• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saharan Dust

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
I have seen some of the coverage of the dust storm blanketing Spain and parts of France as far north as Bordeaux. I have seen no comments on the Forum. I have a friend starting from Sarria tomorrow and asked him to let me know what he is experiencing.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have seen some of the coverage of the dust storm blanketing Spain and parts of France as far north as Bordeaux. I have seen no comments on the Forum. I have a friend starting from Sarria tomorrow and asked him to let me know what he is experiencing.
Reporting in from central Portugal:

This is our second day of the dust. Very fine; visible in atmosphere as "golden cloudiness." Local weather people are recommending that elderly, small children, and those with respiratory issues not go outside. Reminds me of when we had forest fires in Canada, with the smoke from far away being blown into our area. Not pleasant walking; you can definitely feel it in your throat.

Madrid area, and further southeast in Spain are getting it as well.

From Twitter, a photo showing central Lisbon yesterday. This is what it's like here, as well:

1647447987439.png

And again yesterday, from Murça, in Spain:

1647448085858.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is the view from my bedroom yesterday, South of Granada, health authorities recommend no physical activities outdoors, and wear a good FPP2 grade at least, it looks like it will stay like this, with different intensities, till Thursday at least. I am not sure it is a good idea to be walking on days like these, the air quality in Granada, for example, was the worst for years yesterday.

1647451862746.png

Yes, it was supposed to be sunny yesterday in Santiago and by mid-day there was an orange/yellow haze all around. At first, we thought it was a forest fire in the surrounding hills, but when we saw the news we were amazed that we were looking at Sahara Desert particles! I actually got some in my eyes. 🤪

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There was orange dust all over the broad bean shoots this morning. The salad cloches needed a wash. The frog spawn in the pond looked rusty. This afternoon’s rain has rinsed everything but the sky is still orange and everything is streaked.
I learn that you can find layers of Saharan dust in Arctic ice- cores and that similar plumes may have contributed to the fertility of post-glacial soils.
Still makes me cough…

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m on the Frances in Belorado. The sky has been murky for a few days. I thought there must be a fire somewhere but learned of the dust storm yesterday. Thanks for these postings about it. It helps those of us who are walking right now.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Reporting in from central Portugal:

This is our second day of the dust. Very fine; visible in atmosphere as "golden cloudiness." Local weather people are recommending that elderly, small children, and those with respiratory issues not go outside. Reminds me of when we had forest fires in Canada, with the smoke from far away being blown into our area. Not pleasant walking; you can definitely feel it in your throat.

Madrid area, and further southeast in Spain are getting it as well.

From Twitter, a photo showing central Lisbon yesterday. This is what it's like here, as well:

View attachment 120691

And again yesterday, from Murça, in Spain:

View attachment 120692
Have you seen/heard any forecast about how long this may last? We are scheduled to walk from Lisbon in early April and I have respiratory problems.

It is much better today.
I have seen some of the coverage of the dust storm blanketing Spain and parts of France as far north as Bordeaux. I have seen no comments on the Forum. I have a friend starting from Sarria tomorrow and asked him to let me know what he is experiencir

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband and I have been visiting Santander today, all the cars, benches, outside bar tables and seats etc are all covered in a fine dust, I was wondering what it was? Now I know-thank you for posting. 😊

Can you comment about what people/news is saying about how long these events last? I am due to arrive on April 3rd with asthma. This may affect whether I can walk or not.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have asthma and I live in the middle of the blackest part of the map above.
I've been breathing dust for three days now, and so far I'm still up and moving about normally, no wheezing or respiratory symptoms except a bit of a runny nose.
(Hope that's not too much information.)
Asthmatics, fear not! If it was really bad, I'd be feeling it.
It is really rather beautiful, in an apocalyptic kind of way.

This is the view from my bedroom yesterday, South of Granada, health authorities recommend no physical activities outdoors, and wear a good FPP2 grade at least, it looks like it will stay like this, with different intensities, till Thursday at least. I am not sure it is a good idea to be walking on days like these, the air quality in Granada, for example, was the worst for years yesterday.

View attachment 120702
I’m also south of Granada. Deep in the mud clean up now!

Attachments

• 7C5D8367-87A9-40B0-A1A0-4D0F6B4A6B1D.jpeg
    7C5D8367-87A9-40B0-A1A0-4D0F6B4A6B1D.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 22
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Fellow asthmatics, fear not! I'm in the middle of things, in Cascais, west of Lisbon, and while the sky looks chunky, the particulate matter doesn't feel nearly as intrusive as say, a California wildfire. I'm experienced in the latter, btw. It's already dissapating, and I'm told it's a couple times a year, so don't worry.

Fellow asthmatics, fear not! I'm in the middle of things, in Cascais, west of Lisbon, and while the sky looks chunky, the particulate matter doesn't feel nearly as intrusive as say, a California wildfire. I'm experienced in the latter, btw. It's already dissapating, and I'm told it's a couple times a year, so don't worry.
Thank you for taking time to respond.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife's relatives in Sicily call this phenomena "sirocco."
Interesting, thanks.

I knew the name "sirocco" and that it is a hot dry wind blowing in Italy, just like I know Mistral, Bora and Foehn and roughly where these winds blow but I did not know that sirocco is the wind that carries the sand from the Sahara with it.

I live far north of the Alps and we rarely notice it but this time it was quite a massive event. Today I saw that every car that had been parked outside, including mine, was covered with a thin layer of dirt and, on closer inspection, the colour is indeed orange and it is very fine sand. And yesterday we had an unusually beautiful sunset, a side effect of the tiny particles high up in the air.

So now that you had mentioned mistral winds, please allow me to brighten the readers day about my experience in Marseille. My wife and I were in Marseille just as all Americans were called back for Covid. The day prior, we rented bikes to ride along the Corniche JFK - what a beautiful stretch of coastline!! On our return to center city, after several hours of riding, a strong mistral (we were told that there were gusts of 60 mph) picked my bike, with me on it, up off the ground and I landed in the midst of the roadway. Inches away from my head was a the bumper of a bus that thankfully stopped. Locals came a'running to help this poor old (and embarrassed) soul and his belongings off the ground. I looked around to see my wife fully expecting to see a look of horror on her face. Instead, she was doubled over laughing and holding herself so that she wouldn't wet her pants. We still laugh about the French mistral!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My friend in Zamora said it was noticeable in terms of visibility, but he didn't feel any respiratory distress.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
More dust coming tonight and tomorrow...

I just read a couple of news items reporting that the dust is back in southern Spain; pictures from this afternoon in Malaga that are like the photos above. Predicted for central Spain and Portugal tomorrow.

Would it make sense to wear a good mask? They are so much a part of our life now, and it would seem that they would help. I remember my daughter and her family were advised by their doctor to wear masks outside when the wildfires in California were so bad several years ago. At that time it was an unusual thing to wear masks, but now it would be second nature.

I remember my daughter and her family were advised by their doctor to wear masks outside when the wildfires in California were so bad several years ago. At that time it was an unusual thing to wear masks, but now it would be second nature.
When the pandemic started and good masks were in short supply we, and many others where I live in Oregon already had N95 masks that we had bought for protection from the smoke from forest fires.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back