• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Way by Michael Sheen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Who's to say. Wont be the 1st time when someone tried to capitalized on something already established.
I know that there is a lot of movies etc. that have "Camino" in them but of course have nothing to do with Camino de Santiago.
I'm sure that those who are seeking a film about "our" Way will stop watching within first 5 mins; everyone else, well thats a different story
nothing anyone can do about it. I doubt very much that the phrase "The Way" is patented....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I read Michael as Martin thinking this was the sequel to “The Way” and I got very confused reading the article. I also got a little irritated with Martin but alas I discovered my error so Martin is still on my good list.

I read Michael as Martin thinking this was the sequel to “The Way” and I got very confused reading the article.
Yup, me too. I then thought it was a BBC remake, 'updated, done better, with more diverse cast, etc.', and then i thought, oh, but the BBC can't afford filming on location, so will do it around Port Talbot.

Or, maybe, it'll be about hard core pilgrims setting off to SdC all the way from Port Talbot...

But no, it's just someone (mischievously) making it difficult to find the correct film via Google.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think I could probably spot the difference between Pamplona and Port Talbot.

You obviously have a keen idea for industrial plants, being able to spot one of the biggest steel works in the world, and the lack of one.........in Pamplona......... :D

I too wondered how they were going to make Port Talbot look like Northern Spain :rolleyes:

1694072726319.png

From Zubiri to Urdaniz, the Camino passes the rather large Magna industrial plant. Could be some kind of mineral extraction facility given many large piles of sands in various grades.

You obviously have a keen idea for industrial plants, being able to spot one of the biggest steel works in the world, and the lack of one.........in Pamplona......... :D
I passed through Port Talbot on my way home by bus yesterday. I was in Pamplona last week. So both are still fairly fresh in my mind. :cool: And I walked through Port Talbot on my route from home to Santiago a few years ago. If I ever do sell the film rights for that particular story I'm going to stipulate that my character should be played by Gregor Fisher.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Port Talbot can look quite atmospheric in the dark … though there are now fewer lights than there used to be.
It’s also far less smelly than it used to be, to drive through (on the M4).

Having said all that, there are some beautiful hills in its environs, and it’s not that far south of the western edge of Bannau Brycheiniog (Brecon Beacons National Park)
Lots of beautiful waterfalls not far away …

Some interesting pilgrim routes in Wales too … 😉

Is this deliberate?

It's going to be easy to confuse this with The way starring Martin Sheen.
Not really easy to confuse. A cursory glance at the link and you find this:

The Way was filmed in and around Port Talbot and will air on BBC One and iPlayer next year. The three-part drama tells the story of an ordinary family caught up in an extraordinary chain of events that ripple out from their home town.

and this:

... The Way taps into the social and political chaos of today’s world by imagining a civil uprising which begins in a small industrial town. Fleeing unrest, The Driscolls are forced to escape the country they’ve always called home and the certainties of their old lives. Will they be overwhelmed by their memories of the past, or will they lay their ghosts to rest and take the risk of an unknown future?

The Way is an emotional and darkly humorous story about what it means to be faced with impossible choices.

But no, it's just someone (mischievously) making it difficult to find the correct film via Google.

I don't buy the conspiracy theory. 😀 It’s obvious it's not set in Spain nor to do with the Camino. And as for the director (also actor) Michael Sheen - well that's his name so he likely didn't think it necessary to change it.

As well as this TV series, there are other movies called The Way in addition to the one starring Martin Sheen. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I too wondered how they were going to make Port Talbot look like Northern Spain :rolleyes:

View attachment 155900

As a counter to this industrial landscape, this was taken less than 6 miles from the centre of Port Talbot:

1694094666238.jpeg

And this about 16 miles away:

1694094866363.jpeg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nevertheless, Americans being Americans (I am one by birth), The Martin Sheen/Emilio Estevez's Family corporate lawyer is likely already on the case. You might be amazed at what names have to be changed. For instance, down the road about a km. from me a new small neighborhood in a small city in South Carolina, was built off the main street and named Abbey Road. The developer of the property received a strong legal notice telling him that they could not use that name. Then it was named The Abbey, a religious site in the US sent them a similar letter. Now it does not have an official name.

€83,-
Nevertheless, Americans being Americans (I am one by birth), The Martin Sheen/Emilio Estevez's Family corporate lawyer is likely already on the case. You might be amazed at what names have to be changed. For instance, down the road about a km. from me a new small neighborhood in a small city in South Carolina, was built off the main street and named Abbey Road. The developer of the property received a strong legal notice telling him that they could not use that name. Then it was named The Abbey, a religious site in the US sent them a similar letter. Now it does not have an official name.
I am not a lawyer but they did cover some intellectual property law when I was in grad school. Your story about Abbey Road is a bit hard to fathom. For trademarks to be violated, there has to be a reasonable chance of confusion. I find it hard to believe that anyone would confuse a residential neighborhood in South Carolina with a Beatles album or a religious site elsewhere in the country.

Look at how many different books share the same title. I don't foresee any issues with the TV series on this account.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.