• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New routing for the Camino Olvidado

peregrina2000

Staff member
The pictures of the Leon Olvidado Association's most recent walk shows pictures from Valdepielago to Vegacervera. From there the group will walk to Pola de Gordon and then on to La Magdalena. Absolutely beautiful mountain walking.

https://www.facebook.com/Asociación-Leonesa-del-Camino-Olvidado-638038153073918/?hc_ref=ART3rItmE6I5QZ9Mfp7tfASg8vCUTtrMNMYG0OI7oIDQf0tdum1bkBrjWtvboQYt71c

I had heard from Ender that he had re-marked and re-routed a few chunks of the Olvidado. When I walked we went Cistierna - Bonar - La Robla, and the new route looks to be totally different.

The stages shown here are what I walked: http://www.elcaminoolvidado.com/

Anyone out there with good information?

I would also say that these pictures absolutely make me want to go back and try the new route. With the other mountain stretch after Fasgar, this route may top the Salvador for its beautiful mountain scenery.

and p.s. here are Ender's tracks. https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=15178871

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Did Ender say why he re-routed the path? What does the Asociacion say about that? Which is the original route walked by Hugo? Does anyone know? Does this new route offer better conditions to contemporary pilgrims?
Hi, Reb, I don't know anything about the details. And I don't know who Hugo is. The re-routing had to do with getting off asphalt and into the mountains. The day from La Robla was gruesome on the route I walked. I remember Ender telling me that there were albergues opening in some of the towns, municipally owned and operated, but I think I need to email him to see what this is all about. I will report back, thanks for the nudge.

I don't know what the Camino Olvidado Association that is located either in Bilbao or nearby thinks about it.
The Leon Association is apparently fine with it, since they have three advertised walks -- hey, two are still to come, so if you are feeling like it..... But in any case, I will check with Ender and see what I learn. 22449747_773416276202771_661551927792837260_n.jpg

I have written to Ender and will let you know what I hear from him. In the meantime, a little google surfing has brought me to a web page that explains that this route is actually the historical one. It follows the path detailed in a document written in Latin in 902 (that's pretty early for pilgrims walking to Santiago, no?) and was translated to bable or whatever they were speaking in that area in 1002. This is a couple of centuries before the Codex, I think. The author explains that the camino took some more circuituous routes through mountains to avoid the Moors, and that of course became unnecessary after the Reconquest, explaining why the camino would have fallen out of favor as a way to get to Santiago.

http://rsas0010.blogspot.com.es/sea...jo Camino de Santiago en la provincia de León

There also seems to be some movement on the albergue front, one in Igüeña seems to be in the works.

Pretty interesting, 544 km from Bilbao to a bit beyond Ponferrada (though I swung back to Ponferrada when I got to Columbrianos).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have gotten some updates about what's been happening on the Olvidado. Ender's first focus was on the 25 municipalities in León where the route passes. He got them all together to form the Association that has the web page. They in turn designated him as the one who should both be in charge of determining the official route and the one to coordinate with the other provinces that the Olvidado passes through -- Vizcaya, Cantabria, Burgos and Palencia.

The mountain stretch publicized in the announcement is one of two marked alternatives between Boñar and la Magdalena. The one through La Robla is the one I walked. The newly marked alternative is the old Roman road route through the mountain. It goes through Buiza (on the Salvador) to Pola de Gordón (also on the Salvador) and then to Magdalena through a spot called Los Calderones (google for good pics), Piedrasecha, Viñayo, Otero de las Dueñas and finally La Magdalena.

In Boñar they are fixing up a house for an albergue, in Vegacervera there is an agreement with a youth camp that has cabins with bunk beds (10 €), there is already an albergue in Buiza. Pola de Gordón, which is a few kms down the road from Buiza, has private places. In Magdalena the old school house is going to be an albergue, and Ender got some bunk beds from an albergue in Astorga which he will bring there. Also an albergue opening in Vegarienza (which would be the next stage after Magdalena). There is a new albergue in Fasgar and an albergue in Iguena. Labaniego has a place to sleep with no shower. Congosto has nothing yet but he is workng on it. Cabañas Raras, the next stage, opens the polideportivo, and then you get to the Camino Francés, and can go either to Villafranca del Bierzo or back to Ponferada as I did.

Other places along the route with albergues are Guardo, Puente
Almuhey, and Cistierna.

When I walked in 2014, the only albergues were in Cistierna and La Robla (and they had nothing to do with the Camino Olvidado -- one is on the Vadiniense, the other on the Salvador), so this is a pretty mind blowing development.

But those of us who saw how the Salvador developed from zero thanks to Ender and his little band of angels will not be surprised.

If you are looking for something along the lines of the Salvador-Primitivo, this could be just the thing.

I will be getting a list of accommodations, stages, bars, etc, and will post it also.

I have written to Ender and will let you know what I hear from him. In the meantime, a little google surfing has brought me to a web page that explains that this route is actually the historical one. It follows the path detailed in a document written in Latin in 902 (that's pretty early for pilgrims walking to Santiago, no?) and was translated to bable or whatever they were speaking in that area in 1002. This is a couple of centuries before the Codex, I think. The author explains that the camino took some more circuituous routes through mountains to avoid the Moors, and that of course became unnecessary after the Reconquest, explaining why the camino would have fallen out of favor as a way to get to Santiago.

http://rsas0010.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Guía del Viejo Camino de Santiago en la provincia de León

There also seems to be some movement on the albergue front, one in Igüeña seems to be in the works.

I have gotten some updates about what's been happening on the Olvidado. Ender's first focus was on the 25 municipalities in León where the route passes. He got them all together to form the Association that has the web page. They in turn designated him as the one who should both be in charge of determining the official route and the one to coordinate with the other provinces that the Olvidado passes through -- Vizcaya, Cantabria, Burgos and Palencia.

The mountain stretch publicized in the announcement is one of two marked alternatives between Boñar and la Magdalena. The one through La Robla is the one I walked. The newly marked alternative is the old Roman road route through the mountain. It goes through Buiza (on the Salvador) to Pola de Gordón (also on the Salvador) and then to Magdalena through a spot called Los Calderones (google for good pics), Piedrasecha, Viñayo, Otero de las Dueñas and finally La Magdalena.

In Boñar they are fixing up a house for an albergue, in Vegacervera there is an agreement with a youth camp that has cabins with bunk beds (10 €), there is already an albergue in Buiza. Pola de Gordón, which is a few kms down the road from Buiza, has private places. In Magdalena the old school house is going to be an albergue, and Ender got some bunk beds from an albergue in Astorga which he will bring there. Also an albergue opening in Vegarienza (which would be the next stage after Magdalena). There is a new albergue in Fasgar and an albergue in Iguena. Labaniego has a place to sleep with no shower. Congosto has nothing yet but he is workng on it. Cabañas Raras, the next stage, opens the polideportivo, and then you get to the Camino Francés, and can go either to Villafranca del Bierzo or back to Ponferada as I did.

Other places along the route with albergues are Guardo, Puente
Almuhey, and Cistierna.

When I walked in 2014, the only albergues were in Cistierna and La Robla (and they had nothing to do with the Camino Olvidado -- one is on the Vadiniense, the other on the Salvador), so this is a pretty mind blowing development.

But those of us who saw how the Salvador developed from zero thanks to Ender and his little band of angels will not be surprised.

If you are looking for something along the lines of the Salvador-Primitivo, this could be just the thing.

I will be getting a list of accommodations, stages, bars, etc, and will post it also.

this looks amazing, thanks for the updating, laurie! the number of albergues opening up on the route is astounding. and having an original document of such date...
the oficial name is then camino olvidado, not anymore camino viejo or de la montana?

it looks like I will have to go back! :) (and just when I decided then my next caminho is going to be in portugal, too.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
it looks like I will have to go back! :) (and just when I decided then my next caminho is going to be in portugal, too.)

Hi, caminka, those are my thoughts exactly! In fact, I'm thinking 2019 would be a good year. 2018 will be Almería to Cáceres on the Mozárabe. I do have several routes on the top of my list (Torres, Caminho Portugues Interior, Serrana), but I think I may push the Olvidado to the top.

the oficial name is then camino olvidado, not anymore camino viejo or de la montana?

The León Association and the one near Bilbao have both been using Camino Olvidado.

I will post the accommodation lists when Ender sends them. He was out of town last time we communicated. Buen camino, Laurie

I hope they stick with Camino Olvidado. It's such a romantic name!

The León Association and the one near Bilbao have both been using Camino Olvidado.
I hope they stick with Camino Olvidado. It's such a romantic name!

that is cool, I really like that name too.
it may have started the contest for my top camino as well. :)

perhaps we can delegate the name Viejo Camino to the route from Pamplona to Salvatierra-Aguarin on Ruta del Tunel, which follows a roman road that run through the valley of Araquil.
I did a quick look around the accommodation options and there are albergues in camping Arbizu near Arbizu, in camping Erxarri near Erxarri-Aranatz, and albergue juvenil in Altsasua. this leaves the first day without a budget option, but perhaps the pilgrim friendly casa rural in Hiriberi where I stayed is still operational. lots of hostales, casas rurales and apartamentos.
plus, there are (at least) two ermitas de santiago, and monasterio de zamartze with attested hospital, roman road, and graves with scallops. (and a possible option for sleeping, as I did.)

I was going to ask about the Camino Olvidado and have just discovered this thread! Is this camino very difficult to walk? Accommodation - albergues or other - at reasonable distances (whatever "reasonable" may be)?

I was going to ask about the Camino Olvidado and have just discovered this thread! Is this camino very difficult to walk? Accommodation - albergues or other - at reasonable distances (whatever "reasonable" may be)?

Hi, pelerine,
I walked this route in 2014. There is a link to my blog below this post. I also posted information about my stages. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...dado-viejo-camino-camino-de-la-montaña.28456/

This was the first camino I ever used a GPS for, and there were several occasions when I really needed it. I think the marking has improved substantially since I went, though, so it may not be so necessary now. As this thread indicates, there are lots more albergues now, and you can compare my stages with the albergues to see how you could walk it with fewer pensiones than I had to use.

I still haven't gotten the documents Ender promised to send me, so I will nudge him and post when I can. It is a very beautiful camino, and with these two new mountain stages (in terrain that is very close to the prettiest part of the Salvador), I am hankering to go back! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi peregrina2000!
Thank you very much for your reply. I will have a look at your blog a little later (have just noticed your blogs given under your post - seems quite a lot to look at!) It is not really urgent right now, because next year's walk is planned; but it has moved to the top of the list of the walks I would like to do in the future. There is always the worry about whether one is physically up to it. I walked the San Salvador last year and Torres this year with the solution of occasionally halving a stage which was too much by taking a taxi back to where I had come from. This then took me back to the pick-up point the following day. Organizing a taxi in the middle of nowhere is of course another matter....

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
For those of you who use GPS tracks on solitary caminos, Ender has posted tracks for the entire Camino Olvidado. Go to wikilocs and look for the user "enderjace." The search box automatically brings up a search for trails, but if you click on user above it, you can search for users.

I will post the documents he sent me when I am back at my computer next week, but for now I can only encourage you to take a look at this camino because it is really a special one.

Viejo Camino,Camino de la Montaña,Camino Olvidado

Apologies if I’ve missed the answer to this query, but could someone clarify the key similarities/differences between these three camino trails, eg., where does each start finish, are there stretches common to more than one of them, what are the major towns to look for on the map, etc.
Also, it would be good to know if there are any stretches that would be of particular concern to a pilgrim with a fear of ridge walks, sheer drops, or similar. ( n.b. walking in the mountains per se -including the primitivo and salvador - is not an issue).
My reason for asking is that I am interested in walking through the Picos de Europa to Santiago next Spring + would benefit from a bit of help to be clear about the route(s) to research in detail, and to extract best value from the contributions already provided. Muchas gracias!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Viejo Camino,Camino de la Montaña,Camino Olvidado

Apologies if I’ve missed the answer to this query, but could someone clarify the key similarities/differences between these three camino trails, eg., where does each start finish, are there stretches common to more than one of them, what are the major towns to look for on the map, etc.
Also, it would be good to know if there are any stretches that would be of particular concern to a pilgrim with a fear of ridge walks, sheer drops, or similar. ( n.b. walking in the mountains per se -including the primitivo and salvador - is not an issue).
My reason for asking is that I am interested in walking through the Picos de Europa to Santiago next Spring + would benefit from a bit of help to be clear about the route(s) to research in detail, and to extract best value from the contributions already provided. Muchas gracias!
Hi,

I think Olvidado is the term most commonly used to describe the camino from Bilbao through Aguilar de Campoo and Cervera de Pisuerga until merging with the Camino Francés at either Columbrianos or further west in Molinaseca.

I think that Caminka's idea about Viejo Camino is a good one:
perhaps we can delegate the name Viejo Camino to the route from Pamplona to Salvatierra-Aguarin on Ruta del Tunel, which follows a roman road that run through the valley of Araquil.

But I don't know who gets to designate the names. I do think Olvidado is more frequently used for the route Ender and co. are working on. My blog (linked below this post) and my thread on this subforum describe my walk on what everyone seems to be calling the Camino Olvidado.

There are two new mountain stages that I haven't done, but the route I did walk had mountain stages but nothing that I would say is more steep than the Salvador.

Brillant! Thank you so much!

Hi, Pelerine,
Here are the most up to date documents for the Camino Olvidado (at least, that I know of). Hope they are helpful. Another big thanks to Ender, and I would love to hear if any forum members decide to walk this route. Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• Camino Olvidado Ender Services.pdf
    87 KB · Views: 100
  • Camino Olvidado Etapas Ender.pdf
    495.3 KB · Views: 81
  • CAMINO OLVIDADO provincia de León.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you, Peregrina! Do these tracks follow the new routing?
I am thinking of walking this camino in 2019....

Hi, pelerine,
By "these tracks" do you mean the ones that I posted a link to in the first post of this thread? Those are Ender's tracks, and they look pretty much like what he has described.

But based on a quick comparison with my Olvidado GPS tracks (which you can find on wikiloc if you look for the user peregrina2000), there is one other major difference in addition to the new mountain alternative.

Specifically between Guardo and Puente Almuhey, there is a BIG loop that also has a steep ascent. Must be another beautiful mountain alternative. I just walked straight alongside the highway between those two towns and it was grim. But I'm not sure how it affects the staging, because I walked Guardo to Velilla Sanctuary, and that would be quite a long haul with that diversion.

One other thing -- in my very limited experience of using GPS tracks, I have found that it is a much better idea to download tracks whose distances are shorter. This one is the whole Camino Olvidado from Bilbao to Villafranca, about 545 kms. My GPS is limited to 500 "points" on any track. When I download a 30 km stage, wikiloc usually has to reduce the number of "points" to 500. This tells me that if I were to download a 545 km track and only have 500 points, I would have one point per km, which would make things very unclear. I don't know if this makes any sense, but it has to do with how much detail the GPS can handle.

I think I might be headed back that way in 2019 as well, so we may well coincide! Buen camino, Laurie

Edited to add this p.s. Susanna and I wrote up a "guide" of sorts in 2014. You can download it here in the Resources section: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-olvidado.47/

Last edited:
Thank you, Peregrina! I have included this latest post in my planning notes on the Ovidado. And who knows, maybe we meet in 2019...

Hi, Pelerine,
Here are the most up to date documents for the Camino Olvidado (at least, that I know of). Hope they are helpful. Another big thanks to Ender, and I would love to hear if any forum members decide to walk this route. Buen camino, Laurie

thanks, laurie!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
About the stretch between Guardo and Puente Almuhey. I asked Ender about the big loop that some of the GPS tracks show. When I walked the arrows just took me for 13 km alongside the road, and it was NOT fun.

But he says that the route, though it is the historic camino, is not recommended. Tough ascent, no towns, not as pretty as the other newly marked mountain stages. Ender's advice is usually spot on.

He also says that they have gotten some snow and are hoping for huge amounts this winter because the drought in the whole Salvador/Olvidado area in León is very serious.

This looks like it may be the first part of my next camino. Followed by the Invierno from Ponferada, it fulfills my three preferred conditions: 1. It is a long walk; 2. It ends in Santiago; and 3. I have not already walked it. In addition, for an Albertagirl, it contains mountainous sections, and for an older pilgrim, distances between accommodations seem close enough to walk in one day. There is lots of research still to do, but then, I don't know when I shall be able to walk again. Thank you, @peregrina2000 , for this useful information. I shall be keeping an eye out for more on this route.

This looks like it may be the first part of my next camino. Followed by the Invierno from Ponferada, it fulfills my three preferred conditions: 1. It is a long walk; 2. It ends in Santiago; and 3. I have not already walked it. In addition, for an Albertagirl, it contains mountainous sections, and for an older pilgrim, distances between accommodations seem close enough to walk in one day. There is lots of research still to do, but then, I don't know when I shall be able to walk again. Thank you, @peregrina2000 , for this useful information. I shall be keeping an eye out for more on this route.

you may want to check this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/guide-to-olvidado.52042/

Anybody in the area can try out the new mountain route from Guardo to Puente Almuhey and on from Cistierna over the next three Sundays.

FB_IMG_1527142875429.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The pictures of the Leon Olvidado Association's most recent walk shows pictures from Valdepielago to Vegacervera. From there the group will walk to Pola de Gordon and then on to La Magdalena. Absolutely beautiful mountain walking.

https://www.facebook.com/Asociación-Leonesa-del-Camino-Olvidado-638038153073918/?hc_ref=ART3rItmE6I5QZ9Mfp7tfASg8vCUTtrMNMYG0OI7oIDQf0tdum1bkBrjWtvboQYt71c

I had heard from Ender that he had re-marked and re-routed big chunks of the Olvidado. This is a major re-routing, so anyone considering this route and all its gorgeous mountain walking, need to find updated information on where the camino takes you. When I walked we went Cistierna - Bonar - La Robla, and the new route looks to be totally different.

The stages shown here are what I walked: http://www.elcaminoolvidado.com/

Anyone out there with good information?

I would also say that these pictures absolutely make me want to go back and try the new route. With the other mountain stretch after Fasgar, this route may top the Salvador for its beautiful mountain scenery.

and p.s. here are Ender's tracks. https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=15178871

In mid April 2019 I'm walking the Olivdado to La Robla and then busing/train to Oviedo to do the Primitivo to Santiago. I have a guide for The Primitivo are there any for Olivdado?

In mid April 2019 I'm walking the Olivdado to La Robla and then busing/train to Oviedo to do the Primitivo to Santiago. I have a guide for The Primitivo are there any for Olivdado?
Susanna and I did a guide-type document but it was a few years ago. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-olvidado-from-bilbao-to-ponferrada.254/

Check out all of @caminka's and @Sheffield James´ great info in this sub-forum.

When you get to La Robla, no need to take a train! You can just take a few more days and walk the beautiful Camino del Salvador into Oviedo. There's a great Salvador guide in Resources, and it is a beautiful walk. La Robla is a typical day 1 walk from León on the Salavador. Lots of forum members have walked the Salvador/Primitivo combination, and it's a great one. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is the video of one of the newly re-routed stages. Looks like a 5***** walk except for the last few kms at the end. Buiza to La Magdalena, hoping to be walking there soon.
5 star, yes indeed. I think it might have been the best day I ever spent on the Camino, or possibly a tie with the Caracena canyon on the Lana. In the video the slightly stern grandeur of the Pico de Santiago was obscured by clouds at what is arguably, other than the Puerto de la Fuenfría on the Madrid route, the highest point on any Camino in Spain at 1670m up.

And after that walking through the Desfiladero de los Calderones was jaw-droppingly spectacular.

DSC_0241.JPG
DSC_0283-1.JPG

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Laurie for all the info!
Not for 2020, but possibly incorporating this into a bigger project (starting in Eastern Europe) for later years, can the Olvidado be broken up in shorter stages, such as the ones we did last year (average 16km per day)?

Thank you Laurie for all the info!
Not for 2020, but possibly incorporating this into a bigger project (starting in Eastern Europe) for later years, can the Olvidado be broken up in shorter stages, such as the ones we did last year (average 16km per day)?
Hi Guys, have a look in the Camino Olvidado Forum, subsection "Advice sought on Olvidado" Post number 6.Cheers, Mick.

Hi Guys, have a look in the Camino Olvidado Forum, subsection "Advice sought on Olvidado" Post number 6.Cheers, Mick.

Thanks Mick!
I have downloaded your guide and will study it in detail, along with the many posts.
Cheers, Andrew

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Pelerine,
Hoa Peregrina, my wife and I plan to walk the Olvidado and then Invierno in May 2020, hopefully it wouldn't be too cold then! Thanks for your updates, blogs etc that help us so much in planning!
And I am really grateful to Ender for all his work! I thoroughly enjoyed the San Salvador five years ago and very impressed with all his markings etc.!
I am keeping track of this thread for any new info, updates etc.
Muchas Gracias and Buen Camino!

I cannot consider the Olvidado until 2021. Such big question marks in my life that I will only start detailed planning at the end of next year. And then trusting to have Laurie’s help.

Meanwhile I wish you all the best on your camino and maybe, occasionally at least, you can let us know how you are doing?!

Buen camino!
Ina

If you haven’t seen the app, take a look. Free to download. It’s just called Camino Olvidado. And btw, if you have an older version, make sure to get the most recent version before you walk. There are some changes that have recently been made, and I expect it will be a continually ongoing process.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's an excellent app. Very useful. According to the app for the new route, you'll looking at 22 days if you don't go crazy, maybe 18 or 19 if you don't hang around. plus a day or two for rest days. Does that sound about right to you? I'm just trying to work out if it's worth getting a return flight, and if so, for when. Will set off probably 29th or 30th April at the latest.

It's an excellent app. Very useful. According to the app for the new route, you'll looking at 22 days if you don't go crazy, maybe 18 or 19 if you don't hang around. plus a day or two for rest days. Does that sound about right to you? I'm just trying to work out if it's worth getting a return flight, and if so, for when. Will set off probably 29th or 30th April at the latest.
Hi, @Undermanager,
On my first Olvidado, I took 18 days to walk from Bilbao to Ponferrada (if you want to go to the "real end" of the Olvidado, you would continue from Congosto to Cacabelos and into Villafranca del Bierzo, which would add a day or two -- that ending point has the nice touch of leaving you at the place where injured pilgrims could get their plenary indulgence if they were incapable of going on to Santiago). But in 2014, the new mountain alternatives described in this thread were not marked. They are absolutely the jewels in the Olvidado crown, along with the walk from Fasgar to Iguena. So that would add a couple of days, maybe two or three. The new route through Vegacervera will inevitably add a day, and the long route from Guardo to Puente Almuey can be cut into two with some creative staging. But try not to miss the walk through Caminayo, it is really nice.

So I think 22 days would be comfortable for you, especially since I know you enjoy longer stages anyway.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks. That's sort of what I was guessing. Thanks for bouncing thinking off you :)

Thinking out loud here - I'm not sure if I'll be able to carry on past the Olvidado - it all depends on the elderly parents! But I was half thinking of booking a flight back from Madrid now as they are only £15 if I book now, perhaps for the 22nd of May, and if I don't use it, no problem. That would give me 23 days of walking if I start on the 29th April and an early bus or train to Madrid for the mid afternoon flight, nearly the same amount of walking as last year on the Lana. I'd really like to carry on to Muxia this year, but might have to pop back to the UK to do my duty for a few days. Mmmmmm. Choices choices.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks. That's sort of what I was guessing. Thanks for bouncing thinking off you :)

Thinking out loud here - I'm not sure if I'll be able to carry on past the Olvidado - it all depends on the elderly parents! But I was half thinking of booking a flight back from Madrid now as they are only £15 if I book now, perhaps for the 22nd of May, and if I don't use it, no problem. That would give me 23 days of walking if I start on the 29th April and an early bus or train to Madrid for the mid afternoon flight, nearly the same amount of walking as last year on the Lana. I'd really like to carry on to Muxia this year, but might have to pop back to the UK to do my duty for a few days. Mmmmmm. Choices choices.

For me to "pop over" costs upwards of $1500, so I am envious. Looks like we are trading places this year. I hope to start the Lana on May 15 and make it to Burgos. I had planned for more days than you took, but I am going to take a look at your stages, because I think my comfort range is just a little short of yours. I will be starting in Villajoyosa rather than Alicante, though, and I think that might add a day or two.

LOL. Yes we're very lucky in the UK to be able to pop over to many places around Europe and especially Spain. I just got back from three and a half weeks in Romania, Poland, Morocco and Gibraltar last week and it was £10 to fly there and less than £20 to fly back to the UK!! (ballet in Warsaw at the end of February again at the opera house, anyone?)

Even booking at the last minute is still pretty cheap.

How marvellous you're doing the Lana. I hope you'll post a blog! Some of the stages were long not by choice, though! My hopeless organisational skills and lack of Spanish don't help much, but that's okay. I've learnt to go with the flow and not be fussy over the years :) . I'm sure you'll find a way to chop a few of the longer sections up into more sensible chunks. Sad Hill Cemetery might be fun to put on the list if you're a Clint Eastwood Fan. That's the only place I wish I'd not missed.

I have to be a bit careful this year (again). My knees take a while to warm up, even more so than last year. Like last year, though, I'll try to be really good and take it easy for at least the first week, and hopefully longer. This body is not what it was :-( I really need to slow down this year .....

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back