• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portable Charger

BarbC

Time of past OR future Camino
Vigo to SDC - Sept. 2023, Porto to Vigo - 2024
We need to take a portable charger for our IPhone on our Camino in Sept. We bought one on Amazon but it's too heavy and bulky - 1 pound. Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand that isn't too heavy? Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We need to take a portable charger for our IPhone on our Camino in Sept. We bought one on Amazon but it's too heavy and bulky - 1 pound. Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand that isn't too heavy? Thanks!
What did you order? A small nuclear plant? Never heard of anything that heavy!

Go for a 5000-10.000mAh size. But: do you really need it? I used mine just a single time on my CF in 2019. The next wall outlet is just waiting for you in your Albergue! Many Albergues do have outlets with built in USB-Ports nowadays. Or do you wish to set up a tent?

Get an outlet-multiplier instead! That was the best and most helpful item I brought to my CF!

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Never heard of anything that heavy!
Well, now you have!

Some people will need a portable charger because their phone batteries are old and don't last long enough for a full day, with some reserve. I never travel on the camino without one, especially when using a GPS app for navigation. On some routes, the GPS app is important for my safety and comfort.

I agree that a 5000-10.000mAh size should be plenty. No matter what the brand, the weight is directly related to the capacity, and these ones will likely be in the 100-200 g range. (One pound = 454 g).

Go for a 5000-10.000mAh size. But: do you really need it? I used mine just a single time on my CF in 2019. The next wall outlet is just waiting for you in your Albergue! Many Albergues do have outlets with built in USB-Ports nowadays. Or do you wish to set up a tent?

Get an outlet-multiplier instead! That was the best and most helpful item I brought to my CF!

Buen Camino!
thanks for the input - BUT we are going to be using the phone as we walk - for trail apps and other shit along the way - so we will need to charge it. I'm pretty sure I know how to plug my phone in at my hotel -

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, now you have!

Some people will need a portable charger because their phone batteries are old and don't last long enough for a full day, with some reserve. I never travel on the camino without one, especially when using a GPS app for navigation. On some routes, the GPS app is important for my safety and comfort.

I agree that a 5000-10.000mAh size should be plenty. No matter what the brand, the weight is directly related to the capacity, and these ones will likely be in the 100-200 g range. (One pound = 454 g).
Thanks - I'm just gonna stop asking questions - because people just feel they have to tell you that they don't need what I need because their habits are not my habits. YES I'm fully aware about wall sockets when I get to my destination. Thank you for your answer - I'm looking into a lighter version on Amazon.

I have the Android version of this one. It's slim, weighs about 4 ounces, and will give my phone phone a full charge.

Look for one with about a 5000 mAh capacity - anything more is overkill - and overweight.
Thanks - looks good

My solution was to bring one of Apple’s magasafe batteries. Super small and light, the trick was to slap it on the phone and charge at night via the battery. The next day you use up the battery first (about the equivalent of 60% charge). Then you use up the phone’s battery. All with one cable and one plug. For me, that was better than lugging a heavy battery and having to charge two things at night.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
thanks for the input - BUT we are going to be using the phone as we walk - for trail apps and other shit along the way - so we will need to charge it. I'm pretty sure I know how to plug my phone in at my hotel -
Unless your phone uses its battery really fast you may find that you only need to use the power bank occasionally. I walked 900+ km over 40+ days, and I can count on one hand how many times I needed to use my power bank - but I was glad that I had it. And I do use my phone quite a bit while walking, including tracking my walk for a couple of days with Wikiloc.

Unless your phone uses its battery really fast you may find that you only need to use the power bank occasionally. I walked 900+ km over 40+ days, and I can count on one hand how many times I needed to use my power bank - but I was glad that I had it. And I do use my phone quite a bit while walking, including tracking my walk for a couple of days with Wikiloc.
What phone do you have?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, don't be offended by my answer. Pardon me, if my reply was to cynical.
Hope you will have a great time!

Thanks - I'm just gonna stop asking questions - because people just feel they have to tell you that they don't need what I need because their habits are not my habits. YES I'm fully aware about wall sockets when I get to my destination. Thank you for your answer - I'm looking into a lighter version on Amazon.
Anker make a full line of chargers, both plug in and portable (aka battery packs). Read the fine print on any charger to ensure it can handle 110-240 VAC at 50-60 Hz. That means it can be used in any country.

You just need to ensure that you have a suitable plug adapter to convert the US/CN standard two vertical flat prongs to two round, pin-shaped prongs. This is called a Type C or Schuko pin configuration. It fits both grounded and ungrounded outlets in Europe.

These are available inexpensively on Amazon, globally. I usually by them 10 at a time, because they are always going walkabout on me. I also carry a spare to give to another pilgrim you did not get the memo.

You can buy direct from Anker.com, or go to Amazon, as I did.

Here is the charger I use:

Note: it can charge multiple USB A or USB C devices at the same time. This will endear you to others if wall outlets are limited.

Here is the pin adapter I use:

Here is the portable battery charger pack I use:

Hope this helps,

Tom

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I brought a tiny (keychain sized) charger for my older iphone and wasn’t happy with the level of charge I was getting (good enough for an emergency but frustrating otherwise). I ended up buying a Maxam 5000mAh powerbank at a phone store in Spain for about €16. It gave me two charges on the phone before needing to be recharged. It did NOT come with a power cord; fortunately the little cord that came with my keychain sized charger worked with it. It weighs 125grams (about 4-1/4oz).

Last edited:
If you just want a phone charger for the Camino, I would just buy a new lightweight one at a phone store once you're in Spain, so you don't have to mess around with different plugs. I found the no-name phone stores, give you better service and prices, as opposed to something like Vodafone.

For myself, I used this ANKER hybrid charger and battery bank. So I only needed one item. I left my regular charger at home.

It has two USB ports to charge from and also a micro USB input port if you want to plug it into something else (like someone else's multi-charger) to charge it instead of a wall.

6.6 oz. or 186g.

Last edited:
5000mAh refers to the capacity of battery.
Buy this kind of charger: 5V and 1000mA. Weight 31g =1,1 oz.
Dimensions 50 x 20 x 36 mm plus taps.

Attachments

• Laturi.jpg
    Laturi.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 14
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I brought the Nitecore Gen 2 NB 10000 Ultra Slim charger and was glad I did. Even with a new model iPhone, I take a lot of pictures and used Camino apps and several days I found myself needing to charge my phone; just for peace of mind I was glad I had it. It weighs just 150 grams. I purchased it directly from the Nitecore store but it is also available on Amazon. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I brought the Nitecore Gen 2 NB 10000 Ultra Slim charger and was glad I did. Even with a new model iPhone, I take a lot of pictures and used Camino apps and several days I found myself needing to charge my phone; just for peace of mind I was glad I had it. It weighs just 150 grams. I purchased it directly from the Nitecore store but it is also available on Amazon. Buen Camino!

This is the one used by a lot of hikers. Very light, quick charging and reliable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I might’ve missed it on the website-do you need a converter or just an adapter for this charger when traveling in Europe?

I might’ve missed it on the website-do you need a converter or just an adapter for this charger when traveling in Europe?
Just an adapter. Any EU plugged unit will do the job. I wouldn’t bother with an adapter unless you are bringing several items that need charging. I’d buy an EU adapter with a couple usb plugs. The GaN ones are good as they are smaller but have the same output as traditional ones

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just a note that various posts are referring to different accessories.
  • Charger - It plugs into the wall socket and you normally use it to charge your phone by connecting your phone with a USB cable.
  • (Plug)Adapter - North American wall outlets have 2 flat pins but European outlets have 2 round ones, so you need this adapter to plug your charger into a European outlet. Tape the adapter onto your charger with duct tape because it is VERY easy to forget and leave in the wall. This is not a voltage converter. (Or, you can buy a European charger to use, on your "North American" phone; the only difference is the shape of the pins.)
  • Voltage converter - You probably do not need this, if you are taking only modern electronic devices, which are designed for the full voltage range (100-240V) from North American to European . You might need a converter for a hair dryer or other electrical device since the higher European voltage could fry it. Check on the device's label.
  • Battery "pack" - This is a spare/portable battery that you can connect to your phone with a cable and use when your phone battery runs down. This can be charged in the same way as your phone, although it might need its own cable for charging, if the ends are different from your phone's cable. It is less valuable that your phone, so less of a security risk if left unattended.
Please let me know if I have made any mistakes. I am certainly not an electronics/electrical expert!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Charger - It plugs into the wall socket and you normally use it to charge your phone by connecting your phone with a USB cable.
  • Adapter - North American wall outlets have 2 flat pins but European outlets have 2 round ones, so you need this adapter to plug your charger into a European outlet. Tape the adapter onto your charger with duct tape because it is VERY easy to forget and leave in the wall. This is not a voltage converter. (Or, you can buy a European charger to use, on your "North American" phone; the only difference is the shape of the pins.)
  • Voltage converter - You probably do not need this, if you are taking only modern electronic devices, which are designed for the full voltage range (100-240V) from North American to European . You might need a converter for a hair dryer or other electrical device since the higher European voltage could fry it. Check on the device's label.
  • Battery "pack" - This is a spare/portable battery that you can connect to your phone with a cable and use when your phone battery runs down. This can be charged in the same way as your phone, although it might need its own cable for charging, if the ends are different from your phone's cable. It is less valuable that your phone, so less of a security risk if left unattended.
Please let me know if I have made any mistakes. I am certainly not an electronics/electrical expert!
What would I do without you???? You should be assigned all questions regarding tech so those like myself have a fighting chance on whether we should get something someone asks or suggests. As I walk more and more isolated caminos and my Iphone battery wears down a power pack is now something I will always bring. Last year on the Aragones somewhere between Monreal and Puente La Reina I was completely blank and oblivious to my surroundings as I had not encountered anyone for a few days. I realized I was completely lost and there were little farm road dirt tracks going in every which direction. I opened my buen camino app to the gps and saw I had a pretty winding way back to the camino. I had only about 7% power. Got back on the camino at about 1%. If I had to go much further it would have been a real drag trying to find my way. I did not see any farmer or any person the whole time I was trying to get back to the camino. So from now on a power pack will be in my bag!!!

You should be assigned all questions regarding tech so those like myself have a fighting chance on whether we should get something someone asks or suggests.
I have just enough knowledge to know if I understand the matter and then express it. I also have enough confusion to identify with the confused.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have a somewhat different question I think…have an iPhone 14. On my last Camino had my Apple MagSafe battery pack which came in very handy while walking more than once. In the evening was able to recharge MagSafe battery pack…think it’s good for a 60% or so iPhone 14 one time recharge.

Considering (ok a long shot) a trek which would be through an Adventure Company…9 days walking…tent setup…no electrical hookups.

Understand most people use their phones in airplane mode only taking pictures. MagSafe battery pack of limited use in this walk. My question is…are there battery packs that can be relied on to recharge an IPhone 14 multiple times? If yes any recommendations? Weight would be less of an issue given baggage carry by porters. Any thoughts appreciated!

are there battery packs that can be relied on to recharge an IPhone 14 multiple times? If yes any recommendations? Weight would be less of an issue given baggage carry by porters. Any thoughts appreciated!
Yes there are battery packs that can recharge a phone multiple times. Find out how much your IPhone 14 takes, and then compare with the portable battery pack. Higher mAh means more charging. Or you could consider taking multiple battery packs. Ask the Adventure Company what they suggest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Considering (ok a long shot) a trek which would be through an Adventure Company…9 days walking…tent setup…no electrical hookups.
For the Camino I don't think that they are worthwhile, but for this kind of trek you might want to consider a solar charged battery pack that you could carry while you walk plus a higher mAh battery pack in your luggage.

For the Camino I don't think that they are worthwhile, but for this kind of trek you might want to consider a solar charged battery pack that you could carry while you walk plus a higher mAh battery pack in your luggage.
Many thanks Trecile for both replies…most helpful!

If your phone uses batteries (some don't), then the other possibility is to carry a second battery. Most are really light and cost less than a powerbank.

On my last camino I carried a 5000mAh powerbank that was more than ideal for what i needed. Mostly used to charge the phone while I was listening to music.

The solar chargers that @trecile mentioned are really good for trekking and anything offgrid. I used to use one when i went off grid for a week while walking. The advantage they give you is the ability to charge as long as you have light. They don't tend to die like batteries in power banks. If you have light, they will charge on some level.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a somewhat different question I think…have an iPhone 14. On my last Camino had my Apple MagSafe battery pack which came in very handy while walking more than once. In the evening was able to recharge MagSafe battery pack…think it’s good for a 60% or so iPhone 14 one time recharge.

Understand most people use their phones in airplane mode only taking pictures. MagSafe battery pack of limited use in this walk. My question is…are there battery packs that can be relied on to recharge an IPhone 14 multiple times? If yes any recommendations? Weight would be less of an issue given baggage carry by porters. Any thoughts appreciated!
iPhone 14 has a 4300mAh battery. A 20000mAh battery pack would give you just over 4 full recharges and this is generally the largest you can take on the plane (has to be in your carryon for the flight). So if you put the phone in Airplane mode and only use it for occasional photos it should last at least a full day (the battery on the 14 is remarkable) so you should get 6 days out of it starting with a fully charged phone. You could bring the MagSafe charger and use the battery pack to charge that. That will give you a bit of a daily safety net.

Buen Camino!
I have heard that built-in USB ports can be a security issue. I have been warned to take an EU adapter and plug it into a regular wall outlet, then plug my USB charger unit into that. I have purchased a fast charger for my iPhone 14. It will have a half-full charge within 30 minutes. This is great because I bought a dual USB-C power adapter 35W -- which will charge both iPhone and Apple Watch. It is small: 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 1. For a single, they suggest at least a 20W power adaptor for a single USB-C port. There is a heft to the 35W, but it is small in size.

I have heard that built-in USB ports can be a security issue. I have been warned to take an EU adapter and plug it into a regular wall outlet, then plug my USB charger unit into that. I have purchased a fast charger for my iPhone 14. It will have a half-full charge within 30 minutes. This is great because I bought a dual USB-C power adapter 35W -- which will charge both iPhone and Apple Watch. It is small: 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 1. For a single, they suggest at least a 20W power adaptor for a single USB-C port. There is a heft to the 35W, but it is small in size.
Yes, I read that one should not use the power stations (like in airports) due to security concerns. I have always plugged directly into a wall outlet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've used both solar chargers and powerbanks on the Camino and found them to be unnecessary, unless your device can't hold much of a charge that is (and also a bit weighty). Last time around I took a 65W GaN charger similar to this https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Charger-GaNPrime-Compact-Foldable/dp/B09W2JP6SM/?tag=santiagodec0b-20
Small, light and charges 3 devices FAST. Can replace your laptop power brick too, if you're inclined to take a laptop.
Realize uncletim already posted about GaN chargers, just wanted to add my support to that post.

I've used both solar chargers and powerbanks on the Camino and found them to be unnecessary, unless your device can't hold much of a charge that is (and also a bit weighty). Last time around I took a 65W GaN charger similar to this https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Charger-GaNPrime-Compact-Foldable/dp/B09W2JP6SM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2DNX08TZWWD03&keywords=GaN+charger&qid=1688387971&sprefix=gan+charger,aps,84&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.b06bdbbe-20fd-4ebc-88cf-fa04f1ca0da8
Small, light and charges 3 devices FAST. Can replace your laptop power brick too, if you're inclined to take a laptop.
Realize uncletim already posted about GaN chargers, just wanted to add my support to that post.
Agreed on Camino walks I found my MagSafe Apple power bank to be perfect. Toying with a 9 day trek to Machu Picchu as a possibility and there will be no way to charge a phone during trek. Company carries gear…I would just have a daypack so weight not as crucial.

Idea of a solar powered power charger has appeal with maybe backup of a power bank. Just iPhone use…main reason I am looking at this is I could survive without iPhone use other than pictures…but my Camino buddy is a lawyer and being off the grid and away from young family could kaibosh this long shot idea.

My family well they don’t think talking to me every day is at all necessary 😂

Toying with a 9 day trek to Machu Picchu as a possibility and there will be no way to charge a phone during trek.
Off-topic alert.

What a wonderful idea! When my son graduated from college, many years ago, we did one of these treks. So different from a Camino but oh so wonderful! Since we were going to travel so many miles to get there, I added on another trek, this one to a place called Choquequirao, where there is (or was) no access other than on foot. I was motivated by a NYT article.

It may be a stretch to call Choquequirao the ”other Macchu Pichu” but it was pretty spectacular. I see there are many companies offering treks there now, but it is a nice 3 or 4 day addition. I figured the marginal cost was not exorbitant.

If you are planning a 9 day trek, your itinerary must include some destinations other than Machu Picchu - would love to see it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
  • (Plug)Adapter - North American wall outlets have 2 flat pins but European outlets have 2 round ones, so you need this adapter to plug your charger into a European outlet. Tape the adapter onto your charger with duct tape because it is VERY easy to forget and leave in the wall. This is not a voltage converter. (Or, you can buy a European charger to use, on your "North American" phone; the only difference is the shape of the pins.)
C clearly, thank you for the definitions of sometimes misunderstood terms. I see no mistakes and would like to add a couple points:

Battery "pack" might also be called a power bank or a portable charger (as opposed to wall charger) by some manufacturers. Technically a battery is one of more cells connected electrically. A power bank contains one or more cells plus inlet/outlet ports, electronic circuitry to regulate charging and output, protective circuitry to prevent overheating and overloading. Some have indicator lights to show charge level. Some have a flashlight built in.

The higher quality power banks will have higher quality batteries and related circuitry, may last longer and probably cost more than cheapies

Most power banks over 5000 mAh have more than one cell.

The power bank will only last as long as its weakest cell, so consider 2 smaller units instead of one large, heavy expensive one if requirements exceed 20000 mAh.

All batteries will eventually lose their ability to be charged, so not only will your mobile phone require more frequent charging after a couple years, but your powerbank will also need to be charged more often. As the power bank capacity decreases, it will take longer to charge your phone, and it will not be able to charge your phone as many times as when new.

I was having the same problem as many on this post: my phone needed more and more frequent charging, so I started carrying a 10000 mAh powerbank instead of the 5000 I used on my first few caminos. This year I almost bought a new phone, but instead I bought a new $18 battery from Best Buy (I read horror stories of the Amazon knockoffs). Apple no longer makes the battery for my I-phone 6s. Now the phone usually lasts all day on camino taking photos, some video, apps, email, internet, occasional calls, etc. I will probably drop back to a 5000 mAh power bank on next camino to save a few ounces and space.

Off-topic alert.

What a wonderful idea! When my son graduated from college, many years ago, we did one of these treks. So different from a Camino but oh so wonderful! Since we were going to travel so many miles to get there, I added on another trek, this one to a place called Choquequirao, where there is (or was) no access other than on foot. I was motivated by a NYT article.

It may be a stretch to call Choquequirao the ”other Macchu Pichu” but it was pretty spectacular. I see there are many companies offering treks there now, but it is a nice 3 or 4 day addition. I figured the marginal cost was not exorbitant.

If you are planning a 9 day trek, your itinerary must include some destinations other than Machu Picchu - would love to see it.
OMG 😳 In 2014 in Roncesvalles my brother and I met a young guy from Brazil 🇧🇷 and we walked to Santiago de Compostela together. At that time we threw out Machu Picchu as a future possibility. In 2018 Camino Portuguese and 2022 Camino Primitivo walking with my Brazilian friend. Now fall 2024 we talked about another Camino…possibly the Invierno…however I did raise the Machu Picchu possibility.

Here is the link to the potential trek…I am sure it will cause you to smile peregrina2000! For now a bit of a long shot but man would I like to do this!

Small world!

Guy

https://www.keadventure.com/holidays/peru-trekking-choquequirao-machu-picchu

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The power bank will only last as long as its weakest cell, so consider 2 smaller units instead of one large, heavy expensive one if requirements exceed 20000 mAh.
Thanks for that information. That's not something that I knew or considered before

On my last camino I used my phone for navigation and it would run out of power if I didn't recharge it along the day's walk. I had two power bank batteries with me. I used a small thin rectangular one with a short built-in cable to recharge the phone while walking. It was very easy to hold the phone and power bank together; it was even easy to take pictures that way. The power bank was rated to be able to fully charge the phone but really it could only get it to 70%. Often times I would want to recharge my phone again when walking. I had a tricky way of doing this though. After my first recharge of my phone I would charge the small convenient power bank with the larger one. This would happen in my pack. That meant that my second phone charge when walking could be done with the smaller battery again. It was an inefficient way of moving power around but it made the use of the phone convenient.

In the quest to lighten my pack, I felt like the 10000mAh charger I had was just too heavy at about 202 grams. So I picked up this smaller guy. It seems like it’s got potential (haven’t had it all that long). It has a built-in lightning charger and a type C charging cord built in as well (so I can charge some of my other devices). It does seem to recharge itself from a type c charger quite quickly. Haven’t used it to charge my phone from a near zero battery, but it was well reviewed on Amazon. Also, according to my kitchen scale, it’s only about 98 grams - though it is only a 5000mAh charger. Good luck in your quest!

Here’s the link on Amazon:

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
iPhone 14 has a 4300mAh battery. A 20000mAh battery pack would give you just over 4 full recharges and this is generally the largest you can take on the plane (has to be in your carryon for the flight). So if you put the phone in Airplane mode and only use it for occasional photos it should last at least a full day (the battery on the 14 is remarkable) so you should get 6 days out of it starting with a fully charged phone. You could bring the MagSafe charger and use the battery pack to charge that. That will give you a bit of a daily safety net.
Doing a little research I found this solar charging battery pack highly recommended by a GearLab review. Heavy for everyday backpack use on a Camino but might be good considering most of the gear is handled by outfitter. Like the idea of using power bank to charge MagSafe for daypack use. Has solar charging capability but review isn’t to keen here. 25000mAh capacity so might be an issue as carryon as you suggest.

Just curious as to what your thoughts would be on this possible solution…many thanks.

Guy

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/portable-solar-charger/oeuudd-25000mah

There are battery packs that have solar cells and can also be charged from a wall socket. Fully charged, the battery has as much power as a "typical" phone battery. But if exposed to the sun, lasts significantly longer. Typically a similar size to a phone.

Also, if your phone model allows using GPS in airplane mode, its battery lasts much longer that way. When not in airplane mode, it is constantly sending signals to find cell towers. If none respond, it increases the power of those signals to try again. Using GPS also consumes power, but much less, as that is only a receiver.

I had an iPhone X on my last Camino. I used it for EVERYTHING. The GPS saved me a number of times, for hours at end, while walking from Lisbon to Porto. Prior to my departure though, I went to an authorized repair centre where I got the batter replaced. That saved me! I never ran out of charge by the end of the day. I did however carry with me my TravelCard Portable Charger. Never used it, but it was so light, I never noticed it was even there. https://www.travelcardcharger.com/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought a small rechargeable battery, about the same size as a mobile phone, provides around 8-10 hours of power for a mobile, satnav etc. Charge the phone and the battery overnight and never came close to having less than half power left at the end of day

I would agree with one of the other writers... you don't really need one. You can charge the phone while you eat at places and many albergues now have a power point per bed. I met a German lady on my last Camino. She had brought along a heavy 4 array solar panel charger. I'm still scratching my head as to why. Yes, if you are camping though - only then would I say 10,000mAh charger but you have to find somewhere to charge that!

Buen Camino
Ps. If you have concerns about phone battery life and your phone has a USB-C connection socket - many do now, you could go for an inexpensive rapid charger - more juice delivered during charging cycles. This would mean that even during a relatively short coffee and Tarta de Queso stop, you could ask for a plug-in and charge up the phone considerably quicker than the standard out of the box charger. Worth investigating.

Buen Camino

I bought an Anker 5200mAh a couple years ago and haven't needed to use it last couple walks. still nice to have one along just in case.

I didn't realize at 113g weighs the same as the Nitecore 10000mAh. Nitecore used to make a 5000mAh, I guess not enough for through hikers. Always looking for lighter this and that

I had ordered a solar power bank to replace my old one, thinking I could hang it on my pack while I walked to charge it. It weighed A TON, and the "updated" version had no hanging loop. Fail on all levels.

A friend loaned me a small lightweight one, which was a godsend. There were several days when the combination of GPS, checking virtual guidebooks, and taking eleventy billion pictures drained our phones before we reached an outlet. While we both used it, my companion and I didn't each need our own - the one was enough to share and keep us going until we could properly charge.

Buen Camino!
I totally agree. We just charge up when we get into the albergues. You don't really need a portable charger unless you're really using your phone/device a LOT.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.