• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Story of Madam Bernat

Pat Beals

Time of past OR future Camino
Start Camino Frances Sept 9 2015
Camino Frances Aug 22 2017
Hello Everyone,
I am in SJPDP staying in Maison E Bernat and somewhere in my fuzzy memory is a story about Madam Bernat who people had to go to and explain why they were walking to Santiago and she would determine if you were a true pilgrim or not.

I'm sure I don't have the story correct or even the whole story. Would someone please fill in the blanks or head me in the right direction, please? I have tried Gooling it, but no success.

Thanks, Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It might be worth asking the owners of the property. However, I think you may have in mind one of two other characters: one fictional, the other very definitely real. In his book "The Pilgrimage" ("O Diário de Um Mago") Paulo Coelho has a character called Madame Lourdes (or in some translations 'Madame Savin') who receives the main character very gruffly until he mentions the password of a secret society. After that she blesses him and arranges for a guide to accompany him. Many people believe that Madame Lourdes is a fictionalised version of the very real and frankly no less intimidating Madame Debril - a lady who was for years the secretary of the local Amis de Saint Jacques and who was the one-woman predecessor of the current pilgrim office there. She would interview prospective pilgrims very thoroughly and only issued credencials to those she deemed worthy pilgrims. Many were turned away empty handed. I made the mistake of disturbing her at lunchtime which did not improve my chances. After mentioning a well-known Camino personality of the day with whom I had a very slight connection and who she clearly disapproved of she promptly refused me a Credencial and told me I could probably get one in Roncesvalles :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I knew I didn't have it right. I love your story. You are lucky to have met her.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From chapter 2 of Jack Hitt's book "OFF THE ROAD - A Modern-day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route Into Spain."
"Madame Debril, the Governess of Pilgrims, lives among the older houses on narrow cobble streets within the wall, number 44, rue de la Citadel."

Jack's details her reputation and describes his meeting with her. It takes up a fair proportion of chapter 2.
Could this be the person you are after?
EDIT: APPARENTLY IT IS!
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We may have to start a new thread. I want to know the judging criteria. So I can make sure my next camino complies.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Imagine the outrage and screams of injustice if she was on duty today. The presumptuous old harpy JUDGED peoples' caminos!! :eek: Unthinkable!
:D:D:D

We may have to start a new thread. I want to know the judging criteria. So I can make sure my next camino complies.
Well, since we all carry around our own internalized (and unique) ideas about those are, you can choose for yourself, @Kanga! But mum's the word, lest someone else takes umbrage and decides to pick a fight.:p:D

No one could set up in judgement on you dear.
But perhaps they should on me.
I know without a doubt that my reaction to Madame Debril's oft quoted abrasive demeanour would have elicited an at least equaly vociferous response.
My blood boils quickly, much too quickly according to some, when injustice or even the more simple 'rudeness' is perceived.
I would have it no other way.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Imagine the outrage and screams of injustice if she was on duty today. The presumptuous old harpy JUDGED peoples' caminos!! :eek: Unthinkable!

I know without a doubt that my reaction to Madame Debril's off quoted abrasive demeanour would have elicited an at least equaly vociferous response.
My blood boils quickly, much too quickly according to some, when injustice or even the more simple 'rudeness' is perceived.

As someone who met Madame Debril - albeit very briefly - and met with her disapproval I think I should say that my own response was rather different. I do not think that her judgments were arbitrary or capricious. My own impression was that she had a deeply seated personal understanding of what pilgrimage should be and felt a duty to defend that concept. She would certainly have had no time for the relativism of "it's MY camino". Although I walked away from her door chastened and empty-handed I also did so with respect for her integrity.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Everyone,
I am in SJPDP staying in Maison E Bernat and somewhere in my fuzzy memory is a story about Madam Bernat who people had to go to and explain why they were walking to Santiago and she would determine if you were a true pilgrim or not.

I'm sure I don't have the story correct or even the whole story. Would someone please fill in the blanks or head me in the right direction, please? I have tried Gooling it, but no success.

Thanks, Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Everyone,

Thanks, Buen Camino.
I had the pleasure of meeting her and being vetted by her. She was intimidating and definitely a guard of the camino. She would have pilgrims waiting at her apartment for her. All the pilgrims had letters from churches or credential from the Confraternity of St James. Not us Americans, so she made us wait for last. As we stood in her studio apartment that was quite small but full if books and small church paraphernalia she asked serious questions. We are not church people however we were more if a spiritual walker and she was skeptical. I had paid an American group called friends of America that was taking money for credentials that were never sent, lucky that I had the print outs with the info. My mother and I at 22 and 42 started a journey that most new very little. Both our credentials have her signature

Attachments

• 16077921580207734450687767788976.jpg
    16077921580207734450687767788976.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back