• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shorts or long pants?

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
I am planning on walking the Camino Portugues from Lisbon in mid March next year. Can anyone advise me if it will be warm enough to wear shorts. Thanks for any info.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am planning on walking the Camino Portugues from Lisbon in mid March next year. Can anyone advise me if it will be warm enough to wear shorts. Thanks for any info.

Yes it will be warm enough to wear shorts. You don't lose much heat through your legs. I usually wear shorts and gaiters even when walking on snow(risk is sunburn). You can wear shorts even when it is below freezing (0 C) no problem.

My long distance weather forecasting crystal ball doesn't seem to be working quite that far ahead, but based on my experience at a similar time of year on the CF, you might find days where shorts do not offer the warmth that you need. I say this aware that the coastal climate might be somewhat more benign than the CF.

I always wear long trekking trousers as protection against sunburn at any time of the year. You could, of course, be meticulous in using sunscreen if you are wearing shorts or leaving other skin exposed, although it is easy to lose track of time and not re-apply it frequently enough for proper protection. If you do have sunny weather, you could be walking in direct sun for several hours a day - well beyond the exposure times recommended by cancer authorities.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
O think long pants convertible to short pants are the best option, notice that at any time could be could and humidity because it's so close to Atlantic Ocean!!
I think after walking you probably need long pants at evening time !
That my thoughts about it!

I second the suggestions regarding convertible trousers with zip-off legs. They take the place of two articles of clothing, lightening your backpack. If walking in the "shorts" mode, you can quickly zip on the legs if you wish to visit a cathedral or museum that frowns of shorts, or if the weather turns cool. You usually only need to wash the legs after walking through muddy conditions. Etc. Etc. Etc.

BTW, if you go with convertible trousers, be sure they have long side zippers that allow the legs to be removed without removing your shoes or boots.

I always wear long trousers for the reasons already noted. My buddy always wears shorts when walking, even in somewhat colder weather. We both seem to get along just fine, so I think it is really just a personal call.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
On my pic I wore 3/4 pants as I hadn't washed my shorts. In general though I always wear shorts for hiking even when there is frost and in cooler places I take a pair of leggings to wear under them or in the evenings with a loose longish top over them. I love that cold feeling on the skin when the skin goes red and then warms up. Makes me feel alive.
Personally I hate zip offs. The zip is anatomically in the wrong place for me and it is in the way and rubs. Also one has to wash walking pants every day anyway and needs a spare pair and I find it is better to have one pair of shorts and one pair of long pants.
Just try it all on and work out what is comfy for you.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.