• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Visa check on Ryanair - don't get caught without it

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I have removed this post because it was unclear what I was saying apparently.

Here is the message.

Please be sure to have your visa stamped BEFORE you attempt to board Ryanair even if nobody at the check-in counter instructs you to do so.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
British Airways also do this for all long haul flights and some others:

"Passport and visa check at Terminal 5
If you’re flying longhaul or taking a shorthaul flight to Moscow, St Petersburg, Tripoli or Kiev and you’ve checked in online or at a check-in kiosk at the terminal, you will need to go to one of the passport and visa check desks before going to security."

It isn't so unusual and I can't see where the "scam" is. But non-EU citizens using Ryanair need to be aware of it - the need for the check is mentioned on the boarding card and also in their terms and conditions:

"6.4 All non-EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and Boarding Pass stamped at our Visa/Document Check Desk before going through airport security."

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's not just Ryanair but something that all international airlines do, and it's definitely not a scam. Airlines are responible for the validity of their passengers, and it's a requirements that all passports and visas be checked before passengers can board the aircraft.

If a passenger lands in a country without the correct visa, then they cannot cross the border of that country and the airline that flew them there is responsible for getting that passenger back to their home country. The airline can also be fined for allowing this person - who is essentially an illegal alien - to fly with them.

Trudy

I'm laughing out loud because my post was apparently whizzing over people's heads. Sometimes it is almost impossible to get your message across via Internet.

My point was not that asking a person to have their visa stamped was a scam. Anyone who travels knows this. :roll:

However, in many countries this is done at the same counter where you check in or you are directed to the proper counter.

My point was to remind people flying Ryanair that nobody at the checkout counter is going to tell you that you must go to an entirely different desk to have your visa stamped. And that if you do not do this you will be allowed to get into the boarding area but will not be allowed on the plane.

And if you miss your flight because you have been sent BACK to get the visa stamped you will not be given a new flight without buying another ticket.

So GET YOUR VISA STAMPED even if nobody tells you to.

I don't think any of the posters missed the point. The point is that the requirement is clearly marked on the Boarding Card and in the company's T&C's. If you read the extract from BA you will see that they also operate separate desks for visa checks.

Ryanair were among the first airlines to require passengers to produce proper photo ID for all flights including domestic flights. They announced this requirement loud and clear but still a lot of people were not allowed to fly because they did not bring the requisite ID - "another scam by Ryanair to make people buy replacement flights" was the cry. It was a cry which 9/11 silenced.

But glad you got a laugh at least Annie. :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wonder if Mercury is retrograde?

I'll try to be more clear.

Erase the word "scam" that the quoted poster used.

She felt it was a scam.

I never said i thought it was a scam

I just happened to come across the post while trying to figure out how to get my pacer poles aboard and found it of interest that she did not know to get her visa stamped at a separate counter

I thought it might help another traveler. But I see that my post continues to be misunderstood even though I've explained it three times

I can only assume I'm not doing a very good job of communicating today.
I apologize.
so once more...MY original point was:

In case you don't travel much and aren't aware of the rules;
In case you don't read Spanish
In case you are in a hurry and don't read the boarding card
In case you assume it was done at the check-in desk
In case (fill in the blank)...

Get your visa stamped at a special before boarding even if nobody tells you to or you will not be allowed to board your flight.

No. We do not. We only need a passport unless we are staying longer than 90 days.

But as Johnny posted, you apparently must get "your travel documents" stamped at another counter.

I'm going back to bed.
One more sleep until Barcelona

I'm going to have nightmares about getting my passport stamped! Lol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Annie, even though there seems to be some confusion here, I think maybe I have learned something here. Being Canadian, and only flown in Europe on a few flights, I was not aware of this. I have never flown Ryanair...have Easyjet, so could quite easily miss this step in the process. I am not sure yet how we are getting to Spain...waiting for sales for Aug....but flying into London and from there on either carrier is an option. Thank you for the heads up !

eurojet said:
U.S. citizens need a visa to travel to Spain??? Please explain Annie.
Yes, but for short stays, this can be issued at the first point of arrival into the Shengen zone if you qualify. You don't have to apply for a visa before departure, ie you only have to carry your passport. This applies to a number of other destinations. The arrangements vary depending upon you nationality - not all countries nationals have this privilege extended to them.

This goes to heart of the issue that Annie has raised - the rules about who can enter the country at a destination can be quite complex, and an airline having someone with all the necessary information available do the check in a single central location is a much better arrangement than having this check done at the gate.

I have had this check done by another airline. It was quite clearly stated on the boarding pass and at the check-in what was required. I had never imagined that anyone might ignore it, but if you now do, you will have even less excuse to blame the airline for any delays or disadvantage.

Regards

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Must Canadians, with Passports, now get visas to land in Paris, or to then walk over the mountain into Spain? As there are no customs agents along the Camino, how might Spain enforce a Visa rule?

I don`t recall Canadians requiring Visas to land in France. My dad didn`t need one, landing in Normandy in 1944.

JohnnieWalker said:
This whole issue is a red herring. NOTHING has changed in visa requirements!

Maybe but it's pretty scary when the lady has taken your bag to the plane, & then says go & get your passport checked to see about a visa(I'm a NZ passport holder), & your mind goes ten to the dozen..........;mind you coming back into England is more scary, I always get the third degree.........30yrs ago(when I was a full-time student) they used to look me up in a black folder..........this time they said if I stay out of the country more than 12months that's IT. I must look a dubious character. :roll:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, we as Canadians do not require a Visa, but you still have to have your Passport stamped... I believe this is the step that may be missed...am I correct ?

Mmc_56 said:
No, we as Canadians do not require a Visa, but you still have to have your Passport stamped... I believe this is the step that may be missed...am I correct ?
No, that isn't correct.

That stamp in your passport is your visa - issued on entry into the Shengen zone or in many other countries. Depending on what country, it will show both your date of entry and may show the number of days for which the visa is valid. It is not issued by the airline prior to departure, but by immigration on your arrival.

Not everyone is entitled to be issued a visa on arrival, ie they must apply for and be issued a visa that is entered into their passport prior to travel. If they arrive at a foreign destination, and are not permitted entry, the carrier is responsible to take that person to a place which will allow entry, normally back to where they departed.

To avoid that, some carriers conduct a check that the passenger either has a visa, or will be entitled to be issued a visa on arrival at the destination port. I think doing this at a central point rather than at the boarding gate makes sense.

When I first had to do this, the requirement was clearly stated on the check-in procedure guide issued with the ticket, and at the check-in counter. My recollection is that the last time I flew with Ryanair, this was clear when I printed the boarding pass as well.

As JohnnieWalker said, the visa requirements haven't changed, but the carriers (Ryanair in this case) want to make sure that they are not left with a passenger that cannot enter the country when they reach their destination. As Anniesantiago has pointed out, ignore this process step at your peril!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back