• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toenail polish question

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
I am a nurse working in the healthcare setting so I do not normally wear sandals. The ones I do usually wear have toe caps (Keens), however, normally when I see other women wearing sandals they have painted toenails. The few times I have worn open toed shoes I feel like others might be judging me for my lack of decoration. I have bought a pair of ultra-light Birkinstocks (5 oz total weight) for the Camino (see photo below from internet source). The style is called Madrid and my toes will certainly be showing. Will I be a pariah for not wearing polish?
32272528_001_0

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
?..Will I be a pariah for not wearing polish?

I honestly don't think folks will notice... After a few days walking many feet are covered in tap and band aids or creams or compeed... Some folks even lose the odd nail :eek:

I did buy some polish in Burgos... But that was just a little treat in the city... It looked less pretty once we were back on the road.

I say do what makes you happy... And have a great time :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wearing sandals when walking you will be a pariah anyway. You could paint your toenails black - in imitation of all those wearing too tight boots....

But I'm with @Tincatinker - although what really matters is to match your outfit.

On a serious note - it is a really glorious feeling to stop for a few extra hours somewhere along the route to get a massage, a haircut, a nail treatment, or something similar. Plus it adds a few valuable euros to the local economy.

Oh, and jeans take forever to dry. I'd rethink those.

Are you kidding me? Who on earth spends time and/or money on toe nails!? As for your Birkies, EVA ones will be better suited to the Camino as you can also shower with them on or walk in the rain.

Are you kidding me? Who on earth spends time and/or money on toe nails!? As for your Birkies, EVA ones will be better suited to the Camino as you can also shower with them on or walk in the rain.

Oh, Anemone, I'm so glad you mentioned these EVA Birkenstocks. I remember I first heard about them from you right before I was leaving to walk last year and didn't have time to try them. Can you give a comparison of how your feet feel in the plastic ones as opposed to the real Birkenstocks? Would you feel comfortable walking around town for a couple of hours in them? Maybe I should just splurge and spend the $30 and answer the questions myself! Buen camino, Laurie

And p.s., the OP must have bought the EVA model you describe because they are the ones that weigh 5 oz a pair. There's no way traditional cork, rubber, and leather Birkenstock sandals could weigh that little.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The ones in the OP's picture are the traditionals. The EVAs are one colour through out. If I have walked in Dr Schol shappes Crocs and did just fir'ne walking with the EVA Birkies is just fine! When I step in mu regular Birkies I do feel bit of a stretch of the base of my feet, not as intense with the EVAs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,
Thanks for your comments. My new sandals are indeed EVA. That was just a convenient internet photo that I posted modeling the style with the one strap. These come in other colors and I ordered mine through Travelsmith for about 39 US$. My own toes are really not as pretty as the model but I don't think they are terrible and I plan to wear sandals in the evening after walking for the day is finished and for showers, etc. I have regular sensible shoes for the actual walking. I just wanted to be sure that I was not breaking some kind of fashion rule like wearing socks with the sandals (which I will probably do if people don't think my toes are acceptable.):) I read a Camino thread from 2014 where it indicated some folks spend time tending blisters first and painting their nails second each evening. I can't see that being me...Oh, and no jeans! That was just the model from the internet's jeans...

We will begin our first Camino on May 21 leaving from Boise and then on to Seattle, Paris, St. Jean. Hope to see some of you this summer. We are taking our time allowing 50 days. Hubby and I are a bit older and don't want to feel rushed!

Regular "fashion" and "style" seems to be rare on the Camino. It's not at all like it is at home, wherever that might be. Most people leave "regular clothes" at home. You are packing light and will be wearing the same few things day after day.

"Normal" hairstyling and makeup are the first things to go. There may have been nail polish under the bandaids, tape, and layers of socks but it's hard to say. People are tired and often wet or dusty or dirty or sweaty and it's all just fine. You will even see (gasp!) socks with sandals, crazy mismatched clothing, and ridiculous hats. (It might have been me ;) ) It's the simple things on the Camino and there are no fashion fails. If your socks are clean and dry, it's a win win.

Pilgrim style rocks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My work demands that I'm wearing make up, polish and heels almost every day.
It was one of the most freeing sensations to spend so many days with only sunscreen! I cut may nails and toenails really short before going to Spain, and when I got back, they were kinda the perfect size to go back to "office mode".

No fancy clothes either: my cold weather outfit was t-shirt over t-shirt covered with jacket, sometimes with my towel wrapped around my chest/neck.

But really - in the camino, you have to be comfortable. It's your Camino. If people judge your toenails, well, their camino is definetly different then yours... :D

At the end of a long day on the Camino...you just don't want to touch your feet unless you have to...so skip the toe nail polish...after a couple days your basic routine will be...wake...eat...walk...eat...walk...check-in...shower and wash clothes...eat...maybe drink?...sleep...start over.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This years colour is Blue. Red is very last year and will imply that you are lost.

Well, Turquoise Blue was my Camino Colour of choice last year!

I wore boots most of the time so they were only on view in the evenings, and I don't think anyone noticed anyway. But I appreciated my feet and what they were doing for me, and it made ME feel good because I thought they looked prettier with the polished nails.

Seriously though, wearing nail polish can hide damage to your nails, like bruising under the nail.

And when I removed the polish, one of my smaller nails came away with it. I hadn't noticed it was coming loose, and it was a bit of a shock.

This year I think I will paint my toenails shocking pink!

Fun post :) I am one of those people that does bring luxury items. I have some make up with me and shampoo and conditioner and moisturizer and yes I had a nice pedicure and nails polished before I left for Spain :) . The polish stayed only on for about 1 week though . And....I had 4 pairs of shoes with me which was my biggest luxury and I had not one blister the entire Camino (hiking shoes, trail runners, hiking sandals and flip flops). Total weight of all my gear was 18 lbs.

I can't believe that this question even come up does anybody really cares what color the toes are painted? I had my blackened a few times from bad shoes and that wasn't pretty :)

zzotte

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can't believe that this question even come up does anybody really cares what color the toes are painted? I had my blackened a few times from bad shoes and that wasn't pretty :)

zzotte
THAT's why I brought 4 pairs of shoes :) No blisters, no black or lost nails. I agree......nail polish is obviously not important....but I just like it :)

hahaha yea those were the days of 50 lb packs and 4 lbs boots :) but four pairs of shoes? did you include a high heel with that? haha

zzotte

hahaha yea those were the days of 50 lb packs and 4 lbs boots :) but four pairs of shoes? did you include a high heel with that? haha

zzotte
yes 4 pairs and it worked wonders......Imagine not having any blisters or black toe nails at all !! :) .... 1 pair of Keen hiking shoes (not boots) 1 pair NB trail runners, 1 pair lighter hiking sandals (bass pro brand ...they were great and I wore them every day the last 5/10 km ....we lucked out with the weather) and flip flops. No high heels ha ha ...My total pack weight was 18 lbs so pretty acceptable.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mama mia 4 pair of shoes and 18 lbs? You are one tough lady :) here I'm whining to my wife that I need to drop another 3oz so I can stay under 8.5 LB hahaha :)ok I shut up now hahaha

Mama mia 4 pair of shoes and 18 lbs? You are one tough lady :) here I'm whining to my wife that I need to drop another 3oz so I can stay under 8.5 LB hahaha :)ok I shut up now hahaha
OMG 8.5 lbs ???? wow that is roughing it for real :) Good for you. I couldn't do that. Got ( read "want" ) to have my luxury items :)

I am a nurse working in the healthcare setting so I do not normally wear sandals. The ones I do usually wear have toe caps (Keens), however, normally when I see other women wearing sandals they have painted toenails. The few times I have worn open toed shoes I feel like others might be judging me for my lack of decoration. I have bought a pair of ultra-light Birkinstocks (5 oz total weight) for the Camino (see photo below from internet source). The style is called Madrid and my toes will certainly be showing. Will I be a pariah for not wearing polish?
32272528_001_0
this thread made me smile,as if you have the wish to paint or not paint your toe nails at the end of a days walk then go for it ,, i was lazy and think i may have shaved my legs a couple of times and felt quite glam at that :)i would be surprised if any body noticed either way to be honest,i was more interested in dropping off my pack and going for food and drinks with new pals or just to see who we might meet,,hairy legs or not :p

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Regular "fashion" and "style" seems to be rare on the Camino. It's not at all like it is at home, wherever that might be. Most people leave "regular clothes" at home. You are packing light and will be wearing the same few things day after day.

"Normal" hairstyling and makeup are the first things to go. There may have been nail polish under the bandaids, tape, and layers of socks but it's hard to say. People are tired and often wet or dusty or dirty or sweaty and it's all just fine. You will even see (gasp!) socks with sandals, crazy mismatched clothing, and ridiculous hats. (It might have been me ;) ) It's the simple things on the Camino and there are no fashion fails. If your socks are clean and dry, it's a win win.

Pilgrim style rocks!
So I should ditch the hair straighteners, eyelash curlers, heated rollers and stiletto shoes? What about my colour co-ordinated everything? If a bit of nail polish keeps a lass happy, go for it. I'm aiming for as light weight as possible whilst being realistic and, relatively, clean

Ok nobody was talking about color coordination until you brought it up hahaha

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wrote this earlier but it is still relevant re camino chic.

Here in France le look sport est trés chic ! Small fortunes are spent on monthly gym fees, hiking boots are often worn to stroll along the Champs-Élysées in autumn and winter, and multitudes wear designer backpacks. Attitude is all.

My first camino reinforced basic priorities the hard way. In Villadangos del Paramo glanced in a mirror one morning my face appeared tanned and slimmer; I briefly thought ‘not too bad, considering’. 10 km later after crossing the long medieval bridge at Hospital de Órbigo I lost my footing and fell head first onto the irregular pavement! My pack crashed into my right shoulder. Flat on the ground my forehead and shoulder hurt like hell! An egg quickly swelled on my forehead; by day’s end and for the next weeks I resembled Cyclopes.

Indeed in my case "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall", Proverbs 16:18

Now after all these years clean, matching hiking socks are the height of what I dare consider camino chic.

Margaret Meredith

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ok nobody was talking about color coordination until you brought it up hahaha
I'm claiming the colour 'dust' so everyone else will have to choose something else. Dust coloured boots, ankles, backpack, hair etc The colour, of course, will vary according to which part of the Camino I'll be walking. I am so not last year's model. The colour is available until mid September, after that, it's mine!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mat
I wrote this earlier but it is still relevant re camino chic.

Here in France le look sport est trés chic ! Small fortunes are spent on monthly gym fees, hiking boots are often worn to stroll along the Champs-Élysées in autumn and winter, and multitudes wear designer backpacks. Attitude is all.

My first camino reinforced basic priorities the hard way. In Villadangos del Paramo glanced in a mirror one morning my face appeared tanned and slimmer; I briefly thought ‘not too bad, considering’. 10 km later after crossing the long medieval bridge at Hospital de Órbigo I lost my footing and fell head first onto the irregular pavement! My pack crashed into my right shoulder. Flat on the ground my forehead and shoulder hurt like hell! An egg quickly swelled on my forehead; by day’s end and for the next weeks I resembled Cyclopes.

Indeed in my case "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall", Proverbs 16:18

Now after all these years clean, matching hiking socks are the height of what I dare consider camino chic.

Margaret Meredith
Matching socks???? I currently don't posses such items, got plenty of none identical twins-the colour is near enough but the features bear no resemblance

My toenails aren't pretty... I lost one during my cancer treatment and nearly lost another three... They crumbled and just kind of turned to powder. I have a full set of nails again now but they aren't the same... They're a bit thick and misshappened and I have no idea why but I do feel a tad embarrassed by them. Indeed one of the few times I cried during that time was when the first nail disintegrated and came off... Stupid really considering everything else that was going on.

Anyway... I guess my little message is that just painting on a little bit of polish makes me feel a little happier and the beauty of the Camino is that one walks their own path... With or without polish :D :oops:

I love a bit of toenail bling on the Camino - helps my feet keep up their spirits;). Also (while I'm in confessing mood) I love my little makeup kit with the all- essential eyeliner, mascara etc. And most precious of all my hairdryer - the smallest and lightest I can get. It has been borrowed on occasions by big macho peregrinos to (allegedly) 'help dry out a stubborn damp spot in their boot'. They looked great afterwards....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ha! I thought about this too....before I walked. Mani/Pedi places are hard to find in Europe in the BIG cities. Let alone the villages. Your nails look good. They're cut too short and too rounded - walking 8 hours a day with nails cut that short could spell ingrown toenails for you. Cut short and filed straight across is your best bet and easiest to care for. Go and get a good pedicure and a buff and polish one month before you leave. Don't let anyone mess with natural callous after that - you'll need them. Carry some decent clippers and a file in your pack so that you can tend your toes as needed. You really will see some feet that will leave you feeling sick - and your healthy looking toes will look super glam to you then. Also, once you're there, look around for a certain german foot cream. I don't remember the name but it is mentioned in other threads. It is the BEST stuff for your feet.
My biggest mistake regarding off the trail footwear was that I took some with a toe strap. Which meant I couldn't wear socks. And as often as not it was cold in the evenings and my boots were wet and I had to change and my feet froze.
A few days after the Camino I found a spa where I could get a mani/pedi and I was SO HAPPY! And it was insane and I ended the thing before it got started. (The "pedicurist" wanted me to stand in one of those little plug-in footbaths with a nubby bottom, lifting each leg in a stork-like fashion. No.)

Your nails look good. They're cut too short and too rounded - walking 8 hours a day with nails cut that short could spell ingrown toenails for you. Cut short and filed straight across is your best bet and easiest to care for.
Thanks, but those are not my feet. They belong to the shoe model. I don't ever do pedicures--just cut my own toenails with clippers once a month or so and that seems to work out just fine for me. I was just wondering more about the Camino culture--not that I am trendy or anything. I don't wear make up and my hair is cut short so I don't have to deal with it. That is my everyday plain, no-nonsense self. Just did not want to break some unspoken Camino or Spanish rule like "don't put your backpack on the bed or chair" or "Don't touch the fruit at the market" which I read about with interest here in the forum. Some of my colleagues would not be caught dead without toenails polished in sandals and I just wanted to make sure I was not going to be in the same kind of company on the Camino. Thank you all for your advice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
... Will I be a pariah for not wearing polish? ...

... I just wanted to be sure that I was not breaking some kind of fashion rule like wearing socks with the sandals (which I will probably do if people don't think my toes are acceptable.)...

... I was just wondering more about the Camino culture--not that I am trendy or anything. I don't wear make up and my hair is cut short so I don't have to deal with it. That is my everyday plain, no-nonsense self. Just did not want to break some unspoken Camino or Spanish rule like "don't put your backpack on the bed or chair" or "Don't touch the fruit at the market" which I read about with interest here in the forum. ...

There is no such thing like 'Camino Fashion rules' only something like 'Clean enough to wear' and, in some cases like Church visits, a relatively modest dressing style aka no extremely short shorts or extremely revealing tops, nothing else really.

I also think you might be worrying far too much how others perceive you, just take your usual

"everyday plain, no-nonsense self"

to the Camino and you will do absolutely fine.

Buen Camino, SY

What I will say about nail polish is Spain is that the Corte Ingles and many farmacias sell the Mvala brand which is sold in half ounce bottles. Great quality, great innovative colours in a small bottle you will use up before the polish dies. Stock up on it before catching your flight bafck home. And I carry a bottle of it in clear to prevent nail breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Will I be a pariah for not wearing polish?
I would like to give you my mother's comment. "I am not concerned what other people think of me. I'm more concerned what I think of them."
Do what you like with your nails, your hair, your make-up and please yourself. You can't please all the people all the time so pleasing yourself is always the best option.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino is a place where people routinely wear socks with sandals. Fashion is not a concern :)

And the point about being able to see the color of the nail bed is a good one. I had my toe nails painted - I wear sandals a lot and always have a good pedi, so having painted toenails is just normal for me - and because of the paint, I missed some important warning signsigns of impending toenail issues. Next time, no paint on my toenails.

Well, I have to admit, I have taken eyeliner with me on all three caminos 'just in case' - and think I used it once in a total of 114 days. It weighs virtually nothing and it may even accompany me on my next Camino 'just in case'.

As for toenail varnish - I went bare on the first two occasions, but ageing toenails are not a pretty sight. So last year I decided to at least start off with varnish and perhaps buy some remover when the time came. However when that time came (and had probably gone by a week or two) I passed a shop in Zamora (day 32, Camino Mozárabe) with an enticing display of prettily coloured varnish and was lured in to buy a tiny bottle of the coloured stuff, planning for a quick application and then to leave it behind. But it was so tiny that instead it found its way into my wash bag where it stayed until day 51, penultimate day of my Camino. I freshened up my toes in the sure knowledge that I would want to take a photo of my feet paddling through the lapping ocean at Finisterre. When this photo appeared in my blog there were very many comments of amazement at such well presented feet after walking 1,365 Camino kilometres (plus many more kms after reaching the day's destination).

The Camino has stripped me of almost all my vanity, and if you met me on along the way you would not expect that I was a person who cares about her appearance, but a tiny touch of glamour does no-one any harm. My toes were hidden away for 90% of the time, but when they made a rare appearance they made me smile. It is my dirty little secret!

But in answer to the OP, do whatever you want with your toes, very few will notice or care.
Buen Camino!

image.jpeg

The Camino has stripped me of almost all my vanity, and if you met me on along the way you would not expect that I was a person who cares about her appearance, but a tiny touch of glamour does no-one any harm. My toes were hidden away for 90% of the time, but when they made a rare appearance they made me smile. It is my dirty little secret!

But in answer to the OP, do whatever you want with your toes, very few will notice or care.
Buen Camino!

@Magwood ... I love reading your blogs... and I love this reply :):):)

@Magwood , I have to ask.... What was the special occasion that prompted you to pull out the eyeliner that one single time in more than 100 days? ;)

Aha, good question. And to be honest I really don't remember, so it couldn't have been that special. On my first Camino I was walking with my daughter who is a bit high maintenance in the makeup department and maybe I thought I should try to 'keep up' on just one occasion. But I should have known better - there's no way I could 'keep up' with Ella - she is very much one of a kind. She is a very well travelled young woman and was the sole reason that I walked my first Camino. She carried a 20 litre pack but could pull 'something special' out of nowhere every now and then so that she could look her usual glamorous self. I must have learned on that first eyeliner occasion that in her presence I became completely invisible, and so didn't ever bother again...But you never know, one Camino day I may want to look my best!

The Camino has stripped me of almost all my vanity,

View attachment 24130

Ah, I thought, a perfect opportunity to misquote Shakespeare. And then I thought "Tinca that little erratum would get you into much trouble". And then I thought "vanity": we think we know what it means and we think that defying it justifies our smug acceptance of our scruffy, odiferous peregrino selves. While we flaunt our multiple Caminos and grand wilderness treks; the lightness of our packs and the comfort of our boots; the distances covered and the speed, or slowness, of our camino consumption; our relationship with Pulpo and our knowledge of that little place around the corner that just happens to do the finest... (ok, so now I'm paraphrasing Jerome K Jerome (ain't I erudite))

So as I polish my boots and trim my beard and rehearse that story about the time I caught liver-fluke from a Patagonian Sloth I can at least comfort myself that this has nothing to do with vanity and that the state of my toenails is because I can't reach them anymore. Otherwise they would be Blue. (Insert emoticons as appropriate) ;)

This is a joke..right?

I certainly hope so! Nail polish or not, anyone over the age of 12 should not be so concerned about what other people think!

That said, I'm surprised at the comment about getting a pedicure before the camino...I've always found that getting a pedicure greatly increase my chances of blisters and refrain from all pedicures for about a month leading up to a big hike. I feel like I need the toughened skin and calluses to keep me comfortable!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fun post :) I am one of those people that does bring luxury items. I have some make up with me and shampoo and conditioner and moisturizer and yes I had a nice pedicure and nails polished before I left for Spain :) . The polish stayed only on for about 1 week though . And....I had 4 pairs of shoes with me which was my biggest luxury and I had not one blister the entire Camino (hiking shoes, trail runners, hiking sandals and flip flops). Total weight of all my gear was 18 lbs.
That's funny. I've been contemplating 3. Boots, favorite tennis shoes and some kind of sandals or maybe two! I will also get a pedi before I leave. Hate my nails without.

Ha! I thought about this too....before I walked. Mani/Pedi places are hard to find in Europe in the BIG cities. Let alone the villages. Your nails look good. They're cut too short and too rounded - walking 8 hours a day with nails cut that short could spell ingrown toenails for you. Cut short and filed straight across is your best bet and easiest to care for. Go and get a good pedicure and a buff and polish one month before you leave. Don't let anyone mess with natural callous after that - you'll need them. Carry some decent clippers and a file in your pack so that you can tend your toes as needed. You really will see some feet that will leave you feeling sick - and your healthy looking toes will look super glam to you then. Also, once you're there, look around for a certain german foot cream. I don't remember the name but it is mentioned in other threads. It is the BEST stuff for your feet.
My biggest mistake regarding off the trail footwear was that I took some with a toe strap. Which meant I couldn't wear socks. And as often as not it was cold in the evenings and my boots were wet and I had to change and my feet froze.
A few days after the Camino I found a spa where I could get a mani/pedi and I was SO HAPPY! And it was insane and I ended the thing before it got started. (The "pedicurist" wanted me to stand in one of those little plug-in footbaths with a nubby bottom, lifting each leg in a stork-like fashion. No.)
Great point. I was just trying on sandals yesterday and see why I shouldn't get the toe strap.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This years colour is Blue. Red is very last year and will imply that you are lost. :)
Yes, blue is good, but black is better. With that, people won't notice that your toenails are about to fall off!

That's funny. I've been contemplating 3. Boots, favorite tennis shoes and some kind of sandals or maybe two! I will also get a pedi before I leave. Hate my nails without.
I had my boots, super light flip flops and the aforementioned toe teva type sandals. In Leon I bought a pair of incredibly comfortable running shoes and wore them as often as not, saving the boots for rough terrain days.
If you go and get a pedi about a month before, and ask them to just buff them up for you without polish you might be OK with the natural look. And it is so much better than the grown out chipped off look! Buy a buff and some sort of clear polish that strengthens and nourishes. But a pedi right before will remove all the natural callous your training has built up for you. My marathoner pals taught me this.

I didn't regret bringing 4 pairs of shoes for 1 minute and will do the same coming June for my 2nd Camino. Happy feet....happy walker ! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was the fashion disaster on my Camino. Pink and purple hiking shoes that were wrapped in plastic bags with multicoloured electrical tape, black runners tights, light blue Nike top, red rain jacket UNDER a neon lime green trainers jacket. Paws and claws unpainted and cut short. Not a stitch of makeup or hairdo. And I come from one of the most image conscious countries in the world.

Don't bother with any of that, is a waste of time. People already think you are beautiful just for doing the Camino. Spend it taking care of your feet every day when you get in. Soak them, dry them off really well, especially between toes, and then powder with Mycota.

€60,-
This is hilarious.

while walking in France I met a young woman in a gite who had a pack I could barely lift. When I asked what she was carrying - she slowly began producing items off the top: a tent, which she hadn't used in two weeks of walking, a butane stove and extra canister - also unused, two pots, good knife fork and spoon,
one plate, one bowl, a hair curler, a hair dryer, electric razor to shave her legs, a pack of 5 or 6 different lipstick colours and you guessed it - toenail polish to match the lipsticks.
Goota love the French

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Cheers, I'm on the last week before my first Camino (frances) and anxiety is rising... I will start from SJPP on apr/30, and understood that maybe on the first section of the Camino, I might...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.