• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tour guide or on your own?

Eliza McAlpine

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk my camino August 2017
Hi there,

I am planning on doing my first Camino with my sister next August (2017). I am just starting my research etc, and was wondering if people could recommend if the tours were worth it or not? I have found a couple and they all seem to be fairly expensive £2500 each. Is this what people roughly spend when they do it individually anyway or not? If the tours are recommended, do anyone know any that are cheaper? Is there a service that just takes your bags but you organise the hostels yourself?

Thanks so much for your help!
Eliza

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum.
The vast majority of pilgrims simply do it on their own.
There is no reason to use a tour guide. The cost will be a fraction of a tour.

In many ways it will restrict your experience as you must follow their agenda.
Everything is straight forward once you reach your starting point. You simply start walking following the yellow arrows and the other pilgrims.

Some do find it more comfortable to use a travel agent to book flights if they are not familiar with airline booking. It is not needed by most.

Read this forum and most of your questions will be answered.
Ask those questions you don't see answered.

I am planning on doing my first Camino with my sister next August (2017). I am just starting my research etc, and was wondering if people could recommend if the tours were worth it or not? I have found a couple and they all seem to be fairly expensive £2500 each. Is this what people roughly spend when they do it individually anyway or not? If the tours are recommended, do anyone know any that are cheaper? Is there a service that just takes your bags but you organise the hostels yourself?
Most of us know how easy it is to walk without the services of a tour company, and would never consider using one. However, if you crave the very high level of certainty and support you will get, it might be an option to consider.

Without knowing how many days are being paid for, it is really not possible to tell exactly how these prices compare, other than to suggest that this might be double or more than what people are likely to pay if they walked without the support of a tour company.

And finally, pack transport is readily available on the main camino routes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you do it on your own, with basic accomodations and meals, as most people do (we pilgrims are notoriusly stingy), it will cost you around 30 euros as per day (there are reports of people doing it with even less...)
With private albergues (still communal, but more comfortable) and carrying backpack services, add 10 or 15 euros. With more than 50, you will walk as a king. Just add costs and compare.
The are lots of info about how to get lodgement and other services in this forum, even if you are not a Spanish speaker. Use the "search" function.
Tour companies have also been discussed here, with some members recommending specific companies.
Buen camino!

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your help!
Eliza
Hi Eliza, last year my Camino Frances from SJPDP cost me about €1400,00.
That's a lot cheeper than a guided tour.
I would say do it on your own.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A lot depends on what you want, if you're after the knowledge that all will be taken care of for you, then a tour company is an option. On the other hand if you want to feel free and let every day unfold into lots of surprises, then do it without a tour.
You will never be alone on the camino, especially the CF, you may walk every day alone as I did, but there is always pilgrims in front or behind willing to help.
I spent 6 weeks doing the CF last year, being joined in Sarria for the last week by my wife, and during that whole 6 weeks I never wanted for anything. I didn't have a budget because I was new to the journey and didn't know what to expect. My total spend was 2000 euros. Not bad for a journey of a lifetime.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unless you have major health or other limitations there is no reason at all to pay a tour company. Get a guide book and walk your own Camino. Buen Camino, SY

Welcome to the forum.
The vast majority of pilgrims simply do it on their own.
There is no reason to use a tour guide. The cost will be a fraction of a tour.

In many ways it will restrict your experience as you must follow their agenda.
Everything is straight forward once you reach your starting point. You simply start walking following the yellow arrows and the other pilgrims.

Some do find it more comfortable to use a travel agent to book flights if they are not familiar with airline booking. It is not needed by most.

Read this forum and most of your questions will be answered.
Ask those questions you don't see answered.

Thank you so much!!!

If you do it on your own, with basic accomodations and meals, as most people do (we pilgrims are notoriusly stingy), it will cost you around 30 euros as per day (there are reports of people doing it with even less...)
With private albergues (still communal, but more comfortable) and carrying backpack services, add 10 or 15 euros. With more than 50, you will walk as a king. Just add costs and compare.
The are lots of info about how to get lodgement and other services in this forum, even if you are not a Spanish speaker. Use the "search" function.
Tour companies have also been discussed here, with some members recommending specific companies.
Buen camino!

Thank you so much to everyone - really really helpful!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For a couple my wife and I budget 100 euros a day and do not use a tour company. This gets us a private room and three meals a day including wine. There is no where else in Europe or the West that you will get such a good deal, plus the holiday of a lifetime. Just go and do it, you will be back for more.

For a couple my wife and I budget 100 euros a day and do not use a tour company. This gets us a private room and three meals a day including wine. There is no where else in Europe or the West that you will get such a good deal, plus the holiday of a lifetime. Just go and do it, you will be back for more.
As SY stated it's not just a holiday it's hard work. And it is as we say not a walk in the park.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€149,-
Hm, the Camino isn't actually a holiday, holidays in my books don't include hurting feet, blisters, carrying backpacks, heat exhaustion ... For cheap holidays I would go elsewhere ... Buen Camino, SY

It's all relative-- my holiday definition includes hurting feet, packpacks, exhaustion.

OK. Holiday was a poor choice of words. But if it so hard and difficult why are you all going back for several Camino's?

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.