A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Norwegians have been in Santiago for a long time

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19

Togabogie

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Yes but they should also have mentioned Saint Bridget of Sweden!!

In case you wonder about the albergue(s) on the Camino Francés that bear her name! Or places along the Vía de la Plata, etc.

We in ireland are only after celebrating st bridgets day whic is 1st feburary where people gather at her birthplace of faughart in co louth and pray at the stream etc
My father said that every country in europe has one i.e st bridget so maybe hes right!!
But ireland was the first of coursr 🤓
She was born in 5th century i think!!

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
Yes but they should also have mentioned Saint Bridget of Sweden!!
They can’t mention everything in a short article. For example, Sigurd I is merely described as the first Norwegian pilgrim in Santiago in the article. One imagines a pious and modest royal pilgrim on foot. Turns out that he is also known as Sigurd the Crusader and Sigurd Jerusalemfarer and that, on his sailing trip from Norway via England and France to Jerusalem, he stopped with his army in Galicia to spend the winter there and when there was eventually some dispute about food and other provisions during his long stay in or near Santiago de Compostela he and his army did a bit of attacking and looting before they left for Lisbon and the Mediterranean Sea.

Last edited:

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
he stopped with his army in Galicia to spend the winter there and when there was eventually some dispute about food and other provisions during his long stay in Santiago de Compostela he and his army did a bit of attacking and looting before they left for Lisbon and the Mediterranean Sea.
About par for the course at the time :cool: The Fourth Crusade set off from western Europe with the idea of recapturing Jerusalem from its Muslim occupiers. On the way they stopped off at Constantinople and wrecked and plundered the place. Which was of course a Christian city at the time 🙁

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
...he stopped with his army in Galicia to spend the winter there and when there was eventually some dispute about food and other provisions during his long stay in or near Santiago de Compostela he and his army did a bit of attacking and looting before they left for Lisbon and the Mediterranean Sea.
Apparently in our blood...

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
About par for the course at the time :cool:
Yes, everyone against everyone else. A far cry from today’s peace loving camino pilgrim who makes life long friends from around the world and doesn’t smash the hospitalero’s skull in when there is no food ....

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Yes we had trouble with those Vikings as well, with their plundering and stealing our women 😊 I found out recently after a DNA test that I had 4% Norwegian blood (DNA) in me. Go figure. 😁

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
Yes, everyone against everyone else. A far cry from today’s peace loving camino pilgrim who makes life long friends from around the world and doesn’t smash the hospitalero’s skull in when there is no food ....
Speak for yourself! No food??! They're lucky if they get away with a blood eagle!

And that was just Azofra last year.

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
But I suppose that you are aware that the Norwegians trips to Compostela did not go well, sometimes...
"Tenth- or eleventh-century fragments of mouse bone found in Madeira, along with mitocondrial DNA of Madeiran mice, suggests that Vikings also came to Madeira (bringing mice with them), prior to colonisation by Portugal." I say, you learn something new every day… 🤔!

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Yes we had trouble with those Vikings as well, with their plundering and stealing our women 😊 I found out recently after a DNA test that I had 4% Norwegian blood (DNA) in me. Go figure. 😁
Do not believe that stealing stuff: The Vikings were very careful at personal hygiene and smelling good... And as you have tested, something good came out of it...

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
But I suppose that you are aware that Norwegians trips to Compostela did not go well, sometimes... :p
It seems that the Vikings had several episodes with the Church of Britonia in Galicia that lasted more than 300 years in the Mondoñedo area and it is very unknown in Spain and outside.That Church had more problems with the Vikings than with the Muslims.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Last edited:

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock