• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you consider that I was searching by memory that's not too bad. I also took a photo of that hut in winter during my camino years but can not find it.
Carpe diem.
Not bad. I was relying on my memory too but since you had probably seen the building a dozen times to my one I had to check. I appreciate your comments.

You were a contributor to a thread on Romanesque architecture for beginners. I just posted something there based on my search for the hut. Since you may not be still watching the thread you can see my post at

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well we think we have been through all our Caminos at least twice since these threads started last year! But going through each Camino is the only way we can keep track of what we have probably already posted!! So today we are heading back to the Norte from 2018!! Enjoy!!
The 16thC, Santuario de Guadalupe, 4.8kms after leaving Irun. Camino del Norte, April, 2018.
P4260129.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Invierno. June 11, 2019. After O Barco de Valdeorras, there was a stretch along the road with different shrubs - thistles, sorrel and long grasses. There was a huge number of snails, nestled together in groups, attached to blades of grass, and perched on thistle blossoms. This one was making eye contact - sort of :)

DSC06209 (1).jpeg

Camino Frances
Puente La Reina

photo taken February 2, 2009

Puente La Reina 2009.jpg

As I was walking west one very cold February morning this was the view on calle Mayor aka the CF looking towards the distant bridge. To the right, topped with an urn, is the gate of the Iglesia de Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Afterparty.jpg

I name this picture " Afterparty " Vitoria/Gasteiz on the Vasco Interior 2019.
Which fiesta it was I don't know.
8.45 and leaving for that day.
A short but quite heavy walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looks delicious! Where exactly did you eat; a resto or albergue or your kitchen?
I believe it was at Café Del Camino, at the corner of the path into town (crossing over the Rio Arga) and the N-135. Although, on second thought, it could have been at the excellent Albergue Suseia; I don't remember which.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I believe it was at Café Del Camino, at the corner of the path into town (crossing over the Rio Arga) and the N-135. Although, on second thought, it could have been at the excellent Albergue Suseia; I don't remember which.
I remember "the path into town" fondly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Just before the New Year seems a fine time to start a new thread. For those just joining us, the routine is to post a single photo per day from any camino.. If you can let us know where it is and which year, and if you are running out of images. repetition is quite OK.. Short stories are fun too, but not obligatory - part of what I so enjoy here is that other people's photos bring up memories, which keeps the thread endlessly interesting.

Such a blessing.
Gratitude for hospies everywhere.
Here is Luis, checking us in at the wonderful municipal in Beasain on the Vasco in 2018. Endless caritas there too:
View attachment 115494

These are amazing. I wouldn't have gotten much farther for a while..

Attachments

• IMG_3079.JPG
    IMG_3079.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 29
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hope you folks don't mind an extra photo today...

Finally bought my flights for this summer.
If all goes according to plan, the walking will start here:

View attachment 118117
It's ironic that as soon as I post this (which has been the plan for a few months), I'm thinking about making a change...

Although I'll still be passing through Hontanas, I've almost made up my mind to start in Le Puy-en-Velay.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looking back at Pamplona on an extremely hot day! I stopped at every tree, no matter how scraggly for a bit of shade. September 9, 2012
What a contrast to your Primitivo photo near Oviedo! Different universes!

pure delight of the start of another day.
😍
Same. Leaving Lalin, Invierno July 2019 - early enough that the pathway lights were still lit coming down to the via verde, and the forest was lit by sunbeams.
20190614_074918.jpg

Last edited:

€83,-
Roncesvalles
winter landscape

photo taken January 8, 2010

Roncesvalles.jpg

Glimpsing this ethereal winter landscape was my reward after walking 6 hours alone through wind, sleet, and snow up to Roncesvalles monastery via the verges of route N-135 since following the Valcarlos alternate CF through the snowy wood could be perilous.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

€149,-
Camino Frances
Fromista
Canal de Castilla Esclusa cuádruple

photo taken February 28, 2007

Canala de Castilla.JPG

This view shows the four huge Fromista locks.
Constructed 1753 -1849 to transport wheat by barge the Canala de Castilla today irrigates 48 municipalities. Canalside pathways are used for recreation; sections of the Canal flow past sections of the Camino Frances.

Passing through and looking back at the hamlet of Ferreiros and the Iglesia de Santa María with its 12th century Romanesque facade and beautiful little churchyard. Had hoped to stop for coffee at the cafe / bar O Mirallos, but it was very busy inside and out with groups of men. Trucks and cars were full of barking dogs. Hunting season? Camino Frances, October 7, 2012.

DSC05947.jpeg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think I took any fog in the valley pictures because we were late starters and any fog of that type had burned off before we warmed up. We did walk through fog though. This fog was found from Finisterra to Muxia. It was about 11:30. Peg said to not worry, it will be clear at 12:00. It was.

I don't think I took any fog in the valley pictures because we were late starters and any fog of that type had burned off before we warmed up. We did walk through fog though. This fog was found from Finisterra to Muxia.
My photo from yesterday, fog in the morning leaving O Cebreiro, June 2019.
IMG_20190629_083956054.jpg

That place before Triacastella, where the way ahead seems to end in space, with hills and clouds far below...ah, wonderful!
View media item 4978
Camino
By David Whyte
The way forward, the way between things,
the way already walked before you,
the path disappearing and reappearing even
as the ground gave way beneath you,
the grief apparent only in the moment
of forgetting, then the river, the mountain,
the lifting song of the Sky Lark inviting
you over the rain filled pass when your legs
had given up, and after,
it would be dusk and the half-lit villages
in evening light; other people’s homes
glimpsed through lighted windows
and inside, other people’s lives; your own home
you had left crowding your memory
as you looked to see a child playing
or a mother moving from one side of
a room to another, your eyes wet
with the keen cold wind of Navarre.

But your loss brought you here to walk
under one name and one name only,
and to find the guise under which all loss can live;
remember, you were given that name every day
along the way, remember, you were greeted as such,
and treated as such and you needed no other name,
other people seemed to know you even before
you gave up being a shadow on the road
and came into the light, even before you sat down,
broke bread and drank wine,
wiped the wind-tears from your eyes:
pilgrim they called you,
pilgrim they called you again and again. Pilgrim.

Idiazabal.jpg

Around Idiazabal.
Pais Vasco at its finest.
Camino Vasco Interior 2019.

Idiiazabal is famous for their cheese.

The Camino Vasco Interior was till now the best Camino in terms of food. Refined cuisine.

One of the best places, still very informal though , was Ama taberna in Tolosa.

A blogentry from someone who captured it very well.

Idiazabal.jpg

Last edited:
Apples

Behold the apples’ rounded worlds:
juice-green of July rain,
the black polestar of flowers, the rind
mapped with its crimson stain.

The russet, crab and cottage red
burn to the sun’s hot brass,
then drop like sweat from every branch
and bubble in the grass.

They lie as wanton as they fall,
and where they fall and break,
the stallion clamps his crunching jaws,
the starling stabs his beak.

In each plump gourd the cidery bite
of boys’ teeth tears the skin;
the waltzing wasp consumes his share,
the bent worm enters in.

I, with as easy hunger, take
entire my season’s dole;
welcome the ripe, the sweet, the sour,
the hollow and the whole.

Laurie Lee

Anyone who has walked through Asturias in Autumn will know exactly what he is talking about. Laurie Lee set off from the little Gloucestershire village he grew up in ‘one midsummer’s morning’ to busk and work his way up to London and ended up walking across Spain before being caught up in the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. He was evacuated by the Royal Navy but returned to assist the Republican cause later.DSC00131.JPG

Camino Frances
towards Rabanal

photo taken November 13, 2010

View attachment 118422

This small personal, pathside cross is somewhere west of Santa Catalina de Somoza and east of Rabanal del Camino.
The cross is in El Ganso. I have a picture of it also. We walked from Astorga to Santa Catalina. A short way but it was Peg's first day walking after about five days incapacitation with tendonitis. To kill time I walked on to El Ganso to take photos since I wouldn't have time to do so on the following day.

Last edited:
Definitely a repost. My first visit to SDC, October 1964. On my subsequent visits, it has been fun to see what has not really changed. The old town is essentially the same, outside the old town, almost everything feels changed. It was fun to try to find the shop that I bought wine in, it is now a souvenir shop. Not many of those in 1964, not many tourists either.

SDC Cathedral 1964.jpg

€83,-
The cross is in El Ganso. I have a picture of it also. We walked from Astorga to Santa Catalina. A short way but it was Peg's first day walking after about five days incapacitation with tendonitis. To kill time I walked on to El Ganso to take photos since I wouldn't have time to on the following day.
Rick,
Thanks for this update. Did you also take the little church? I have one of the built-in exterior "seat" but little of the building.

Feels like I'm running out of quality photos for this thread.
The tail is wagging the dog. But no complaints from the peanut gallery!

Refined cuisine.
Except for that first place we went in Tolosa for a menu del dia, whose name I can't remember. Thank you for those links, Sabine! Fond memories. It was an incredible place.

Except for that first place we went in Tolosa for a menu del dia, whose name I can't remember. Thank you for those links, Sabine! Fond memories. It was an incredible place.

Oh yes I forgot that place. Recommended by the owner of the pension where we stayed. The same gloom of dark wood panels...:oops:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rick,
Thanks for this update. Did you also take the little church? I have one of the built-in exterior "seat" but little of the building.
I must have taken some pictures of it but I don't have any. Of the pictures I took of Barcelona and the CF up to Galicia I lost maybe 3,000 out of about 4,000 in a memory card accident. When I discovered this in Muxia I said a few loud words and then calmed down thinking about 35 years of slides I never see. Besides, these days you can easily view photos of places on the internet. Like those of the Iglesia de Santiago in El Ganso taken by others that can be seen on Google Maps.

Did you also take the little church? I have one of the built-in exterior "seat" but little of the building.
I have two from successive years; I was clearly taken by the church's structure, and the storks on it - but was unable to get a photo without power lines in the foreground! 🤣
IMG_8033 (2).JPGAstorga-Rabinal del Camino (75).JPG

Last edited:
Casa Domingo, near San Xulian, between Palas de Rei and Melide
CF, May 9, 2018

D29AA216-E90F-4C24-9D77-5903B2B64665.jpeg

A wonderful place to stay, complete with relaxing, quiet outdoor space behind the albergue, a communal dinner, and after dinner, what I can only describe as a Galician incantation ceremony, for which each of us paid two Euros.
In the dark, with spooky music playing, our black-robed host made a concoction of fruit, sugar and alcohol, set it afire and poured the burning liquid from a ladle while speaking what I assumed was an ancient incantation. Afterwards we all drank a small glass of the remaining liquid, but unfortunately, the alcohol had all been burned off!
I got the impression that this is something you have to know about and ask for. A group of eight Spanish people from Barcelona, who said they walk together every year and stay at Casa Domingo, knew about it and asked the host to do it. A very memorable experience, one I won’t forget.

Did you also take the little church? I have one of the built-in exterior "seat" but little of the building.
I have two from successive years; I was clearly taken by the church's structure, and the storks on it - but was unable to get a photo without power lines in the foreground! 🤣
Iglesia de Santiago, El Ganso. Here's mine from Oct. 2, 2012. Yes, no getting around those power lines :)

DSC05654.jpeg

Last edited:
Perhaps/thanks. Part of the reason I take so many photos is with the hope my granddaughter (and any other future grandchildren) will one day look at them and marvel at the places I've been in this world and to pass on the wanderlust to them to go/see/experience/develop a world-based POV.

And, to be honest, these threads (photos and stories that accompany them) are the only thing draws me to the forum; I don't get much from it otherwise.

Perhaps/thanks. Part of the reason I take so many photos is with the hope my granddaughter (and any other future grandchildren) will one day look at them and marvel at the places I've been in this world and to pass on the wanderlust to them to go/see/experience/develop a world-based POV.

And, to be honest, these threads (photos and stories that accompany them) are the only thing draws me to the forum; I don't get much from it otherwise.

There is something very comfortable/ comforting indeed in the natural flow of this thread!

Last edited:

I feel that the regular posters on this thread are like a close, warm, friendly family. It is always my first port of call on the Forum. If I can help elsewhere, I do. Thank you to all of you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
San Sebastian in view. Although we had only just started the Camino del Norte, we took a couple of rest days in San Sebastian as our sister-in-law and niece flew over from Scotland to see us, which was wonderful. April, 2018.
P4270187.JPG

Great to be back. We were able to enjoy all your photos and poems while we were away, just couldn't post any ourselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back