A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Ad

Luggage Storage in Santiago

- Ship your things to Santiago, pick them up when you arrive.

Advertisement

The new and cleaned up Cathedral

Advertisment

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Walked French and English
Cylced French and Portuguese
We've returned every year since 2013, and will be again in August. I must admit my heart sank a little when I first seen the scaffolding (think it was in August 2014) but was just glad that we had the memory without in 2013. Already looking forward to the fresh face....

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
What is the latest word on the interior renovation schedule, and the parts of the cathedral that will be restricted from visits?

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
I miss the ferns...
Was starting to thing I was the only one. I know the restoration had to be done to protect the fabric of the building but I really liked the feeing of timelessness all the vegetation gave the cathedral.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte, Madrid-Salv-Primitivo
Was starting to thing I was the only one. I know the restoration had to be done to protect the fabric of the building but I really liked the feeing of timeless all the vegetation gave the cathedral.
So true! The cathedral in 2012 before the restoration work started:

DSCN1640b.jpg

Jill

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago in 2015 and Camino Finisterre in September 2017
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2014
Added July 12th:
I just realised that the photos from Instagram might now show if you are not on Instagram... here are the same photos uploaded to the forum:

--

On Instagram...
http://instagr.am/p/BlDPYjTHTX4/ http://instagr.am/p/Bk2kq2EHvvk/
I’m so excited to see her without the scaffolding that was in place when I made my first Camino. I’m on my second Camino now. I’ll arrive in about 3 weeks. I can’t wait.

Ivar- I recall some question of whether the botafumiero will still be in use inside the Cathedral now because of work being done on it. Do you have any updates?

Thank you for all you do for us,

Sandi

Camino(s) past & future
frances(Sept 2018)
Now the inside!
I will be there at the end of September and have been trying to find out what the state of the inside will be. I know at some point pilgrims masses will be held at another location. Does anyone know what the interior renovation schedule looks like?

Earthkeeper

Have teapot; will travel
Camino(s) past & future
Salvador Sept (2017) Primitivo Sept (2017)
Arriving last Sept, it was all hidden and encrusted with scaffolding. I will be walking again, this time from Porto in October, and so looking forward to being met by the cathedral's smiling face.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Oporto (2018 - planned)
I am curious, can you get in through the front doors and enter through the Portico de Gloria, once again, as I did in 1989? Or do we still have to walk around to the side entrance I used in 2016?

(I am resigned to the fact that I will never again be able to lay my hand on the pillar in the Portico, as I did in 1989.)

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
(I am resigned to the fact that I will never again be able to lay my hand on the pillar in the Portico, as I did in 1989.)
I have missed having the opportunity to do that again on my more recent Caminos. A very tangible link with so many millions who passed through that doorway before us. Somehow entering through a side door just doesn't have the same dramatic appeal. Perhaps it is a salutory lesson in humility...

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Looks great !

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when the last time was that it was cleaned? (if ever!!!)

Terri B

Camino(s) past & future
1998 St Cuthberts Way
1999 West Highland Way
2016 Camino Frances SJPDP to Santiago
I see you did st Cuthberts 20 years ago. My sis and I are thinking we may do it next year. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that hike.
Wow, thanks for reminding me @Letsgocamino I forgot it was 20 years ago, how time flies.
It was a lovely hike from memory, through some lovely countryside, particularly around the ruined Abbeys and over the Cheviot hills. My overriding memory though was walking barefoot at low tide through the North Sea over to Lindesfarne Holy Island. Very chilly.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ) ,Via San Francesco, Italy (2017 )
Camino Portugese (2018 )
Camino(s) past & future
I plan to leave South Africa on 15 September and return on 14 October 2018.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances,Via Francegena,di Francesco,Portugues,Finisterre,,Norte(Partial), Ingles,La Plata(19)
Is the Tree of Jesse still protected … having been 5 times since 2012 my first Camino I am really looking forward to seeing you and John next year when I finish the VDLP

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15 & 16 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo (Sept.)
FB_IMG_1474937303747.jpg

This picture was from our first Camino and arrival in Santiago in April 2014. We have been back to Santiago in 2016 and 2017 after other Camino's.
Excited to see the cathedral again late September after our Camino Primitivo.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept 2017
Camino Frances Sept 2020
The pictures are amazing. I am definitely going to have walk again so I can see it in all it's glory. Thank you for the photos.

Camino(s) past & future
Done the full Camino Francais last year and plan to do an extended Portuguese this year.
Hhmm. I actually ended my first Camino in November last year. I knew nothing about any Cathedral restoration until I got there. After 800km nothing was going to stop me. This is a copy of a section of my blog at the time. "The final thing, and for a pilgrim a very special thing, is to place your hand on the column in the portico where the big statue of St. James is. Millions of pilgrims have done this over the centuries and there are grooves in the stonework where those millions of fingers have rested. Sadly, restoration work is currently being carried out on the Cathedral and the entire front section of it is all locked away behind security boarding and scaffolding. These works are not due to be completed for another 4 years so pilgrims will not get access for a very long time and just have to live with it. However, those that know me well, know that to me, these are just obstacles to be overcome. My first furtive attempt at gaining access failed dismally as I got lost in amongst all the scaffolding and plastic sheeting before the sound of workers voices approaching made me do a runner. What I had found though, was an access door into that section that the builders clearly thought was secure. So, right at the end of one service, whilst the workers were still sitting around waiting for the all clear to carry on, I made my second attempt. Within 5 minutes of being undisturbed, working my way through a maze of scaffolding and protective boarding and plastic sheeting, I found it. There he was, and there was the column and hand position just waiting for me to place mine. I was one happy (if slightly naughty) pilgrim."
20171107_125138.jpg

Ghislaine

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francès , 2006
Puy-en-Velay à Conques, 2009
Camino Del Norte, 2012
Camino portuguese, 2018
Thank you for sharing Ivar. What a beauty! Wish it would have seen it this way in April... Well, well... I guess I will have to walk again next year!:D

Camino(s) past & future
September 2016
Gorgeous! I was in Santiago on a Spanish course in 1995 before scaffolding so was quite shocked when I completed my first Camino in 2016. I am looking forward to seeing the beautiful cathedral all cleaned up on my next Camino this September. Thank you Ivan for sharing those photos.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2017
Thanks Ivar, it look fabulous. When I finished my Camino in November 2017, I had no idea it was being refurbished so was surprised and a little disappointed to walk into the square (in the rain) and see it covered in scaffold. Does that mean I'll have to do another Camino.....hmmm???

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
I was one happy (if slightly naughty) pilgrim."
:eek:
And you are proud of yourself??
Words fail me.
There are reasons to keep people away.
Please understand, if you can, that the selfish actions of one 'pilgrim,' if multiplied by 300,000 per year can seriously harm what authorities are trying to protect.

Sorry...back on topic.
Thank you Ivar. Indeed. The cathedral IS soooo gorgeous now!
20180703_192057.jpg

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata Oct 17
Primitivo Aug 18
Thank you so much for the photos Ivar. Can't wait to see it myself at the end of Aug.

Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Hhmm. I actually ended my first Camino in November last year. I knew nothing about any Cathedral restoration until I got there. After 800km nothing was going to stop me. This is a copy of a section of my blog at the time. "The final thing, and for a pilgrim a very special thing, is to place your hand on the column in the portico where the big statue of St. James is. Millions of pilgrims have done this over the centuries and there are grooves in the stonework where those millions of fingers have rested. Sadly, restoration work is currently being carried out on the Cathedral and the entire front section of it is all locked away behind security boarding and scaffolding. These works are not due to be completed for another 4 years so pilgrims will not get access for a very long time and just have to live with it. However, those that know me well, know that to me, these are just obstacles to be overcome. My first furtive attempt at gaining access failed dismally as I got lost in amongst all the scaffolding and plastic sheeting before the sound of workers voices approaching made me do a runner. What I had found though, was an access door into that section that the builders clearly thought was secure. So, right at the end of one service, whilst the workers were still sitting around waiting for the all clear to carry on, I made my second attempt. Within 5 minutes of being undisturbed, working my way through a maze of scaffolding and protective boarding and plastic sheeting, I found it. There he was, and there was the column and hand position just waiting for me to place mine. I was one happy (if slightly naughty) pilgrim."
View attachment 44543
Sorry but this kind of action really infuriates me! Imho you are not "slightly naughty" but very inconsiderate towards the cathedral, the Church as an institution and also towards the construction workers there. These men and women should not need to worry about a pilgrim with a sense of wrong entitlement to interfere with their work.
I really need an emoticon here " shakes head in bewilderment".

But indeed back to the topic : the restoration is gorgeous and I hope to see it in the autumn.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
I plan to be in Santiago on July 20th. Will I be able to see the botafumeiro swing?
Maybe, maybe not. There's no way to know ahead of time.
This year for the first time I was 0 for 4 - which was a surprise but not really a disappointment. The mass is the point, and it's very special.

Sorry but this kind of action really infuriates me! Imho you are not "slightly naughty" but very inconsiderate towards the cathedral, the Church as an institution and also towards the construction workers there. These men and women should not need to worry about a pilgrim with a sense of wrong entitlement to interfere with their work.
I really need an emoticon here " shakes head in bewilderment".

But indeed back to the topic : the restoration is gorgeous and I hope to see it in the autumn.
Both @VNwalking and @SabineP hit the nail on the head in their reactions to @Jane Farmer 's post. It would appear that she is quite proud of herself:oops:, why is beyond me. As if walking 800 km entitles anyone to anything. Maybe it was just something to check off a bucket list. Camino: check. Hand on pillar portico: check.

Camino(s) past & future
'
Both @VNwalking and @SabineP hit the nail on the head in their reactions to @Jane Farmer 's post. It would appear that she is quite proud of herself:oops:, why is beyond me. As if walking 800 km entitles anyone to anything. Maybe it was just something to check off a bucket list. Camino: check. Hand on pillar portico: check.
It is rare that someone shows such disrespect as @JaneFarmer does and brags about it publicly. Where to start ...

cherrys

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept/Oct (2013), Finisterre/Muxia Oct (2013), Camino Frances and on to Finisterre Sept/Oct (2016)
Beautiful! When I arrived Oct ‘13 the scaffolding had just started. I’ve watched it creep across the face on two succeeding Camino (even finally managed the rooftop tour last spring). So this October I can’t wait to see it again. I’ll have a new picture for my home page. But then again I liked the vegetation too!

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
'
I am curious, can you get in through the front doors and enter through the Portico de Gloria, once again, as I did in 1989? Or do we still have to walk around to the side entrance I used in 2016?
For the time being, as of 27 July 2018, visits of the Portico de la Gloria will be possible for groups of maximum 25 persons with a duration of 15 minutes per visit. This will change in autumn 2018, when the portal will be encapsulated (to protect it from restoration works elsewhere in the Cathedral if I understand correctly) but it's not clear to me how the visits will be organised then and what this encapsulation entails.
See http://catedraldesantiago.es/programa-de-visitas-al-portico-de-la-gloria/

I truly sympathise. However, the more I think about it - and having recently seen the damage that many hands can cause over time in a different statue elsewhere and that I, too, had touched in 1980 - the more I hope that the Cathedral will not give in to any pressure from tourism and keep everyone away from touching anything. Several years ago, they expressed this opinion (Google translate): "The Cathedral spokesperson stated that the Cathedral does not approve of the ritual of putting fingers on the stone or headbanging, because it is an empty ritual, it is meaningless and out of place in the 21st century, a minor pleasure compared to the evil that is done to our heritage, something that is protected everywhere without anyone complaining". In addition, "it is sad to see people, who do not know what they are doing, they put their hands in there and they do not even look at what is around them, the great beauty of the Portal. The Cathedral hopes that a new habit will be established among visitors: "To look up and to value and admire. The Portal is a jewel." That was in 2008, ten years ago.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
As if walking 800 km entitles anyone to anything. Maybe it was just something to check off a bucket list. Camino: check. Hand on pillar portico: check.
Don't forget to tick off the 'share it on the blog'
It is rare that someone shows such disrespect as @JaneFarmer does and brags about it publicly. Where to start ...
Indeed.
Unfortunately, in the look-at-me world of blog-land, it is probably more common than we know. But I'm not going there to find out.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (SJPdP-Burgos, 2015)
Camino Frances (Burgos-Sarria, 2018)
Sarria-Santiago (fall 2018)
The cathedral looks breath-taking.

I was disappointed this spring when injury slowed me down and I didn't make it to Santiago. But St. James provides! I will be back in October. And now I'll get to see the Cathedral cleaned up and scaffold free. (At least on the outside. ;))

Camino(s) past & future
Done the full Camino Francais last year and plan to do an extended Portuguese this year.
:eek:
And you are proud of yourself??
Words fail me.
There are reasons to keep people away.
Please understand, if you can, that the selfish actions of one 'pilgrim,' if multiplied by 300,000 per year can seriously harm what authorities are trying to protect.

Sorry...back on topic.
Thank you Ivar. Indeed. The cathedral IS soooo gorgeous now!
View attachment 44556
Thankyou for your reply Vnwalking. I really do understand the selfishness bit. I also totally get the 300,000 thinking.
I was so in awe (and respect) of the whole experience that is was very important to me. If I did make a mistake then it was probably talking about it and opening myself up to attack by those that don't understand.
Take care.

Camino(s) past & future
plan to walk in 2018
fabulous photos - i came in April and hope to go back. Does anyone know when interior restoration will commence and how long it will prevent the botafumeiro from swinging?

Camino(s) past & future
Hello
Thankyou you all for your replies.
One thing I don't have is some kind of tick box list as those that know me will testify. If some of you are fixated on that, then each to their own.
As for respect, again you couldn't be more wrong. I have more respect than you can ever imagine. It meant so much to me and I wasn't sure I would have the chance again. I won't criticise any of you for thinking that as I am only too aware that you have no knowledge of my Camino and what happened to me on the way...you are just swinging out wildly.
If I have made a mistake, it has to be in posting it here. I guess I didn't realise how people would judge so quickly without knowing anything, and that post on its own did not help.
Although not pleased to see them, I suppose I should expect remarks like those. The world is full of critics and forums have their share of views on things that can be delivered brutally and without respect or thought.
My Camino was a wonderful thing and so totally spiritually uplifting. I met some wonderful people and made friends that will be lifelong.
I am sorry, but you cannot spoil it for me. I wish you all well on you walks.
Buen Camino
Jane.

Thankyou for the wonderful pictures. The Cathedral is looking truly amazing.

Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
@Jane Farmer : ok.Let me make a comparison.
You own a house and a lovely garden full of flowers and fruittrees. You ask a contractor to do some major work on the house.
The contractor posts signs up for safety reasons.
How would you react if X-amount of passers-by would ignore the signs and find a way to your garden?
And then pick all your lovely flowers and steal all the fruit.
Just because they feel entitled?

Btw respect always goes both ways.

Camino(s) past & future
@Jane Farmer : ok.Let me make a comparison.
You own a house and a lovely garden full of flowers and fruittrees. You ask a contractor to do some major work on the house.
The contractor posts signs up for safety reasons.
How would you react if X-amount of passers-by would ignore the signs and find a way to your garden?
And then pick all your lovely flowers and steal all the fruit.
Just because they feel entitled?

Btw respect always goes both ways.
It certainly does Sabine.

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago route 2016. Would like to do another part of the french way route starting in the Pyrenees in 2017
Can't wait to see it in all it's glory in person. Thank you for sharing Ivar.
We've returned every year since 2013, and will be again in August. I must admit my heart sank a little when I first seen the scaffolding (think it was in August 2014) but was just glad that we had the memory without in 2013. Already looking forward to the fresh face....

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 26 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 94 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 156 26.0%