• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thinking of opening an albergue.is it possible?

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
Hallo everyone!!!!just wanted to share some thoughts and get some advices from whoever knows something!
I have walked two years ago the camino Frances and last year the north way and the primitivo way.
For me the way is something that I can't describe with words...I feel strongly connected with the way as many of you here.....I am pregnant and can't wait to give birth so I could walk with my baby to Santiago....and then dreaming of my baby being older and able to walk with me and his dad the whole way :)

So me and my boyfriend met along the way...starting walking together and slowly slowly decided that we want to keep walking together and after Santiago ...in life.....and then the baby came....our meeting was also based in many coincidences, and it was like the way wanted us to meet....anyway I am sharing this information with you so I can ask you my questions.

We have talked many times how we would love to be on the way ....how we would love the idea to open a small albergue and give to pilgrims all the beauty that we received on the camino. I know that this sounds like a dream and I know that it's not easy,but my question is .....is it possible? Is it difficult? From where someone's starts a business plan to see if it's worthy to open an albergue and make a living from that? Where do we get the informations for what we need,papers, cost of investment ect?Where on the way it would be a good spot for an albergue?
I stayed in great albergues with great energies and people that gave you strength to continue this beautiful journey with a smile and that's what we would love to do...create a small paradise for all the pilgrims....the Camino for us is special and we would love to do something in our lives connected to the way....
It's an idea....a dream....I don't know if it's even possible.....but walking the Camino I learnt that everything is possible if you really want it.
Any advice,ideas,opinions are welcomed !!!!!
Take care all and Buen Camino to everyone walking or planning to walk!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anything is possible, but you may want to serve as a hospitalera to see what it is like. Remember that your day is 0600 to 2200 seven days a week! That becomes very tiring after a while. :)
I can only agree with you here, we managed a Lodge on the edge of a National Park and the hours are demanding. Serving as a hospitalera would be a good testing of the waters. Good luck Angeliki.

Hallo everyone!!!!just wanted to share some thoughts and get some advices from whoever knows something!
I have walked two years ago the camino Frances and last year the north way and the primitivo way.
For me the way is something that I can't describe with words...I feel strongly connected with the way as many of you here.....I am pregnant and can't wait to give birth so I could walk with my baby to Santiago....and then dreaming of my baby being older and able to walk with me and his dad the whole way :)

So me and my boyfriend met along the way...starting walking together and slowly slowly decided that we want to keep walking together and after Santiago ...in life.....and then the baby came....our meeting was also based in many coincidences, and it was like the way wanted us to meet....anyway I am sharing this information with you so I can ask you my questions.

We have talked many times how we would love to be on the way ....how we would love the idea to open a small albergue and give to pilgrims all the beauty that we received on the camino. I know that this sounds like a dream and I know that it's not easy,but my question is .....is it possible? Is it difficult? From where someone's starts a business plan to see if it's worthy to open an albergue and make a living from that? Where do we get the informations for what we need,papers, cost of investment ect?Where on the way it would be a good spot for an albergue?
I stayed in great albergues with great energies and people that gave you strength to continue this beautiful journey with a smile and that's what we would love to do...create a small paradise for all the pilgrims....the Camino for us is special and we would love to do something in our lives connected to the way....
It's an idea....a dream....I don't know if it's even possible.....but walking the Camino I learnt that everything is possible if you really want it.

Angeliki,
your post made me shed some tears. Not for the albergue issue but the story about you and your partner and your child. So nice...
I must agree with above posters about albergue althought you may tryout your idea nevertheless. But do check at least a few threads on this forum about similar idea. You're not the first one to be thinking of that. And in those threads you'll be able to find good advices from our forum member @Rebekah Scott .

I wish you all ALL the best ;)

Thank you all so much for your responds. I know that it's not easy and that's why I am asking and also that why I am afraid of doing it.
Now it's just an idea,nothing more but we will see...as I said while I walked the way provides....so ....we will manage to see if that's meant to be for us :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
HI angeliki. Your story looks great, its very inspirating, but I coul´d like suggest any reflections.
There I go : Have you ever think about living in a small town during wintertime? Could it be a good place for you and your children? How would you live at low season? Have you ever work like a Hospitalero? I know some people who loving the Camino, decided to organize theirs lifes around it. Nowadays they are tired, disappointed, and cynical. No all, but most of them.
What we see during our pilgrimage is usually the bautifull part of it, it´s like smell a rose. But roses have thorns, roses need manure to live and manure usually smell... like manure!
Hospitaleros life is NOT a roses walk. Its very demanding and sometimes frustating.
You love so much your life like a pilgrim, but life like hospitalero is a different life. Is not the same having ten days of vacation at a cruiser than been a member of the crew al the year long.
Be carefull because you could lost this part of your life you love so much.
This said, I encorauge you to think seriously about this, talking with albergues owners, considerating costs and profits, studying alternatives, places, financial... And if still interested, GO AHEAD! Live your dream, dont let anybody, or anything to turn it into a nighmare.
Buen Camino!

There is certainly a need for albergues on some of the less walked Caminos, but you will need another source of income.

Good luck in pursuing your dream!

I hope everything works well for you and your family, no matter what the result is! I hope for you to find the right way, just keep on looking for the yellow arrows in real life too. They will lead the way, to a new albergue in Spain, or to somewhere else.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Oh well, if you do make up your mind and go for it, I'll come and work for you :)

Angeliki your story is lovely. I agree with Falcon, Annie and others who suggest you work as a Hospitalero for as long as is possible first. Having been in the Hospitality industry for many years (past) the biggest reason for turnover is burnout. I also experienced it on the Camino - not often, but it was there. The signs are easy to see. However I was walking towards the end of the season so was totally understanding of it. Extremely long hours, hard work and dealing with sometimes not your ideal pilgrim, soon takes its toll. But I also agree anything is possible, especially when it comes to realizing a dream. I do wish the best for you, your partner and your 'poli aurea' baby. (my grown children are half Greek).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have enjoyed staying in several family run albergues, first comes to mind En El Camino in Boadilla - that is one b-i-g family from grand-parents to children making it work, wonderfully. I have stayed in several others in France, one in Moissac a wonderful family run (they are oh so Irish!) and another along the Vezelay Camino which I can't remember now-also very welcoming. The French albergue owners worked alone and were always torn beteween helping the pilgrims and the real needs often demands of their own children which far too often took a back seat - not the healthiest of environments. So consider well,

http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...llages-are-up-for-sale-and-theyre-going-cheap

Not at all in the spirit of the Camino, but I once stayed in a chambre d'hote in France that appealed. The owner had been a hotelier in the UK and on retirement he'd bought and renovated a property in France in a beautiful tourist village. He had three guest bedrooms which he said was the perfect size - after giving his guests a delicious (but simple) home cooked breakfast, all he had to do was scrupulously clean the three rooms and prepare them for the next guests. With only three bedrooms there was no need to employ staff, he was finished by 11am and he then had the day to himself until the early evening. He did not do meals at night as there were plenty of restaurants around. Because the place was quite luxurious and in the right location, he could demand a good price which made it all worthwhile.

An albergue in contrast sounds like hard work!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all so much for your opinions.......This is not something that I am planing to do from one day to another without considering everything....it's just an idea in my head,,,,I have a happily life here in Greece and I am not trying to run away from something.....I just feel connected to the way and sometimes try to think how I could stay connected even when not walking...
I know that it's not easy and it's different working on the way and walking it.....I understand and know everything that everyone mentioned.....that's why I say it's just a dream.....sometimes it's nice to dream...,it doesn't cost a thing and it always makes us smile!!!!!
But thank you all for you replies :)

Angeliki, What a lovely story....When there is a will there is always a way...

If I have the money, I would buy a property along the norte, a place i would love to live myself, and convert it into a private alberque. Since i won't be dependent on the income to pay for the mortgage, this would be an easier way to establish myself small and then grow. You probably have to factor in reduced traffic in winter months. It is not very difficult to run the place by the two of you as you would be living there as well. Some of the best places i stayed in are run by such people, either retirees or people who own a home and wanted a supplemental income.

If you have to borrow money then i am afraid you have do a business case to assess the income level you need to sustain a profitable operation.

Spain can be very difficult place for foreigners to open a business, i don't know if your EU passport would help. If i were you I would speak to people who owns alberques.

Either of you speak Spanish? This would be very useful.

If you don't dream nothing can happen....Good luck!

Anything is possible, but you may want to serve as a hospitalera to see what it is like. Remember that your day is 0600 to 2200 seven days a week! That becomes very tiring after a while. :)
And, like Groundhog Day, everyday is pretty much the same - only the faces and packs change!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Why don't you contact Ocacio y Orietta as well , they met on the Camino , got married and opened up an Albergue - a very nice one as well. They only have place for 10 pilgrims ........ I think the regulations are a lot stricter for any numbers over 10.
I'm sure that they find it very difficult to keep going financialy ..... however , they do seem a very happy couple and enjoy what they are doing.

Angeliki,
We stayed in a great private Albergue called Pablo y Belen at Villares de Orbigo that in 2014 had recently been purchased and was being run by a lovely Belgium woman (Catherine) who I'm sure can give you all the details - she was inspired to change her life after walking the Camino.
Also in Bercianos del Real Camino north of Sahagun we followed signs on the road to a private house "Albergue Santa Clara", in the rain. We were very tired, signed in and entered a courtyard with a dog barking in the corner and chickens. We were taken to a small renovated building next to the main house, with a kitchen/diningroom with everything necessary, nice bathroom and two clean rooms with bunks where we sorted ourselves out.
The lady owner took and washed and dried our clothes, came back with tea and cake for us. In the morning we went into her house nearby and had a wonderful breakfast - the best anywhere on the Camino and she showed us pictures of the 7 times she had walked the camino in all different weathers - one of those Camino jewels! She would have a story for you if you could track her down. It was "Donativo" and we happily gave more that 10 Eureos each!
Lastly, in Australia we live in the beautiful Blue Mountains that encourages bush walkers and in parts is like the Camino and good for training walks.
We have great friends here (now) who cycled a camino in 2013 and although an accountant and an engineer, found it to be life changing for them so they have had a career change.
They bought a Guest House and have remodelled it downstairs as a Bunkhouse or Albergue.
Each month now we have a "Peregrino Dinner" with speakers that is growing so popular we keep getting oversubscribed and have to squeeze people in!
This has combined their camino passion into their business and lifestyle, is tapping in to a well of interest and enthusiasm - but is very hard work! If you want I can put you in touch with them.
Plan carefully and beware of hidden costs - but it sounds like you are.

As former posters suggested try to found out something more from the people (ex-pats) that have done at least something similar to your idea. I can also remember the couple from Las Herrerias, a Spanish girl and an English guy if I remember correctly from 2011. Contact addresses and numbers are on Gronze, Mundicamino, Eroski etc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Angeliki,
We stayed in a great private Albergue called Pablo y Belen at Villares de Orbigo that in 2014 had recently been purchased and was being run by a lovely Belgium woman (Catherine) who I'm sure can give you all the details - she was inspired to change her life after walking the Camino.
Also in Bercianos del Real Camino north of Sahagun we followed signs on the road to a private house "Albergue Santa Clara", in the rain. We were very tired, signed in and entered a courtyard with a dog barking in the corner and chickens. We were taken to a small renovated building next to the main house, with a kitchen/diningroom with everything necessary, nice bathroom and two clean rooms with bunks where we sorted ourselves out.
The lady owner took and washed and dried our clothes, came back with tea and cake for us. In the morning we went into her house nearby and had a wonderful breakfast - the best anywhere on the Camino and she showed us pictures of the 7 times she had walked the camino in all different weathers - one of those Camino jewels! She would have a story for you if you could track her down. It was "Donativo" and we happily gave more that 10 Eureos each!
Lastly, in Australia we live in the beautiful Blue Mountains that encourages bush walkers and in parts is like the Camino and good for training walks.
We have great friends here (now) who cycled a camino in 2013 and although an accountant and an engineer, found it to be life changing for them so they have had a career change.
They bought a Guest House and have remodelled it downstairs as a Bunkhouse or Albergue.
Each month now we have a "Peregrino Dinner" with speakers that is growing so popular we keep getting oversubscribed and have to squeeze people in!
This has combined their camino passion into their business and lifestyle, is tapping in to a well of interest and enthusiasm - but is very hard work! If you want I can put you in touch with them.
Plan carefully and beware of hidden costs - but it sounds like you are.
Rosa is a very inspirating and brave woman.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back