• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nicknaming the People You Walk With

It’s perfectly natural in many parts of the world to ask ‘how old are you’, are you single, why do you travel alone, why do you not have a wife, etc… (and maybe a need to make allowances for those cultures) but I am guessing that these ‘askers’ are not from those parts of the world so yes rude and no need to reply!
Certainly personal questions are not necessarily rude. But context is everything. Asking the questions in the context of a conversation is one thing. Dispensing with a greeting and approaching someone out of the blue with "How old are you?" is something else.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This forum generates some fine conversations and this is one of them. I've lived in other people's countries all my life and cultural differences fascinate me.
For instance, to overcharge someone in a bar in my country is a very serious insult, and no tourist will ever be charged more than a local, except by a shameless renegade huxter. I've never heard of it.
To reprimand a stranger in my culture is taboo. There are protocols for calling strangers to account for their misdeeds but they are elaborate in their courtesy.
My people have a reputation for being friendly. They're not, they're just as prone to irritation and rudeness as any other human on the planet, anywhere. It's just that our culture absolutely prohibits us from showing this, and we obey it. We call it "plamas", a word which has no analogue in other languages in the same way as "schadenfruede" (incidentally, also totally taboo in my culture) in German cannot be perfectly translated into a non-Germanic language.
Spain is like anywhere else; regions, even parishes have differences in social culture. Individuals are different also, everywhere; they tend to follow the rules and taboos laid down by their culture, at least outwardly. You never know what they're thinking. Protocols of courtesy and hospitality differ and their purpose is to regulate the interaction between strangers and above all avoid the conflict which could easily occur otherwise. There's also a spiritual dimension, rooted in the religious faith of the culture, or its absence.
The locals on the Camino are gentle and patient and hospitable towards us and so are the pilgrims towards each other (magically, even if they come from direct, even abrasive social cultures).

That's one of the reasons why I love the Camino. If someone is rude to me I know it right well but I ignore it and control my reaction if I can; not always. I'm working on it.
If I'm unintentionally rude to someone else I hold myself to account afterwards. I hope that the person I've been rude to will also follow the rule of my own people: never take offense unless offence is intended. We have to look out for each other, in both senses of the phrase and on the Camino 99.9% of us do. It's not like the real world.

My kid and I had a good time giving nicknames to the people we walked with but did not really talk to, the ones you pass and then they pass you and then the next day you see each other again. Here are a few of our favorites:

Mr. Fancypants, who wore very bright cotton drawstring pants that he probably picked up from a street stall in Thailand

The Dog Walkers, a middle age couple walking with two beautiful dogs, heeled perfectly to their sides

The Breakup Couple, because she so did not want to be walking the Camino and he so didn’t care that she didn’t; I would bet their relationship did not last past their Camino

The Facetimers, a father and teen daughter, one of whom was always loudly FaceTiming someone while they were walking

The Foursome, one man and three women all of very different ages and physical shape; we could not figure out a connection between them at all

How about you all? Have you nicknamed people on the Way?
My favourite was “Dave the Social Butterfly”. He looked very much like Dave, one of my dear friends back home who was by no means talkative. Anyway, whenever I met DSB (who only spoke Italian) he was overstaying his visits with annoyed pilgrims on the Camino. It was amusing to see folks trying to politely end these encounters 😜!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This forum generates some fine conversations and this is one of them. I've lived in other people's countries all my life and cultural differences fascinate me.
For instance, to overcharge someone in a bar in my country is a very serious insult, and no tourist will ever be charged more than a local, except by a shameless renegade huxter. I've never heard of it.
To reprimand a stranger in my culture is taboo. There are protocols for calling strangers to account for their misdeeds but they are elaborate in their courtesy.
My people have a reputation for being friendly. They're not, they're just as prone to irritation and rudeness as any other human on the planet, anywhere. It's just that our culture absolutely prohibits us from showing this, and we obey it. We call it "plamas", a word which has no analogue in other languages in the same way as "schadenfruede" (incidentally, also totally taboo in my culture) in German cannot be perfectly translated into a non-Germanic language.
Spain is like anywhere else; regions, even parishes have differences in social culture. Individuals are different also, everywhere; they tend to follow the rules and taboos laid down by their culture, at least outwardly. You never know what they're thinking. Protocols of courtesy and hospitality differ and their purpose is to regulate the interaction between strangers and above all avoid the conflict which could easily occur otherwise. There's also a spiritual dimension, rooted in the religious faith of the culture, or its absence.
The locals on the Camino are gentle and patient and hospitable towards us and so are the pilgrims towards each other (magically, even if they come from direct, even abrasive social cultures).

That's one of the reasons why I love the Camino. If someone is rude to me I know it right well but I ignore it and control my reaction if I can; not always. I'm working on it.
If I'm unintentionally rude to someone else I hold myself to account afterwards. I hope that the person I've been rude to will also follow the rule of my own people: never take offense unless offence is intended. We have to look out for each other, in both senses of the phrase and on the Camino 99.9% of us do. It's not like the real world.
I am so pleased to read this post. Another post in another thread just took my breath away with the apparent total judgment, and yours has helped me to breathe again. Some forum members are skilled at working out that stuff that is about reasoning. Not me, but I have learned enough to know that what I expect is what I will get. Usually. Or often. I cannot dare to generalise and tar everyone with one brush, when most likely it is my problem on the day, in the moment.
Going to the topic of the thread, Canadian Mochilon was the first, and for the moment the only person I recall that we found a name for. His rucksack was ginormous. By Pamplona he had found a post office and sent on 10kg! More than I was carrying!
Ps, I am not plámásing you in my first sentence!

Last edited:
I walked with a man from Romania who was so kind and nice to fellow pilgrims I emailed my wife that I thought I was walking with Jesus. No disrespect intended. Later on I walked for a few hours with a man who was kind of dressed like and really looked like Santiago himself. Big gruffy beard, booming Spanish voice. Turned out he was a retired U.S. Air Force General. Buen Camino
Has to be Dave! He was an exceptional officer, and is a good human. I worked for him for a time, and am honored that he served as my mentor during a challenging professional time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In 2012, while having our lunch a woman came up to my friend and I and said "wow, you're the two yoga women with the pink umbrella." She had heard of us, but hadn't seen us yet. We got a good chuckle out of our "name" as every day we would lie down by the trail, put up the umbrella and rest. We were having a nap, but would tell other pilgrims that we were doing yoga! After all, the corpse pose is part of yoga.

Yes - but not with names I'd be prepared to repeat on a public forum...
Same here. Usually the nicknames were kept in my head as a thought and usually just for the more obnoxious ones, particularly those playing loud music oblivious to other pilgrims. Have they not heard of ear buds?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
California. The John Muir Trail. Looks a bit more ambitious than the similarly named John Muir Way in Scotland. :cool:

The JMT happens to be my son's favorite long distance trail in the US. He returned so excited several years ago and tried to convince mom to join him and go a second time, but I knew my limits and the hardships. Those incredibly beautiful views did not sway me...in addition to my bear phobia.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I love this thread. When we lived in Russia, where there are about 7 to 10 extremely popular names, my Russian friends had nicknames for those who shared a name in common. Alexander became Sasha, and we had Sasha Artiste, Sasha Plokho ('badly, poorly' - his ever-faithful response to the query 'How are you?'), Sasha Pianiste, Sasha Advocat (he was a law student).

I was thinking about it this morning as I swam laps. A friend of mine, Chet, capped 2013 by swimming 1,000 miles over the year. This is the 3rd or 4th time he has done so. I dubbed him 'Mil Millas' - A thousand miles. I mentioned it to our buddy Doug, who laughed. As Chet finished his swim, I told him and asked what he thought. He accepted it with a big smile.

When living in Spain during Franco's reign, among the American students we would discuss then-current Spanish politics by referring to how Mr. Smith was running his classroom.

Looking forward to this autumn when we shall have the opportunity to meet fellow peregrinos on the trail, and provide an occasional apodo ('nickname' in Spanish). Wonder if others will dub us with something new?

What is the JMT Trail, and where is it?
Other people have shared information. It is magical and so amazingly beautiful. But different than the Camino. Not quite the long haul of the triple crown but sort of hard core. It basically covers the most rigorous part of the PCT... or so I'm told... will find out!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What is the JMT Trail, and where is it?
The JMT is the 211 Mile/340 KM John Muir Trail in the State of California (USA). It is one of the most popular, if not the most popular, wilderness trails in the US. Its highest point is 14,505'/4,421m. This trail is not up/down over rolling hills but up/down over mountain peaks.
Because of its popularity and subsequent damage to the environment, backpackers need a permit to hike it. The permits are limited each year. They are (or were) given out by lottery and about 90% of requested permits are denied.
This is a true wilderness trail. You must carry all your food, water, shelter, etc. There are various ways to re-supply.
Because of the danger of bear attacks in the southern half of the trail, hikers are now required to carry a bear canister to store all food. (Bears are always looking for free food). This adds to the weight and need for a larger backpack.

Google: John Muir Trail

The JMT is the 211 Mile/340 KM John Muir Trail in the State of California (USA). It is one of the most popular, if not the most popular, wilderness trails in the US. Its highest point is 14,505'/4,421m. This trail is not up/down over rolling hills but up/down over mountain peaks.
Because of its popularity and subsequent damage to the environment, backpackers need a permit to hike it. The permits are limited each year. They are (or were) given out by lottery and about 90% of requested permits are denied.
This is a true wilderness trail. You must carry all your food, water, shelter, etc. There are various ways to re-supply.
Because of the danger of bear attacks in the southern half of the trail, hikers are now required to carry a bear canister to store all food. (Bears are always looking for free food). This adds to the weight and need for a larger backpack.

Google: John Muir Trail
Well done.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In the Piedmont way, I discovered I was "the Turtle", because I was always the last to arrive. It came after I quoted the fable ot the tortoise and the hare, to argue that in the long run, doggedness wins over speed.
It was affectionate -actually I was the only one who walked alone in a quite lonely path, and the others kind of "adopted" me.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Damien, you saw three bears too many for me. Bear canisters are required by each person hiking on the JMT...that should tell people something.🙄
In the mountains where I spend my weekends, our bears are pretty tame as long as you don’t disturb them when they are rummaging through trash bins. This big guy, in particular, is a neighborhood favorite (but most of us are still not stupid enough to get too close):

Certainly personal questions are not necessarily rude. But context is everything. Asking the questions in the context of a conversation is one thing. Dispensing with a greeting and approaching someone out of the blue with "How old are you?" is something else.
As I said it varies hugely by country. And context is definately not everything in many parts of the world! When I lived in India I would get asked how old I was as if someone was asking me the time. Complete strangers would ask me why I am alone or not married. I am in SE Asia at moment and get asked all the time. I know to expect it, as I know it’s very common here. Whether they ask it just to Westerners or people from the region I don’t know but I suspect the former. Women get asked too, in fact more so as some people are suprised to see women travelling alone. Young women because they are young and older women because people are curious as to where her husband is. On the other hand some are asking me for commercial reasons, in the sense that a single man alone will be offered the option to not be alone!

As always with these sort of posts I am being very generalist.

Last edited:
In the mountains where I spend my weekends, our bears are pretty tame as long as you don’t disturb them when they are rummaging through trash bins. This big guy, in particular, is a neighborhood favorite (but most of us are still not stupid enough to get too close):

Ok, no way on the JMT, well one near VVR was pretty chill... but the more wild ones, well, they tend to freak out when seeing a human, at least in my experience. They run and hide.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many people don't want to be intrusive, so hesitate to ask anything but superficial questions.
I am a introverted person but I have occasionally had very profound and intimate conversations on my Camino journeys. It takes a high degree of trust to reach that stage though and that is rarely achieved in minutes. Someone whose initial contact with me is aggressively over-familiar and crosses my personal comfort limits is unlikely to speak with me again at any length. If I find them especially "in my face" then I will quite literally take steps - possibly several thousand of them - to avoid encountering them again.

€149,-
You know what's a little weird? Expecting pilgrims on the Camino to call you by your trail name from the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Crest Trail. Those names are generally specific to those trails and are bestowed upon people by their fellow hikers. You can't choose your own trail name. I met one guy this year who told me that "people call him xyz" ( I'm not going to say the real trail name here). When he told me that he was from Pennsylvania I asked him if that was his Appalachian Trail name, and he said yes. I later met some other pilgrims who thought that it was a little off-putting to be using a trail name from the US when you are on the Camino.

I also walked for several days with a young woman who had hiked most of the Appalachian Trail, and she didn't ask to be called by her trail name.
There is no law that says you can't choose your own trail name; generally, on the U.S. trails they are given you, but no rule against it. I named myself backpack45 years ago because I was near that age and not seeing many other women -- especially over age 45) on the trails (John Muir/PCT). Why it would be considered "off putting" to use whatever name you want to use on the Camino? I generally use my given name, but much of my social media connections are as backpack45 because I am proud of supporting women of any age on trails of the Camino and elsewhere.

I understand that. My son taught English in South Korea for a couple of years, and he said it was very important to know one's age, as a lot was dependent on age, seniority etc. - how you addressed someone, but especially who was expected to pay the bill at the restaurant!

But, as you said it's probably more nosiness if asked this question on the Camino.
Indeed. That’s sounds like a great opportunity for your son! I hope he is thriving…I am sure he is and has a million stories to tell and advice to pass on. I think S. Korea and Japan are probably the most ‘culturally different’ to how ‘we are’ in the west… it really hammers the diversity of life home. Anyway back to nicknames!

My kid and I had a good time giving nicknames to the people we walked with but did not really talk to, the ones you pass and then they pass you and then the next day you see each other again. Here are a few of our favorites:

Mr. Fancypants, who wore very bright cotton drawstring pants that he probably picked up from a street stall in Thailand

The Dog Walkers, a middle age couple walking with two beautiful dogs, heeled perfectly to their sides

The Breakup Couple, because she so did not want to be walking the Camino and he so didn’t care that she didn’t; I would bet their relationship did not last past their Camino

The Facetimers, a father and teen daughter, one of whom was always loudly FaceTiming someone while they were walking

The Foursome, one man and three women all of very different ages and physical shape; we could not figure out a connection between them at all

How about you all? Have you nicknamed people on the Way?

On our first time walking, my son and I met:
The Mexican Canadian who listened to and broadcast loudly podcasts on canadian government to prepare for his citizenship test. Much as we love Canada, we avoided him and the free information.
The French Italian. (French guy, lived in Italy.)
The German Belgian. (German guy, lived in Belgium.)
The Wine Runner. He had his own winery and was running the camino to get publicity for his wine. He had a van following him with bottles of wine and, I suppose, luggage. He'd had out bottles of wine in the evening. Pretty good wine too. :) Sadly, he hurt his knee and we got ahead of him.
The Biker with cat. Self explanatory.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think probably most of us have used nicknames to refer to people, but I think it’s good to keep in mind the effect it could have on those we nickname. On my very first camino, both my walking partner and I brought skirts to change into at night, thinking that it would be more decorous, as women in our 50s. We later heard from someone that we were referred to as “the madams.” Now that could have a very innocent interpretation, but the thought that people were using a term to describe me that could refer to women of a different profession was really kind of hurtful.

On a Camino Primitivo, there was a father and son pair that was a bit on the margin of our large “camino family.” Some of the people in that group referred to them as Jack and Jones, which was a reference I didn’t understand. In some conversation, I told them about the nickname, and they took great offense. I felt terrible, but the damage was done.

So my heads up would be that it’s a good idea to think about whether you would want the person nicknamed to hear that nickname. If not, maybe it’s a good idea to choose another nickname.

I think probably most of us have used nicknames to refer to people, but I think it’s good to keep in mind the effect it could have on those we nickname. On my very first camino, both my walking partner and I brought skirts to change into at night, thinking that it would be more decorous, as women in our 50s. We later heard from someone that we were referred to as “the madams.” Now that could have a very innocent interpretation, but the thought that people were using a term to describe me that could refer to women of a different profession was really kind of hurtful.

On a Camino Primitivo, there was a father and son pair that was a bit on the margin of our large “camino family.” Some of the people in that group referred to them as Jack and Jones, which was a reference I didn’t understand. In some conversation, I told them about the nickname, and they took great offense. I felt terrible, but the damage was done.

So my heads up would be that it’s a good idea to think about whether you would want the person nicknamed to hear that nickname. If not, maybe it’s a good idea to choose another nickname.
Yes it’s a good point. Even your use of madams if I understand you correctly! !! A madam in the UK from where I live a female who is full of herself, ‘precious’, ‘bit of a princess’ loves herself, thinks she is above people, etc.It has no connection with ‘Madame’ which has connotations to a sexual profession. So they may have been referring to you as ‘stuck up’ as opposed to running a brothel if that’s any consolation! It was probably done softly’ and lightheartedly as were being seen as ladies who like to ‘dress up’ in the evening and who cared about their appearance.

Last edited:

€149,-
Yes it’s a good point. Even your use of madams if I understand you correctly! !! A madam in the UK from where I live a female who is full of herself, loves herself, thinks she is above people, etc. It has no connection with ‘Madame’ which has connotations to a sexual profession. So they may have been referring to you as ‘stuck up’ as opposed to running a brothel if that’s any consolation!
Well, I’m afraid that’s no consolation!

Well, I’m afraid that’s no consolation!
Indeed… anyway don’t fret. Many fathers refer to their daughters here as ‘proper little madams’, I know I did with my eldest! In fact it was a famous ‘strap line’ for a UK advert back in 70s! Something along the lines of a little cute girl saying ‘when I grow up my dad says I am going to be a proper little madam’!

Last edited:
Or perhaps even to take the time and effort to get to know their actual name.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Attempting to admonish a bear for being greedy, teasing and provoking the animal, well done that clever guy.. he's lucky he didn't get properly mauled.

I hope they gave  him an appropriate nickname: The Moron, The Damn Fool, The F***ing Idiot etc..🙄

Attempting to admonish a bear for being greedy, teasing and provoking the animal, well done that clever guy.. he's lucky he didn't get properly mauled.

I hope they gave  him an appropriate nickname: The Moron, The Damn Fool, The F***ing Idiot etc..🙄
Oh, many have let him know how stupid (and lucky) he was, including the state.

The law would have required that bear to be killed, btw, because he attacked a human. But the state decided to grant the bear clemency give the circumstances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Oh, wait now.. I looked again, it seems he was just trying to escort the bear to his table. Perhaps 'The Dumb Waiter' would be a more suitable nickname😄

California. The John Muir Trail. Looks a bit more ambitious than the similarly named John Muir Way in Scotland. :cool:

There is yet another trail named after John Muir. Information about it is also on Wikipedia. Peg and I hiked a portion a few years ago. Here's my edited version of Wikipedia's introduction:

The John Muir National Recreation Trail is a 20.7 mile (33.3 km) trail in eastern Tennessee, along the north side of Hiwassee River in the Cherokee National Forest. The trail is said to follow the path taken during Muir's travels from Kentucky to Florida.

Could you summarise? I do not open most media apps.
It is a clip from a much longer talk by David Brooks that is on YouTube. I will send you a link to the clip via direct message. It is worth listening to the rest of David's talk, I think.

David describes the advantages to both ourselves and the society that we live in when we are curious about other people and we treat them as individuals rather than categorising them and/or giving them labels.

However, my paraphrasing doesn't do his words justice. His words are much more useful. For example, within his discussion about labelling vs curiosity and listening he labels people. I think that this is deliberate and designed to help people understand what he is talking about.

He also acknowledges that the largest majority of people (70% according to some studies) are not particularly curious about others.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There was an older woman (mid-60s) on the Primitivo in mid to late September that we all knew as "the French lady." So named because she held one- sided conversations with all of us, exclusively in French, regardless of whatever language we addressed her in. Rumor was that she was actually Swiss...
Yes....! We repeatedly crossed paths with her too. Same nickname and same bafflement as she waffled on in French to us. Our Quebecois friend tried to avoid conversation with her as it could get a little strange.

David describes the advantages to both ourselves and the society that we live in when we are curious about other people and we treat them as individuals rather than categorising them and/or giving them labels.

However, my paraphrasing doesn't do his words justice. His words are much more useful. For example, within his discussion about labelling vs curiosity and listening he labels people. I think that this is deliberate and designed to help people understand what he is talking about.
There are labels and there are labels.

There are labels that we give to others (like nicknames, and others that we give to people to categorize them). And there are labels that people give to themselves to "categorize themselves", adopt or recognize an identity (like "pilgrim"). While the former can be hurtful, limiting and negative, the latter can be empowering, helpful, and positive. Part of being curious and empathic is listening to the labels people apply to themselves and respecting them.

You know what's a little weird? Expecting pilgrims on the Camino to call you by your trail name from the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Crest Trail. Those names are generally specific to those trails and are bestowed upon people by their fellow hikers. You can't choose your own trail name. I met one guy this year who told me that "people call him xyz" ( I'm not going to say the real trail name here). When he told me that he was from Pennsylvania I asked him if that was his Appalachian Trail name, and he said yes. I later met some other pilgrims who thought that it was a little off-putting to be using a trail name from the US when you are on the Camino.

I also walked for several days with a young woman who had hiked most of the Appalachian Trail, and she didn't ask to be called by her trail name.

While I respect what you are saying, I do have to respectfully disagree for the most part. I have well over 50K miles on the major long distance trails in the US & New Zealand and the vast majority of folks using trail names do so with quite a bit of pride. I fully understand the Camino is not a wilderness trail or even remotely similar to walking any other long distance trail, but it is still considered a trail. Rather well groomed and an excessive amount of road walking, but still a trail. With that basic understanding, a trail name or nickname seems much less "weird" or "off-putting" since the Camino is a trail and trail names are certainly not restricted to long distance trails in the US.

If you were on the Frances last year in March and met an off-putting guy carrying an ultralight backpack introduce himself as 1-8T (pronounced one-eighty), then you likely were weirded out by me. My apologies for causing such disturbance :cool:😋 I introduce myself by my trail name on every long trail, pretty much the same as every other person fortunate enough to be able to walk a various long trails more than once - except the Camino evidently. My trail name is my identity when I am hiking/backpacking. It (1-8T) was bestowed upon me by my son (Data) after about a week or two (200 miles or so) into our first long hike together. We were walking down the trail (AT) in a thick evergreen forest in Grayson Highlands just chatting away about all the stuff dads wish they could talk to their 12 year old kids about without any drama. He stopped and turned to me (he always led) and said, "you know dad, this is awesome. You seem so relaxed out here and are 180 degrees different than when you are at home and stressed out from work and traveling. I feel like we can talk about everything." At that moment, I learned that hiking with my son would be the most important thing I would do with my life as a parent. That night we were building a fire ring and he said he wanted to call me 1-8T. We woke up the next morning, hiked for a few hours, ran into Lone Wolf on the trail outside of Damascus and my son introduced me as 1-8T. I have been called that for the next 35K miles or so.

My original trail name was Data, because I had a habit of remembering all of the info from the early trail guides and distances to landmarks, water sources, and road crossings (if any) before I set out each day. That way I never had to break out AWOL's or anything similar to find out how far to water or something. I just knew and everyone began to realize that I always knew the info and they started calling me "Data".
My son inherited the name from other hikers when they learned he did the exact same thing once he started spending weeks in the woods as well.

As a last note on reasoning for the introduction by my trail name...
I was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2018. After almost 3 decades of long distance trails, I was suddenly now forbidden to go on long hikes again from family and doctors because I had been falling a lot and had several serious head injuries and finally a big fall, resulting in a TBI & permanent damage. My trail life had come to an end right when I was getting ready to move to the big mountains of Colorado and have so much in front of me. Finally in 2021, I learned to get my balance a little better and walk without falling backwards (trekking poles or cane) and convinced my family to let me hike the Camino Frances. My justification / reasoning was that it is a rather tame walk in comparison to everything else I have completed and I will be around lots of other people quite often. Add in that I can sleep in a bed every night, I am not carrying seven days of food and a tent on my back, and I am rarely (if ever) more than 10 kilometers from a village, then it is likely the safest long trail in the world. All that and I casually said I won't be the person that sits around scared to live.

So I remain 1-8T, even on the Camino, because it is the only long trail I am allowed to hike...

The JMT happens to be my son's favorite long distance trail in the US. He returned so excited several years ago and tried to convince mom to join him and go a second time, but I knew my limits and the hardships. Those incredibly beautiful views did not sway me...in addition to my bear phobia
Definitely give the JMT a go, even if for only a few days. Easily the most beautiful trail I have completed. I linked up the JMT with my PCT hike at Whitney Portal and then hitched back to the Portal after reaching Happy Isles so not to skip any PCT miles that do not overlap. An extra 180 miles or so, but covering those overlapping miles on the JMT again were quite worth it.
Plus, they are just black bears. 😋 Just bear vault your food or use an Ursack and tie it securely to a tree away from camp. A couple of long mileage days and you will be too tired to worry about bears anyway. 😁 ~ Said from the comfort of my desk chair ~

Other people have shared information. It is magical and so amazingly beautiful. But different than the Camino. Not quite the long haul of the triple crown but sort of hard core. It basically covers the most rigorous part of the PCT... or so I'm told... will find out!

Definitely not the most rigorous, but certainly the most beautiful. Hope you enjoy it when you get there.

There is no law that says you can't choose your own trail name; generally, on the U.S. trails they are given you, but no rule against it. I named myself backpack45 years ago because I was near that age and not seeing many other women -- especially over age 45) on the trails (John Muir/PCT). Why it would be considered "off putting" to use whatever name you want to use on the Camino? I generally use my given name, but much of my social media connections are as backpack45 because I am proud of supporting women of any age on trails of the Camino and elsewhere.

Agreed and love it that you are getting out into the mountains backpacker45. While I rarely provide my given name because I am incredibly private, I seldom notice it being said when people use it in a social setting. Not sure why, it is often simply missed. Probably selective hearing on my part...
Always remember, Hike Your Own Hike

1-8T

While I respect what you are saying, I do have to respectfully disagree for the most part. I have well over 50K miles on the major long distance trails in the US & New Zealand etc...

I understand the concept of a trail name on wilderness through hikes, and that you get known within the hiking community and names stick. But trail names just aren't a thing on pilgrimage paths here in Europe. I don't remember ever being introduced to anyone with one, folks just use their given name. Do you feel it's necessary to define yourself by your trail name? Would it be a big deal for someone to just call you by your name?

Back to nicknames.. yes! I've had lots of nicknames for others, but usually earned for unflattering reasons. There can be some sniggering over wine, but I mostly I keep them to myself so as not to offend..

I fully understand the Camino is not a wilderness trail or even remotely similar to walking any other long distance trail, but it is still considered a trail.
I understand and respect that you consider the Camino that way. I'm sure there are many who come to the Camino after walking other long-distance trails who see it the same way. But I think most of the people who walk the Camino who don't see themselves as hiking a trail but rather walking a pilgrimage route, which is an overlapping but different thing. The cultural expectations of these pilgrims are a bit different from the cultural expectations of the hikers you may be used to walking among. Hence the responses you are seeing here to "trail names".

Personally, I'm unlikely to question any name a fellow pilgrim wants to give me. But I am liable to see them as a fellow pilgrim rather than a fellow hiker.

except the Camino evidently.
Yes, wasn't that evident when you walked? You are free to introduce yourself by any name you choose. You are clearly proud of your chosen name and the reputation/creds/history you associate with it, but to make a big point of it seems to ignore the different Camino culture.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's a pilgrimage.
The member you replied to considers it a trail. I agree with you. An old story: two worthies in an East of Scotland village, always arguing, over scripture. One finally thinks he has beaten the other, saying : aha! St Paul says this! The one who will not be defeated says: Ah yes! That is just where me and Paul differ!
and happy trails, buen caminos. And pax.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For context: I‘m an experienced long distance hiker mainly focusing on challenging trails in Europe and Africa. Trail names aren’t a thing here but some (younger people) might be aware of that concept through US media.

I personally don’t care what name you (anyone) go/goes by but one advice would be to consider the local perspective - not using your given name would be considered seriously peculiar in many cultures of your host country. I’m not talking about Max / Maximilian but rather the more outlandish trail names you sometimes (including here) hear about. While people along the AT might be used to that, the lovely old granny you meet in a shop on the Camino certainly will not.

I also think there’s a stark difference in acceptable nicknames depending on where you are from. Location-based nicknames seem to be perfectly acceptable for US people whereas they are really uncommon for Europeans. Honestly, I’d not be inclined to continue engaging with you if you shout „hey Berlin“ after me.

As for nicknames for people you haven’t engaged with / don’t know their names but are essentially bitching about (read the thread, a lot of them are given to the more obnoxious characteristics one might display) - kindness (even within your own thoughts) goes a long way on a pilgrimage.

On my 1st Camino there was this man nicknamed “the Portugese serial killer”. I won’t go into details, but I can assure you it was only a nickname.

€149,-
I can remember a "snoring lady" and "nice German lady".
And some pilgrims greeted me with "hi Croata!" :)

For context: I‘m an experienced long distance hiker mainly focusing on challenging trails in Europe and Africa. Trail names aren’t a thing here but some (younger people) might be aware of that concept through US media.

I personally don’t care what name you (anyone) go/goes by but one advice would be to consider the local perspective - not using your given name would be considered seriously peculiar in many cultures of your host country. I’m not talking about Max / Maximilian but rather the more outlandish trail names you sometimes (including here) hear about. While people along the AT might be used to that, the lovely old granny you meet in a shop on the Camino certainly will not.

I also think there’s a stark difference in acceptable nicknames depending on where you are from. Location-based nicknames seem to be perfectly acceptable for US people whereas they are really uncommon for Europeans. Honestly, I’d not be inclined to continue engaging with you if you shout „hey Berlin“ after me.

As for nicknames for people you haven’t engaged with / don’t know their names but are essentially bitching about (read the thread, a lot of them are given to the more obnoxious characteristics one might display) - kindness (even within your own thoughts) goes a long way on a pilgrimage.
Thank YOU and to everyone else for the honest feedback. I obviously live in my own head way too much. I now realize that my own need to remember my son and our days on various trails with the name he gave me is likely more culturally insensitive than I previously considered.
I do sincerely thank each of you for prying my eyes open a little wider so I can see what I really need to see - the whole world and not just my own headspace and personal challenges. While I identify as a long distance hiker and that does have its own stereotypes to many people, I am always incredibly nice, respectful, generous, and grateful to everyone I meet. Even more so last year on the Camino Frances. I hope to be an even better example of a considerate visitor to the wonderful folks of Spain this Spring.

As previously mentioned, I did indeed see the Camino as a trail, primarily for the physical aspects of it. Now as I look more broadly at it and see it as described by many here, I can see the Camino as more of an “Experience”. Encompassing the varying cultures from region to region of the locals, the wide range of cultures and personalities of the many international pilgrims, and at the minimum, the physical act of hiking the “trail”. For the last two years I have actively tried to avoid referring to my Camino hikes as anything remotely similar to a Pilgrimage. Mainly for the reason listed earlier; I just wanted to hike and be a long distance hiker again. I always left room in my mind for that moment or realization that suddenly appears to so many people which defines their Pilgrimage, but I never allowed it to materialize.
Maybe the feedback on my post and my resulting broader perspective is my “Camino moment”. Thank you.

And now to properly address the real original topic of this thread…
Yes, I believe nicknames for the most part are generally harmless, but using them amongst a group to identify those outside a group can quickly lead to exclusion and the development of the previously mentioned cliques. I think we all use different monikers to remember folks based on their unique characteristics. We just need to be respectful in their usage.
Last year on the Frances, I recall “Stretch” - super tall guy
“The luggage ladies”- used courier service for two huge suitcases and had everything you could imagine in them.
“ The Italian guys”- self explanatory
“The Ninja” - he would just appear out of nowhere right in front or behind you without any sound. Very uncomfortable.
“Dog mom” - my favorite by far. She would show up each evening around 5:00 or 6:00 PM in a taxi with a really small dog on a leash. She never spoke to anyone, seemed to only stay in private rooms, and she was constantly on her phone speaking Russian while walking the dog in the evening. Poor little dog just wanted to lay down and sleep every time I saw her. Finally after seeing her in 5-6 different villages, I asked her if I could pet the dog and maybe get him to play. She was hesitant at first, but allowed me to walk him around a little. I sat with the dog for 45 minutes and played small little catch and fetch games and let him lay in my lap whenever he wanted. He seemed so happy at last. I saw her 3-4 more times and each time the dog got super excited when he saw me and she let me hang out with him for an hour or so while she was on the phone. Never provided her name or any conversation other than thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank YOU and to everyone else for the honest feedback. I obviously live in my own head way too much. I now realize that my own need to remember my son and our days on various trails with the name he gave me is likely more culturally insensitive than I previously considered.
I do sincerely thank each of you for prying my eyes open a little wider so I can see what I really need to see - the whole world and not just my own headspace and personal challenges. While I identify as a long distance hiker and that does have its own stereotypes to many people, I am always incredibly nice, respectful, generous, and grateful to everyone I meet. Even more so last year on the Camino Frances. I hope to be an even better example of a considerate visitor to the wonderful folks of Spain this Spring.

As previously mentioned, I did indeed see the Camino as a trail, primarily for the physical aspects of it. Now as I look more broadly at it and see it as described by many here, I can see the Camino as more of an “Experience”. Encompassing the varying cultures from region to region of the locals, the wide range of cultures and personalities of the many international pilgrims, and at the minimum, the physical act of hiking the “trail”. For the last two years I have actively tried to avoid referring to my Camino hikes as anything remotely similar to a Pilgrimage. Mainly for the reason listed earlier; I just wanted to hike and be a long distance hiker again. I always left room in my mind for that moment or realization that suddenly appears to so many people which defines their Pilgrimage, but I never allowed it to materialize.
Maybe the feedback on my post and my resulting broader perspective is my “Camino moment”. Thank you.
I’m sorry if my post came across as harsh, that was not my intention and I apologise for that. Cultures differ tremendously and trail names are important in your culture - and what’s more important - yours has significant meaning for you. While many people here will not be accustomed to them a simple way to make everyone happy might be: my name is XY but I usually go by YX (maybe adding why given how lovely the connection with your son is).

As for the Camino being a trail, a walk or a pilgrimage - that’s for you to experience in your heart. Whichever term you use, I don’t think it changes much. You can absolutely be a long-distance hiker on a pilgrimage.

And lastly, it makes me happy to read that the Camino facilitates your return to long hikes. I very much understand the longing you feel if that options is taken from you. Europe is full of fantastic hiking opportunities with great facilities (frequent accompanying, public transport between points, no need to carry much at all in your daypack) - if you’d ever like any pointers for some new adventures please reach out!

Sorry that I started this kerfuffle about trail names. I didn't say that it's forbidden, but just that it's not really part of Camino culture and will thus strike other pilgrims/ walkers/hikers as odd. Especially those who aren't from North America.
While many people here will not be accustomed to them a simple way to make everyone happy might be: my name is XY but I usually go by YX
If the guy who introduced himself to me with only his trail name had done this I would have had a different reaction.

But I do believe that people should be addressed by the name that they prefer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.