• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update on The Way 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So where is Deborah Unger? :-(
I thought that the first film was a bit too clichéd with the main characters. The American lead was initially very insular in his thinking and probably had trouble pointing to France on a map, the Dutch character a very laid-back drug abuser, the Irishman a prolix drunk. Plus of course the rucksack thief had to be Roma... :-( Ms Unger's character was the only one to play against the stereotype - aren't all Canadians tediously and consistently polite and cheerful?

I thought the film first and foremost was made for entertainment. It was not meant to be a documentary of "real" people. I personally enjoyed the characters as they were portrayed and thoroughly enjoyed the film. I actually preferred it to a couple of other documentary styles ones I have seen since; some good, some not so good, imo.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I thought the film first and foremost was made for entertainment. It was not meant to be a documentary of "real" people. I personally enjoyed the characters as they were portrayed and thoroughly enjoyed the film. I actually preferred it to a couple of other documentary styles ones I have seen since; some good, some not so good, imo.
I do understand that it was entertainment and not documentary. A distinction that sometimes seems to have been missed by some of the more avid fans of the movie. The choice to portray the rucksack thief as Roma does feel like a poor decision though.

I'm glad to see this new film but, based on the results of Way 1.0 and its recent re-release, I would anticipate an expanded surge of new pilgrims on the route: ie, even more.

Last edited:
I thought the film first and foremost was made for entertainment. It was not meant to be a documentary of "real" people. I personally enjoyed the characters as they were portrayed and thoroughly enjoyed the film.
I agree Chrissy. I’d walked the Frances twice before I saw this movie. I recall being reluctant in some ways to watch it. But, when I eventually did, I enjoyed it. Like you, saw it as entertainment - good storytelling, good actors and a fabulous landscape. It’s one thing to like or not like a film, but I’ve never understood the level of disdain expressed by some forum commentators whenever the subject comes up. 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The choice to portray the rucksack thief as Roma does feel like a poor decision though.
I agree, but it was a young teenager who could have just as easily been portrayed from any village or city along the Way. I saw it as a bit of "drama" added to the film for variety of entertainment value; nothing more. That said, I totally get what you are saying. Possibly an adult thief stealing a backpack in the night from an albergue would have been more accurate, and just as entertaining. He could have been apprehended later.🙂

I agree, but it was a young teenager who could have just as easily been portrayed from any village or city along the Way. I saw it as a bit of "drama" added to the film for variety of entertainment value; nothing more. That said, I totally get what you are saying. Possibly an adult thief stealing a backpack in the night from an albergue would have been more accurate, and just as entertaining. He could have been apprehended later.🙂
It’s many years since I’ve seen the film - maybe I’ll watch it again 😎. But I do still remember one thing that jarred - the female character wearing jeans. I kept thinking how hot and uncomfortable. 😉

The choice to portray the rucksack thief as Roma does feel like a poor decision though.
I agree. It reinforces ancient stereotypes. However, here is a quote from an interview with Sheen and Estevez: One episode in the film involves a group of Roma Gypsies from Burgos. Emilio said they were proud to gain their trust. A relative of theirs had taught Roma children and persuaded them to join the project. Given the harsh treatment the Roma community receives across Europe, they said they were particularly glad to include them in the film.

Burgos has - or had at the time - a Gitano shanty town in the outskirts of Burgos. A real scandal for a town in Europe in the 21st century. I guess these movie scenes were meant to project positive images such as that Roma and Sinti people live to the same high moral standards as anybody else, i.e. stealing is not ok and that's what you teach your children.

I think this message failed miserably and did not reach the viewers. All that people take from it, other than pure entertainment, is that Martin Sheen's backpack got stolen in Burgos and that one should go to Muxia. And perhaps it also has the opposite effect and does reinforce the stereotype that "Gypsy" children steal.

I am looking forward to the scenes in The Way II that will take place in Amsterdam, Dublin, Brussels and France. Perhaps there will be some annoying or amusing howlers in it, too? :cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think this message failed miserably to reach the viewers.
I wonder if this might be an accident of geography and history? My impression is that the majority of the fanbase for the movie is in North America. The movie had very limited distribution elsewhere. Perhaps the very troubled history of relationships between the Roma and the majority populations in countries throughout Europe is less well known and understood by an audience in the USA and Canada?

I think this message failed miserably to reach the viewers. All that people take from it, other than pure entertainment, is that Martin Sheen's backpack got stolen in Burgos and that one should go to Muxia.
Not true for me. What I took from the film was the excitement of thinking about a very long walk in a new country I had not been before where I could sleep indoors every night, and not carry a week's worth of meals on my back at a time. The US does not really have these options on our long distance trails. I loved when they arrived in Santiago, which brought tears to my eyes and daydreamed that one day I might arrive there, too, even though the true pilgrimage aspect was lost on me at the time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I loved when they arrived in Santiago, which brought tears to my eyes and daydreamed that one day I might arrive there, too.
That was a very positive moment. I can remember entering the cathedral up the stairs from the Obradoiro through the Portico de la Gloria and putting my hand on the Tree of Jesse like many thousands before me. Sadly denied to those arriving today.

I've never liked Martin Sheen, so it is remarkable that I still like The Way. It is among a very few movies that I have in my library. I host international travelers in my home. Most are surprised at my question.

(If I show a movie that I think is worthwhile, the after-conversations are always the best part.)

IMO, Martin Sheen is has an exaggerated view of himself and he is super clever if his message gets through (perhaps subconsciously) to anyone.

Yes, I agree; this film could easily have come out of Hollywood.

I have watched the way multiple times and each time saw or got something different out of it. With that said, Mr. Estevez made this because this topic spoke to him. If this type of movie is not for you, don’t watch it.

I am 74 years old and grew up in a city with a very large “gypsy” population. I remember my mother telling me stories of thievery associated with that population, true or false I had no idea, just stories I was told. One thing I do know is their sense of family and community, that is undeniable and apparent.

I look forward to the next chapter with or without Deborah Unger who I found tedious😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do understand that it was entertainment and not documentary. A distinction that sometimes seems to have been missed by some of the more avid fans of the movie. The choice to portray the rucksack thief as Roma does feel like a poor decision though.
I was very interested in the Roma scenes as I have wrestled with my understanding/experiences of Roma in Europe. I appreciate the movie taking this European prejudice and difficulty on.
When I lived in Rome, I became marginally connected to a woman about my age who had a baby, about my baby's age, who begged for money outside the church I attended. She was there daily, and used to nurse her baby near the fountain in the sunlight. I would talk with her briefly and helped her with a supply of pampers every time i saw her. I wondered where she went in the evening and what her community was like. I wonder now where she is, and how that child has grown. He would be 26 years old now.
But also, I have been swarmed by Roma children and pick pocketed, and so I am wary of them at train stations. And I have friends who have had the same experience.

Reactions: RJM
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not true for me. What I took from the film was the excitement of thinking about a very long walk in a new country I had not been before where I could sleep indoors every night, and not carry a week's worth of meals on my back at a time. The US does not really have these options on our long distance trails. I loved when they arrived in Santiago, which brought tears to my eyes and daydreamed that one day I might arrive there, too, even though the true pilgrimage aspect was lost on me at the time.
I really enjoyed the film, bought the DVD and re-watch from time to time.
I think that if you know detail about any story or movie you'll always be able to spot mistakes or issues. I find the same with books, recently reading about someone 'rolling out choux pastry' to make eclairs.
A fictional move was produced about the harbour I live on. I had to watch it twice as the first time I was so distracted by the locational sequences which were artistically great, but physically impossible. The second time I was able to focus on the story.

There were many absurd and overplayed scenes in the film, and of course looking at it more than once, as it appears many of us have, we are going to spot more. I think artistic license is allowed regarding the sequence of locations, it always happens in movies, but the scene in Burgos where the Roma community have a big blazing fire with billowing smoke in the courtyard place, with spotless white linen sheets hanging out to dry from the balconies above is beyond absurd... or am I exaggerating it in my own memory? It was years ago...🤔

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok, I can think of many unrealistic things from the movie, but it doesn't spoil it for me. We watch it at least once a month. I also watch 6 Ways to Santiago every month. Everyone has his or her own tastes and I am hopeful that there will be a sequel.

, but the scene in Burgos where the Roma community have a big blazing fire with billowing smoke in the courtyard place, with spotless white linen sheets hanging out to dry from the balconies above is beyond absurd... or am I exaggerating it in my own memory? It was years ago...🤔
Attention The Way fans! That courtyard is easily found! I visited it in 2019.

Attachments

• 1707691899436.png
    1707691899436.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
I enjoyed the movie but agree with the cliche comment. I remember it being described as the wizard of oz, with Dorothy, lion, scarecrow and tin-man.
Yes exactly and

"Oz never did give nothing to the Tin-man
that he didn't already have"

(America 1970 or so)

And conversely as for the Catherine ("sorry Caroline") Burnham facsimile, a Camino (even extended to the coast) was never going to stop her smoking IF she was to simply continue blaming others for her lack of character

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes exactly and

"Oz never did give nothing to the Tin-man
that he didn't already have"

(America 1970 or so)

And conversely as for the Catherine ("sorry Caroline") Burnham facsimile, a Camino (even extended to the coast) was never going to stop her smoking IF she was to simply continue blaming others for her lack of character
I've read some perplexing posts in my time, but this leaves me scratching my head.
How is the quote relevant?
Why do you mention 'America 1970'?
Who is Ms Burnham? (I googled both of her and I'm no nearer.
Maybe I'm just old.

There were many absurd and overplayed scenes in the film, and of course looking at it more than once, as it appears many of us have, we are going to spot more. I think artistic license is allowed regarding the sequence of locations, it always happens in movies, but the scene in Burgos where the Roma community have a big blazing fire with billowing smoke in the courtyard place, with spotless white linen sheets hanging out to dry from the balconies above is beyond absurd... or am I exaggerating it in my own memory? It was years ago...🤔
I can't say that the sheets detracted from my enjoyment of the scene, which of course was intended to negate the preconceptions the characters had about gypsies.
And while I'm at it, would it have been more PC to have a 'Spanish' youth steal the backpack? Would the underlying message then be "Don't go to Burgos – the young people are all thieves?' Give me a break.

Thank you for the information. My husband and I are looking forward to the Way II coming out.
I've seen the Way many many times. Sometimes I put it on in the background just to listen to the music.

€46,-
I've read some perplexing posts in my time, but this leaves me scratching my head.
How is the quote relevant?
Why do you mention 'America 1970'?
Who is Ms Burnham? (I googled both of her and I'm no nearer.
Maybe I'm just old.
Well my reading of this very clever movie was same as the director Emilio, even before I read his take to salon

"The question is, when you go, can you keep it from being an Instagramable moment? Because that seems what it's all about now. It's like, "Here I am. Boom." You didn't enjoy the journey. You didn't enjoy the moment. You had to take that photo for who? Who cares? We've gone so far away from doing things to improve ourselves. We're now doing things to impress others to the point where we're just sort of lost the plot, in my opinion."

Tinman is a song by America about "the american condition"

American Beauty is a movie about "the american condition" where the title refers to a red rose that is beautiful on the outside but rotten inside. Ms Burnham grows the roses and kills her husband while young Ricky, high on Zoloft, just does his photo and says "wow".

Emilio is from the National Lampoon school of movie making/acting so he has disguised this as another boring doco but thrown in a whole heap of satirical moments (and a Kodak moment) but he leaves the best to the end where we see Boomer in Morocco and he is wearing one of those stupid scarves that are obligatory for all doco presenters, even in the searing heat of Egypt - BUT it does allow for the SEQUEL which I am looking forward to seeing.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well my reading of this very clever movie was same as the director Emilio
Hey! Thanks for that comprehensive response. Love the Emilio quote. Curiously I missed the 'Tinman' quote – definitely in my time-frame (I'm 78). Good song. I read the America reference as a country, not the band.
The scarf does stick in my memory too!

Hey! Thanks for that comprehensive response. Love the Emilio quote. Curiously I missed the 'Tinman' quote – definitely in my time-frame (I'm 78). Good song. I read the America reference as a country, not the band.
The scarf does stick in my memory too!
I'm 79 so 6 months too old to be a Boomer - and of course Tom is way too old but facts never got in the way of abuse opportunities from the blonde character depiction gal.

So are you in fact American? (I am Australian)

Have you seen American Beauty?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm 79 so 6 months too old to be a Boomer - and of course Tom is way too old but facts never got in the way of abuse opportunities from the blonde character depiction gal.

So are you in fact American? (I am Australian)

Have you seen American Beauty?
Tom was younger than me, and I'm a boomer!
No Australian, but a ten pound pom. (I put that in just to add to @C clearly's confusion.)
Yes, but I think your point is elusive!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe you could do us all a favour and post a poll "Did you like the The Way?" YES/NO and put this all to bed!
I posted the original message about an update on a sequel and of course it evolved into all kinds of other commentary per the usual forum thread...Just trying to bring it back to the original post.

I posted the original message about an update on a sequel and of course it evolved into all kinds of other commentary per the usual forum thread...Just trying to bring it back to the original post.
Although I'm a serial-offender in this case, I DO sympathise.

(except it led to a redemptive and "insider" moment to an insular culture...)

What pray tell is a Roma?

google says a football team or town in Oz
I’d say your Google is not working well. Many results came up for me, including this:

You may be more familiar with the term ‘gypsy’ though the two words are not synonymous. And many Roma people regard ‘gypsy’ as an insult.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What pray tell is a Roma? google says a football team or town in Oz
Roma or Roma and Sinti are the words that replace the word gypsy that is considered as a racial slur. Similar to what is referred to as the N-word.

If you had scrolled down a bit in your Google search you would have seen the search result Romani people - a Wikipedia article with plenty of information.

I watched the beginning of the scene in Burgos again. When the boy runs off with the backpack a kind of Flamenco type of soundtrack starts to accompany the visual scene.

It was apparently composed for the movie. It is called "Gypsy Thief". In 2010 ...! If I were not mixing my metaphors here I'd call this tone deaf.

There is a lot on this thread that I do not understand! 🤔 😖🫤😵‍💫
OK if I may be of assistance it seems that the sheets are getting smoked out by a BBQ to celebrate a "Roma style stealing incident" in The Way and many Pilgrims are willing to solve both issues.

Then there is a secondary issue of have Americans lost the plot about the Camino in general (as suggested by the director of The Way) and it seems a lot of folk would rather not go there.

I would hope both issues might continue to be ventilated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think to me it means if we chastise our children consider where they learnt that behaviour
I agree and my own experience when I think about it is my kids don't contact me very often these days BUT that was the case with me and MY dad - ie the "cat's in the cradle" issue.

But also kids have TWO parents and it seems that in this culture (which I am told now is Roma) the mother kept out of the issue as was the case in Western culture prior to 1970 with the small f feminist takeover which is now lost in history but the effects remain.

No Australian, but a ten pound pom. (I put that in just to add to @C clearly's confusion.)
Please define elusive (and welcome to Oz pom) - Lester says at the end of the movie "I am sure you didn't understand a word I said - but don't worry, one day you will"

or I can try to explain in the meantime if you don't want to wait for one day - for starters have you seen Jules and Jim which is the very start of all this content for the Unger character and her reason for being in the movie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A ten pound pom. Nice phrase. I thought about it... but moved west rather than around the world!
I also was caught by @Bradypus's comment about Canadians. My sister is a naturalised Canadian, and her delightful family are all super polite and enchanting...

Please define elusive (and welcome to Oz pom) - Lester says at the end of the movie "I am sure you didn't understand a word I said - but don't worry, one day you will"

or I can try to explain in the meantime if you don't want to wait for one day - for starters have you seen Jules and Jim which is the very start of all this content for the Unger character and her reason for being in the movie
As Elliot Ness said at the end of another great movie: "I think I'll have a drink".

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree and my own experience when I think about it is my kids don't contact me very often these days BUT that was the case with me and MY dad - ie the "cat's in the cradle" issue.
I think you're referring to Sydney Carter's Crow on the Cradle

The sheep's in the meadow, the cow's in the corn
Now is the time for a child to be born
Reach for the moon, and laugh at the sun
If he's a boy he'll carry a gun
Sang the crow on the cradle

If it should be that the baby's a girl
Never you mind if her hair doesn't curl
Rings on her fingers and bells on her toes
And a bomber above her wherever she goes

Rockabye baby, the black and the white
Somebody's baby was born for a fight
Rockabye baby, the white and the black
Somebody's baby is not coming back

Now your mammy and pappy, they scrape and they save
Lord they build you a coffin and they dig you a grave
Hushabye little one, never you weep
‘Cause we've got a toy that can put you to sleep

Bring me a gun and I'll shoot that bird dead
Yes that's what your mammy and pappy once said
Crow on the cradle, tell me what shall I do?
That is a thing that I leave up to you

Oops, just realised @Camo was probably referencing Harry Chapin, not Sydney Carter.

Last nights Tamnavulin hasn't quite worn off yet ;)
That's OK Tincatinker we all make mistakes - yes it was Harry Chapin and here is the final verse MY BOY WAS JUST LIKE ME

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, I'd like to see you if you don't mind
He said, I'd love to, dad, if I can find the time
You see, my new job's a hassle, and the kids have the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad
It's been sure nice talking to you
And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

Well, what can we discuss about a future movie where they have not even started filming and that has not yet been said before?

In this very recently active thread a forum member posted the same link to the "Goodfellas" news article as above and also linked to the Facebook group "The Way The Movie" where Emilio himself writes: "Thank you for your continued support of our film The Way. Lace up your hiking boots. The Way: Chapter 2. Let's go! Emilio." I think that this forum post got drowned in numerous irrelevant and off topic comments, and I guess that the Facebook group is the place to go for future news.

The thread had been started by @ivar in May last year. It has a link to an article in La Voz de Galicia about an interview with Emilio Estevez. He says that "I hope that by the second half of the year we can start shooting. The sequel takes place in Nigeria, Brussels, Dublin, Amsterdam and along the Camino del Norte." Tom does cataract operations in a remote village in Nigeria. He receives Jack's book. He hopes to find "answers to the questions posted by the book" - no mention of a disturbing secret there. This new quest takes Tom and Jack to Amsterdam and Spain.

The plan was to release the movie by Easter 2024. This is obviously not going to happen now as they have not even started filming yet.

He says with reference to the success and the reactions to The Way: "This film celebrates the idea that mourning, being able to devote your time to it, knowing how to face the losses, is something very necessary to continue living."

And he mentions the many viewers who write to him and to his father to thank them for the movie, that the movie has transformed people's lives and it's for them that he is going to do Chapter 2.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What pray tell is a Roma?

google says a football team or town in Oz
Probably a US thing, here in the Netherlands Google says the following,

The Roma are originally a nomadic people. The previously common name Gypsies is considered derogatory in the 21st century. The origin of the Roma probably lies in the Indian subcontinent. The best-known group in Europe are the Sinti.🙏🏻

I'm 79 so 6 months too old to be a Boomer
Some Britons of your age are Boomers, but that's only because the baby boom started earlier in England than elsewhere.

That was a very positive moment. I can remember entering the cathedral up the stairs from the Obradoiro through the Portico de la Gloria and putting my hand on the Tree of Jesse like many thousands before me. Sadly denied to those arriving today.
That was a memory that will stay with me, too!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What delighted me was to see Martin Sheen is in the titles as an executive producer under his real name of Ramon Gerard Estevez thus ending the long term regret between Marty and his dad Francisco

The weird ones are we Gen X -- stuck between being too young to be Boomers but too old to be Millennials ; and yet old and young enough to relate to both.
Or those of us born in the beginning of the 60s, counted as boomers by some and not by others. Too young to really relate to most of the Boomer culture (by the time we were teens, or even tweens the Beatles were history - I think the boomer cultural touchstones really work out best for those born about 1950) but too old to be counted as GenX.

Or those of us born in the beginning of the 60s, counted as boomers by some and not by others.
A cusp or micro generation. I’ve heard it called Generation Jones in the US. I don’t know if the name carries internationally, but perhaps the concept or experience does. Then Xennial for those born between the late 1970s and early 1980s, and Zillennial for those born in the mid-late 1990s. I do not know if there are words for similar transitions between Silent & Boomer, or Silent & Greatest.

There's some bits that they got right as well. I always have a laugh when, in the hotel room in SJPDP, putting on the pack ready to leave, he knocks the lamp over with his backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back