• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

no toilet paper in washroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielle aird

La vie est belle
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018; September 2018; May 2019; Sept (2019)
I hesitated before posting this. I have often heard about frustrated washroom users who noticed too late that the toilet paper roll or dispenser was empty. My suggestion: When someone uses the last piece of paper on the roll, put the toilet seat down and place the empty roll on top to warn the next pilgrim. I even heard of someone who had to take apart their Covid mask to use the paper. That cannot be good for the plumbing. Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Surely that is a fate that falls only once?

I’ve a packet of tissues in my pocket even as I type this and yet I’m sat in my rather nicely appointed lounge with a choice of facilities in easy reach 😉
it might not work all the time, but if it works sometime, that will be that...

I carry my own poop kit. Trowel, paper, plastic bag. Too many peeps use the paper for drying off after showers! Selfish

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hesitated before posting this. I have often heard about frustrated washroom users who noticed too late that the toilet paper roll or dispenser was empty. My suggestion: When someone uses the last piece of paper on the roll, put the toilet seat down and place the empty roll on top to warn the next pilgrim.
Good idea, but also tell whoever is in charge that there's no TP.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hesitated before posting this. I have often heard about frustrated washroom users who noticed too late that the toilet paper roll or dispenser was empty. My suggestion: When someone uses the last piece of paper on the roll, put the toilet seat down and place the empty roll on top to warn the next pilgrim. I even heard of someone who had to take apart their Covid mask to use the paper. That cannot be good for the plumbing. Buen camino!
I think that is a lost cause. That is a task I cant even count on others to do in our own house.
Left to their own devises the kids (now grown with their own kids) will leave an empty cardboard roll on the holder and use a new roll left on the floor! And no-one will ever own up to being the culprit.
They will leave it for days until I get frustrated and put a new roll on myself.
And dont get me started on putting toilet seats down. I have noticed though that now that they have their own kids, they are better with this. (Their wives have more influence than me obviously)
How you would go about getting a whole lot of strangers to comply is beyond me.

When walking the Camino I take tissues with me.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think that is a lost cause. That is a task I cant even even count on others to do in our own house.
Left to their own devises the kids (now grown with their own kids) will leave an empty cardboard roll on the holder and use a new roll left on the floor! And no-one will ever own up to being the culprit.
So, it wasn't just my kids?😂

When mine were teenagers they liked to listen to the radio while they were showering or getting ready in the bathroom. I finally took the radio away until they started putting the new roll on the holder.
(Sorry for the digression)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I hesitated before posting this. I have often heard about frustrated washroom users who noticed too late that the toilet paper roll or dispenser was empty.

I don't remember ever in my adult life, using a loo without checking there is paper.. in my home, in a bar, in a public place.. anywhere! Why would you leave it til it's too late to check??

I had an unfortunate experience in Torres del Rio late one October during a mid-morning 'comfort stop' for coffee and the loo. Wherever you do 'use the facilities' beware of the doors.
Beware the doors indeed! I don't remember where it was (somewhere after Sahagun) and I stopped for coffee and to use the facilities. I left my pack with my phone with my friends. Went downstairs and into the washroom, where the lights went on as I opened the door. The lights went off 10 seconds later. Fine, no problem. I tried to unlock the door to the stall, it was a flat, circular lock. Twist left, push. Nothing. Twist right, push, nothing. I spent the next few minutes getting more and more panicked as I spun the lock in the dark desperately trying to get out of the stall. After a few minutes the lock fell out of the door and clattered onto the floor as I continued to push on the door. Finally it moved. Sideways, it was a sliding door. When I stepped out of the stall the lights miraculously came on so I could find the sink and wash my hands. I made a point of always taking my phone with me after that in case I needed the flashlight or to call for assistance lol.

**always carry tissues with you, busy cafes sometimes run out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I usually pocket the large paper napkin brought to me with my meals. Something sometime is going to need wiping along the way.
I have a fettish about keeping napkins given to me in restaurants. On the Camino, if I have barely used them, I always take them with me as it seems wastefull to let them be tossed in a bin. They come in handy; sometimes even to blow my nose later.👃

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And here I thought I was the only person who obsessively always takes the extra paper napkins from restaurants! My glove box in my car is stuffed with them for roadside bathroom breaks and clearing splattered bugs off of the windshield and, of course, blowing my nose and a thousand other things.

Count me among those who always have a packet of tissues on my person so I don’t get caught with my pants down in the toilet.

To add, please don't flush anything other than toiletpaper. Everything else (your napkins, tissues, etc) go in the bin. We have all seen those notices, and yes it is so anyoing when you have to unblock toilets because of this (daily). As someone who works in hospitaliy in a touristy area, I'm appaled how people leave a toilet (pet peeve: paper everywhere but in the bin, if it fell out of your hand, you can pick it up right?).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't use toilet paper at home. I installed a bum wash a long time ago. I have a stack of very small towels (which get washed at 90 degrees) kept next to the loo for drying purposes. Let's face it, if you got dog shit on your hands you wouldn't just wipe it off with paper, would you?
I do supply paper for visitors who don't want to do the water wash.
Away from home I have to use paper (in Europe, anyway) Which isn't good for plumbing or the environment. Quite a lot of Spanish plumbing doesn't like too much paper. If there is an open bin next to the loo, use it. You might think it's gross but it saves someone the even worse task of unclogging the toilet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As good as this advice may be - leaving the empty roll on the seat to warn the next person - I am surprised that the first course of action isn't to tell the staff! My camino trail name should be She Who Has To Get More Toilet Paper because I always tell the staff - even if it's running dangerously low! Please, people, the next person could be in some considerable distress and/or urgent need, so don't just walk off, make sure the barstaff or hospitaleros know - and the queue outside too, if there is one. Some of them will have their own, as we all should for emergencies.
And please don't steal toilet paper from the toilets along the way - buy a few rolls and leave the rest in the albergue or share with other pilgrims.

Beware the doors indeed!
I spent the next few minutes getting more and more panicked as I spun the lock in the dark desperately trying to get out of the stall.
I relate completely, as I too, have been caught several times in complete darkness, while sitting on toilets in Europe. My most recent experience of waving my arms around did not bring the lights back on; it is a panicky feeling to be sure. I have never experienced lights going out in the US.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't use toilet paper at home. I installed a bum wash a long time ago. I have a stack of very small towels (which get washed at 90 degrees) kept next to the loo for drying purposes. Let's face it, if you got dog shit on your hands you wouldn't just wipe it off with paper, would you?
I do supply paper for visitors who don't want to do the water wash.
Away from home I have to use paper (in Europe, anyway) Which isn't good for plumbing or the environment. Quite a lot of Spanish plumbing doesn't like too much paper. If there is an open bin next to the loo, use it. You might think it's gross but it saves someone the even worse task of unclogging the toilet.
I read the 90 degrees as the angle not the temperature and was trying to work out what you were saying. Clearly I need to do more washing!

I can clearly remember my father saying, at least once at the end of a meal, "Never throw away a good napkin without blowing your nose in it" and he proceeded to do so. 🤣 For some reason I found it funny and it has stuck in my mind.
My grandma always had a napkin or tissue tucked up her sleeve, just in case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Herself always carries one of those little packages of Kleenex in here fanny bag and several in her backpack for reasons like this.

I had an unfortunate experience in Torres del Rio late one October during a mid-morning 'comfort stop' for coffee and the loo. Wherever you do 'use the facilities' beware of the doors.
I had the same experience there! We stayed there and my lock-in happened late evening. Distressing!

Was there not a campaign a few years ago to opt out of poop kits (burying), to a sort of poop and scoop policy? Like we do for our puppies?

Let's look at the math.
Say we have 100,000 Pilgrims on 500 miles of Camino taking 30 days to complete. Let's just go with one BM per day; so...

100,000 pilgrims X 30 days X 1 BM per day = 6,000 poops per mile or, MORE than 1 poop per foot.
500 miles
We can see how this, over centuries, would easily get out of hand. Fortunately, most make it to facilities. But the numbers are definitely an eye opener.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The well-prepared pilgrim ASSUMES this will happen, and brings a partial TP roll and a packet of pre-moistened wipes for clean up. We all learned the hard way.

It is just one of those things.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The well-prepared pilgrim ASSUMES this will happen, and brings a partial TP roll and a packet of pre-moistened wipes for clean up. We all learned the hard way.
Sound advice. Perhaps I can add that it is a bad idea to use alcohol hand gel in the cleaning up if there has been any significant chafing in the area. Possibly TMI but a lesson learned the very hard way....

I relate completely, as I too, have been caught several times in complete darkness, while sitting on toilets in Europe. My most recent experience of waving my arms around did not bring the lights back on; it is a panicky feeling to be sure. I have never experienced lights going out in the US.
This might be obvious to a lot of people but maybe not to those unfamiliar with the timer lights often in toilet cubicles in Spain.... If the light is not motion sensitive then there is usually a light switch within the cubicle which also has a tiny light on the switch i.e. so it is possible to find the switch in the dark. The light might not be noticeable when the main light is on but should be visible in the dark.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I freaked the first time I encountered these 30 second timers. Then I realized I needed to move.

It works okay for a guy standing up. But someone sitting down - especially if in a cubicle - may have a hard time waving an arm to alert the sensor to turn on.

I learned to appreciate this fact of life along the Camino. Plus, the price of electricity in Spain is insane.

By government policy, it is among the highest taxed (and priced) commodity in the Spanish economy. They know that everyone must consume electricity, regardless of any other lifestyle choices. It is cynical- but it is what it is.

As I learned in another life - “embrace the suck.”

Hope this helps

Tom

Wow! Lots of good answers on the toilet paper issue! Being an avid hiker, we always carry our own poop bag (because everyone should practice “Leave No Trace”). We take the cardboard out of the roll to make it flat and less bulky, zip lock for the dirty paper, hand sanitizer and a trowel (this for outside). As for any toilet locations first thing look and make sure there’s TP, and always bring your poop bag as backup! Makes Life easier!!! BUEN CAMINO

Was there not a campaign a few years ago to opt out of poop kits (burying), to a sort of poop and scoop policy? Like we do for our puppies?

Let's look at the math.
Say we have 100,000 Pilgrims on 500 miles of Camino taking 30 days to complete. Let's just go with one BM per day; so...

100,000 pilgrims X 30 days X 1 BM per day = 6,000 poops per mile or, MORE than 1 poop per foot.
500 miles
We can see how this, over centuries, would easily get out of hand. Fortunately, most make it to facilities. But the numbers are definitely an eye opener.
I am an opponent to the poop and scoop (of the human variety). Faeces/feces is biodegradable and does not belong in a landfill. It’s fertilizer if dealt with properly.

As well, if everyone carried their poop to a garbage bin, the sanitary workers have to deal with the added burden of smell and weight when they get around to emptying those already overflowing bins.

The smell is also attractive to dogs and critters, the the garbage gets ripped apart and becomes unsightly (and bears may roam into town).

Leave no trace is important, but putting it into landfills isn’t the solution, imho.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I usually pocket the large paper napkin brought to me with my meals.
I have a fettish about keeping napkins given to me in restaurants.
OMG! Me too. 😂
On my morning walk today I spotted a cool fluorescent orange plastic twine that I would have picked up to re-purpose just in case on the Camino, but today, scooped it up, so it wouldn’t end up in some critter’s belly.

I always check for 4 things:

1. Running water in the sink before I pump the soap.
2. Location of the light switch.
3. Paper
4. Bears

Based on the results of my search I proceed accordingly.
Bears? Polar, brown, panda or grizzly?
I don't think I ever came across a sink that didn't have running water. Plenty that didn't have hot running water, but that's a luxury. It's amazing how quickly you forget (like 5 minutes) that you slid the door to close it. That happened to me in Monreal. I was banging on the door for 5 minutes (it felt like). Somebody came and slid the door open. Sometimes it's good not to be able to speak the language.

€83,-
Simple solution carry a package of disposable wipes like Charmen in your backpack 🎒 I have done this for 11 years and 9 Camino’s Supermarcados all carry one brand or another

It is just one of those things.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Definitely carry a bit of TP. A Kula Cloth or cotton bandana are also quite handy as pee rags when there’s no TP in the loo or you’re out in the wild.

I think that is a lost cause. That is a task I cant even count on others to do in our own house.
They will leave it for days until I get frustrated and put a new roll on myself.
And dont get me started on putting toilet seats down. I have noticed though that now that they have their own kids, they are better with this. (Their wives have more influence than me obviously)

Brilliant! And true!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. Always take toilet paper with you and be self sufficient on the Camino.

I always, always have baby wipes. I use them in the bathroom and on the camino to wipe up after lunch or a snack. Always have some zip lock bags to throw them in. It works really well.

€46,-
Definitely carry a bit of TP. A Kula Cloth or cotton bandana are also quite handy as pee rags when there’s no TP in the loo or you’re out in the wild.
This right here! ^ I never hike (or go to a festival or wine tasting or…) without a Kula cloth. I just bought two more, specifically for the Camino we start at the end of May. They’re great for a lot of things, like wiping sweat or sunscreen spills too. Just get different patterns for pee vs everything else and don’t mix them up! 🤣 Super light and an essential piece of gear for me.

Always have some tissue with you. Assume there will be none and be pleasantly surprised when there is some.

Always have some tissue with you. Assume there will be none and be pleasantly surprised when there is some.
Yes! I was always so happy when a bathroom had something for me to dry my washed hands which was rare!!!! It was always the smallest things. Lol.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the whole of the Frances and on to Finisterre and Muxia and I always carried toilet paper from day one. Even when I'm at home, like Tinka, I carry tissues.
Standard practice when I walk is to always carry toilet paper. Apart from the toilet issue, can be very useful for other situations.

I freaked the first time I encountered these 30 second timers. Then I realized I needed to move.

It works okay for a guy standing up. But someone sitting down - especially if in a cubicle - may have a hard time waving an arm to alert the sensor to turn on.

I learned to appreciate this fact of life along the Camino. Plus, the price of electricity in Spain is insane.

By government policy, it is among the highest taxed (and priced) commodity in the Spanish economy. They know that everyone must consume electricity, regardless of any other lifestyle choices. It is cynical- but it is what it is.

As I learned in another life - “embrace the suck.”

Hope this helps

Tom
In Maine (USA) one of the two electric companies is owned by a Spanish company. I feel Spain’s high electricity charge pain even when I’m not on a camino! And if they ever try to convince us to put in bathroom timers—they’ll get voted out!! It’ll be a cold day in hell!!😜🤣

€60,-
My grandma, too! After she passed away, I took care of her belongings. Tucked into every purse and most pockets was a small packet of Kleenex, often in a Ziploc baggie. Wise women! And good memories :)
My grandmother and mom both tucked kleenex in their sleeves at home, purses and pockets.
My problem is I've occasionally washed pants with one still in the pocket and it makes a mess all torn apart and clinging to everything.🙄

In Maine (USA) one of the two electric companies is owned by a Spanish company. I feel Spain’s high electricity charge pain even when I’m not on a camino! And if they ever try to convince us to put in bathroom timers—they’ll get voted out!! It’ll be a cold day in hell!!😜🤣
But surely the timers are a good thing? They prevent wastage of costly energy, ensuring that the light is only on when absolutely required. Given energy costs and general need to be more mindful of using the earth's scarce resources, i would welcome wider use of these types of lights.
And the added benefit of motion sensitive lights in the office for example means i get up and move every time they go off 😁

But surely the timers are a good thing? They prevent wastage of costly energy, ensuring that the light is only on when absolutely required. Given energy costs and general need to be more mindful of using the earth's scarce resources, i would welcome wider use of these types of lights.
And the added benefit of motion sensitive lights in the office for example means i get up and move every time they go off 😁
I don’t wish to have to get up before I’m finished!! I consider that time absolutely required! I’ve been stuck when the lights went out and could not get them to turn back on. That could be problematic!🤣

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Two quick points. Pack a 1/3 roll of tp and remove the center cardboard to save space. Second (in general), PLEASE do not throw used tissues (#1) on the ground - take a ziplock and pack it out.

Buy your own supplies. As a Hospitalero I’ve seen toilet tissue disappear at an alarming rate. Wet wipes work better and take up less space in your pace. Consider others, we are a community.

I’ve always wondered if what happens is that all the toilet paper rolls hang there and they listen to all those conversations about pilgrimage and Santiago and they think “I could have that” and so, in the morning, the surviving rolls smuggle themselves into pilgrims’ backpacks and set out on their own way to Santiago

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will probably find that the toilet paper was taken by another pilgrim so that they don't get caught without any.

Enough said about the few selfish pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On the same topic, I am always impressed by how immaculately clean the toilets are in Spanish cafes and restaurants.
And in that same vein, I was impressed with the bathroom hardware -- solid locks, heavy duty hinges, high end faucets in even basic cafes, etc.

A man goes to the loo, sits down and does his business. He looks around and discovers there's no paper. He sees a foot under the stall next door and asks "hey buddy, you got any paper over there?" There's a pause and a voice replies "Oh no! There's none over here either". There's a long pause and the first man asks "Do you have change for a €20 bill?

First (2005) Camino the morning business pilgrims were stealing whole rolls of tp to take with them for the day.
Is it a camino angel when another pilgrim bought rolls from a store, rerolled into manageable smaller rolls, and offered up to fellow pilgrims?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am an opponent to the poop and scoop (of the human variety). Faeces/feces is biodegradable and does not belong in a landfill. It’s fertilizer if dealt with properly.

As well, if everyone carried their poop to a garbage bin, the sanitary workers have to deal with the added burden of smell and weight when they get around to emptying those already overflowing bins.

The smell is also attractive to dogs and critters, the the garbage gets ripped apart and becomes unsightly (and bears may roam into town).

Leave no trace is important, but putting it into landfills isn’t the solution, imho.
Where, at home, are pet droppings disposed of? Methinks the landfill is indeed where it all ends up.

Where, at home, are pet droppings disposed of? Methinks the landfill is indeed where it all ends up.
True, it is. At home, it’s our own burden, and in an environmentally friendly society, there would be compost heaps to empty those bags into.

Back in the day, our parents and grandparents emptied the contents of diapers into the toilet before laundering the cloth. Now, people close up the disposable diapers and dump the whole contents into the garbage which goes to the landfill. Our municipal governments spend our money trucking that garbage far from urban settings. … I feel a political rant approaching so I will stop.

As wise pilgrims, visiting someone else’s home, we can pick a spot, dig a hole, and leave our poop to dessicate and fertilize the flora. Carry out the paper. I know, I’m dreaming.

I usually carry tp, just in case. And if the place is staffed, tell someone. Sometimes I'll buy tp for the general cause.

Is one for your backpack to identify you as a pilgrim? The second one for the Irache fountain? Possibly the third one used as a trowel if needed?🤔
Sorry, am a nerd. It's a reference to the film Demolition man with Sylvester Stallone. He is resuscitated in the future and when he goes to the loo there is no TP. Sandra Bullock laughs and says use the three shells. Never explained in the film what it means

Take their mums with them?

I don't remember ever in my adult life, using a loo without checking there is paper.. in my home, in a bar, in a public place.. anywhere! Why would you leave it til it's too late to check??
It seems indeed 'they live amongst us' :rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Carry a small packet of tissues, yes… and I am surprised in all the responses nobody suggested this solution: a peri bottle. Even one of those small soft silicone containers for toiletries will work and they weigh nothing. I started using a peri bottle during the TP pandemic shortage and still prefer this option. It’s much more hygienic than TP or a reusable cloth, and no worries about lack of TP in public restrooms. Try it, you might like it :)

True, it is. At home, it’s our own burden, and in an environmentally friendly society, there would be compost heaps to empty those bags into.

Back in the day, our parents and grandparents emptied the contents of diapers into the toilet before laundering the cloth. Now, people close up the disposable diapers and dump the whole contents into the garbage which goes to the landfill. Our municipal governments spend our money trucking that garbage far from urban settings. … I feel a political rant approaching so I will stop.

As wise pilgrims, visiting someone else’s home, we can pick a spot, dig a hole, and leave our poop to dessicate and fertilize the flora. Carry out the paper. I know, I’m dreaming.
I direct back to the numbers that were first posted. And, anyone, correct me on this, pathside pooping is frowned upon now on all Caminos. So, the bottom line is, if this is a national policy, that is what must be respected, no politics involved in following rules.

So, the bottom line is, if this is a national policy, that is what must be respected

The bottom line.. yes indeed! The problem with enforcement of course, is that this is a covert activity for the most part..

I do find it amusing though, when I hear someone mention that when walking the CF and finding a seemingly suitable, discreet place to relieve themselves behind a bush or pillar or pile of stones or whatever, that they were disgusted at being confronted with a half tonne of shit and paper. Didn't they think anyone else had the same idea and went there before them? Another good reason we leave our boots at the door..

The bottom line.. yes indeed! The problem with enforcement of course, is that this is a covert activity for the most part..

I do find it amusing though, when I hear someone mention that when walking the CF and finding a seemingly suitable, discreet place to relieve themselves behind a bush or pillar or pile of stones or whatever, that they were disgusted at being confronted with a half tonne of shit and paper. Didn't they think anyone else had the same idea and went there before them? Another good reason we leave our boots at the door..
but why leave the tp? it annoys me to no end, people leaving trash on the trails. You can do your business and then pick up the TP? Leave no traces!

So, the bottom line is, if this is a national policy, that is what must be respected, no politics involved in following rules.
I must have missed the post that said carrying out poop was a national policy. I didn’t see that on this thread, and I’d love to read the transcript of that government debate. Beyond a public decency law of some sort, I doubt there’s an actual rule.

Path-side pooping is frowned upon everywhere, and pilgrims should not poop beside the path either. I am a card-carrying, rule-following Canadian, but I have also lived downwind of a municipal landfill, know garbage workers and feel strongly about this issue (therefore just itching to rant).

Walk far off the path (heaven forbid someone walking a hundred km++ should walk an extra 100 feet), dig a hole, bury the poop, carry the tp out and dispose of that.

An important question here: Can one purchase Charmin Ultra-Strong in Spain?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Why is it important, and what is Charmin Ultra-Strong?

Can one imagine how much toilet paper is 'stolen' in the bars and cafés? I bet shrinkage costs a fortune. Just a thought.
Best carry your own and ensure the avoidance of that sinking feeling.
I have heard a sore cafe owner cursing hard after he inspected the toilet.
A fellow pilgrim translated his grievances to me:
"Not again, there were 2 new rolls in there an hour ago !!"
A shameful fact that falls back on all of us !!

OP, I hesitated before reading this. One of the first things on my list of items to carry on my first camino was toilet paper. I have not read the thread. I will not be reading it either. 😈

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I must have missed the post that said carrying out poop was a national policy. I didn’t see that on this thread, and I’d love to read the transcript of that government debate. Beyond a public decency law of some sort, I doubt there’s an actual rule.

Path-side pooping is frowned upon everywhere, and pilgrims should not poop beside the path either. I am a card-carrying, rule-following Canadian, but I have also lived downwind of a municipal landfill, know garbage workers and feel strongly about this issue (therefore just itching to rant).

Walk far off the path (heaven forbid someone walking a hundred km++ should walk an extra 100 feet), dig a hole, bury the poop, carry the tp out and dispose of that.
Do not take my word for it. Even if I quoted and provided links, they would be questioned. You are your best researcher.

Even think of asking at the Pilgrims's Office?

Do not take my word for it. Even if I quoted and provided links, they would be questioned. You are your best researcher.

Even think of asking at the Pilgrims's Office?
That would be a fun conversation.

When I googled, just for fun, ‘Spain national policy on poop’ it popped up a variety of things irrelevant to the conversation, but high on the list was a wikipedia description of ‘Tió de Nadal’, a Catalan Christmas tradition of looking after a log so that it will defecate presents, and comes with a song:

Shit, tió,
hazelnuts and nougats,
do not shit herrings,
they are too salty,
shit nougats
they taste better.
Shit, tió,
almonds and nougats,
and if you don't want to shit
I will hit you with a stick!
Shit, tió!

——
Buen camino!

That would be a fun conversation.

When I googled, just for fun, ‘Spain national policy on poop’ it popped up a variety of things irrelevant to the conversation, but high on the list was a wikipedia description of ‘Tió de Nadal’, a Catalan Christmas tradition of looking after a log so that it will defecate presents, and comes with a song:

Shit, tió,
hazelnuts and nougats,
do not shit herrings,
they are too salty,
shit nougats
they taste better.
Shit, tió,
almonds and nougats,
and if you don't want to shit
I will hit you with a stick!
Shit, tió!

——
Buen camino!
🙃😄 😂 Not quite sure how to respond to that!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Possibly if you really are serious about this you could Google faeces, sanitation, toilet facilities, stool, or other appropriate words. Poop is unlikely to appear in any actual study. It's a nursery word.

Why is it important, and what is Charmin Ultra-Strong?
Charmin Ultra-Strong is some of the best toilet paper in the world. Rather than requiring 4 to 8 squares to do the job, it does it well with only 2 or 3 squares. We buy it at Costco in 24-packs

Yes, poop is a nursery word. Any serious documentation on Spain’s faecal policy would be in Castilian.

When I googled using English adult words, I got a bunch of stuff about doggy poop. Spain is using dna to track the owners of dogs who don’t scoop the poop and they are experimenting with pig poop to fuel vehicles. The Netherlands has a poop bank for stool implants. The Christmas story was more interesting.

And now we’ve flogged this topic to death.

I don’t have a Costco membership, so I buy whichever kind happens to be on sale. Sometimes, I’m pleasantly surprised, sometimes I’m not.

Now we‘re at 98 🙃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.