• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One day at a time, one photo at a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
A: "Hi there, neighbour. Que tal?"
B: "I think I just saw peregrino whizzing by in this 35C heat."
A: "Yep, there are some crazy ones out there."

(I saw at least 50 rabbits in just couple of kilometers on the stretch between Almansa and Alpera on Camino de Levante.)

Attachments

• 0346-rabbits (Almansa-Alpera, 15.06.2015).JPG
    0346-rabbits (Almansa-Alpera, 15.06.2015).JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A glorious autumn day on the Camino Portugués del Interior. Left the Douro at Peso da Régua and went up the Corgo valley past the neat port wine terraces, with a few people out beating olives off their trees. Lunch was just the other side of that bridge, at Vila Real.

cpi.jpg

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The Invierno has some of the finest trees I've ever had the pleasure to meet. This is the old road between Villavieja (which was once village of the people who worked the castle) and the Castilo de Cornatel, lined like a grand boulevard with beautiful chestnut trees.20190603_131455.jpg

Last edited:
Let there be flowers of Camino today.
I'll oblige. But since I really like how there is such a large variety of postings on this thread I'm going to put a little twist on this request.

The Camino Catalan in the Pyrenees foothills follows a woodland trail above a ravine and passes this memorial (it says something like "You are not forgotten.") I took this picture on November 3, 2019. The flowers may have been placed there on All Souls Day. One has to imagine that someone fell into the ravine here.

Screenshot_20200608-143137.png

Here is the ravine:
IMG_20191103_142136.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Albergue Bergando, Negreria. Oct. 16th. After walking in pouring rain the whole day came upon one of my favorites. Fire to dry my shoes, slippers to warm my feet. The next morning walked around their farm, this guy checking to see if the rain has stopped. F20FDCF4-A459-4F16-96C1-BBDE638F5C8E.jpegBED2DB4F-A0AF-42F6-AFBD-B1E385C2D059.jpeg

Camino Portuguese- 8th, May, 2016 We walked from Mealhada to Agueda this day and these photos were taken about 2.30pm. There was to be a special procession later that afternoon. Should have posted this yesterday but thought as they weren't live flowers, didn't, but when I saw Rick of Rick and Peg's post I decided to put these in today!P5083822.JPGP5083823.JPG

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What a luxury on a 30C+ hot and sunny day :)

(before Chinchilla de Monte Aragon on Camino de Levante)

Attachments

• 0444-resting (Hoya Gonzalo-Chinchilla de M.A., 18.06.2015).jpg
    0444-resting (Hoya Gonzalo-Chinchilla de M.A., 18.06.2015).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know the thread calls for "... one photo at a time" but these two like to be seen together.

Just off the Ruta de la Lana, or on the Camino de San Olav, at Quintanilla de las Viñas, half way between Santo Domingo de Silos and Burgos, Santa María de Lara is one of only a half dozen or so Visigothic churches in Spain that survived the conquista, dating from around 690AD. The outside of the building has some wonderful stylised relief carvings of vines, plants, birds and other animals. Inside, to the right of a horseshoe arch, two serene angels carry a central medallion of a radiant sun shining from a young man's head, while on the left, slightly damaged, a surviving angel supports a medallion with a bearded head surmounted by a crescent moon.

Any sharp-eyed Inquisitor seeing them would probably have had the vapours about paganism or the Arrian heresy, but miraculously they have survived, together with what is claimed to be the earliest image in Spain of Christ as Pantocrator.

selene.JPG

sol invictus.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In light of recent events this photo might also have political message...

(Camino de Levante, 2015 )
I'm seeing this picture and some others as a thumbnail surrounded by a light gray frame with the image name, size and number of views. How is this done? I've only seen ways to attach a picture as a plain thumbnail or in full.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm seeing this picture and some others as a thumbnail surrounded by a light gray frame with the image name, size and number of views. How is this done? I've only seen ways to attach a picture as a plain thumbnail or in full.
You just attach the photo and post it
Don't hit thumbnail or full.
This way you also minimize download time of the thread which is especially useful for those checking forum on their phones or with weak and slow internet connection.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
tLkdUR-g.jpegkQEbHIeg.jpeg
An exception to the "one picture per day" rule here, as reaching Cruz de Ferro was a rather interesting moment on my Camino.

Arriving at Cruz de Ferro had been an odd experience for me - I had felt none of the spiritual uplift and release that I might have anticipated and I was actually even a little disappointed. It just didn't resonate at all.

But then I saw the sun was rising over our shoulders and we were treated to yet another stunning dawn.

At that point, I suddenly noticed a Camino friend I hadn't seen since he'd fallen into my arms with a terrible allergic reaction at the Spanish Civil War memorial above Villafranca Montes de Oca a couple of weeks back.

I hadn't seen him since, but I'd heard from other friends that he had recovered and was walking again.

Here, at Cruz de Ferro, we met again. That made the place special for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Enjoying the sunset at the entrance to the municipal swimming pool locker rooms (with famous cockroach showers) in Almonacid del Toledo (Camino de Levante)...

Attachments

• IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
View attachment 76745View attachment 76746
An exception to the "one picture per day" rule here, as reaching Cruz de Ferro was a rather interesting moment on my Camino.

Arriving at Cruz de Ferro had been an odd experience for me - I had felt none of the spiritual uplift and release that I might have anticipated and I was actually even a little disappointed. It just didn't resonate at all.

But then I saw the sun was rising over our shoulders and we were treated to yet another stunning dawn.

At that point, I suddenly noticed a Camino friend I hadn't seen since he'd fallen into my arms with a terrible allergic reaction at the Spanish Civil War memorial above Villafranca Montes de Oca a couple of weeks back.

I hadn't seen him since, but I'd heard from other friends that he had recovered and was walking again.

Here, at Cruz de Ferro, we met again. That made the place special for me.

Camino Frances- 21st, September, 2014 Cruz de Ferro at dawn. We also experienced a beautiful sunrise, which was wonderful after our not so great accommodation in Foncebadon the night before! I (Anne) was also suffering from the effects of many bedbug bites!!

21 Sep #3 0810hrs Cruz de Ferro at dawn.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Autumn at Cornatel Castle on the Invierno, setting for dramatic scenes from Enrique Gil y Carrasco's historical novel El Señor de Bembibre. A stiff climb to the top, but worth it for amazing views, especially from the "banco más bonito del Bierzo" just by the castle.

Cornatel.JPG

Camino del Norte- 30th, May, 2018 Soto de Luina to Cadavedo via the mountain route. These photos were taken one after the other at 1pm, & 1.10pm, the second after we had gone through the gate to the right of the camino sign. We saw no other pilgrims this day, the other pilgrims must have taken the Ballotas (coastal) route. We had magnificent views from the mountain route. The two routes are about the same distance. About half an hour after the second photo the rain started and got heavier all the way into Cadavedo, which we didn't reach till 16.30hrs.

20180530_130035.jpg20180530_131029.jpg

Camino del Norte- 30th, May, 2018 Soto de Luina to Cadavedo via the mountain route. These photos were taken one after the other at 1pm, & 1.10pm, the second after we had gone through the gate to the right of the camino sign. We saw no other pilgrims this day, the other pilgrims must have taken the Ballotas (coastal) route. We had magnificent views from the mountain route. The two routes are about the same distance. About half an hour after the second photo the rain started and got heavier all the way into Cadavedo, which we didn't reach till 16.30hrs.

View attachment 76796View attachment 76799
That's on my 'to do' list!

Many times we say that certain amount of Spanish helps a lot on less walked Caminos. But on this stage of Camino de Levante English will get you there faster than Spanish (23,2 vs 27 kms) :D

Attachments

• 2015-06-26 11.23.08.jpg
    2015-06-26 11.23.08.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances- 27th, August, 2014 just after 8am, unfortunately too early to visit this beautiful Templar Church at Eunate. Had hoped to visit it properly this year but that will have to wait until next year! Hopefully!!
We walked from Uterga to Cirauqui this day. We got a little lost leaving in the dark, ended up in paddocks but eventually got back on the right track!!27 Aug #4 0812hrs Templar church at Eunate built 1140AD.JPG

I have been unable to view those types on my Android, Rick.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Next time I'll definitely stay overnight in this little town. You better watch out for me in the evening. Vamos a bailar! Ole! :D

(La Villa de Don Fadrique - Camino de Levante)

Attachments

• 2015-06-27 12.28.32.jpg
    2015-06-27 12.28.32.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Camino Frances- 27th, August, 2014 just after 8am, unfortunately too early to visit this beautiful Templar Church at Eunate. Had hoped to visit it properly this year but that will have to wait until next year! Hopefully!!
Today is the day I was going to start showing a number of pictures of that church taken on my last day of the Camino Aragonese. I didn't intend to show my first view of it but your sunny summer picture coming from one direction calls for one in a different season with different weather and from a different direction.

IMG_20191109_134226.jpg

My next Eunate picture is located at this post.

Last edited:
I have been unable to view those types on my Android, Rick.
I've never had a problem with those on my Pixel Android phones Chris. I usually use the Chrome browser to view the forum (so linked Spanish articles are easily translated). I have two other browsers and I'll check them out when I look at the problem described below.

Today I've run into a problem. It looks as if the forum software has been changed to show thumbnail pictures instead of full pictures. It also looks like thumbnail pictures are kept on third party servers and not all are available there so a broken image icon is shown instead and the full picture may not be able to be seen. Anyway I am going to dig around to see what is happening and send a report to Ivar.

Edit #1: In case someone else comes across this problem on their smartphone I found a way that may fix the problem for you (it did for me). I requested the browser on the smartphone to view the desktop site and that showed the pictures. When I then hit the back button the smartphone version worked just fine showing the previously broken pictures. I'm waiting to see what happens with newly posted pics.

Edit #2: This is a copy of a reply I made to @camino_chrissy below.

I think I know what was going on. It's too technical for me to punish myself writing an explanation other than to say I think it was a glitch that could happen from time to time and not a serious problem. It is also likely to have affected viewers in a limited geographical area and that is why only we two have mentioned the problem.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, I was logged in, but w
On my Pixel it works with the Chrome, Firefox and Brave browsers. Expanding a thumbnail does not work though unless you are logged in. You get a prompt to log in instead.
Well, then I looked a few minutes later and those pictures all showed up... A virtual camino miracle!

Well, I was logged in, but w
Well, then I looked a few minutes later and those pictures all showed up... A virtual camino miracle!
I think I know what was going on. It's too technical for me to punish myself writing an explanation other than to say I think it was a glitch that could happen from time to time and not a serious problem. It is also likely to have affected viewers in a limited geographical area and that is why only we two have mentioned the problem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just before Finisterre, we took off our shoes and walked the final mile or two barefooted on the beach, picking up shells as we went. It was a beautiful way to reach the end of the world!
2018-05-15 550.jpeg

La iglesia de Santa María de Eunate

This romanesque church located in countryside is surrounded by a wall. Here is the gate to get in. It has been decorated for a wedding (see my better picture submitted at this thread's post #17).

eunate-gate.jpg

My next Eunate picture is located at this post.

Last edited:
Resto Tartan in Miranda de Ebro. Fusion and veggies!
I am happily remembering how kindly they took us in, despite our pilgrim vibe. And the delicious food. Seeing the menu makes me want to go there all over again.
Guess where this is?
Right past this place:
20190603_075604 (2).jpg

(And I can heartily recommend the pharmacia there on the corner - you can see it in the photo if the bridge, there on the right. In 2014 I went in there needing something urgently and they were so kind...that was years ago and I have not forgotten it.)

Eunate

Yesterday I probably should have attached this picture of an informational sign pointing out the features of the church at Eunate. It is in Spanish.

IMG_20191109_134403.jpg

In yesterday's picture you could see beyond the gate at the church's encircling wall some columns connected with arches. These also encircle the church and perhaps qualify to be called a cloister. Here is another view with the larger door to the church in the background. This is the north door but entering with the smaller door on the west you directly face the apse.

eunate-door.jpg

Next, the west entrance.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is something magical about being under dark rain clouds while still walking in the sunshine.

Another dark clouds photo. This time the back of the Palazzo Pubblico in Siena. The Palazzo is formed in the shape of St James Scallop shell as Siena relied on pilgrims going onto Rome. You can see all sorts of links to St James within the Palazzo

Attachments

• 2017-10-12 12.50.53.jpg
    2017-10-12 12.50.53.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 2017-10-12 14.42.08.jpg
    2017-10-12 14.42.08.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The most mystical beautiful coastline I have seen on any journey. Taken on the Norte coastal alternative out of Santander. It doubles the km to the albergue in Boo but just stunning the whole way.

Attachments

• IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    739.5 KB · Views: 29
Camino del Norte- 20th, May, 2018 Walking from Pendueles to LLanes along the coastal path, the GR E-9. This route takes you past the Bufones De Arenillas. An impressive geological feature, otherwise known as blowholes. You should be able to see evidence of the sea spray coming out of this one. You can certainly hear them long before you reach them.

20180520_101808.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back