• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sept transportation- Madrid to Pamplona/Logrono to Madrid

BookGirl305

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles (after Covid)
Perhaps due to Covid, I am seeing very few choices on Rome 2 Rio to go from Madrid to Pamplona and then back from Logrono to Madrid. I am roughly 70 days out. Has the full schedule not yet been published for trains and busses? Are things being added as the country opens back up or is what is out there what will be available? I found a set of Iberia flights to/from Madrid to Pamplona, but cannot find a bus or train to get me from Logrono to Pamplona on Sat Sept 25th. Likewise, only two trains to/from Pamplona.

All things considered, I would prefer to take the train but neither of the two currently available works time-wise. If I need to fly, I don't want to wait too long to buy the ticket. And, how to get from Logrono to Pamplona?
Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure if things are Covid affected @BookGirl305, although it would hardly be surprising. Pamplona and Logroño are both major transport hubs, on major train and bus routes, so should be well serviced. I have found in the past that in Spain bus and train timetables often don't become available until a month before the date, and can't be booked until then and that may be the simple answer. Let's hope you get an answer from a more knowledgeable local member.

Kanga is correct. If you go to the Rail Europe website (was Loco2 - others are available) you can set up an alert when bookings are available. Even for the main routes such as those you’re looking at they can be released as little as one month before the date of travel.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It may be more practical a flight to Madrid, then train to Pamplona, and then Logroño to Madrid. As it happens in many countries, it is easier to come and go to the capital than to find "transversal" transportation.
Both Pamplona and Logroño are important cities, with many options.
As per a near date, I can see many daily trains for both destinations in RENFE, in the company webpage.
The situation will be probably similar (or better, as the country hopefully opens to tourism) in a couple of months.
ALSA buses are also an option.
Buen camino!

Perhaps due to Covid, I am seeing very few choices on Rome 2 Rio to go from Madrid to Pamplona and then back from Logrono to Madrid. I am roughly 70 days out. Has the full schedule not yet been published for trains and busses?
I happen to know that there has been a reassignment of bus concessions for buses operating out of Pamplona. It seems that websites like Rome2Rio and Busbud have not yet caught up with this.

The company that operates the line Pamplona-Logroño-Pamplona is called La Estellesa. Website: https://laestellesa.com

I cannot find timetables on their website. Just the option of buying tickets and that goes only until the middle of July 2021. For example for Saturday July 10, 2021, there are four departure times for Logroño-Pamplona: 7:45, 13:00, 16:30 and 20:00. There are 19 stops and it takes around 2 hours to get from Logroño to Pamplona.

Email: infoweb@laestellesa.com
Phone: +34 948 326 509 (Monday to Friday 8 am to 6 pm)

As mentioned already, Alsa operates comfortable long-distance buses from Logroño to Madrid airport, and you can already buy a ticket for around €25 (!) for Saturday, September 25. Takes about 4 hours. Only 3 stops on the way.

Last edited:
I think I read the OPs travel plans incorrectly. Katharina’s well informed as usual.

Given the choice, I take the train rather than the bus in Spain.

Bear in mind that the trains in Spain run mainly ‘cross the plain - that is to, and from, Madrid. They are comfortable and remarkably inexpensive. (Compared to the UK, which is a pretty low bar to clear to be fair)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had a look at the Logrono to Madrid Barajas schedule for my own interest, as I shall be taking a bus on that route myself a few months from now (late November). There are currently three buses a day from Logrono to terminal 4, Madrid. Depending on bus and train schedules when I am ready to go, I may take either, but probably the bus. It is easy to find bus schedules on the Alsa app, and probably more convenient for me to take a bus to the airport, as I shall be taking a bus to Logrono. There is an option on their app for senior prices, so I chose that, and it looks like a good discount. Because I am flying out of Madrid Airport the next morning, I plan on booking a room for the night at Hostal Viky in Barajas, which will pick me up at Terminal 4 and bring me back to the airport in the morning. This has worked for me previously.

I made a train reservation from Madrid to Pamplona awhile back for Sept 15 on Renfe.com / Spainrail.com. Bob

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love to take trains, especially the very fast new AVEs in Spain. Two years ago I took one from Madrid to Pamplona, and it was a very quick trip.

And I also like modern architecture, so the new train station in Logrono was a treat. It is definitely of the "New Brutalism" style, but in spite of the stark concrete, some of the local elderly gentlemen had already claimed it as their meeting place.

Perhaps due to Covid, I am seeing very few choices on Rome 2 Rio to go from Madrid to Pamplona and then back from Logrono to Madrid. I am roughly 70 days out. Has the full schedule not yet been published for trains and busses? Are things being added as the country opens back up or is what is out there what will be available? I found a set of Iberia flights to/from Madrid to Pamplona, but cannot find a bus or train to get me from Logrono to Pamplona on Sat Sept 25th. Likewise, only two trains to/from Pamplona.

All things considered, I would prefer to take the train but neither of the two currently available works time-wise. If I need to fly, I don't want to wait too long to buy the ticket. And, how to get from Logrono to Pamplona?
Thanks!
Here is a screenshot from August, Madrid to Pamplona. Give it a month as @Kanga said and these options should appear.

Screenshot_20210701-143551.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back