• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Question

intrepidtraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Madrid, Frances and Finisterre (2015)
Camino Norte-2017; Camino Ingles from A Coruna - 2017
Hi Everyone -

So I am hoping that there are some tech saavy people out there who can help me with my question...

I am flying out of Santiago first thing Monday morning on Ryanair. Today I got an email from them about checking in online so as to avoid paying them 50E (please!) if I check in at the airport. Part of the process involves printing out my boarding pass. The only tech device that I have with me is a smartphone. How do I go about getting the downloaded boarding pass into printed form? If you're into technology this is probably an unbelievably dumb question, but oh well.

Muchas gracias to anyone who can explain the procedure in VERY basic terms.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Everyone -

So I am hoping that there are some tech saavy people out there who can help me with my question...

I am flying out of Santiago first thing Monday morning on Ryanair. Today I got an email from them about checking in online so as to avoid paying them 50E (please!) if I check in at the airport. Part of the process involves printing out my boarding pass. The only tech device that I have with me is a smartphone. How do I go about getting the downloaded boarding pass into printed form? If you're into technology this is probably an unbelievably dumb question, but oh well.

Your phone's digital image of your boarding pass needs to be printed as a paper copy.

When you are in SdC go to the Pilgrim House at 19 rua Nova. Their helpful staff can help you print a paper copy of your boarding pass. Also plan to chat a bit over a coffee. See more about their many activities here in their web.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ryanair have an app for smartphones which allows you to check-in and download a virtual boarding pass which is stored on the phone. You can then show the downloaded pass on your phone at security and the boarding gate. There are a few airports where this is not accepted but is possible in Santiago. No need for a printed version though I do like to have one when possible.
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Mobile-boarding-passes#0-10

Thank you all so much. It looks like I will probably have to use @Bradypus's method. I am currently walking the Camino Ingles and I noticed that Pilgrim House is not open on Sunday which is when I will be back in Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all so much. It looks like I will probably have to use @Bradypus's method. I am currently walking the Camino Ingles and I noticed that Pilgrim House is not open on Sunday which is when I will be back in Santiago.

Just looked again at the Ryanair website. Seems that mobile boarding passes are only available for EU/EEA citizens. I'm a Brit so it worked for me before but probably best for @intrepidtraveler to find somewhere to print out her boarding pass after all :-(

Where are you staying in Santiago @intrepidtraveler ? I don't have a printer (yet), so I can't help you, but I would suggest that you try if the place you stay at has one. Or ask kindly at the hotel San Martin Pineiro, they have 24/7 hour reception and a printer and speak English. They might charge you a small fee.

In general it works like this:

Forward the email you got (with the boarding pass attached) to the person that has access to a printer.
They print out the attachment and you are good to go/fly.

Buen Camino, SY

Just looked again at the Ryanair website. Seems that mobile boarding passes are only available for EU/EEA citizens. I'm a Brit so it worked for me before but probably best for @intrepidtraveler to find somewhere to print out her boarding pass after all :-(
I just noticed this as well. Since I am USA and not EU I will next try SYates suggestion.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Where are you staying in Santiago @intrepidtraveler ? I don't have a printer (yet), so I can't help you, but I would suggest that you try if the place you stay at has one. Or ask kindly at the hotel San Martin Pineiro, they have 24/7 hour reception and a printer and speak English. They might charge you a small fee.

In general it works like this:

Forward the email you got (with the boarding pass attached) to the person that has access to a printer.
They print out the attachment and you are good to go/fly.

Buen Camino, SY
Thank you - this sounds straightforward enough.

On Plaza de Praterias, there is some sort of Galician promotional,office where you can also print your boarding pass for a € or so.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Yes, we're always closed on Sundays. Sorry we'll miss you this time! Hope it works out just fine for you when you get in tomorrow. Buen Camino.

Just looked again at the Ryanair website. Seems that mobile boarding passes are only available for EU/EEA citizens.

Did not know that! Will share this info with pilgrims traveling Ryanair and hoping to use the app.

Thank you, Anemone - I like having a plan B in case plan A doesn't work for some reason.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Parador in Santiago will print for you also. Don't be intimidated by the fact it's THE PARADOR. Their remit ultimately is to support pilgrims. Like above, make sure to have the PDF ready to email to them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last time I flew with Vueling airlines got the boarding carts by mail .
No printing just show the mail with the boarding cart.
Wish you well,Peter.

Crazy that they still require you to print!

Oh, they'll (Ryanair ) print it for me if I pay them 50E!

This is my first time flying Ryanair and to me they seem to take the nickel-and-dime you approach to a whole new level. Vamos a ver....

Anyway, mission accomplished. Per SYates suggestion I went to San Martin Pineiro where they have a pay-as-you-go computer station set up complete with printer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You have identified the root of the issue. The fee for printing boarding passes has everything to do with generating revenue, and nothing else.

The more work the airline, any airline, can push down to the traveler, the more money, and profits they can realize. This is NOT limited to Ryanair.

As is usually the case, only the non-tech savvy. and folks who do not read the fine print are penalized. Y'all gotta pay attention.

As is usually the case, only the non-tech savvy. and folks who do not read the fine print are penalized. Y'all gotta pay attention.
I am all for making those who don't bother with the fineprint pay more so others can fly for little next to nothing, but one has to admit that depending on the type of travel one is doing, access to a printer before getting to the airport, after you are emailed your boarding pass, can be a challenge. Perhaps airports could have printing stations. But airlines would not be happy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I disagree with ALL supplemental airline service fees...PERIOD! I too, pay for seat assignments, early boarding, and on some bargain airlines I have paid to carry-on luggage, not just a bag checking fee. But, as others have suggested there are several ways to print your boarding pass before you arrive at the airport.

In my experience, the easiest is to try to do it at the hotel you stay in at Santiago. Failing that, then the Hotel Parador, San Martin Pinario, or Pilgrim House on Rua Nova are the short list of easy-peasy places to obtain access to a printer.

If you are tech-savvy, you will know how to get this done.

It's true you can use an image in your phone for travelers with an EU passport, but for Americans, Canadians, and most others we need a paper boarding pass.

Go to the Pilgrim House and print it out.

Ryanair have an app for smartphones which allows you to check-in and download a virtual boarding pass which is stored on the phone. You can then show the downloaded pass on your phone at security and the boarding gate. There are a few airports where this is not accepted but is possible in Santiago. No need for a printed version though I do like to have one when possible.
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Mobile-boarding-passes#0-10

Hi Everyone -

There are a number of albergues along the way with printing facilities. In the past, I used an internet cafe in Santiago and an albergue in Melide. An albergue in Triacastela had facilities to book a flight but did not have Adobe Reader installed which was needed for the pop up screen to display and print the pass. I have also heard that you can get a print out in the Parador but dont know if thats true

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can print at the Parador. Go beyond the front desk, down the corridor past the shops, until you come to the lounge. There's a computer with a printer you can use free of charge. Of course, it's for registered guests, but if you look like you belong you can likely use it for printing a boarding pass and for a few minutes.

Now let's not all run to the Parador to print boarding passes and use the computer or the staff will lock it down and this privilege will disappear due to abuse.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.