• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toilet paper on the camino

Janana

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
I just returned from a lovely camino walk on the Portuguese coast route. I cannot believe all the toilet paper in the bushes. Please lovely pilgrims, put used toilet paper in a baggie and dispose of it when you pass a trash can. It is disgusting to duck into the forest to have a pee and find the ground littered with used TP. Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I cannot believe all the toilet paper in the bushes.
Regular readers of the forum would not be surprised.

I don’t Understand the rationale.
There is no rationale. There is no thought except one's own convenience.

It is a matter of general education and attitude towards litter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I did see the posts. Any solutions??? Issuing plastic TP bags with Camino Stamp Passports???
HiJanana!

Some people don't care what effect they have on others and where they live.
I would expect some bright spark will think i can hang this off a tree and others will follow moving the problem to a higher level!
Woody
EDIT: Posted the above yesterday!
Here is an example of the way people think near where i live.
There is a public footpath across farmland where i walk my dog marked by the acorn sign on a wooden post! (200metres away as you leave the road there is a poo bin)
Around the base of the wooden post there are i imagine in excess of two or three hundred multi coloured full dog poo bags !
People are sheep "Oh look they've done it;so it must be OK"
Then the Flock gets bigger.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I did see the posts. Any solutions??? Issuing plastic TP bags with Camino Stamp Passports???
Or signs in every albergue, pension, and hotel along every camino in at least 6 languages asking people not to do it. It wouldn´t stop everyone but at least it gives the message that people know, and care.

If we could get people to start using a Kula cloth or pee rags that they could wash out at night, it might cut down on the TP, as well as all the plastic bags being used to carry it to the trash can. A bandanna cut in fourths is super easy to use and to wash out. (good to use as a hanky too, instead of tissues. I have separate ones)
I did see a number of women with a Kula cloth pinned to their back pack this past spring on the CF, so the word is getting around.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think anyone who craps wherever they please on any camino can never say they think the camino is sacred space or respects the camino or other pilgrims. (Yea, yea I know there are exceptions but they are few and far between. It ain't that tough to carry baggies and wipes or toilet paper.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just returned from a lovely camino walk on the Portuguese coast route. I cannot believe all the toilet paper in the bushes. Please lovely pilgrims, put used toilet paper in a baggie and dispose of it when you pass a trash can. It is disgusting to duck into the forest to have a pee and find the ground littered with used TP. Thanks
Yes it is a sad sight but if you, duck into the forest for a pee , then other can do it too . It’s too bad there aren’t trash bins somewhere .

Just an observation.........

During my four times on the Frances so far, it was sad to see the amount of tissue and worse behind any 'suitable' looking bush.

This year on the VdlP and Invierno, with longer distances between villages, and less facilities open generally, often none all day, I don't recall seeing any such refuse! Nada.

But I only met 2 Pilgrims who were on their 'first' Camino........

Just saying..........

No doubt we will go through a range of solutions to this problem, many of which will involve what other people, normally the local Spanish or Portuguese governments, should do to fix it.

Although forum members are a very small percentage of the pilgrim population, we can still make a difference by doing some simple things ourselves.
  • While I am unlikely to leave behind toilet paper after I urinate, I do carry a plastic bag into which my rubbish is put during the day. That is largely fruit peel and wrappers from muesli bars and sweets. Women who might need to use toilet paper or tissues can do the same, or they can use some of the other, toilet paper free, approaches to feminine hygiene such as @Elle Bieling has already suggested.
  • Every time I visit a bar for a coffee and snack, it is my practice to visit the toilet there. If you aren't going to buy something, leave a donation. Where I am staying now, the charge for the use of a toilet in bus and train terminals varies a bit, but expect it to be between .50c and 1 Euro. I don't expect an public toilet to be free in Europe, but I am happy when it is and they are clean as well.
  • I have for many years carried the end of a roll of toilet paper and a small trowel, in case I do find myself having to defecate on the trail. I have never needed to use it walking on the Iberian peninsula, but I put that down to there being sufficient bars and cafes where I can use a toilet. In other places I have walked, one isn't always so fortunate.
While my observations over the years are that this is not uniquely a problem on the CF, and this thread was started by someone on the CP, other routes I have walked seem to have far less litter generally, and toilet paper in particular, than I remember being on the CF. It is a shame, but as forum members we can at least do something about it as individuals, and not rely on others to provide convenient solutions, much as that might sound attractive.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How about everyone who reads Ivar's posts resolves to pick up the equivalent of one large bag of litter. I'm going to take a small pair of tongs and, as a contribution to the Camino, pick up litter. Maybe over days, maybe one big day, not sure yet. Let's all do that maybe? Let's do it as a tribute to John Brierley

No doubt we will go through a range of solutions to this problem, many of which will involve what other people, normally the local Spanish or Portuguese governments, should do to fix it.

Although forum members are a very small percentage of the pilgrim population, we can still make a difference by doing some simple things ourselves.
  • While I am unlikely to leave behind toilet paper after I urinate, I do carry a plastic bag into which my rubbish is put during the day. That is largely fruit peel and wrappers from muesli bars and sweets. Women who might need to use toilet paper or tissues can do the same, or they can use some of the other, toilet paper free, approaches to feminine hygiene such as @Elle Bieling has already suggested.
  • Every time I visit a bar for a coffee and snack, it is my practice to visit the toilet there. If you aren't going to buy something, leave a donation. Where I am staying now, the charge for the use of a toilet in bus and train terminals varies a bit, but expect it to be between .50c and 1 Euro. I don't expect an public toilet to be free in Europe, but I am happy when it is and they are clean as well.
  • I have for many years carried the end of a roll of toilet paper and a small trowel, in case I do find myself having to defecate on the trail. I have never needed to use it walking on the Iberian peninsula, but I put that down to there being sufficient bars and cafes where I can use a toilet. In other places I have walked, one isn't always so fortunate.
While my observations over the years is that this is not uniquely a problem on the CF, and this thread was started by someone on the CP, other routes I have walked seem to have far less litter generally, and toilet paper in particular, than I remember being on the CF. It is a shame, but as forum members we can at least do something about it as individuals, and not rely on others to provide convenient solutions, much as that might sound attractive.
As toilet paper is being deposited, all that’s missing is a plastic trowel in your pack to bury the evidence. They are lightweight and allow you to follow the basic rule to “leave no trace”.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes it is a sad sight but if you, duck into the forest for a pee , then other can do it too . It’s too bad there aren’t trash bins somewhere .
I think what folks are suggesting is that those others, knowing that there unlikely to be trash bins just sitting in the forest wherever you duck in, might bring some sort of portable rubbish bag to take out the TP to where trash bins can be found.

In case of need, bring your own roll -- and a useful little plastic bag or two, such as those given for fruit or veg purposes in towns or pueblos along the Way.

These sorts of emergencies are rare in my experience, so it should be a small roll ; and in most cases, the next village is near enough.

Just an observation.........

During my four times on the Frances so far, it was sad to see the amount of tissue and worse behind any 'suitable' looking bush.

This year on the VdlP and Invierno, with longer distances between villages, and less facilities open generally, often none all day, I don't recall seeing any such refuse! Nada.

But I only met 2 Pilgrims who were on their 'first' Camino........

Just saying..........
I’m on the Invierno now, and I haven’t seen one single piece of toilet paper. Of course, I also go days without seeing anyone else on the trail at all … I’m using a kula cloth, and it’s working out great. One of the good things about this Camino is that there’s no shortage of places you can easily pee without anyone around.😁

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m on the Invierno now, and I haven’t seen one single piece of toilet paper. Of course, I also go days without seeing anyone else on the trail at all … I’m using a kula cloth, and it’s working out great. One of the good things about this Camino is that there’s no shortage of places you can easily pee without anyone around.😁
How lucky! I must have the mentality of the herd, because on the CF, whenever I went off the trail to urinate, I found that many others had been there before me. The CP was better, but it was only on some of the less travelled caminos this year that I didn't see toilet paper every time I stopped.

Having been a Ditch Pig, I have been there and done that - spending the better part of a week picking up other people's used toilet paper - and worse - along the Camino. I endorse everything that Dougfitz has to say on this subject.

Pilgrims SHOULD get in the habit of always carrying their own trash and sanitary waste out with them until it can be property disposed of. The portable bidet idea that Elle speaks of is also great, if you can carry the entra water and don't mind having to wash hands extra, extra well afterwards.

To add my two cents worth to the dialog, here is my personal favorite grabbing tool for toting on Camino - in folds in half and stores in a side pocket:

I have purchased these both in the US, and on the Spanish site while in Santiago. I also use this tool around the Pilgrim Office when volunteering, to pick up assorted detritus from the ground. Usually, I leave the one I brought for others to use. As it is always gone by the next time I return, I always bring another one.

IMHO, if everyone did a little, every time, no one would have to do a lot to clean up after others. It is IMHO, the civilized and responsible thing to do.

Hope this helps the dialog.

Tom

I think anyone who craps wherever they please on any camino can never say they think the camino is sacred space or respects the camino or other pilgrims. (Yea, yea I know there are exceptions but they are few and far between. It ain't that tough to carry baggies and wipes or toilet paper.
I would go further and say it disrespects Spain and the Spanish.
Many of the villages and spigots in rural Spain rely on the springs and underground aquifers. This is untreated waste and it should come as no surprise that some water outlets are considered "non potable".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m on the Invierno now, and I haven’t seen one single piece of toilet paper.
I recently walked the second half of the Norte and started in Oviedo. I don't recall seeing any toilet paper along the trail or behind bushes. I personally am a fan of using a small day pad to catch any drips (for the ladies) and lasts the whole day.

Hello to all who chimed in on this post. Wow -- great thoughts and ideas. I love the sign about "Why are you littering?" Let's keep the conversation alive and spread the ideas and encouragement to all Pilgrims -- present and future. A Clean Camino is a worthy spiritual endeavor.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I live in a beautiful, wonderful part of the world..I am lucky and count my blessings every day.
I live on the "Monarchs Way" a path I walk daily with my lovely furry companion. He appreciates it as much as I. It is a shared path with historical significance and enjoyed by all.
My house has a brook passing the front which feeds the drinking water for Bristol to Chew Valley lake, itself an area of outstanding natural beauty of mixed use beyond the drinking water purpose.
It does not take much imagination for me to envisage that this was a route of religious or cultural significance. I just shut my eyes and let my imagination flow.
Thousands upon thousands of people passing my front door, flying in from all corners of the globe; who now had adopted these ancient byways; bridleways footpaths and roads as their own.
If some of the issues that are raised on this, and other threads, were inflicted on me and others who live here and appreciate and respect what we have do you think that we would accept it and stand for it?

NOT for one cotton picking minute.

Would I and others accept the pooification (moderators note: now you are making words up BB..stop it) and be responsible for sorting out your problem?

NOT for one cotton picking minute.

The Local Authority here would be contacting every institution responsible it could demanding answers and demanding a solution was found and fast. If not then the route would be closed to those that defecated, defiled and disrespected this area. That is if the residents and people who lived here hadn't taken matters in there own hands first.

If you poop, pick it up and that goes for all the other paraphernalia associated with your walk.

Last edited:
Hello to all who chimed in on this post. Wow -- great thoughts and ideas. I love the sign about "Why are you littering?" Let's keep the conversation alive and spread the ideas and encouragement to all Pilgrims -- present and future. A Clean Camino is a worthy spiritual endeavor.
How lucky! I must have the mentality of the herd, because on the CF, whenever I went off the trail to urinate, I found that many others had been there before me. The CP was better, but it was only on some of the less travelled caminos this year that I didn't see toilet paper every time I stopped.
Women & others who squat to pee, be bold & use a Stand To Pee device. They are discreet & can eliminate the paper trail. I just returned from the Camino Frances & loved using the pStyle. It is designed to also wipe - no Kula cloth or toilet paper needed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the USA I bought compostable dog-poop bags and use those to carry my used paper. I also use them for untimely feces (double bag if necessary). I made space in the top of my pack to carry the used bag and then watch for a disposal bin. It’s worked very well!
Did the same. I have dogs, so I just bunged a roll of poop bags into my pack, with a 1/4 roll of TP (squished flat). I would use the bags to pick up paper (banana skins, other pilgrim garbage) I would see on the trail as well as my own TP, and empty them into a bin. If they got gross, I would just toss the whole bag. A roll of 15 lasted me the 37 days.

When I walked the Camino Frances in 2001 there was no toilet paper on the trail. I walked again in 2017 and the entire length of the Camino was like an open sewer with piles of poo and toilet paper in the bushes and under trees. Every good bush I saw to have a poo had already welcomed scores of others and they left their poo and their paper on the ground.

I also passed a women peeing standing up using one of those gadgets that they hold to their bodies to allow the urine to run off into the air.

How about everyone who reads Ivar's posts resolves to pick up the equivalent of one large bag of litter. I'm going to take a small pair of tongs and, as a contribution to the Camino, pick up litter. Maybe over days, maybe one big day, not sure yet. Let's all do that maybe? Let's do it as a tribute to John Brierley
When I went in April/May, I picked up all the Pilgrim garbage I saw for three of the five weeks. It wasn’t a lot, I didn’t search off trail for garbage, but I certainly left the trail cleaner - that’s my principle for any hiking I do. Rather than set a difficult goal, just vow to leave it cleaner than when you arrived.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
These pee cloths are great. I don't intend to promote a specific company, as there are a number out there. They can be easily ordered online. Now to get everyone to use them....

Hear, hear!!! We pick up after our dogs on walks all the time - just pack a bunch of poop bags, and be a respectful visitor to those beautiful countries!

You can also use a stand to pee device like the pStyle - no TP required! They are super discreet (pulling down pants not required), and allow you to remain standing - in addition to wiping you on the way out!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
These pee cloths are great. I don't intend to promote a specific company, as there are a number out there. They can be easily ordered online. Now to get everyone to use them....

If you go into the forest to Pee , it’s not too different than other people doing the same thing

There is a type of TP made for RVs and campers that dissolves easily and quickly in water and if used could minimize the problems as it rains

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As toilet paper is being deposited, all that’s missing is a plastic trowel in your pack to bury the evidence. They are lightweight and allow you to follow the basic rule to “leave no trace”.
Sorry, but I don't believe this is the solution.
Animals will dig it up.
Rain will not dissolve it.
Digging disturbs the natural biome, especially with thousands of pilgrims digging holes.
Just do your pooping before you leave the albergue or carry a doggie bag.

And the BIGGEST problem (in my opinion) isn't poop, anyway. It is toilet paper left by WOMEN when they squat to pee. Women who would be raising Holy HELL if someone squatted in THEIR yard, peed, and left paper. I just can't wrap my head around why women think it's ok to do this.

I really think something needs to be preached in SJPP and Roncesvalles and all along the route about picking up and carrying out TP.

Not everyone can afford or will buy a Kula Cloth.
For some reason, carrying out TP makes women more squeamish than simply leaving it where they squat.

And TP isn't the worst of it.
I've seen tampons and pads and pantyliners discarded.
Men aren't doing that.
It's gross - and if I see anyone doing it, I will call them out.
It's disgusting.
It's a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

Sorry, but I don't believe this is the solution.
Animals will dig it up.
Rain will not dissolve it.
Digging disturbs the natural biome, especially with thousands of pilgrims digging holes.
Just do your pooping before you leave the albergue or carry a doggie bag.

And the BIGGEST problem (in my opinion) isn't poop, anyway. It is toilet paper left by WOMEN when they squat to pee. Women who would be raising Holy HELL if someone squatted in THEIR yard, peed, and left paper. I just can't wrap my head around why women think it's ok to do this.

I really think something needs to be preached in SJPP and Roncesvalles and all along the route about picking up and carrying out TP.

Not everyone can afford or will buy a Kula Cloth.
For some reason, carrying out TP makes women more squeamish than simply leaving it where they squat.

And TP isn't the worst of it.
I've seen tampons and pads and pantyliners discarded.
Men aren't doing that.
It's gross - and if I see anyone doing it, I will call them out.
It's disgusting.
It's a HUGE pet peeve of mine.
It's just plain dirty!

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back