• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago oct 2018

Cmp

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago October 2018
Hello all. My name is Ceil and I plan to walk Sarria to Santiago in oct. I will book my flight tomorrow. I’m a little flexible on my days. I am currently walking 5 miles w a small backpack and manage well. This weekend I hope to increase to 7 since I will have more time. I can take up to 12 days to spend in Spain and am wondering if I should start before Sarria or go on to Finester. Any thought are welcome.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome @Cmp Many people can manage to walk from Astorga to Santiago in ten or twelve days - while that would requite walking more than seven miles each day, I suspect you may be able to when you have all day to do it!
I prefer Astorga to Sarria rather than Santiago to Finisterre, but I live near the sea and so mountains are more of a drawcard for me. What would YOU prefer?

The camino gets VERY busy from Sarria, as this marks the 100km point after which you qualify for a compostela. If you have more time, I would definitely encourage you to start a few days before this! As Kiwi-family says, you will probably manage to walk further than 7 miles once on the camino - not only because you have all day, but also because you'll get swept along with a group of pilgrims and it's so much fun you'll wonder where the time went! Buen camino :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @Cmp ,

My initial suggestion would have been to take the Finisterre option as I think it makes for a more satisfiying end point, but having heard her thinking I now tend to agree with @Jan_D that it might be nice to sample the "real" pre-Sarria camino and start a little further back.

Whatever you decide have a fabulous time.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

You will be fine in October with crowds in the last 100km. I suggest you give yourself flexibility by starting in Sarria. If all goes well, you can continue on to Fisterra or Muxia after Santiago. If you are struggling, then a couple of extra days will be useful for completing Sarria-Santiago comfortably. Your training regimen is not really showing you what the stresses are with a backpack, hills, heat, dehydration, sleep deprivation, and joint mechanics. Starting with modest goals is worthwhile, so "curb your enthusiasm" by staying within your limits! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome @Cmp Many people can manage to walk from Astorga to Santiago in ten or twelve days - while that would requite walking more than seven miles each day, I suspect you may be able to when you have all day to do it!
I prefer Astorga to Sarria rather than Santiago to Finisterre, but I live near the sea and so mountains are more of a drawcard for me. What would YOU

I heard there is a lot of construction around o’cebrero (spelling) so I will look into that some more. Thank you.

You will be fine in October with crowds in the last 100km. I suggest you give yourself flexibility by starting in Sarria. If all goes well, you can continue on to Fisterra or Muxia after Santiago. If you are struggling, then a couple of extra days will be useful for completing Sarria-Santiago comfortably. Your training regimen is not really showing you what the stresses are with a backpack, hills, heat, dehydration, sleep deprivation, and joint mechanics. Starting with modest goals is worthwhile, so "curb your enthusiasm" by staying within your limits! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think you may be right. I do have one more month of training so I hope to be in better shape. This is my first Camino and am 60 so I want to be realistic and not stressed. Thank you.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The camino gets VERY busy from Sarria, as this marks the 100km point after which you qualify for a compostela. If you have more time, I would definitely encourage you to start a few days before this! As Kiwi-family says, you will probably manage to walk further than 7 miles once on the camino - not only because you have all day, but also because you'll get swept along with a group of pilgrims and it's so much fun you'll wonder where the time went! Buen camino :)
Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @Cmp ,

My initial suggestion would have been to take the Finisterre option as I think it makes for a more satisfiying end point, but having heard her thinking I now tend to agree with @Jan_D that it might be nice to sample the "real" pre-Sarria camino and start a little further back.

Whatever you decide have a fabulous time.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Thank you I guess I have the freedom to decide as my trip gets closer and I see how I’m doing with my training. Thank you!

I prefer Astorga to Sarria rather than Santiago to Finisterre, but I live near the sea and so mountains are more of a drawcard for me. What would YOU prefer?

It is 262km from Astorga to Santiago. So in 12 days you would have to average about 22km per day or about 13 miles a day with no rest day and with a signicant climb up to OCebriero.
Suggest you consider starting in OCebriero. This would give you an extra 2-3 days of walking. The distance is abt 156km. For 12 days you would average 13km per day or 7.8 miles. If you needed a rest day, then you would average about 14.2km or 8.5 miles per day. Whatever you decide ease into your camino. More is not always better!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is 262km from Astorga to Santiago. So in 12 days you would have to average about 22km per day or about 13 miles a day with no rest day and with a signicant climb up to OCebriero.
Suggest you consider starting in OCebriero. This would give you an extra 2-3 days of walking. The distance is abt 156km. For 12 days you would average 13km per day or 7.8 miles. If you needed a rest day, then you would average about 14.2km or 8.5 miles per day. Whatever you decide ease into your camino. More is not always better!
Thank you that is most helpful. I appreciate all the support.

Ceil, Buen Camino.

I have done the Camino 3 times and the least pleasurable part, each time, has been from Sarria to Santiago. Last year, at age 75, I was dismayed at what I coined the “fake pilgrims” that joined in Sarria. It had been 13 years since I did my second pilgrimage and I wasn’t prepared for this new kind of Pilgrim.

There was a stark contrast between those and the “real” Pilgrims that started further back. But, to each his own. I hope you get so much out of it that you will come back and experience it again.

When I do it next in 2022, when I’m 80, I think I’ll skip the Sarria-Santiago leg.

Which leg of the Camino did you like best considering a 10-12 day time frame?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Which leg of the Camino did you like best considering a 10-12 day time frame?
For only 10-12 days I would start in Pamplona. Take 2-3 similar sessions to finish whenever, maybe in a couple of years. Your experience will be something you’ve never had before

For only 10-12 days I would start in Pamplona. Take 2-3 similar sessions to finish whenever, maybe in a couple of years. Your experience will be something you’ve never had before
Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all. My name is Ceil and I plan to walk Sarria to Santiago in oct. I will book my flight tomorrow. I’m a little flexible on my days. I am currently walking 5 miles w a small backpack and manage well. This weekend I hope to increase to 7 since I will have more time. I can take up to 12 days to spend in Spain and am wondering if I should start before Sarria or go on to Finester. Any thought are welcome.
Hi Ceil- I am starting from Sarria mid October. We plan on 9 days to get to Santiago. If we're early (no one had any health issues) we'll take a bus to Finisterre. Good to keep yourself flexible. Hope to meet you on the way. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not everyone has the luxury of a month or more to walk the Camino, or the money to do so. There is nothing fake about those who start in Sarria. There is also nothing noble about walking the Camino. We all do it for our own reasons.

Each person walks his or her own Camino. It is authentic to that individual. There is nothing “fake” about someone who walks the last 100km does something different than another person. They are walking what they can and we do not know their backstory and challenges. It’s still 100 km walking!

Let’s strive to be supportive of all pilgrims! The excitement is just as real for someone walking 100km as 800km. Who are we to judge who is fake or real? The spirit of the Camino is either there or it isn’t. Distance doesn’t determine kindness, gratitude or community.

I have to agree with 'Saranger'. The Camino is a lovely 'journey', whether you do 100km or 800km. I've never had the 'luxury' to do 'the whole lot' ... some day, maybe ... but I've journeyed 6 'different' Caminos, & loved each one! The first was a large group 'fund-raising' trip in 2011... an amazing experience, which started my 'addiction' to the Camino! I have since returned with smaller groups & twice 'solo' ... my favourite! I really missed it this year ... 'my fix'... but due to 'granny duties', had other priorities. However, next year "I'll be back"!
Have a wonderful time ... Buen Camino x

How about starting in Ponferrada? It is big enough to have good transportation and to provide some interesting sights on the day before you start walking. It is about 210 km from Santiago. If you actually have only 10 days to walk and you are not confident of your fitness, you could start 30 km ahead in Villafranca del Bierzo.

Why don't you research and document the exact transportation options to several of the places that have been suggested? Then when the day arrives, you can pick any one of them, depending on how you feel, what the weather is, or who you happen to meet at the airport.

P.S. The number of people on the camino in October, even from Sarria to Santiago, should be quite acceptable - enough for fun but not excessive.

€46,-
I think you may be right. I do have one more month of training so I hope to be in better shape. This is my first Camino and am 60 so I want to be realistic and not stressed. Thank you.
My wife and I are 70 and will be starting in Sarria at the end of September. We'll look for you.
Ted

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back