• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP-orisson in the afternoon

justgiuli

Time of past OR future Camino
I did the frances, in easter 2018 I would start the VDLP
Hello everybody, I’m Giuliano. I have question for you guys. I will be arriving the 15th April at barritz airport at 12 and hope to get a train to sjpdp around 12,30. I have a reservation at Orisson that night, hopefully on a decent weather. So, the question is: a what time maximum I need to leave sjpdp? 3 pm still sounds good? All the best

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suppose it depends on how fast you walk up the hill. ;)

My son and I had a picnic lunch by the river there and walked up and had quite a bit of time before dinner. On the way, I stopped a lot to take photos- (really to catch my breath and rest--we were jet-lagged having arrived in Paris from NY the day before, and slept in couchettes on the night train to Bayonne.).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suppose it depends on how fast you walk up the hill. ;)

My son and I had a picnic lunch by the river there and walked up and had quite a bit of time before dinner. On the way, I stopped a lot to take photos- (really to catch my breath and rest--we were jet-lagged having arrived in Paris from NY the day before, and slept in couchettes on the night train to Bayonne.).
Ok, ty. I’ll let you know later how fast I may walk up the hill 😂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That’s why I have been asking. Why is too late?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That’s why I have been asking. Why is too late?
Most people will leave SJPP in the morning - 8 to 9 pm - because that is when the albergues require them to leave. So they arrive (usually) before noon. It's not a big deal. I would just let them know you're arriving later.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You definitely want to arrive in time for the communal dinner. It is a nice part of staying there and an easy way to make friends with folks you’ll see the rest of the way to Santiago. So call ahead that morning, confirm you’ll be there by dinner time, and start walking three hours before that.

Hello everybody, I’m Giuliano. I have question for you guys. I will be arriving the 15th April at barritz airport at 12 and hope to get a train to sjpdp around 12,30. I have a reservation at Orisson that night, hopefully on a decent weather. So, the question is: a what time maximum I need to leave sjpdp? 3 pm still sounds good? All the best
You're fine. It only takes about 2 hours to reach the Orisson. It's about 8 km from the SJPDP pilgrims office, but the first 5km is steep. If you leave by 3pm, you should get there by 5:30pm. I would call or email the Orisson to let them know what time you think you will arrive in case they are serving dinner and you want to eat.

You're fine. It only takes about 2 hours to reach the Orisson. It's about 8 km from the SJPDP pilgrims office, but the first 5km is steep. If you leave by 3pm, you should get there by 5:30pm. I would call or email the Orisson to let them know what time you think you will arrive in case they are serving dinner and you want to eat.

5:30 is a mite early for dinner, don't you think?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
According to Orisson's website, dinner is served at 6:30 pm.
When I reserved in the past it was stated that I must arrive by 6:30.

It's so lovely up there that it would be a shame to not have some time to sit out on the deck and enjoy the views before dinner. However, when I have stayed at Orisson I haven't left SJPdP before about 11 am. If you have to leave your accommodation at 8:00 have a leisurely breakfast and spend some time in town before setting off.

According to Orisson's website, dinner is served at 6:30 pm.
When I reserved in the past it was stated that I must arrive by 6:30.

It's so lovely up there that it would be a shame to not have some time to sit out on the deck and enjoy the views before dinner. However, when I have stayed at Orisson I haven't left SJPdP before about 11 am. If you have to leave your accommodation at 8:00 have a leisurely breakfast and spend some time in town before setting off.
It was pretty fogged in when I was at Orisson. :( Evening and morning. Ah well, I just have to go back!

€46,-
This year I'm coming into Madrid, and rather than a train or flight to Pamplona as I have done in the past, I'm getting a flight to Biarritz. The OP gets to Biarritz at 12:00 and intends to make the 12:30 train from Bayonne. I'm curious if 1/2 hour is enough time to get from Biarritz to Bayonne.

This year I'm coming into Madrid, and rather than a train or flight to Pamplona as I have done in the past, I'm getting a flight to Biarritz. The OP gets to Biarritz at 12:00 and intends to make the 12:30 train from Bayonne. I'm curious if 1/2 hour is enough time to get from Biarritz to Bayonne.
I would say no. Flight landing time is not the same as deplaning and exiting the airport. Then you need to get a taxi to the train station. That trip will take about 15 minutes. You would have to be leading a very charmed life to make the 12:35 train. There is a train at 2:22 pm arriving at SJPdP at 3:23 pm.

Screenshot_20240224_181830_Firefox.jpg

If one is fit and a fast walker they could probably get to Orisson before dinner starts, but it seems like a really rushed way to start a Camino

I understand that to each his/her own and of course "it's your Camino" but I could never fathom this "immediate rush" to start walking on the day of arrival (and especially if flying in).
As I thought and @trecile showed your proposed time most likely will not work.
In addition I will respectfully challenge the "it's only 2 hours to walk to Orisson". That predicates on many variants including the walker him/herself and road & weather conditions.
Actually IMHO to suggest a 4km/hr speed after almost 2/3 of the day already spent traveling with backpack even on a flat surface seems doubtful to me; now throw a pretty steep hill....

Good luck and Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I would say no. Flight landing time is not the same as deplaning and exiting the airport. Then you need to get a taxi to the train station. That trip will take about 15 minutes. You would have to be leading a very charmed life to make the 12:35 train. There is a train at 2:22 pm arriving at SJPdP at 3:23 pm.

View attachment 164915

If one is fit and a fast walker they could probably get to Orisson before dinner starts, but it seems like a really rushed way to start a Camino
I will arrive at Biarritz airport at 11,50. If the plane is on time I think I can catch the train at 12,35. I mean, that’s the plan..

One of the best military axioms: "All the best plans have a tendency to go awry".

Even if there are no delays of any sort how long will it take you to just get off the plane?
Unless you are sitting in 1st/Business class Row 1 it could easily take 15-20 minutes.
Walk to the customs...I have no idea where they are at but I'll generously give you only 5 minutes
Get through the customs... depends on number of agents working and overall number of people...maybe a non-issue to you as an EU member... but say another 5 mins to get outside, another 5 to get to the taxi throw the backpack off and sit down
I actually show 16 minutes to get to Gare de Bayonne "in current traffic" which is no traffic at all let's say your luck still holds...
Do you know the layout of the Station?
Do you need some time to find out what track your train leaves from and then get there?
Another 10 minutes to be safe?
I think you just missed your train by a couple of seconds....
And all the stress and anxiety 🙃! Again as @trecile alluded What a way to start a Camino!!!
Here is a thought seems it is slightly over an hour to take a taxi straight to SJPdP from BIQ. I say if there are no issues you can bank on ETA of 1:30 pm
BTW are you planning on stopping at the Pilgrim's Office and if so is "the plan" that there will be absolutely nobody there ahead of you and you'll be in and out in matter of nano seconds?

One of the best military axioms: "All the best plans have a tendency to go awry".

Even if there are no delays of any sort how long will it take you to just get off the plane?
Unless you are sitting in 1st/Business class Row 1 it could easily take 15-20 minutes.
Walk to the customs...I have no idea where they are at but I'll generously give you only 5 minutes
Get through the customs... depends on number of agents working and overall number of people...maybe a non-issue to you as an EU member... but say another 5 mins to get outside, another 5 to get to the taxi throw the backpack off and sit down
I actually show 16 minutes to get to Gare de Bayonne "in current traffic" which is no traffic at all let's say your luck still holds...
Do you know the layout of the Station?
Do you need some time to find out what track your train leaves from and then get there?
Another 10 minutes to be safe?
I think you just missed your train by a couple of seconds....
And all the stress and anxiety 🙃! Again as @trecile alluded What a way to start a Camino!!!
Here is a thought seems it is slightly over an hour to take a taxi straight to SJPdP from BIQ. I say if there are no issues you can bank on ETA of 1:30 pm
BTW are you planning on stopping at the Pilgrim's Office and if so is "the plan" that there will be absolutely nobody there ahead of you and you'll be in and out in matter of nano seconds?
Ty for answer back. But I don’t see the plan in such a drammatic way 😜 the plane arrive at 11,50. So, If is time of course, I have 45 minutes, I guess is enough (border is not a issue). If is not, not anxiety at all. The planes are made to be changed. I’ll let you know!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Spain, it's a little late. Dinner (comida) is often 2-4.

Supper, on the other hand, can be considerably later.

:)
Ack! The Dinner/Supper/Tea/Lunch confusion! At my grandparents' farm, midday meal was dinner and the largest meal of the day. Supper was in the evening, and smaller (like tea but a bit later). At my parents' house, Dinner was in the evening and the largest meal, and we had lunch at midday. Go figure.

€46,-
Ack! The Dinner/Supper/Tea/Lunch confusion! At my grandparents' farm, midday meal was dinner and the largest meal of the day. Supper was in the evening, and smaller (like tea but a bit later). At my parents' house, Dinner was in the evening and the largest meal, and we had lunch at midday. Go figure.
I tend to think of breakfast, lunch, and supper (coming from North America), with dinner as the largest meal, whenever it falls.

When I spent a year in England, in the mid-70s, it was as at your grandparents' farm. At home, as at your parents place. I was pointing out that for Spaniards, it is closer to your grandparents' practice.

I tend to think of breakfast, lunch, and supper (coming from North America), with dinner as the largest meal, whenever it falls.

When I spent a year in England, in the mid-70s, it was as at your grandparents' farm. At home, as at your parents place. I was pointing out that for Spaniards, it is closer to your grandparents' practice.
Similar. Dinner was something big and special like Sunday a roast or fried chicken after church or a holiday meal with a turkey. Every day was breakfast, lunch, supper.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Mais.... Orisson est en France? ;)

I will arrive at Biarritz airport at 11,50. If the plane is on time I think I can catch the train at 12,35. I mean, that’s the plan..
Would taking a shuttle save you some time? I am sure there will be other people on the plane trying to get to SJPdP?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.