A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

Time for a retread thread of something to make us smile

Camino(s) past & future
April (2015) SJPdP to SdC; Porto to SdC April (2016)
Counting myself among some members who have been a bit grumpy recently, I wondered if anyone can find the wonderful spoof post by a South African pilgrim from several years back about being back home and missing the Camino. I know that many of us have seen it before but it always makes me laugh out loud and there are always lots of newcomers to the forum who won't have know it, so please pilgrims can you post the link if it is still available - assuming you know what I am talking about.

Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
Counting myself among some members who have been a bit grumpy recently, I wondered if anyone can find the wonderful spoof post by a South African pilgrim from several years back about being back home and missing the Camino. I know that many of us have seen it before but it always makes me laugh out loud and there are always lots of newcomers to the forum who won't have know it, so please pilgrims can you post the link if it is still available - assuming you know what I am talking about.
Probably the wittiest post ever made here, and always worth repeating:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...you-on-the-camino-without-leaving-home.11398/

Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese' ' Frances' ' Norte' 'Salvador_prim' ‘le puy’ ‘Inglés’ ‘CDM’ ‘Invierno’ ‘Fin_Mux’
What a scream!
I recall waiting outside for opening on earlier caminos but I think many of us have gone past that now. Great memories though. I don’t get the knocking on doors asking them about baking bread ?
The good old days for sure.
Annie

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: St Jean Pied-de-Port to Santiago, on to Fisterra, Muxia and back to Santiago. (April-June 2016)
Brilliant! I might add, place 6 lengths of 1” doweling like ladder rungs on the floor and, in the dark, walk, backwards, barefoot along them, mid foot to dowel, as if you were trying to descend, on tender feet, from a top bunk in the middle of the night. Don’t scream or swear. Thanks for the morning smile!!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
Hi Seb
The sweat is pouring out of me .......and it's not just from the 32/90 degree heat here in London!

It took me a full 10 minutes to read it as I was in stitches after each sentence!!
Even nearly had to"go" in the garden as I laughed so much!!

My husband came into the room to ask why I was laughing so heartily!

The talking to strangers tickled me too

Recently ,on a walk, in Cumbria, i spotted a guy with a camino badge on his rucksack,...just had to make a beeline for him...had a great conversation about the Camino of course

Anyway...must rush....
To read it again
Thank you for this
Annette

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Yes, "Strike up a conversation with strangers and act like you've known them your whole life"...I was bike riding on a paved trail with friends along the Mississippi river shortly after returning from my first camino in 2015. Ahead of me I saw a woman walking. She was wearing a backpack and using hiking poles. I passed her by as I got a warm and fuzzy feeling; a reminder of my recent trek as she looked just like all the peregrinas in front of me on the camino. I couldn't resist...I stopped my bike, turned around and asked if she was training for something. Much to my surprise she replied, "Yes, I leave in two weeks to walk the Camino in Spain". We exchanged emails, kept in touch and living only two hours apart, we got together a few times. And the best part...we just returned from walking the Le Puy route in France together!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
I was bike riding on a paved trail with friends along the Mississippi river shortly after returning from my first camino in 2015. Ahead of me I saw a woman walking. She was wearing a backpack and using hiking poles. I passed her by as I got a warm and fuzzy feeling; a reminder of my recent trek as she looked just like all the peregrinas in front of me on the camino. I couldn't resist...I stopped my bike, turned around and asked if she was training for something. Much to my surprise she replied, "Yes, I leave in two weeks to walk the Camino in Spain". We exchanged emails, kept in touch and living only two hours apart, we got together a few times. And the best part...we just returned from walking the Le Puy route in France together!
Wish there was a really like button...

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hilarious post. I read it for the first time, thanks @SEB & @alansykes to bring it out again.

But it's really a mirror image of us, what "crazy" things we do while caminoing. I can completely understand other folks suspicious glances when we enthusiasticly and with wide grin talk about our Camino(s) :D

Last edited:

E V Waight

It's the journey, not the destination.
Camino(s) past & future
September (2017)
Possible September (2018)
Holy Year (2021) (all three Gladys, John and I)
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
Just because of reading this excellent LOL page I have booked us aeroplane tickets to go walk again.
Wonderful
Good for you

Can I use that excuse!?
Just don't forget to pack the dogs blanket!
Best wishes
Annette

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Thank you for this wonderful previous post!

“Go to a new restuarant and order you meal while holding the menu upside down and reading in the reflection of a mirror, in poor lightin”.....set me into a laughing frenzy!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 180 24.5%