mistaken. It comes in various designs and you can find different takes on it almost everywhere in Lisbon. Good luck. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would want a bracelet...Just make sure you know the size of her wrist and weather she prefers longer or shorter necklaces. lol enjoy the shopping and I am sure she will love what ever YOU take the time to get her. What wife wouldn't want a present so well thought out that you even ask in a forum for help!

Don't forget there is also Santiago de Compostela. Not everything is Camino related and I bought a beautiful modern jet and silver broach there a few years ago.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's a brave man who thinks he can buy underwear that his wife will actual like.:eek:

Al, the only possible way to present such a foolhardy purchase would be, after drinking an entire bottle of Aguardente Bagaçeira, to model the garment in front of your wife.

I am sure she would appreciate the presentation and the "thoughtful" gift :)

Not sure where A&E is in Wolverhampton but I'd look in up in Google Earth first!

100% Portuguese jewelry seen nowhere else is filigree. The portuguese word is filigrana.
But you can loose your head (and all your money) in the fancy jewelry shops Lisbon downtown.
The hearth of Viana (Coração de Viana) is a very known design, but there's much more options.
You can google "filigrana" pictures.
So, I live in Lisboa, my wife loves filigree, call her and she will be delighted to help you choose. She is the one answering the SOS Pilgrim's phone of the portuguese association Via Lusitana, (+351) 915 595 213. You can say you're a pilgrim in trouble, and it seems you will be if you return home empty hands :)
This is Sharon Stone with a oversized Hearth of Viana.

16.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
100% Portuguese jewelry seen nowhere else is filigree. The portuguese word is filigrana.
But you can loose your head (and all your money) in the fancy jewelry shops Lisbon downtown.
The hearth of Viana (Coração de Viana) is a very known design, but there's much more options.
You can google "filigrana" pictures.
So, I live in Lisboa, my wife loves filigree, call her and she will be delighted to help you choose. She is the one answering the SOS Pilgrim's phone of the portuguese association Via Lusitana, (+351) 915 595 213. You can say you're a pilgrim in trouble, and it seems you will be if you return home empty hands :)
This is Sharon Stone with a oversized Hearth of Viana.

View attachment 18131
Jose, I might forget, so tell Natercia I want to look at this too. lol OHMG only 63 more days... So excited. Hugs to the both of you. Ingrid

Leaving for the airport in less than an hour. Thanks for all the ideas. I think it will be something with Heart of Viana filigree. This started when I told my wife if she didn't give me some gift ideas, I would just get her a refrigerator magnet. That's when she suggested jewelry! I will update you in early June with the actual results. Bom Caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am on the caminho now Steve and took my wife with me.
I said. You may buy everything you want but have to carry it yourself .
Untill now my credit card hasn't been charged for gifts and presents though:p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK - I had intended to post this last year after returning home, but better late than never. Here is a photo of the Heart of Viana filigree necklace I purchased in Lisbon. It's modeled by my wife who was very pleased to receive it.

Attachments

• Camino Necklace - Copy.jpg
    Camino Necklace - Copy.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 48
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
OK - I had intended to post this last year after returning home, but better late than never. Here is a photo of the Heart of Viana filigree necklace I purchased in Lisbon. It's modeled by my wife who was very pleased to receive it.

Absolutely beautiful, Steve. Much prettier than the one Sharon Stone was wearing, IMO. You don't by any chance remember the name of the store where you bought it, do you? I go to Lisbon every year and wouldn't mind stopping by...... :)

Lovely choice and lovely photo.
But thanks a lot. I'm leaving for Portugal next week and now I will likely be delayed on my walk due to jewelry shopping. ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Absolutely beautiful, Steve. Much prettier than the one Sharon Stone was wearing, IMO. You don't by any chance remember the name of the store where you bought it, do you? I go to Lisbon every year and wouldn't mind stopping by...... :)
And when will you be here again?

Hi Laurie

Near my workplace, there is a small goldsmith who you can help and he's my friend, we can visit and ask for advice without obligation.

Amsimoes

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes I will be here, Laurie. Let's have that Pastel de Nata.
Amsimoes knows a good shop. See?
But here are at least a hundred more jewelry shops (although some are no more than tourist traps) in Lisboa downtown selling those Corações de Viana , all of them beautiful.

My husband travels the world without me and almost always brings something meaningful back from each country. I started collecting handbags.. but handmade ones. It began when we were in Hawaii and watched a woman weave them from banana leaves. I now have them from all over the world made of leather, coconuts, patterned fabrics. It's a neat cultural thing for me. He also brings me thoughtful jewelry on occasion, not always expensive. I have dolphins carved from coconuts and shell, or music related pieces in the form of necklaces and charms. I have an odd dangly phone case charm from Japan (not hand made and no clue what it is ;)).
A friend once brought me a very simple Murano glass ring. I adore it and turned it into a necklace.
I have no idea what's available but I suggest avoiding the obvious souvenirs and find the meaningful to you and her. Maybe there is something meaningful related to your Camino that you would like to share with her?

My credit card statement says I bought it at Joalharia Ferreira Marques. The location on their website map looks correct. It cost 2,418 Euros (Not really. Just kidding. I'm not saying the price. But that's how much I told my wife it cost. No. Just kidding that also.)

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back