• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Slippery quilt and sliding liner

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I don't sew much, and it seems there are many good sewers here, so I thought I'd ask for advice before I start on my bag and liner "upgrade".

My slippery quilt (sleeping bag) slides off my bag liner; it will not stay put over the quilt for more than a few minutes. If I climb into the liner and zip the quilt around the liner like a regular sleeping bag, the liner ends up at the bottom of the bag before midnight. Then I must wiggle-wiggle the liner back up to the top pf the "bag". It didnt bother me much this past fall because I only used the quilt 3 or 4 times. But I am worried that I may need it more this year for an early April Camino.

I have a couple ideas - what do you think would work better to keep the quilt aligned over the liner, and the liner aligned properly under / inside the quilt? Sew buttons onto the quilt and elastic loops onto the liner ( think duvet but with a loop around the button rather than button holes)? Use snaps? Hooks and eyes? Velcro- nonono that might catch my hair-ouch! What else might work better?
Ideas appreciated. Buen Camino to All!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Snaps - I purchased a beautiful silk liner and a lightweight down blanket from a member on this forum who makes them. I’m not sure if she still does. The liner has snaps on the upper inside and upper outer. So I can snap the quilt in place if I need it on chilly nights. The liner also has straps to secure it to the corners of the mattress. Pillow case included. I love it.
IMG_4745.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As @Anniesantiago asked, why do you have both a sleeping bag and a liner? One answer might be that sometimes you want the warmer one and sometimes just the liner, so you would just use one. If you need even more warmth, then put one bag inside the other bag (whichever works better, given the slipperiness, etc.) If you put ribbon ties at the top corners of each, tie them together so one will not slip down inside.

Some of us put a small quilt inside the liner, to make a minimalist sleeping bag. The quilt is only one layer, the same size as the liner when laid flat, so it doesn't provide a lot of cosy wraparound, but it is usually enough during the warmish seasons. You can attach the corners of the quilt to the inside corners of the liner, using snaps or even little ribbon ties, to hold the quilt in place. Then when you crawl in, you crawl under the quilt layer so the quilt is on top of you for warmth. However, if you have a larger "quilt", it won't go inside the liner like this. (Is this confusing? Maybe we need diagrams! 😄 )

Since you are going in October, you might want the warmer sleeping bag. Maybe you don't need the liner at all.

I had that problem. My quilt was one sided so even more of a problem. I sewed a bit of tape to each corner of the silk liner. I tied the tape to the drawstring at each corner of the quilt. If your quilt hasn´t got drawstrings, you will have to sew tape to that as well. For extra warmth, I turned everything inside out so that the quit was inside the liner. When it was hot, I just used the liner without the quilt.

This is more or less what C Clearly does so it probably works.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's not necessarily slippery. I notice in bed the top sheet between me and my duvet ends up in a ball at the foot of the bed.

As you sleep and heat up there's a chance you're pushing it off you. I know people say albergues aren't well heated but that's probably the exception to the rule, and even a light bag will keep you warm.

For this reason, there's not much reason to have a liner and a sleeping bag.imo

I'll go with ties. Quiet and don't snag.iMO you do well to have both and use as appropriate.

I use a lightweight, not too thick, non-slippery, inexpensive NatureHike brand sleeping bag. The few times I need more warmth I add my cozy fleece, and if I get too warm (rare as I do not walk in summer), then I unzip it partway and stick my leg out; works a charm and the bedbugs love that leg.😉

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My favoured combo is a silk liner (for hygiene) and then a lightweight quilt on top, scrunched down at the bottom end to make a footbox (also stops quilt escaping in the wee small hours).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Small pieces of Velcro in the right places could work

I have a lightweight travel blanket (Rumpl) that I put inside the liner, so it stays next to my body. Not sure if your quilt is thin enough to allow this. It sort of turns my liner into a sleeping bag.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just curious. Those liners strangle me. I've never stayed in an albergue that didn't at least offer paper sheets.
Hi, the papersheets are on the matres. The liner is between you and the blanket/ sleepingbag and the papersheet. I use als a liner for hygiëne !

Hi, the papersheets are on the matres. The liner is between you and the blanket/ sleepingbag and the papersheet. I use als a liner for hygiëne !
Yeah. The paper sheets are clean each use so I don't feel it's necessary but to each his/her own.

Just curious. Those liners strangle me. I've never stayed in an albergue that didn't at least offer paper sheets.
I have OFTEN stayed in Albergues that didn't offer paper sheets. In fact I'd say the majority of them didn't! I used safety pins to attach my quilt to my liner. I have a wide, rectangular liner, so no strangling occurs.

I have OFTEN stayed in Albergues that didn't offer paper sheets. In fact I'd say the majority of them didn't! I used safety pins to attach my quilt to my liner. I have a wide, rectangular liner, so no strangling occurs.
Really? So you've stayed in albergues that just offered a bare mattress?
I've never seen that.
Every albergue I've slept in has either had real sheets or, lately, paper sheets.
Interesting.

Snaps - I purchased a beautiful silk liner and a lightweight down blanket from a member on this forum who makes them. I’m not sure if she still does. The liner has snaps on the upper inside and upper outer. So I can snap the quilt in place if I need it on chilly nights. The liner also has straps to secure it to the corners of the mattress. Pillow case included. I love it.
View attachment 164411
yEP. thats kinda what I had in mind, I dont understand about the straps, though. Can you please explain?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As @Anniesantiago asked, why do you have both a sleeping bag and a liner? One answer might be that sometimes you want the warmer one and sometimes just the liner, so you would just use one. If you need even more warmth, then put one bag inside the other bag (whichever works better, given the slipperiness, etc.) If you put ribbon ties at the top corners of each, tie them together so one will not slip down inside.

Some of us put a small quilt inside the liner, to make a minimalist sleeping bag. The quilt is only one layer, the same size as the liner when laid flat, so it doesn't provide a lot of cosy wraparound, but it is usually enough during the warmish seasons. You can attach the corners of the quilt to the inside corners of the liner, using snaps or even little ribbon ties, to hold the quilt in place. Then when you crawl in, you crawl under the quilt layer so the quilt is on top of you for warmth. However, if you have a larger "quilt", it won't go inside the liner like this. (Is this confusing? Maybe we need diagrams! 😄 )

Since you are going in October, you might want the warmer sleeping bag. Maybe you don't need the liner at all.
Hi CC - I'm going in April. I last walked Oct 2023. Cant stay away!
I use the liner inside of the bag (or in this case, the quilt - it zips up likle a bag or unzips the whole way to lie open like a blanket. Ribbon ties are a great idea! I would not have thought of doing that.

I had that problem. My quilt was one sided so even more of a problem. I sewed a bit of tape to each corner of the silk liner. I tied the tape to the drawstring at each corner of the quilt. If your quilt hasn´t got drawstrings, you will have to sew tape to that as well. For extra warmth, I turned everything inside out so that the quit was inside the liner. When it was hot, I just used the liner without the quilt.

This is more or less what C Clearly does so it probably works.
Dick Bird - I dont understand why one would put the quilt inside the liner. It IS a liner. CC said this too. I dont get it.

I thought about safety pins but they cou;d easily rip the fabric or open during the night.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
yEP. thats kinda what I had in mind, I dont understand about the straps, though. Can you please explain?
Here’s a photo. The straps go underneath the twin sized mattress corner to corner at the bottom then same at the head of the mattress. Keeps the liner from sliding around. 😎👣🌻 can you see by the photo?
IMG_4747.jpeg

Reason for using a liner and bag:
1. Option to use either one alone, or together to add warmth.
2. Hygiene
3. Mattress only, no paper sheets offered in 3 of the albergues I stayed in fall 2023.
4. I dont like sleeping directly on the paper sheets, hate the way they feel.

Dick Bird - I dont understand why one would put the quilt inside the liner. It IS a liner. CC said this too. I dont get it.
I can snap mine on the inside too. I guess for when it’s really cold and you don’t want it sliding off. I prefer mine on the outside so I can easily adjust if I get too warm.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
See? I knew I'd get great solutions here!!!! And it is so interesting to hear how people use the same equipment differently.

I am going to use ties and maybe add a strap like FourSeason's kit.

I dont understand why one would put the quilt inside the liner.
Because the small quilt seems to drape a little better around the body, and you can adjust it more easily inside. It isn't going anywhere! But since you have a full size sleeping bag, you have lots of warm coverage. Maybe the ties will do the job well.
2. Hygiene
3. Mattress only, no paper sheets offered in 3 of the albergues I stayed in fall 2023.
You don't need both liner and bag in order to accomplish #3 and #4 - .

For #2, are you concerned that you will sweat and need to wash the bag or liner during your trip? If so, then go ahead and put the liner inside the bag and attach it at the top with ties or snaps as suggested. But then you need to put up with the nuisance of the extra layer!

As per my post #9, I use a lightweight sleeping bag, but I have always brought the bottom sheet and pillowcase from a $6. Dollar store twin set. It has elastic around the edge and fits over all the albergue mattresses in a few seconds. I spray it with Permethrin before leaving home, along with the outside of my sleeping bag, but not the pillowcase. They are flimsy and weigh so little I do not mind bringing them. I stuff the sheet inside the pillowcase and secure with a rubber band. If paper sheets are given, I do not use them.
I have had all three types of mattress experiences...rubbery plastic; cotton sheets (sometimes clean or soiled); and paper sheets that seem to be more the norm in recent years.

2. Hygiene
Out of curiosity, which albergues were those and did they offer real sheets or a bare mattress?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The idea is to have something that is effectively a liner on one side and a quilt on the other. That way, when it is hot you put it on the bed quilt side down (or take out the quilt) and when it is cool you put it on the bed quilt side up. Having it inside the liner attached at the corners keeps it nicely in place, whereas if you just laid it on top it could easily just slide off. The combo item is a little bulkier/heavier than a liner, but not so much as a sleeping bag. If the concern is hygiene, both are washable.

Here in Canada, MEC sells a similar bag (liner on one side, quilt on the other) they even call their "Camino" bag.

I've got one custom-made that additionally has elastic cords attached at the corners that go around the corners of the mattress to keep the whole things from sliding all over the mattress, which is useful to me.

Out of curiosity, which albergues were those and did they offer real sheets or a bare mattress?
For what it is worth, when I slept at the often recommended albergue in Grañon, there were no sheets offered of any kind to go on the mats. But then again, they didn't have pillows either.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks all! I have sewn in both ties and a few small snaps.
Last night when trying to fall asleep my mind was occupied with trying to figure out the elastic -around- the - mattress part.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.