• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Plans to start Camino in 2020 after Spain re-opens

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am feeling hopeful that our Camino de Madrid/ Frances/Invierno planned for this year can be undertaken next year. Now to look at a possible date. An enjoyable task in this time of lockdown.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am feeling hopeful that our Camino de Madrid/ Frances/Invierno planned for this year can be undertaken next year. Now to look at a possible date. An enjoyable task in this time of lockdown.
Always lovely having something to look forward to & important especially in these uncertain times. I'm hoping to resume travel in 2021 but where is entirely unknown at this stage. 🤷‍♀️
There are many variables & any travel will involve a level of co-ordination we haven't had to consider in the past; our own government policy, airline requirements/availability/cost, restrictions of destination governments, infrastructure & health or immunisation prerequisites.
The word 'planning' will have a whole new meaning; the only certainty being we'll need a Plan B...& C...& possibly D! Think I'm currently on about Plan F. 😄
Enjoy the process.
👣 🌏

I've planned a 3-week trip to Spain for December to hopefully attend a family function. I'll have a free week while there and hope to spend it on the Camino. It's nice to have something to plan and look forward to, but I know it's way too early to write those plans in stone.

Plan A was April 2020, Plan B Dec 2020, and Plan C will be sometime in 2021!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just checked out this camino that you are planning to do. Seems to be really interesting combining lots of different terrains, availability of services and numbers of pilgrims. Would be very interested to hear about your camino when you can walk it. Might be something to do in the future. My next Camino, hopefully late Feb/March or Mid October 2021 will be the VDLP. Been wanting to do it for a while. Looks like there is a short stretch after Segovia where there are not any albergues. I have checked out Gronze.com and I know there are sections here for both the Invierno and the Madrid. I haven't checked but I wonder if there is an up to date app or guidebook for either one. Thanks again and I am always looking out for new caminos to walk. Judging by your list you have done quite a variety. Buen Camino, stay safe and hope you and everyone gets to walk again sooner rather than later.

My wife and I were planning to hike CF this fall to avoid the large crowds of 2021 Jubilee year. With COVID-19 restrictions likely to continue in part into 2021, we're wondering if the volume of pilgrims next year will be reduced? Some have conjectured that Pope Frances will extend the Jubilee year to two years which will also reduce pilgrim traffic next year.

I just checked out this camino that you are planning to do. Seems to be really interesting combining lots of different terrains, availability of services and numbers of pilgrims. Would be very interested to hear about your camino when you can walk it. Might be something to do in the future. My next Camino, hopefully late Feb/March or Mid October 2021 will be the VDLP. Been wanting to do it for a while. Looks like there is a short stretch after Segovia where there are not any albergues. I have checked out Gronze.com and I know there are sections here for both the Invierno and the Madrid. I haven't checked but I wonder if there is an up to date app or guidebook for either one. Thanks again and I am always looking out for new caminos to walk. Judging by your list you have done quite a variety. Buen Camino, stay safe and hope you and everyone gets to walk again sooner rather than later.
We walked the Via de la Plata in 2017. It was wonderful.
For the Madrid and Invierno routes, we’ll be using Johnniewalker’s guides. Also John Brierley is putting out a guide to the Invierno later this year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For the Madrid and Invierno routes, we’ll be using Johnniewalker’s guides. Also John Brierley is putting out a guide to the Invierno later this year.
Once again thanks and I do hope we all can walk soon and that you post some of your observations along the way I definitely would follow them. Every day the thought of my VDLP camino comes to me. Stay safe.

Several new threads have been opened by people who are starting to plan Caminos in Spain after July 1. Gradually some light will be shed on the situation, but things are still very uncertain and changeable. We prefer not to have a multitude of new threads asking the same questions, so some threads have been merged here.

Please try to provide specific information about the current situation on the Camino, and avoid lecturing/criticizing people for having hopes or plans. Also, the COVID Round 7 thread is still the best place for general discussion about Covid and the travel restrictions around the world.

Last edited:
Hello, I’m looking into walking the Camino Frances this July. From what I have been reading online Spain will be fully open to foreign tourists by then. I wanted to get the opinion of others on whether to do it in July or wait until August/September.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think it would be possible in July but the availability of open albergues might be an issue. That said, hotels, pensions and guesthouses should be open if you were prepared to stay in places like that, but I would probably wait until later in summer if you are more keen on albergues.

You will get a lot of people telling you to postpone until next year and saying things like 'Let Spain heal' etc. but consider the huge impact this has had on the local economies along the caminos and I am sure your €s will be very welcomed. 2021 is a holy year and probably going to be even busier with the 2020 postponers too.

The main point is to have trust and faith in the Spanish Govt and their scientific advisors. If they say it's safe to walk for all concerned, then I would go with that. Go for it this year if it's possible and wish you well.

I see you are coming from the US. I would caution you that things could change very quickly. First of all, I would not want to arrive there and find out return flights have been banned by the US. Second, where are you going to stay? Albergues, hostals and hotels are just beginning to deal with the aftermath of this emergency, the ones that are open are going to be few and far between. I would wait and I don't think August is much better.

Hi folks, I booked flight in 2019 to Biarritz for 24th August, 2020, hoping to start Frances from St Jean on 25th August. I had given up hope of my Camino happening this year but suddenly there's a glimmer of hope that the Albergues might be open in time for me. Anyone else in the same boat. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From what I have been reading online Spain will be fully open to foreign tourists by then.
I'm not sure what "fully open" means, and I don't know if it will be open to all foreigners. As I understand it, the country isn't yet fully open to all Spanish residents. It's highly likely that there will be fewer albergues, and the prices could be higher.

I have a Spanish friend who is hoping to start in Irun in late June and from there he will meet some more Spanish friends in Ribadeo mid July to walk the Camino do Mar,.They are all keeping an eye on the various phases, some are coming from Catalonia so it may be touch and go if they can move between provinces. We have already seen a list of Albergues for the Norte that are open from La Isla in Asturias, it's a bit like the winter Albergue list, it gives you the names of the ones intending to open, capacity, opening dates ( provisional) and telephone numbers, it's not exhaustive and there may be others. I was really thinking about joining them but I realised when I come back ( to the UK) because of my job I might have to go into self quarantine situation before being available for work.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As mentioned previously in another thread, I'm thinking about walking the CP from Lisbon in September pending the opening of the Portuguese-Spanish border (currently closed until June 15).

Some reasons why I think this isn't crazy are:
  • I don't have to fly anywhere (I live in Lisbon) and deal with possible cancellations, rescheduling etc
  • Most of the walk is in Portugal, which has fared much better than Spain and is in less need of 'healing'
  • Portugal will already be in its final phase of reopening two days from now
  • If Spain restricts entry to residents of certain countries, Portugal won't be one of them
  • I'm not in any real danger of getting 'stuck' in Spain if a second outbreak / retightening of restrictions occurs because Portugal is just a bus ride away
  • I am flexible with time/money if there are issues related to either
  • In terms of catching and/or spreading the virus, I'd probably come into close contact with fewer people while walking (especially in this environment) than I would on a daily basis in Lisbon

Jungleboy have you seen any lists for opening Albergues in Portugal, just curious.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As mentioned previously in another thread, I'm thinking about walking the CP from Lisbon in September pending the opening of the Portuguese-Spanish border (currently closed until June 15).

• I don't have to fly anywhere (I live in Lisbon) and deal with possible cancellations, rescheduling etc
  • Most of the walk is in Portugal, which has fared much better than Spain and is in less need of 'healing'
  • If Spain restricts entry to residents of certain countries, Portugal won't be one of them
  • I'm not in any real danger of getting 'stuck' in Spain if a second outbreak / retightening of restrictions occurs because Portugal is just a bus ride away
  • In terms of catching and/or spreading the virus, I'd probably come into close contact with fewer people while walking (especially in this environment) than I would on a daily basis in Lisbon
Hey Nick.
I am thinking the same about the Portuguese route. Thinking about July. I will be walking alone so I hope there will be others on the Way by then.
Best of luck and Buen Camino

Based on the fact that you live in Portugal your plan sounds reasonable, because you can easily go back home. Much different than those who are flying from North America, Australia, etc.

Hello, I’m looking into walking the Camino Frances this July. From what I have been reading online Spain will be fully open to foreign tourists by then. I wanted to get the opinion of others on whether to do it in July or wait until August/September.
I wouldn't understand this as "Spain will be fully open to foreign tourists by then" but more as "Spain will NOT be fully open to foreign tourists UNTIL then (July)", which means that the Spain might be (partialy) closed for foreigners even longer.

Sorry if I'm a party breaker, just trying to be realistic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What we think doesn't matter. You need to be aware of what the Spanish government thinks.

Will Spain be in a position to receive visitors from high risk countries like the USA, the UK and Brasil by this summer?

Countries that have suffered badly throughout the C19 pandemic so far are not likely to want to leave themselves open to a second or third wave brought in by visitors from countries that have ever increasing infection numbers.

Denmark and Norway are happy with free flow between each other but not from Sweden because of the way Sweden has reacted to the crisis.

Greece has omitted the UK from their list of "safe" countries - a brave decision because they derive a lot of income from British tourists but a sensible one because our pandemic response is a shambles: 273,000 cases and (at least) 38,300 deaths. Greece has now announced they will accept flights from UK from 15th June but subject to "strict measures"

Europeans in general look on aghast at the numbers in the US 1.8 million cases and 105,500 deaths!

Besides, what's the rush? The Camino has been in existence for over a thousand years and will still be here next year, and the year after.

Give Spain time to lick her wounds.

Last edited:
If you're Canadian, you must take into consideration two other factors, that the Government counsels against all unnecessary foreign travel, that there is a 14-day quarantine on return and, most importantly, that travel health insurance will not provide for costs from Covid-19 illness while there is a Travel Advisory in effect. Then, of course, there is the question of whether or not one can cross provincial boundaries in Spain, which is not yet clear. There's little point on walking the Francese to be turned back just after Viana.

I have a few people writing to me, determined beyond anything to book tickets and start walking, and I just tell them to buy no ticket which is not entirely refundable.

While things may come to be clearer in the next few weeks, they aren't right now and no amount of wishing nor searching for loopholes will do. I like what the President of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims put on their website- https://www.santiago.ca/

Hi, any advice on doing the Vía this summer, post lockdwn would be much appreciated.

@trecile -

I have been thinking on the same topic.

IMHO, these are the factors that have to be taken into account for when “normal” returns to Spain; not addressed are disease dynamics for any pilgrim’s home country:

Time for the spread of epidemic to reach “peak” – the current math suggests the authorities will recognize that event within about three weeks. (Though I would not expect them to go public immediately.) However, the last several days of case numbers reported from Spain suggest a slowing of the rate of increase. So that puts us out to mid-April.

Time for the existing cases to resolve and infection rates to drop near zero – while anecdotal evidence suggests that this could take a month past the peak, we do not have enough solid data to be sure. But, let’s pretend that the stories are right. Takes us to mid-May but I propose adding a couple of weeks to take into account late-reporting hotspots. So now we are at early June.

Time for a mandated “clean up” period past the peak of the case numbers – it is to be expected that a thorough “Spring cleaning” will be required or recommended by the government. Even without a mandate, it is reasonable that the hospitality industry will police itself in this regard so as to boost tourist confidence that visiting Spain is safe and enjoyable. Maybe a month-long effort which takes us out to early July.

So, yes, I see a September being possible. What I do not know is how much damage will have been done by then to the economic fabric of the Camino. By that I mean, how many albergues, bars, casas, etc will be able to open in a timely manner? I suspect that the "new normal" will look a bit different than our past recent experience.

Only time will tell, I think. I will be watching the Forum avidly for “on the ground” reports as the current unpleasantness subsides.

B
Pretty spot on, I would say!

I assume that at first the number of beds offered will far exceed the number of pilgrims. I think that the beginning of the Camino Frances will be very similar to the month of February in normal times: Few open albergues and very few pilgrims, but you always have the possibility of finding a place to sleep.

For my part, I plan to start at SJPdP around July 15, but I will call SJPdP a week in advance to verify if there is already a minimum number of pilgrims, say 7 or 8 pilgrims per day as a minimum. In my last CF, in February 2018, we were 8 pilgrims in Roncesvalles. I really loved that Camino. We never had a problem finding an albergue (we took the precaution of checking every day which albergues were open).

For my part, I plan to start at SJPdP around July 15, but I will call SJPdP a week in advance to verify if there is already a minimum number of pilgrims, say 7 or 8 pilgrims per day as a minimum
@Lirsy, and if you don't like it after all or the Covid-19 situation in the area changes significantly and restrictions are implemented again, you are back home in no time and without a problem as you live close by. ☺

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
you are back home in no time and without a problem as you live close by.

Yes!! It is clear!! I have the great advantage of not needing any type of flight, reservation, etc.

Also an important issue is when the borders will be opened and for which countries. I suppose that the borders will open for many countries at the end of June, but, most likely, they will not be open for all countries.

Im was planning to complete my camino this September/October from O Ceribrio ,is it still a possibility do you think? Will be traveling from Ireland.

For my part, I plan to start at SJPdP around July 15, but I will call SJPdP a week in advance to verify if there is already a minimum number of pilgrims, say 7 or 8 pilgrims per day as a minimum.
You might want to read this thread which says that about 95 % of the albergues starting from SJPdP (Espinal - Zubiri - Larrassoaña - Pamplona) will probably not start to open at July, some consider to start opening in september, because as yet it seems not possible to fulfill the needed requirements.

I assume that at first the number of beds offered will far exceed the number of pilgrims. I think that the beginning of the Camino Frances will be very similar to the month of February in normal times: Few open albergues and very few pilgrims, but you always have the possibility of finding a place to sleep.

For my part, I plan to start at SJPdP around July 15, but I will call SJPdP a week in advance to verify if there is already a minimum number of pilgrims, say 7 or 8 pilgrims per day as a minimum. In my last CF, in February 2018, we were 8 pilgrims in Roncesvalles. I really loved that Camino. We never had a problem finding an albergue (we took the precaution of checking every day which albergues were open).

Would read this article. 🙏

You might want to read this thread which says that about 95 % of the albergues starting from SJPdP (Espinal - Zubiri - Larrassoaña - Pamplona) will probably not start to open at July

Would read this article. 🙏

First of all, I would like to underline that EVERYTHING I said in my previous post and EVERYTHING I mention here are just my opinions on how the situation will evolve. Also, with such a rapid evolution, I think it is mandatory to verify what reality is like before starting a new Camino.

Now, let´s go to my opinios and to what I plan to do:
  • I think Edith and Serge's opinion in their article is a little too pessimistic. However, it is clear that, at least initially, most albergues will remain closed, not so much because of the new regulations but because of the lack of pilgrims. What's the point of opening a private albergue when the Camino is empty? Let's say a situation similar to what happens every winter, but more extreme.
  • Even if this figure of 95% of closed albergues were correct, the supply will exceed the demand. The problem will be where are the albergues that are open. There are some very few stages that are more or less mandatory, without many alternatives. One of them is SJPdP - Roncesvalles (really this is the only one I can think about). You need to find albergues every X km every day (in my case X = 25/35 km). After Roncesvalles this becomes easier since you have towns every few kilometers. Also, as you move towards Santiago, the number of pilgrims will increase, which will encourage the opening of more albergues. In summary, I think that the critical sector will be SJPdP - Pamplona and more especially SJPdP - Roncesvalles. I really think that after Pamplona the situation will be much easier.
Now what I plan to do:
  • My intention is to start at SJPdP around July 15.
  • One week before that I will phone Roncesvalles to find out if they are open and SJPdP to see if they have an updated list of open albergues.
    • In case Roncesvalles is open, I will phone the albergues in the towns that could become the end of one stage to make sure of what the stages might be like during for first 7/10 days. (no reservations)
    • In case Roncesvalles is closed, I will do the same, but starting in Pamplona.
  • If I discovered that I have open albergues, I will start in SJPdP😁 or in Pamplona😀 if Roncesvalles is closed. If I find that there are too many gaps forcing me to walk too long stages, I will postpone the Camino😪.
As you can see, even if I am quite optimistic, I am still planning to carefully check how reality is like before starting the Camino. It is clear that in my case, living in Spain, I do not need to buy plane tickets, in advance, etc. which makes it much easier to adapt to the evolution of the situation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Several new threads have been opened by people who are starting to plan Caminos in Spain after July 1. Gradually some light will be shed on the situation, but things are still very uncertain and changeable. We prefer not to have a multitude of new threads asking the same questions, so some threads have been merged here.

Please try to provide specific information about the current situation on the Camino, and avoid lecturing/criticizing people for having hopes or plans. Also, the COVID Round 7 thread is still the best place for general discussion about Covid and the travel restrictions around the world.
THE CAMINO IS NOT OPEN.
I live on the Camino near Portomarin and have been surprised to see pilgrims in the last few days. Under present lockdown rules it is illegal to move from one province to another. Portomarin is in Lugo province but between Palais De Rei and Melide one enters A'Coruna province and then must enter Santiago province. It is also illegal to enter Spain in the first place - since lockdown the borders are closed. Whilst, from next Monday 8 June it will be legal for LOCAL people to move within Galicia, but it will not be legal to enter from other states, such as Asturias or Castilla Leon.

THE CAMINO IS NOT OPEN.
I live on the Camino near Portomarin and have been surprised to see pilgrims in the last few days. Under present lockdown rules it is illegal to move from one province to another. Portomarin is in Lugo province but between Palais De Rei and Melide one enters A'Coruna province and then must enter Santiago province. It is also illegal to enter Spain in the first place - since lockdown the borders are closed. Whilst, from next Monday 8 June it will be legal for LOCAL people to move within Galicia, but it will not be legal to enter from other states, such as Asturias or Castilla Leon.

I also live on the Camino and have an albergue. My neighbor said that he saw a pilgrim pass by yesterday. Keep in mind, we are still in Phase 1! Yes, it is illegal but some believe that they are exempt. Sigh :confused:

Just to add to the above, i am Facebook friends with the owners of an Albergue in Sarria,they took the opportunity in the last week to walk from O Cebreiro to the edge of Lugo province on the Camino Frances,they used two cars, they would both drive to the finish for the day, then they would drive in the other car to the start. They said the days were beautiful with just the sounds of nature, they saw very few people, but those that did gave welcomes apart from 1 who got angry with them and accused them of coming from Madrid. I know amongst Camigo friends in Barcelona and Santiago they have been out walking in the last week, preparing themselves for when the Camino opens. What these people are doing might not explain what other people are on the Camino are doing but unless you definitely know, then you don't.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is my understanding that when Spain opens up to tourists it will be for Europeans and overseas or other people will not be allowed in until possibly Christmas. I had planned a Camino in Sept/Oct but will postpone, obviously, until next year. I have no interest in the Frances as I found the part I did from Leon on to be boring and too crowded. I prefer the Norte and am planning the second half of the Norte, Ruta do Mar, Ingles and Finisterre/Muxia, I hope April/May although weather is probably not as good as in the fall. Perhaps by then I can do the San Salvador and Primitivo. All we can do is hope for the best, but I believe it will be a long time before albergues can prepare.

It is my understanding that when Spain opens up to tourists it will be for Europeans and overseas or other people will not be allowed in until possibly Christmas.

According to this article from yesterday (in Spanish), Spain is looking at the possibility of allowing non-EU residents in. Factors include whether those countries meet certain health conditions and whether they reciprocate.

Se estudia la posibilidad de abrir rutas seguras con países de fuera de la UE que tengan condiciones epidemiológicas adecuadas y basándose en criterios de reciprocidad, cuya determinación estará en manos del Centro Europeo de Control de Enfermedades.

Today supposed to be my first day on CF. I was disappointed when I realized I had to cancelled/postponed all the plans I made for the last 18 months. I let go some tears when I put away my bag and walking sticks but I will keep using my walking shoes and look forward to June 2021 instead, I did not cancelled my air-ticket until two weeks ago, I was being hopeful.
I have a husband, kids and 70 year old mom whom I don't want to put at risk by bringing some unwanted virus home or just put them through the worried of me being out there in these uncertain times. My grandma always said "There is more time than life, if you don't get it done in this life then try it on the next one".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I were going to do exactly your route starting on June 21st....... maybe we’ll meet next year. Here in Canada, Johnny Walker is Scotch. ;)
1591308549606.jpeg

I've planning for april/may 2021, hopeful possible :)
Stay safe

I dont know when we will be able to ravel back either - a lot of it depends on being able to get flights, vaccine or suitable treatment and our finances. But we will get there eventually. I was planning a Baztan, Frances, Invierno. Has anyone done that?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
She's the first pilgrim I've seen in more than 5 months.
I asked if I could take her photograph and she agreed. I posted it on my FB page and it prompted a question from someone about the chances of a September Camino.
Anybody any thoughts ? I don't know.

I guess a September Camino will be no problem, if everything continues as it is going now. The spanish government is planning to reopen borders on July and surely it will be possible to cross province borders within Spain by the end of June.

With the Covid disaster I cancelled two weeks in the camino in the months of April and May, but now I've already booked lodgings for a August Camino with no problem. It's still difficult to reserve transport to/from Santiago as there's still a few number of flights/trains scheduled, but I hope in the next weeks the offer will increase significantly.

As I only have ten days (and I love ending in Santiago) I'm planning a double Camino. I'll depart right fom my family summer holiday's home in Bueu (near Pontevedra) and will do the Portuguese Way following the beautiful Camino Espiritual. After reaching Santiago I'll transfer to Sarria and will do the five final stages of the Camino Frances.

t's not a very usual Camino but it will allow me to reach Santiago and present my respect and my thanks to the Apostle twice, as I usually do every year with longer distances than this year.

To prepare it during the days we couldn't exit from our home I've been training in my garage. I live in a big apartment building in Madrid and the garage has six big floors, so each time I made the six floors down and up it was almost 1 kilometer. Boring, but effective.... As a result I can now tell by heart all the plate numbers of the vehicles of my neighbors¡¡¡

I hope Covid will be almost a passed nightmare by August... I miss the Camino so much¡¡¡

I asked if I could take her photograph and she agreed. I posted it on my FB page and it prompted a question from someone about the chances of a September Camino.
To be in "legal" terms she must be resident in the province of A Coruña where Santiago and Muxia are located.
Maybe next week , movements among the 4 Galician provinces will be allowed and therefore all the last 100 kms but only for residents in Galicia.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I should have been arriving in St Jean Pied De Port tomorrow ready to start walking on Sunday. That’s obviously not happening now. I have rebooked flights and now plan to start walking on 30 August. I have booked beds in St Jean, Orisson, Roncesvalles and Zubiri and will decide from there whether to keep booking in advance or take my chances on finding a bed.

My flights are set for July 24th to arrive in Madrid. My Plan is to walk the Madrid route and pick up the Camino Frances to continue on to Santiago. I've planned 55 days for this Camino (I did it in 2017 from SJPDP to Santiago in 42 days). From Santiago I'll revisit Ronda and then Back to Madrid. Really (Fingers Crossed) praying these dates work!

I've planned a 3-week trip to Spain for December to hopefully attend a family function. I'll have a free week while there and hope to spend it on the Camino. It's nice to have something to plan and look forward to, but I know it's way too early to write those plans in stone.

Plan A was April 2020, Plan B Dec 2020, and Plan C will be sometime in 2021!
Hey Jcat even though I am a Yankee fan I thought you would get a smile from my Dad who was a die hard baseball (and as am I football) Giant fan. The second through fifth dates my parents went on were to the Polo Grounds to see the Giants. My aunt was living with my parents after they got married. They lived in The Bronx (proud to be born and bred there).
My aunt started dating a guy from Brooklyn. Of course a Dodger fan.
My dad wouldn’t let him in the house for months until my mother threatened to throw him out a window. They got married and for the next 40 years they argued. I think his proudest moment was not the birth of me or my brother but of seeing either Willie Mays’ first Or second home game and telling my mom, “Esther, that kid is going to be something special”. I must have heard him say that a thousand times and then say just ask Esther if you don’t believe me. Go Yanks!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just to add to the above, i am Facebook friends with the owners of an Albergue in Sarria,they took the opportunity in the last week to walk from O Cebreiro to the edge of Lugo province on the Camino Frances,they used two cars, they would both drive to the finish for the day, then they would drive in the other car to the start. They said the days were beautiful with just the sounds of nature, they saw very few people, but those that did gave welcomes apart from 1 who got angry with them and accused them of coming from Madrid. I know amongst Camigo friends in Barcelona and Santiago they have been out walking in the last week, preparing themselves for when the Camino opens. What these people are doing might not explain what other people are on the Camino are doing but unless you definitely know, then you don't.
The reality is that when people in a small village see a pilgrim they don't know where they are from BUT they are afraid they are bringing the virus to them, AND they are angry because of that. I don't know if the Camino will ever be like when I walked 6 years ago and felt so welcome by locals that I came back to live. Whilst we do not know where pilgrims have come from, pilgrims also have no knowledge of the lives of the locals (my neighbour, for example, has endured 6 months of chemotherapy and now radiation treatment).
The local media are also painting a dim picture of winter and a spike in the virus and all health staff have been ordered to take leave before September as there will be none later. The media in Galicia as also pointing out that because we had low numbers of Corona Virus cases compared to other states, particularly Madrid, BUT that leaves a community with low immunity. So, yes there is fear of pilgrims and sadly pilgrims will not feel so welcome as they did in pre-corona times.

The reality is that when people in a small village see a pilgrim they don't know where they are from BUT they are afraid they are bringing the virus to them, AND they are angry because of that. I don't know if the Camino will ever be like when I walked 6 years ago and felt so welcome by locals that I came back to live. Whilst we do not know where pilgrims have come from, pilgrims also have no knowledge of the lives of the locals (my neighbour, for example, has endured 6 months of chemotherapy and now radiation treatment).
The local media are also painting a dim picture of winter and a spike in the virus and all health staff have been ordered to take leave before September as there will be none later. The media in Galicia as also pointing out that because we had low numbers of Corona Virus cases compared to other states, particularly Madrid, BUT that leaves a community with low immunity. So, yes there is fear of pilgrims and sadly pilgrims will not feel so welcome as they did in pre-corona times.

Hi wasn't even sure if I should reply to this post, I can hear the uncertainty and fear you have for the people around you and my words might sound hollow in my wish to be back on the Camino.
I hope that you, your neighbours, family and loved ones keep safe. Lots of hugs.
Mike

Last edited:
Does anyone know the plans that Spain or the Catholic church has on testing centers along the Frances route. In the states, there are many free centers that one could go to. If there is a high cost involved, 20-30 euros each test, I'm afraid many of the younger generation that are on a fixed budget may decide to postpone or not get tested at all if small symtoms evolve and blame it on exhaustion or something else, which would put the rest of us at risk. I hope the powers that be have thought this part through. Otherwise, one big outbreak in the middle of the Camino will send a lot of people scurrying away fast, including me.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The only possible requirement for testing may be as a condition for entering Spain. Iceland is implementing such a system and there is talk that airlines may require it of passengers.

The potentials for where and how to be tested as an 'entering; tourist, are being discussed. There are a few options for the aurhorities to decide on, should they choose to go this route. The only standard requirement in all discussions seems to be that for the antibody quick testing, the test results can't be more than 72 hours old from the time the test was taken.

I have not read of any information about tourists, in any country that opens, being required to have periodic COVID-19 tests during their stays.

Is this speculation, or is this based on something actually being discussed by Spanish authorities?

Ho hum. Back on the Hamster wheel. I think it's entirely possible to do that part of the Camino that's in your own country if you live in à country that has a Saint James Pilgrimage route. I've got a complicated plan involving a bike, a camper van, a tent, and a husband that can't drive the van. Dogsitters living in our guest house, new born chicks, cats, dogs and donkeys to keep them busy.
At least that should get me to see both southbound and northbound routes, with able opportunities for getting lost in both directions. Husband will have ample opportunities for reading while sitting on campsites.
Provisional departure date is next Saturday, as that seems to be when the campsites are (mostly) opening. Husband preferred not to be sitting in car parks. Strange chap. I have no idea how far I will get on this hybrid Camino, but starting from home I plan on backtracking to Chatellerault, then south through Angouleme and onwards towards Pau.
I think it's unlikely I'll get as far as the Spanish border, but in any case my passport is still sitting in an office somewhere in the UK being renewed. Driving licence might not be good enough this year. I wonder if the authorities will be using country of residence or nationality for deciding admittance?

Well guess what? I'm actually on a Camino. On the way to Poitiers, then to Chatellerault checking route options before heading south on the Tours route variant. It's raining. Life is almost normal.
How do I add "live from the Camino" tag, please?

Well guess what? I'm actually on a Camino. On the way to Poitiers, then to Chatellerault checking route options before heading south on the Tours route variant. It's raining. Life is almost normal.
How do I add "live from the Camino" tag, please?
Hi Barbara
I think this post is under sub heading ‘Covid & Camino’ and as such can’t also have ‘live tag’ /I could be wrong tho.
Why don’t you start a ‘new’ thread in the camino sub forum you’re walking on and at creation time is where you add ‘live from camino ‘. When you create a thread there is a ‘drop down box’ on left of thread title - Click on that and select ‘live from camino ‘ highlighted in yellow.

Lucky you.
Enjoy and buen camino

Thank you, OzAnnie... I'll try that

The only possible requirement for testing may be as a condition for entering Spain. Iceland is implementing such a system and there is talk that airlines may require it of passengers.

The potentials for where and how to be tested as an 'entering; tourist, are being discussed. There are a few options for the aurhorities to decide on, should they choose to go this route. The only standard requirement in all discussions seems to be that for the antibody quick testing, the test results can't be more than 72 hours old from the time the test was taken.

I have not read of any information about tourists, in any country that opens, being required to have periodic COVID-19 tests during their stays.

Is this speculation, or is this based on something actually being discussed by Spanish authorities?
The Greek government considered ( I think actually wanted to impose) pre-arrival testing, but they couldn't come to a European agreement and don't want to damage tourism (because in some countries it will be impossible to get the test within 72 hours of travel).
They have been testing on arrival, and will continue this for countries not on the approved tourism list. There will also be some testing of people from approved countries, if I understand correctly.
I don't know about Spain, but the Greek government is doing really quick testing, so if you fall ill on holiday, they aim for results within 6 hours.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Greek government considered ( I think actually wanted to impose) pre-arrival testing, but they couldn't come to a European agreement and don't want to damage tourism (because in some countries it will be impossible to get the test within 72 hours of travel).
They have been testing on arrival, and will continue this for countries not on the approved tourism list. There will also be some testing of people from approved countries, if I understand correctly.
I don't know about Spain, but the Greek government is doing really quick testing, so if you fall ill on holiday, they aim for results within 6 hours.

It sounds like what Iceland is looking at. Quick Testing format of antibody screening will be offered (at the travelers expense) in a airport terminal area if the arriving passenger does not have certified and dated proof of taking a test before their departure.

I am not surprised at how up in the air plans are for implementing testing. Making sure the test kit used is accurate enough for antibody testing (sensitivity AND specificity), and still give a fast turnaround for results, is one part of the issue; and there are really not a lot of choices available from which to choose.

Then there is the ability to actually GET testing kits that are still limited in availability. That will change as manufacturing ramps up, but between medical services and patient and public health needs for the tests, and the travel industry, there is and will be lots of demand.

The next part is the hard part, at least in my mind. . . 'how'. It is the logistical issue: how do you provide testing for herds of arriving passengers? Think Madrid or Frankfurt or Charles de Gaulle. Some things quickly come to mind:
  • Where do the passengers go for the test?
  • How can they be situated while waiting for test results (2 to 3 hours) with current test kits. Long hours in the air, now followed by more waiting.
  • What about the massive backlog of unrecovered luggage offloaded waiting for pickup by tested passengers, along with and the constant baggage arrivals for domestic AND international flights?
  • How will Border Control and Customs deal with this. ETC
  • Bathrooms, food, drink?
  • How to do the above with 'social distancing' and other PPP?
  • Sports or News or Soap Operas? Grumpy passengers vs TV.
Most of the above will depend on passengers who did not test prior to departure. So it is likely that the logistics sort themselves. . . at least after the initial adjustment period of the New Tourism Norm.

You want to avoid being part of a herd of cattle in a pen? (Well, ummmm, decreasing the number of times one is Cattle in a Pen, anyway). I suspect that, like myself, many will be darned sure to have the test done at home prior to heading to the airport.

I found this bed insert that states in the catalog that it kills fungus, bacteria, and viruses. Those of you planning a Camino may want to check this out.

It costs 99.95 dollars. It says that you can wash it many times and it continues to work. For myself, I have one nagging question, but at my age, 66, it doesn't carry to much weight but younger people my want to keep thinking about it. If it kills all these different bugs and doesn't wash out, what does it do to you if it's on your skin for months?

Last edited:
I found this bed insert that states in the catalog that it kills fungus, bacteria, and viruses. Those of you planning a Camino may want to check this out.

It costs 99.95 dollars. It says that you can wash it many times and it continues to work. For myself, I have one nagging question, but at my age, 66, it doesn't carry to much weight but younger people my want to keep thinking about it. If it kills all these different bugs and doesn't wash out, what does it do to you if it's on your skin for months?
It doesn't say what this magic fabric is that it's made of, but I highly doubt that it works as promised. If it did it would be a scientific breakthrough!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It doesn't say what this magic fabric is that it's made of, but I highly doubt that it works as promised. If it did it would be a scientific breakthrough!
Hi trecile
This is a high end company in the states. I've bought from them in the past and their stuff is expensive but you get what you pay for most times. It could also help stop bed bugs. They are high quality and something 99.95 is cheap for them. I was going to pay about the same for a high end silk liner for a sleeping bag that stops bed bugs. If I make it, I will be using this. Still got a couple of medical hurdles otherwise shooting for September. The flight from BOS to Madrid is about 550.00 but coming home in November is 140.00 with free checked bag. Not to bad. Take care. Dan

Hi trecile
This is a high end company in the states. I've bought from them in the past and their stuff is expensive but you get what you pay for most times. It could also help stop bed bugs. They are high quality and something 99.95 is cheap for them. I was going to pay about the same for a high end silk liner for a sleeping bag that stops bed bugs. If I make it, I will be using this. Still got a couple of medical hurdles otherwise shooting for September. The flight from BOS to Madrid is about 550.00 but coming home in November is 140.00 with free checked bag. Not to bad. Take care. Dan
I'm just saying, that if this fabric is so miraculous, why aren't they making Covid resistant masks out of it? And BTW, silk liners do not stop bedbugs, no matter how much you pay for them.

a high end silk liner for a sleeping bag that stops bed bugs
silk liners do not stop bedbugs,
Well, to clarify - Bed bugs cannot crawl through, or eat their way through, ANY finely woven fabric. They come through the openings. Wrapping yourself in any fabric cocoon that has good seams, will stop all the bedbugs except those that bite your exposed parts or that crawl in through the openings. The main attraction of silk is that it is strong and lightweight, not that it has any special anti-bedbug properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.