• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips and recommendations for an elder pilgrim (90y)

anyab

Time of past OR future Camino
Easter holidays 2024
Hi folks! :)

My father, 90 years old, wants to make the Camino next Easter (his first time), and I'm really happy and excited about it. The idea is to make 100 km. So, I really wanted to hear from you about routes, tips, and recommendations.

Quick info about him:
He has a very good health (only major issue is a strong allergy to pollen), and he is active (he does pilates twice a week and walks a bit every day). My main concerns about it are:

- the distance between traditional stages;
- irregular paths (he feels very insecure when walking on these, even though he hikes great on fairly regular earth trails);
- and possible swollen feet after walking too much (he has high blood pressure controlled by medication).

The idea is for him to use poles and to carry no backpack, and also to have a car as backup if he gets very tired and needs a lift.

I've read that the most adequate route would be the Camino Portugués, from Tui, as it is the most regular path. Would you agree with that?
Considering we have about 8 days (that could probably be extended), what is the better distribution of stages that you recommend?
Any other practical, medical or general tip or suggestion?

Thank you very much!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Some thoughts for the two (?) of you, but I confess I have not walked the Portuguese, so will defer to those who have.

- if the walk is during Holy Week/Easter (which next year is the last full week of March, ending with Easter on the 31st), *all* the local Caminos into Santiago will be more crowded. Be aware that desired accommodations may not be open yet, or will be completo (full).

- if he's not carrying a backpack, who is? Or is the plan to luggage ship? If the latter, you will have to identify the desired destination (and, preferably, have a reservation there) the night before, and identify the company that will ship.

- on the Frances, there are lots of options for staying "off-stage" - but, again, the options will be more limited if shipping luggage. Can't answer for the Portuguese.

If the desire is also to have a car available as backup (from where? who's driving?) , my humble suggestion is that you should book through a full-service Camino-expert company that can have that on standby for you, unless you are comfortable booking hotels and local taxis (and you'll need the number) in Spanish/Portuguese, either through WhatsApp or through a phone call. Particularly if this is his first.

Take a look at Gronze for Spanish Caminos, and pay attention to opening times for accomodations. Sarria to Santiago, the Ingles, and the Primitivo from Lugo more or less fit your distance, although there are fewer off stage options on the Primitivo until it hits Melide.

Whatever you choose, Buen Camino/Bom Caminho.

Edit: And this guy *just* posted... look up

Short stage Camino from Sarria​

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My father, 90 years old, wants to make the Camino next Easter (his first time), and I'm really happy and excited about it.

He has a very good health (only major issue is a strong allergy to pollen), and he is active (he does pilates twice a week and walks a bit every day).
I wonder about this combination. Easter is early (late March) next year so hopefully it will be early enough to avoid spring allergies?

Sorta depends on which pollen he's allergic to...some bloom later. IMHO, OP might want to check with his dad about the specifics of the allergy, and bring whatever rescue meds are needed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The idea is for him to use poles and to carry no backpack, and also to have a car as backup if he gets very tired and needs a lift.
Do you mean using taxis as a backup, or that you or someone else will do the same trip by car and be available to pick him up if he needs it? Taxis should be enough but I understand that you want to give him all the support he may need.

You indicate that he is in a fit condition.
I suggest the most important consideration is for him to start training by walking on a regular basis…as soon as possible in order to get in condition to walk daily on the Camino.
i would aim for a goal of a minimum of 5 miles a day or every other day.

Consider upping your time budget to 10+ days to allow for unforeseen events😎

The chronological age is really not the main factor….physical condition will determine the quality of the adventure.

if you do a bit of searching on this forum you will find many threads about members who are still walking well into their 80’s and some at 90

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Questions to be thinking about:

• How important is it to your father to earn the Compostela?
  • What is the budget? Can you afford to stay in private hotels vs public albergues?
  • What is the maximum amount of time that you can give to this?
If earning the Compostela is important, then there are options like walking as far as he can, each day, taking a taxi from there back to his lodging, then returning to the same point the next day to keep walking. He just needs to continue to get two stamps per day.

Booking private lodgings would make that easier because they don’t have all the same restrictions. And of course this would take time, because the slower he goes the more likely he is to finish.

There are a couple of places where that I remember where that might be tough. But I think it would be OK to make sure that his passport got stamped at the place he started, and the place he stopped each day. There are people here who may have some inside information on that from the pilgrims office.

If it’s more about the experience of being a pilgrim, then he can just walk as far as he can every day, and then take a taxi the rest of the way.

Finally anything he can do now to build up his strength and stamina, especially his balance and joint strength, will make it much easier and more comfortable. This is where, paying for a session or two with a good physical trainer, might help by giving some exercises specifically targeted to the vulnerable spots. I’m

Not as old (75) but, perhaps, not as fit! Camino from Sarria to SdeC. Limited distance to around 15Km per day. Booked accommodation 1 & 2star (excellent) for each stage - stayed 2 nights in Portomarin. On day after arrival used Taxi (plentiful and not expensive) to return and then arranged to pick up and return to same point following day - enabled us to 'overwalk' the plan and then to visit a local church of interest some way off route. Used pre-booked Correos for a large pack - they were excellent - and walked with day bag. Left later than most and so didn't see many of those on the way as they were either ahead or behind and catching up. Used poles - first climb out of Sarria challenged but then there is a cafe soon afterwards! Paths wide and mostly good. Use the road to descend in to Portomarin rather than the path. Have fun planning or use a company (can still opt for Correos if you want!). Buen Camino!

Father is now my role model!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just a few thoughts…….My suggestion is to get good light weight walking boots fitted asap to help with his stability - also wear 2 pairs of liner socks to prevent blisters. Start walking daily as suggested in the new boots. Walking poles can also give stability & confidence. Profile maps are available for all Caminos, perhaps select the more level sections, and drive/tour the tougher sections? 💪

He has a very good health (only major issue is a strong allergy to pollen), and he is active (he does pilates twice a week and walks a bit every day).
I would recommend wearing an N95 mask if pollen becomes an issue. It was my saviour on the CP last year (2022) when my rhinitis was being triggered by one of the weeds at the edges of towns. I ended up using several because they would quickly get soaked if I was breathing heavily, but that was a small price to pay for the increased comfort of not triggering my hay fever.

My father, 90 years old, wants to make the Camino next Easter (his first time), and I'm really happy and excited about it. The idea is to make 100 km. So, I really wanted to hear from you about routes, tips, and recommendations.

Quick info about him:
He has a very good health (only major issue is a strong allergy to pollen), and he is active (he does pilates twice a week and walks a bit every day). My main concerns about it are:

- irregular paths (he feels very insecure when walking on these, even though he hikes great on fairly regular earth trails);
- and possible swollen feet after walking too much (he has high blood pressure controlled by medication).

I've read that the most adequate route would be the Camino Portugués, from Tui, as it is the most regular path. Would you agree with that?
Considering we have about 8 days (that could probably be extended), what is the better distribution of stages that you recommend?

Thank you very much!!!

Quick info about him:

Thank you very much!!!
As for pollen in the Spring on Frances Camino. There is a section before Astorga, that has a row of Cottonwood trees alongside the trail. The blooms cover the trail like a blanket of snow & with all the hiking boots trampling through, they get pulverized & stirred up into dust. I didn’t know any better & walked through with no nose & mouth covering. It caused me to clog up & wheeze, so by the time I reached Astorga I was at the pharmacia looking for help. The pharmacist sent me to a health food store to buy lemon, eucalyptus & wintergreen essential oils to steam in a sink of hot water with a towel over my head to breathe in the steam. It helped tremendously. For at least 5 days afterward, my nose kept running & I used up a lot of toilet paper going down the trail. I don’t know if Cottonwood trees bloom every year around the same time or not. I am not one who is allergic to pollens in my area, so this threw my body into a shocking response.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First of all what an amazing experience you have ahead of you.
You don't have to stop at the end stages. There are lots of places to stay between stages I did this for most of the CF from Roncesvalles. I had no problems with luggage transfer and stopped in private albergues. If you are taking a car is someone driving it for you? They would then be able to take your backpacks and stay with you.
Morgade is just before the 100k mark and would be a good starting point with a short 1st day to Portmarin. 16k a day would take 7 days. Gronze dot com is your friend it not only has distances between stops but also shows the elevation. You can book this yourself you don't need a company.
There is a lot of road walking on this section but also a lot of paths. I don't remember anything to difficult and if he is taking poles these will be a great help. Look at youtube videos to see how to use them correctly.
Most people have swollen feet on the camino. Buy shoes/boots one size to big and make sure to sit with legs raised as often as possible.
I would not usually book more than a day in advance but as you are walking at the busiest time of the year it would probably be best to.
Enjoy your planning your camino has begun.

IMHO the CF or the Spanish part of the CP (Portugal is peppered with difficult cobble stones) will be the best for us old folks. Take it easy, don't stress, and you will have a time of your life.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tuy to Santiago or Camino Ingles would be my top 2 routes to aim for. Tuy might be a slightly easier route. The ingles has a few wicked slopes/hills... out of Puentedeume and Betanzos.

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and contributions. I'm glad about the answers. They are really helpful. :)
I'd like to comment and answer each one individually, but I don't want no monopolize this chat.

Answering some comments:

- We're opting for hotels to stay, it will be more comfortable and quiet for him, and without the rush to get out quickly (he has a particular veeery calm and slow morning routine before going out 😅)

- He'll bring his antihistamines and always use a facial mask with filter when there is pollen in the air.

- We're probably going to drive ourselves to the starting point, and then each day someone of the family drives to the destination point with our backpacks. The driver then parks and comes back walking to meet the rest of the group along the trail and go on all together.

- As we're going to be very light without our packs, on the trail we'll carry for him plenty of water, a foldable comfortable chair, extra socks, rain gear, first aid kit, and everything he could need. But I'm pretty sure it would have to be negotiated, because he'll probably want to carry his stuff, and we'll need to convince him otherwise. 😂

- He is Brazilian, so Portuguese (and Spanish) will not be a problem for us. 🇧🇷

- He'll be the one dictating the rhythm, and pauses. Even though we'll be aware to force pauses if we see that he just want to go on and on, because I'm pretty sure he'll signal for pauses less than he'd need, to avoid being a “burden”. hehe
@BarbaraW suggestion of 50m/10m pause seems great. Maybe we can use it as a standard basis.

- We'll try to maintain something between 10-15km a day, but again, everything will depend on him. Even though he walks every day, he's already training walking more than usual. I'll ask mom to try little by little to push him further. 🙂

- We won't have so many days to spare, because of the flight back to Brazil. But we'll certainly plan for more days than we think we'd need.

- I was thinking about the Camino Portugués, but watching @Quahaug videos... omg they're amazing! 😍😍😍 I'll definitely share them with my dad – even though he won't understand the English spoken. 🫤 It's such as inspiration!! Thank you for recording and uploading the videos 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽, and also for you guys who posted the link.

If you like to, I'll keep you posted about our adventures!!! ❤️

Thank you very very very much!

I haven't walked the Portuguese so can't help there. But one thing no-one's mentioned is protecting his health enroute. Make sure he's rested up before the flight, and if you can, take a few days to rest up after you arrive and before you walk. And mask up on the plane and in the airport. I'm much younger than your Dad, and caught something awful on my last flight - it would have totally ruined a camino. I know exactly where I caught it, too (at the gate waiting to board), and wish I'd worn a mask. And the older you are, the easier it is to catch stuff...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I haven't walked the Portuguese so can't help there. But one thing no-one's mentioned is protecting his health enroute. Make sure he's rested up before the flight, and if you can, take a few days to rest up after you arrive and before you walk. And mask up on the plane and in the airport. I'm much younger than your Dad, and caught something awful on my last flight - it would have totally ruined a camino. I know exactly where I caught it, too (at the gate waiting to board), and wish I'd worn a mask. And the older you are, the easier it is to catch stuff...

Sound advice @VNwalking !

On my Camino this year I got sick travelling both ways.
Sydney-Dubai-Madrid

I think the flights were OK as the the aircraft have good air circulation.
It was the airline lounge!
Packed to the gills with people coughing and sneezing over the food.
On the way back, I made sure to eat only packaged food, but I still got ill.

After arrival in Seville I had a telehealth (phone consult) with a local doctor and got a course of anti biotics. I was not that well for about the first two weeks of the VdlP.

And on arriving back home I was wiped out for a week with a virus.

Next trip I'll avoid the airline lounge and hang out in the main airport area!

Less people, more space, more air flow!

Quick info about him:

Thank you very much!!!
As one who has just finished the whole Camino Frances, and had my 80th birthday half way across, I would like to say:
The CF from Roncesvalles is good.
I would not encourage St Jean PdeP to Roncesvalles.
The portion much later that has the Crux de Ferro (Cross of Iron), which is the highest altitude point, is rather brutal. Just don't.
Poles are critically essential!
The €6 per day transport for packs is excellent, but if you have a following car, you won't need it.
I met three others just over 80, and a little Japanese lady aged 82, on the Camino. All were going well.
booking.cxx is an excellent site, which helped me greatly, but know that many albergues are not listed on it.
September 10th onwards overcomes the excessive heat problem, plus the numbers are thinning, which greatly helps the accommodation situation.
Buen Camino! I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Oh, an additional note:

My husband and I walked Sarria to Santiago in 2021, with daypacks.

He bonked (ran out of energy) on day 1, and got a calf cramp on day 2.

After that, every mile we walked, I'd wave him to me or I'd go to him. He'd drink some electrolytes solution from my pack, and then some water from his. Every mile. No more bonking or cramps.

I mention this because it is distressingly common for older people to not have a sensation of thirst, and get quite badly dehydrated as a result.

Don't wait until he's thirsty to have him drink, and bring electrolytes as well as water.

Ironically, Estrella Galicia works pretty well...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am a big fan of the Portuguese Camino, and personally I thought Tui to Santiago was much easier than Sarria to Santiago.
Also, plenty of places to stop 'off-stage' with lovely private accommodation.
The plan you described sounds very good, I'd stick to it. I speak Brazilian Portuguese too, and it was very easy to understand Gallego spoke in Galicia. Enjoy!

Oh, an additional note:

My husband and I walked Sarria to Santiago in 2021, with daypacks.

He bonked (ran out of energy) on day 1, and got a calf cramp on day 2.

After that, every mile we walked, I'd wave him to me or I'd go to him. He'd drink some electrolytes solution from my pack, and then some water from his. Every mile. No more bonking or cramps.

I mention this because it is distressingly common for older people to not have a sensation of thirst, and get quite badly dehydrated as a result.

Don't wait until he's thirsty to have him drink, and bring electrolytes as well as water.

Ironically, Estrella Galicia works pretty well...

In the U.K. the term ‘bonking’ is quite the opposite of ‘running out of energy’ :cool:

:::chuckle::: I suspected something like that might occur, which is why I defined it.

For reference:

There are other sources, but for an endurance athlete (or a person who exercises for a long time, say, over 90 minutes), bonking in this case refers to running out of fuel for your muscles. It'll stop the person, I can assure you (having seen it more than once).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Quick info about him:

Thank you very much!!!
Call or contact Nellie Meunier. Ultrya Tours out of Santiago, +34 611 368 6859, US 646-934-6859. If his Dr ok the trip she can customize it with accommodations luggage transfers and always a phone number for emergency back. Up and just general help. When you talk about swelling ankles in concerns me of possible congestive heart failure. So please get a green light from his primary and heart specialist

Regarding the car: officially, the last hundred kilometers must be actually walked to qualify for the Compostela certificate. If you care about that (and don't want to risk enforcement), then that might be a consideration.

Quick info about him:

Thank you very much!!!
I am hiking with an 85 year old. We started at Vigo because it is exactly 100 km. Galiwonders broke it into 8 days for us. On two days were what I thought were pretty long.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are many on this forum in their mid 80's (including me) who simply walk normal camino routes like everyone else. We walk faster and further than some and slower and shorter distances than others.
Just like normal people. :oops:

The concern should be about physical condition and not about age. There are many here in their 50's or 60's that will have a very difficult time making it from Sarria or Tui.

Last edited:
I really wanted to hear from you about routes, tips, and recommendations.
In Spain I have only walked from Roncesvalles to Compostela.

The 100+ km from Sarria would be an obvious choice, except for one aspect: the two steepish hills to be negotiated - one shortly after Sarria and the other after Portomarin - each has a rise of about 150 metres from bottom to crest.

As hills cant be totally avoided, I have two suggestions.

A) ~100 km from Hontanas to el Burgo Ranero
I acknowledge the 100 m rise over 1 km (10%) pull up just after Castrojeriz and the equally steep (but shorter) drop over the other side. Both up and down have long ranging views over the surrounding countryside. Other than that this section is relatively flat.

B) ~100 km from Logrono to Ages.
There is also a short sharp pull up immediately after Villafrana Montes de Oca (of about 50 metres) and then a continuous drop through a (?) production forest to San Juan de Ortega and on to Ages.
The route starts at about 400 metres above sea level (m asl) with a continuously gentle rise to Villafranca at about 1100 m asl over 80 km (about 1% - in other words, relatively flat).

I understand there will car and family support. So stopping points can be made on the day and getting to and from accommodation is easily managed.

A suggestion is to book one accommodation base about 30 km after the preferred start and return to it for the first, say, 4 or so days. And to then book a second accommodation base about 30 km from the expected end point and return to that for final days of the journey. That way there is only one transfer of all equipment along the selected route. While each day it is only the needs for that day which are carried to and fro.

A quick glance at a route in Portugal from Tui to Compostela (just over 100 km) suggests relative flatness until towards the end, a pull up over the last 15 km of about 200 metres.

I focus on pulling up hills as they tend to be a make or break for some. In addition to fitness the easiest way to walk up a slop is to take really short steps for steeper sections. In my case I would have, say, the left foot advance between 80 mm and 100 mm (3 to 4 inches) in front of the right (but maintain the same rate of walk as on the flat). And breathe in on one foot fall and out on the other. This technique means not lifting a foot very high and so conserving energy as much as possible.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui koutou katoa.
(May you all take care, be strong, confident and patient.)

minor edits to (hopefully) enhance understanding

Quick info about him:

Thank you very much!!!
That seems a sensible route. Plenty of access to taxis when I did it. One of my companions needed to get a taxi on 2 occasions and did so without issue.
There is one area where there is a steep up and down incline but perhaps he could miss it and get transport for that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back