A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Old and dormant threads

2020 Camino Guides

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
I have suggested before locking threads when there has been no activity for a substantial period. That suggestion didn’t fly but - no pun intended - the more than a decade old thread on Iberia cancelling flights to Santiago was resurrected today. It’s not unusual.

Could Ivar consider as part of ongoing development making it much more obvious when a thread has not had a post for more than a year?

I know the date of the last post is shown, but it’s clearly not sufficiently obvious.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Very good idea.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I am the one who accidently resurrected the old Iberia thread. I knew there was a thread from a couple of weeks ago about canceling flights due to the virus and I'd recalled Iberia being referred to, but couldn't remember the thread title so did a search. Unfortunately "Iberia" popped up so I quickly clicked on it thinking it was the same one I was remembering...but didn't notice in time that it was tagged as "older threads on this subject"...oops.

Last edited:

Walking Lover

Camino(s) past & future
CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.
I have suggested before locking threads when there has been no activity for a substantial period. That suggestion didn’t fly but - no pun intended - the more than a decade old thread on Iberia cancelling flights to Santiago was resurrected today. It’s not unusual.

Could Ivar consider as part of ongoing development making it much more obvious when a thread has not had a post for more than a year?

I know the date of the last post is shown, but it’s clearly not sufficiently obvious.
I seem to recall that subscribers are deleted if they aren't active for a period of time. I was dropped once.

WGroleau

Wandering Weirdo
Camino(s) past & future
2015 & 2016 (partial)
Good idea. I do not believe in locking old threads. A place like this is not just a forum. …
In other forums, "locking" refers to not allowing added comments. That might be appropriate here for some threads, but since not all, the warning idea is better. Or a compromise would be a lock that the user can override by responding to "Locked because ___ months old—are you sure you want to reply?"

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think locking threads is the way to go... but I like the little message that inform you that it has been x number of days since the last post this this thread... I just realised that there is a plugin that I can use to make this happen, but I can only install this from the office in Santiago, so I would have to wait until I get back there.

What do we think should be the limit? If the last post in a thread is 180 days (or more ago) then we put up the message?

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I don't think locking threads is the way to go... but I like the little message that inform you that it has been x number of days since the last post this this thread... I just realised that there is a plugin that I can use to make this happen, but I can only install this from the office in Santiago, so I would have to wait until I get back there.

What do we think should be the limit? If the last post in a thread is 180 days (or more ago) then we put up the message?
I think that 180 days would be a good limit.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 92 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 363 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock