• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Quietest Camino

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Would it be accurate to say the Camino de Levante is one of the quietest? I understand theMadrid is also quiet but of course it joins the Frances which is not. At least the Levante joins the Sanabres (which I walked mostly in the rain so would love to try for some sun to see those stunning views that I'm sure were there!)
Start date would likely be early May to catch the wildflowers.
Not next year. Or the next.
I'm dreaming about when my homeschooling responsibilities have ended and know I'll be looking for solitude and contemplation. (My baby is 11 so maybe no route will be quiet by the time I walk alone!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are you only interested in routes that end in Santiago or also in parts of the wider European pilgimage routes network? If yes, the Via Regia in Germany is well equipped with albergues and, apart of July/August, very quiet. BC SY

Are you only interested in routes that end in Santiago or also in parts of the wider European pilgimage routes network? If yes, the Via Regia in Germany is well equipped with albergues and, apart of July/August, very quiet. BC SY
VR (according to your notes!!) does look appealing, but too short. Truth be known, I have all the Via Francigena guidebooks right beside me (and am thinking of a London start rather than Canterbury - St Paul's to St Peter's has a ring about it), but then I sway back to Spain for the opportunity to practice Spanish!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've walked a few of the quieter caminos.
May is a wonderful time to walk - early May if possible: I've just got back from Spain a week ago and it has been hitting 28 to 30 degrees which is too hot for comfortable walking except early morning.
As for the quietest .... I loved the Ruta del Ebro, starting in San Carlas de la Rapita and ending in Logrono. I stayed, I think, in four albergues and was totally alone in three of them!!

To see my photos full screen, visit the following links:

A. San Carlas de la Rapita, Amposta, Tortosa. https://plus.google.com/photos/111724793142187606932/albums/6167179119212796065
B. Tortosa, Xerta, Fontcalda, Gandesa. https://plus.google.com/photos/111724793142187606932/albums/6167183243015764657
C. Gandesa, Batea, Caspe. https://plus.google.com/photos/111724793142187606932/albums/6167186943275062273
D. Caspe, Chiprana, Sastago, Zaragoza. https://plus.google.com/photos/1117...ms/6167188569450284401?authkey=CMStgMDriIumQw
E. Zaragoza, Utebo, Alagon, Luceni. https://plus.google.com/photos/111724793142187606932/albums/6167191862851532897
F. Luceni, Mallen, Tudela, Alfaro. https://plus.google.com/photos/111724793142187606932/albums/6167193986250055265
G. Alfaro, Calahorra, Alcanadre, Agoncillo. https://plus.google.com/photos/111724793142187606932/albums/6167197066611303521
H. Agoncillo to Logrono. https://plus.google.com/photos/111724793142187606932/albums/6167199128828311233

I hope that gives you some ideas. More information on my web site.
Buen camino!

I just completed the Camino Ingles and from Santiago to Muxia. I called this the "Stop and Smell the Roses" Camino because so many of the Galician homes had beautiful roses, and wildflowers too, to brighten the day. These were also definitely less traveled routes, so quiet and peaceful for the heart and soul.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You could think about one of the Mozárabe routes (starting in Almería, Málaga or Granada for example) to Mérida then continue on the Plata and the Sanabrés to Santiago. That would give you the opportunity to revisit parts that you did in the rain.

I walked from Granada and did not see one pilgrim until Mérida - 16 days alone. I guess that you could call that solitary! But I have also done the Levante and the Camí Sant Jaume from Barcelona. Both were very, very quiet. Glad that I walked them with a Camino buddy.

Happy planning!

I walked the Levante, from Valencia to Toledo and Toledo to Cebreros in March and never saw a soul. I did 5 days in April and didn't see anyone but according to albergue registers there were several people on the days ahead of me so by May you could find yourself with some company or not, luck of the draw I think. I walked the Madrid at the end of September last year, I was totally alone to Segovia but after that there were days that were busy and days not, I found that a nice mix. When I walked the Catalan I was completely alone as well, though I did meet a cyclist:) It maybe depends just how alone you wish to be? Good luck!

Would it be accurate to say the Camino de Levante is one of the quietest? I understand theMadrid is also quiet but of course it joins the Frances which is not. At least the Levante joins the Sanabres (which I walked mostly in the rain so would love to try for some sun to see those stunning views that I'm sure were there!)
I'm dreaming about when my homeschooling responsibilities have ended and know I'll be looking for solitude and contemplation. (My baby is 11 so maybe no route will be quiet by the time I walk alone!)
The Via Baltics from Swinemuende was really quiet and pilgrims accommodation all along the way with a few exceptions. Only saw one other pilgrim on the entire route.
The Arles route is pretty quiet too.
I really lived the Via Regia. It was quirky and you don't have to stop in Vacha

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

The Via Francigena was very quiet when we did it in 2010. We only met a couple of pilgrims between France and Rome. But everyone we met in villages along the route understood what we were doing, so we had a constant cheer squad. It was great, although when we arrived in St Peter's we had a task to do to "Say hello to Il Papa for me" from so many people along the way ;)

Hi there, I walked the Camino de Madrid from 1 October last year but crossed to the Levante, joining the VdlP at Zamora. I was alone in albergues until Montamarta I think, saw only two other pilgrims walking en route. Very very quiet indeed. Too quiet I think, a bit unnerving at times, and I am a person who really enjoys my own company. Lovely walking though. The better balance for me was once further on the VdlP and Sanabres, with solitary walking during the day but a small group of others to chat and dine with in the evenings.

Hello in Kiwiland
If you want quiet & a great walk ......See the Camino Torres forum on this website or go direct to:
http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/
upload_2017-6-6_9-35-55.png

Depends how quiet you want it? saw 2 Italian pilgrims in 2 weeks... was so glad I chose this as my first Camino . You may want to catch the local bus from Salamanca to the fabulous town of Ciudad Rodrigo (464 kms to Santiago) to start as town resources very scarce on this part, plus some streams/ rivers add a degree of difficulty. Be sure to allow plenty of time to explore the old town & very intact Fort with all it's military history. Camino Torres joins the Portuguese route at Ponte de Lima which took me a few days to get used to 1) the many pilgrims & 2) Yellow arrows everywhere!
If you want, from Braga you can take other routes to avoid the busy Portuguese trail.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Rachel,
I walked from Almeria and saw not a soul for the first few days and only one or two over the next few days.
It was extremely quiet all the way to Granada.
Great views too!
Digger

I think it's easier to answer your question by excluding Frances, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Plata, maybe even Sanabres and Portugues. Then print this map:
http://www.rayyrosa.com/loscaminos
Pin it to something made of wood or rubber and throw a dart at it. You may also try with a bow or firearms ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Coast of the dead malpica to finnesterre. Well you have the ocean sound

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Walking to Jerusalem was pretty quiet ;):D
I think the inevitable result of London to Rome is to continue to Jerusalem!
These days might need @KinkyOne 's suggestion - firearms!
I think it's easier to answer your question by excluding Frances, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Plata, maybe even Sanabres and Portugues. Then print this map:
Pin it to something made of wood or rubber and throw a dart at it. You may also try with a bow or firearms ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Primitivo was pretty quiet. We walked alone for most of it. Until the last 3 days when we hit the Frances, that is :)

The Primitivo was pretty quiet. We walked alone for most of it. Until the last 3 days when we hit the Frances, that is :)

I did the Primitivo, which was quiet enough for me, but got really overwhelmed when it hit the Frances. So I cut across to the Ingles, and then came down the end of the Ingles into Santiago. Worked really well. Didn't see anyone else by doing that. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I smile when people mention the Primitivo- it was the one place we have had a bed rush with people having to take taxis on to the next town and letting late-arrives in to the albergue so they could sleep on a floor!! But I understand it is usually quiet.

I smile when people mention the Primitivo- it was the one place we have had a bed rush with people having to take taxis on to the next town and letting late-arrives in to the albergue so they could sleep on a floor!! But I understand it is usually quiet.

That's amazing to me, based on my experience there this past sumner, but maybe it might have to do with particular pinch point locations or certain times or "surges" or travellers?? I walked it for most of June (yeah, I took my time), but never had a problem with beds. I didn't often stop at the "ends" of the recommended "stages," though. Granted, I also usually arrived to the hotel or albergue (we mixed it up) around 3-5pm, not super late. A few times, my companion and I were the ONLY people at a given albergue. Some days, we would only see a couple other people on the trail all day. So idk!

I see that you did it back in 2014. A LOT more options for lodging have opened now. I just completed it on May 27th and never encountered a bed race. Some albergues were full but nobody was left without a bed with all the options available. We opted for a lot of private albergues, pensiones, and even a couple of "hotels" so we helped to open up those albergue beds for the people with less financial options :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.