• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

US/EU Outlet Adapter with USB Ports - Any Experience Using?

Maurice Frank

Camino for Community
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Sept-Oct 2023, Portuguese July-Aug 2024
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience using one of these outlet adapters with multiple USB ports? Amazon (US) has several of these from manufacturers I never heard of. All have similar descriptions and prices (about $20 US). They have outlet prongs for both US and EU which means I can test it at home with my electronics that need charging (iPhone, iWatch, hearing aids, power bank). This particular product weighs 4.0 ounces according to the Amazon specs. Others weigh slightly more, 5 or 6 ounces.

I reviewed this thread but none of the suggestions look like this product:

Thanks for your advice,

Maurice
Walking the Camino Frances Sept-Oct 2023

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All that you really need is a simple plug adapter (much lighter weight!) for your chargers. Modern electronics chargers are made to work with all voltages. I do recommend that you tape it to your charger so that you don't leave it behind in an outlet.

Screenshot 2023-04-09 175746.png

All that you really need is a simple plug adapter (much lighter weight!) for your chargers. Modern electronics chargers are made to work with all voltages. I do recommend that you tape it to your charger so that you don't leave it behind in an outlet.

View attachment 144535
@trecile I think the adapter I'm considering does the charging, so I only need to bring the cable for each device, not the charger too. This will reduce weight and volume.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I recommend the the adapter (and tape) that @trecile posted about in #2. You likely already have a charger that you like at home. Bring it and the small cheap lightweight adapter. If you lose either piece on your trip go buy a #4 (but not from a China shop).

@Rick of Rick and Peg - then won't I need multiple adapters and access to multiple outlets? I need to charge a phone, watch and hearing aids. If I charge one after another I have to stay with them. Thanks for your help.

@Rick of Rick and Peg - then won't I need multiple adapters and access to multiple outlets? I need to charge a phone, watch and hearing aids. If I charge one after another I have to stay with them. Thanks for your help.

IMO you should always stay with your devices when you are charging them. Not that someone can do something with your personal hearing aids but it would be extremely inconvenient if someone misplaces or steals them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I carry a CPAP, so I need a 'standard' electrical outlet and something that will charge my phone, fitness tracker and camera batteries. So a travel adapter like this is ideal for me. The one you have shown seems a little 'underpowered' with a maximum current delivery across the four ports of just 3.6 A. The one I am currently using delivers a maximum current of 6.3 A, but doesn't have a USB-C port. This can support some fast charging if only a couple of the ports are active. Otherwise, things just take longer to charge.

Carry a USB power pack, charge that from the wall. There is no real issue if it goes missing, just buy another. Then recharge your valuable and important devices from your power pack as you walk. Many power packs will allow more than one device to be charged at the same time.

Works for me.

I carry a CPAP, so I need a 'standard' electrical outlet and something that will charge my phone, fitness tracker and camera batteries. So a travel adapter like this is ideal for me. The one you have shown seems a little 'underpowered' with a maximum current delivery across the four ports of just 3.6 A. The one I am currently using delivers a maximum current of 6.3 A, but doesn't have a USB-C port. This can support some fast charging if only a couple of the ports are active. Otherwise, things just take longer to charge.
@dougfitz, thank you for your very helpful reply, especially about the low power output. I will check that on others like this

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience using one of these outlet adapters with multiple USB ports? Amazon (US) has several of these from manufacturers I never heard of. All have similar descriptions and prices (about $20 US). They have outlet prongs for both US and EU which means I can test it at home with my electronics that need charging (iPhone, iWatch, hearing aids, power bank). This particular product weighs 4.0 ounces according to the Amazon specs. Others weigh slightly more, 5 or 6 ounces.

Thanks for your advice,

Maurice
Hi Maurice:

Since you need to charge several items, I know the feeling, maybe this is better you. At least has four ports for device charging. If you are visiting just Spain, use the two prongs adapter, it lock into the charger and don’t have to worry to tape it to the charger as @trecile mentioned; but, if you plan to visit UK, then you can carry that adapter and just replace the European one.

I found my at Walmart in the luggage department.

1681136037491.jpeg1681136037491.jpeg
Hope this helps.

Buen Camino,

Iván

I’ve used one very similar to the one you posted (manufactured by Tessan) it works just fine in my hostels so far on the way to SJPdP, I can charge multiple things with it. A EU native charger would probably be lighter but this to me is more convenient as I’ll also be going to the UK.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Carry a USB power pack, charge that from the wall. There is no real issue if it goes missing, just buy another. Then recharge your valuable and important devices from your power pack as you walk. Many power packs will allow more than one device to be charged at the same time.

Works for me.
@DoughnutANZ that's good advice. I also plan to bring a power pack. My preference would be to not have to charge while walking so I can focus on being present where I am. I would use the power pack when sitting for lunch.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yeah, I see the problem. Others have given you some tips on multiple output ports on chargers and power ports. Besides charging from power ports when walking you can do it when you're sleeping too. You may have the phone in bed with you anyway.

@DoughnutANZ that's good advice. I also plan to bring a power pack. My preference would be to not have to charge while walking so I can focus on being present where I am. I would use the power pack when sitting for lunch.
Charging with a power bank is a pretty passive activity. Whatever you are charging could be in your backpack or a pocket.

@uncletim Looks good if I only need USB-C but I also need USB-A, the older style.
The same company has a charger with both USB A and USB C outlets.

Screenshot_20230410_101434_Firefox.jpg

Hi Maurice:

Since you need to charge several items, I know the feeling, maybe this is better you. At least has four ports for device charging. If you are visiting just Spain, use the two prongs adapter, it lock into the charger and don’t have to worry to tape it to the charger as @trecile mentioned; but, if you plan to visit UK, then you can carry that adapter and just replace the European one.

View attachment 144557View attachment 144557
Hope this helps.

Buen Camino,

Iván
Love this. Looks smaller that the one I bought on Amazon and I like the flexibility of using it in different countries/areas.

One quick comment, I’m a newbie (starting my first Camino from SJPDP in May) but one comment/suggestion I have regularly heard is get an adaptor that allows other pilgrims to use the same power source since there can me limited outlets available.

One quick comment, I’m a newbie (starting my first Camino from SJPDP in May) but one comment/suggestion I have regularly heard is get an adaptor that allows other pilgrims to use the same power source since there can me limited outlets available.
Hi JohnRRogers:

When you get to Spain, go to a China store, electrodomestic, or a hardware store and ask for “a ladrón”. Literally translated: a thief. 😁🤪. This devise will occupy an electric outlet while giving you additional outlets for you to plug or allow others use the same electrical outlet without you monopolizing the outlet.

The attached photo shows you an example I got. It provides one outlet while it is using the outlet, this way two people share one outlet.

Hope this helps.

ED6774A8-2AA2-48AC-A8FD-A0B2D3B47A35.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello,

Thanks for your advice,

Maurice
I carried something like this last Fall on the Camino Francés. Smaller, two USB-A ports and one USB-C. Charged my phone, external battery and hearing aids off a single adapter.

Worked great.

Jim

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Many albergues have only a few outlets that must be shared. If you have an adapter with multiple USB or USB-c ports then you can either share or if all the outlets are used by single users, ask if they can share your adapter. Don’t expect to have an outlet for your phone, iPad, watch, earbuds…… it’s actually not good Camino etiquette to hog the outlets. Just think if you are in a room with only 5 bunks that 10 people, if everyone has 3 devices to charge that 30 items in one room.Honestly, I have finally decided to leave the Apple Watch at home. It’s not connected to service in Spain and it requires another cord and an outlet to charge. I have my phone with me at all times so it tracks my km’s if I care.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi JohnRRogers:

When you get to Spain, go to a China store, electrodomestic, or a hardware store and ask for “a ladrón”. Literally translated: a thief. 😁🤪. This devise will occupy an electric outlet while giving you additional outlets for you to plug or allow others use the same electrical outlet without you monopolizing the outlet.

The attached photo shows you an example I got. It provides one outlet while it is using the outlet, this way two people share one outlet.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 144578
Thank you! Will do.

I have used all sorts of adapters and most are usually great. Only downside one that does multiple country attachments that are all "built in" is that they are usually more heavy. If you can get one that is EU specific with several USB ports - it is most likely going to be lighter and more compact. The type you showed - I do own a couple - but I save them for trips when I will be going to multiple countries with different types of outlets. France/Spain use the same EU adapter.

I need the UK and EU adapters for this summer - so I am taking one with removable UK and EU only adapters and leaving all the other attachments at home. I used the same one last year and only brought the EU adapter attachment.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Maurice, we have used this exact adapter for many european/spanish trips. It is extremely light,, relatively compact and charges quickly. We charged both a phone and iPad on it. We love it!
@ebrandt Thank you! that is exactly the kind of feedback I was asking for. Many other replies have also been very helpful.

I have used all sorts of adapters and most are usually great. Only downside one that does multiple country attachments that are all "built in" is that they are usually more heavy. If you can get one that is EU specific with several USB ports - it is most likely going to be lighter and more compact. The type you showed - I do own a couple - but I save them for trips when I will be going to multiple countries with different types of outlets. France/Spain use the same EU adapter.

I need the UK and EU adapters for this summer - so I am taking one with removable UK and EU only adapters and leaving all the other attachments at home. I used the same one last year and only brought the EU adapter attachment.
@jeanineonthecamino Right, I understand the unused prongs are useless weight. I do hope to visit the UK again, so I can use one like this without buying another. But removable prongs reduce weight. Can you suggest one based on your experiences? Many thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did this for exactly that reason. I didn't want to hog one of the few outlets in the room.

I also "decorated" it with colored magic markers so there was no question whether it belonged to someone and to whom, and to lessen the chances of my leaving it behind.

You can probably use something like this that weighs a lot less.

View attachment 144536
I got two of the slightly higher power Anker chargers than the one shown here. They have an USB-A and and USB-C outlet and still weight only little.
Why go for more power? Faster charging and the possibility to charge two devices simultaneously.

I would not got for a clumsy international charger ... had that in the past. Too big, too flimsy in the connectors and often from companies whose expertise lies maybe on design, but not on the core functionalities of a charger.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I got two of the slightly higher power Anker chargers than the one shown here.
Unfortunately, I can't find how to buy that type of Anker charger with European plugs in the US. I would prefer to purchase something from a well known brand like Anker.

I did find this from Anker on Amazon (US site) I would have to also bring my USB C charger and plug it into the US outlet.

Screenshot 2023-04-11 083733.png

Unfortunately, I can't find how to buy that type of Anker charger with European plugs in the US. I would prefer to purchase something from a well known brand like Anker.

I did find this from Anker on Amazon (US site) I would have to also bring my USB C charger and plug it into the US outlet.

View attachment 144601
I got the Anker 323 with 33 W.
Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-11 um 17.46.32.png
And the Anker 511 (Nano) 20W.
Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-11 um 17.46.26.png
Extremely happy with both of them. But I have no idea how to buy them overseas.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
See now, I would have thought if you are focusing on being present where you are while walking, that likely means you aren't using your electronics, so might as well be charging them. :)

View attachment 144601
Can you not buy from Amazon France or Spain and either get it shipped to you (expensive), sent to your hotel at the start of the camino (if you have one booked) or to a relay point near one of the places you will be stopping at (though the only hold them for about 14 days I think)? I regularly buy from Amazon in other countries without any problem (though sometimes you hit a customs delay).

This is a link for a similar Anker charger at Amazon France: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0BGK6YBD3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The advantage of bringing a North American charger with the adapter taped to it, is that you have both capabilities. If your trip is interrupted at a stopover en route, still in North America, you can still charge your phone.

This provides a link to an in-depth quality review of the Ikea SMÅHAGEL USB power adapter.

The fellow who made the video is, I believe, a UK journeyman electrician with many years of industrial experience. He does technical tear-downs and quality evaluations of electrical/electronic devices, and offers his conclusions complete with reasons supported by photographic evidence and/or methodical circuit behaviour analysis.

The video is long but the summary and conclusion starts at timestamp 23:23.

Obviously the plug on the unit he examined is only intended for the UK market. In North America Ikea sells the same model with a North American plug. You can check on-line to see if Ikea stores in Europe sell the same model with the European plug.

BTW note the economical price! I do not have one of these yet, but plan to buy one or two soon.

This provides a link to an in-depth quality review of the Ikea SMÅHAGEL USB power adapter.

The fellow who made the video is, I believe, a UK journeyman electrician with many years of industrial experience. He does technical tear-downs and quality evaluations of electrical/electronic devices, and offers his conclusions complete with reasons supported by photographic evidence and/or methodical circuit behaviour analysis.

The video is long but the summary and conclusion starts at timestamp 23:23.

Obviously the plug on the unit he examined is only intended for the UK market. In North America Ikea sells the same model with a North American plug. You can check on-line to see if Ikea stores in Europe sell the same model with the European plug.

BTW note the economical price! I do not have one of these yet, but plan to buy one or two soon.
A good video! Except for the pronunciation of småhagel 😉

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Maurice:

View attachment 144557View attachment 144557
Hope this helps.

Buen Camino,

Iván
This is similar to the ones that my husband and I carried. You can leave the adapters you don't need at home.

This is the one we carried: MINIX NEO P3 100W Turbo 4-Ports GaN Wall Charger, 3 x USB-C Port Fast Charging Adapter from Amazon. No issues whatsoever. Someone carrying fewer devices can probably get away with a smaller version. We charged when we arrived at our alberque or hotel for the night, switching off for showers.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-charger-with-dual-output.77067/#post-1072320
1681773053866.jpeg
There are two rows of text above and below the USB ports.
The lower text says "each USB 2.4 amps max"
The upper text says "Smart 3.4 amps total"

Most devices in regular use now consume more than 1 amp each.
My camera takes 1.5 amps.
My tablet takes 3 amps.
The device in your link will not satisfactorily recharge those two devices at the same time.
If a power bank is also connected the recharge time will be extended, considerably.

I have learnt to look for the output Watts value for rechargers.
(Watts, so my science teacher said is volts times amps)
Keeping it simple (for the moment) and assuming each device recharges at 5 V:
camera = 7.5 wats
tablet = 15 watts.
total = 22.5 watts
(happenstance 1 - my power bank has an output of 22.5 watts)
(happenstance 2 - my wall charger has an output of 36 watts, so covers power bank as well)

@Arctic_Alex (#41 above) get it when he talks about a charger delivering 33 watts.

In my experience, buying both locally and from overseas online the key phrases to look for in the specification include:
PD - power delivery - typically with type C usb connectors
QC - fast charging - typically with type A usb connectors
total watts - see above

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui katoa tatou (you all take care and be strong, confident and patient)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.