• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Boots or open sandals?

To walk the Camino what type of footwear do you prefer?

• Walking Boots

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • Walking Shoes

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Trainers

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Running shoes

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Sandals, or light footwear

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Open sandals

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptNoglos

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Seeing lots of comments in these forums about footwear, as well as in the number of books that I am reading. These vary from Open sandals, running shoes, trainers, walking shoes, and walking boots

So, what are the opinions and why?

My preferred choice is snugly fitting (not tight) good quality walking boots with gel insoles for hard wearing, robust structure, ankle protection. They also have to be well broken in before they are used every day. An important part is good quality pairs of walking socks to use and swap. This helps and prevents the formation of blisters.

Views anyone?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Snugly fitting boots/shoes are fine for day walks and even walking for longer periods in our (UK and Ireland) climate but I would recommend getting your boots at least a half size bigger to allow for your feet to expand, and expand they will with day after day walking in warmer temperatures. I would also recommend using the double sock method, thin inner liner socks like Coolmax and outer socks. I also use "Gloves in a Bottle" from Boots Chemists on my feet before I sock up. This will give your feet a nice silky, slippy finish and help prevent blisters.
Buen Camino on your upcoming Camino.

Lightweight walking boots. Mid Height. (Saloman GTX). They weigh 950 gms for the pair. I put custom insoles inside. And they are a full size larger than my normal shoes....

I find these give the support I need to my ankles. ( I would have twisted an ankle a couple of times without them).

They are very comfortable. Most comfortable footwear I own! My feet do get warm in them as they are Goretex, but I stop every couple of hours to air my feet anyway. (and swap socks if feet are damp) I wear a thin wicking liner sock with a thick wooolen outer sock. Lots of vaseline, sheeps wool on any hot spots etc.

Never got any blisters.... (nor has my wife, exact same footwear and regime)

I (we) carry Teva sandals for evening wear and backup walking footwear, but have never walked in them. Not sure I would feel safe hiking in them. Lack of support etc. But could if required...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you search through past threads for more info. There will be A LOT about footwear. It's one of the top 2 or 3 topics of debate here. Top 3 seem to be: footwear, walking poles, phone cameras. Re footwear, there are 2 sets of preferences: Structured boots or trainers. There are many other topics covered in this forum, of course, but the most contentious ones are those 3, it seems to me.

There was a very interesting discussion recently about blisters. That's a complex issue which it seems is not necessarily solved by choice of footwear.

The essential factor is: Everyone is different. Blisters: Skin layers can be prone to shearing in one person and not in another. Then moisture and friction become the major contributing but secondary factors. Footwear: some people want comfort and don't mind occasionally wet feet - go with trainers, they are more likely to get wet but dry quickly; boots are heavier, stiffer, more likely to be worn by people (like me) who try to keep their feet dry and need ankle support. I have no opinion about sandals.

I suggest that you train for as long as you've got before you leave. Long distance walking is an unusual experience for any body and the various stresses effect everyone differently. With luck, you will learn about any specific weaknesses before you're out there and don't want to quit.

A lot of people, but certainly not everyone, develop plantar fasciitis. The relatively sudden onslaught of a huge amount of exercise can bring on a bout of plantar fasciitis. It can be agonising. I suggest that you be wary of mainly the macho, older guy who's mantra is "Just go for it".

I don't know how far you're planning on walking, but I strongly suggest you don't dive into a very long walk as your first Camino. Try 200kms or 400kms, it's not a competition, enjoy yourself.

Walking poles take some weight and stress off muscles and joints (some say 10% or more!). I've only walked The Camino Frances but I can tell you that there are quite a few descents there which can be very strenuous due to very uneven surfaces, and which are dangerous when wet or muddy.

It's not true that modern boots need breaking in. An all-leather boot will, but almost all modern boots are made mostly of fabrics and synthetics which are pretty much ready to go. I have a good pair of Scarpas. They fit perfectly, I chose socks very carefully, I've never had blisters. But that's me. The climate while you walk will be a big factor - heat changes all variables. I walked in early spring, it was cool but manageable and I found it great weather for walking. Be ready for wet weather, water can run down your legs into even waterproof boots.

You're going to get a LOT of answers about this. This topic comes around often.

Good luck and Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you search through past threads for more info. There will be A LOT about footwear. It's one of the top 2 or 3 topics of debate here. Top 3 seem to be: footwear, walking poles, phone cameras. Re footwear, there are 2 sets of preferences: Structured boots or trainers. There are many other topics covered in this forum, of course, but the most contentious ones are those 3, it seems to me.

There was a very interesting discussion recently about blisters. That's a complex issue which it seems is not necessarily solved by choice of footwear.

The essential factor is: Everyone is different. Blisters: Skin layers can be prone to shearing in one person and not in another. Then moisture and friction become the major contributing but secondary factors. Footwear: some people want comfort and don't mind occasionally wet feet - go with trainers, they are more likely to get wet but dry quickly; boots are heavier, stiffer, more likely to be worn by people (like me) who try to keep their feet dry and need ankle support. I have no opinion about sandals.

I suggest that you train for as long as you've got before you leave. Long distance walking is an unusual experience for any body and the various stresses effect everyone differently. With luck, you will learn about any specific weaknesses before you're out there and don't want to quit.

A lot of people, but certainly not everyone, develop plantar fasciitis. The relatively sudden onslaught of a huge amount of exercise can bring on a bout of plantar fasciitis. It can be agonising. I suggest that you be wary of mainly the macho, older guy who's mantra is "Just go for it".

I don't know how far you're planning on walking, but I strongly suggest you don't dive into a very long walk as your first Camino. Try 200kms or 400kms, it's not a competition, enjoy yourself.

Walking poles take some weight and stress off muscles and joints (some say 10% or more!). I've only walked The Camino Frances but I can tell you that there are quite a few descents there which can be very strenuous due to very uneven surfaces, and which are dangerous when wet or muddy.

It's not true that modern boots need breaking in. An all-leather boot will, but almost all modern boots are made mostly of fabrics and synthetics which are pretty much ready to go. I have a good pair of Scarpas. They fit perfectly, I chose socks very carefully, I've never had blisters. But that's me. The climate while you walk will be a big factor - heat changes all variables. I walked in early spring, it was cool but manageable and I found it great weather for walking. By ready for wet weather, water can run down your legs into even waterproof boots.

You're going to get a LOT of answers about this. This topic comes around often.

Good luck and Buen Camino, - Mike
That's really helpful Mike thank you. It's our first Camino, StJPdP to CdS, and we have the time to do it, which was not the case in the past. We are also planning to be leisurely in daily expectations. We have also done several LD walks in the UK, including across the Lake District where poles were crucial in our view, so agree totally with you on that one. We are going late April, so the next few months are a continuation of the training months, with a careful eye on trying to avoid injury ( however no-one looks for injury). With so many comments here and elsewhere on footwear I decided a focused question would be a good one to ask. No doubt someone will cross reference to other replies, that's OK.

Lightweight walking boots. Mid Height. (Saloman GTX). They weigh 950 gms for the pair. I put custom insoles inside. And they are a full size larger than my normal shoes....

I find these give the support I need to my ankles. ( I would have twisted an ankle a couple of times without them).

They are very comfortable. Most comfortable footwear I own! My feet do get warm in them as they are Goretex, but I stop every couple of hours to air my feet anyway. (and swap socks if feet are damp) I wear a thin wicking liner sock with a thick wooolen outer sock. Lots of vaseline, sheeps wool on any hot spots etc.

Never got any blisters.... (nor has my wife, exact same footwear and regime)

I (we) carry Teva sandals for evening wear and backup walking footwear, but have never walked in them. Not sure I would feel safe hiking in them. Lack of support etc. But could if required...
Thanks Robo, really helpful. I'm equally not convinced about sandals.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know people who prefer to walk with sandals. I started with boots then progress to lightweight trail runner.

Since one normally carried sandals for evening, suggest you do the same. You can test it out on the Camino to see which you prefer.

Thanks Robo, really helpful. I'm equally not convinced about sandals.

As Mike said above, this is debated frequently and there are many different (strongly held) opinions. Do lots of reading, and trial what you think feels right for you :)

I also agree 100% with Mike on:

'breaking in' modern boots. Mine were ready to go out of the box. But this may be dependant on the type of boot, and the type of foot! Mine felt like bedroom slippers in the shop.... and still do.

As for walking poles? I didn't take one single step without them. Up, down, or level. I wouldn't have made it without them (long story). Just learn to use them properly. But of course opinions on poles vary considerably too ;)

Starting to get the idea yet? Read lots. Weigh the advice and tips from others. Try stuff out. And do what suits you :)

I know people who prefer to walk with sandals. I started with boots then progress to lightweight trail runner.

I wonder if body weight, pack weight, age and fitness is a factor?

Perhaps those who prefer to walk in sandals are younger, fitter and lighter?

I just wouldn't be able to. My ankles and feet need the support. But good that some can....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's really helpful Mike thank you. It's our first Camino, StJPdP to CdS, and we have the time to do it, which was not the case in the past. We are also planning to be leisurely in daily expectations. We have also done several LD walks in the UK, including across the Lake District where poles were crucial in our view, so agree totally with you on that one. We are going late April, so the next few months are a continuation of the training months, with a careful eye on trying to avoid injury ( however no-one looks for injury). With so many comments here and elsewhere on footwear I decided a focused question would be a good one to ask. No doubt someone will cross reference to other replies, that's OK.
A few little things I will do differently next time:

I'll take more days off, especially during a very long walk. I'll get a few massages - maybe once a week. I intended to get regular massages but regretted getting kind of high on the experience and striding on. When I got back I told my doctor that my calves got very stiff and sore, were very tight after 6 weeks, were OK in the morning and tightened up every day. She said "Magnesium!" One can develop a bit of a magnesium deficiency while distance walking, causes muscle soreness. I suggest you think about a good supplement which contains iron and magnesium.

I walked in shoes (merrill) and they were fine, I did experience one or two small blisters, this was due to not going an extra size up on the walking shoe. I did have a pair of Teva Lite candles with me for the evenings and I'm glad I did because i wore these for a few days while the blisters were drying out. So I will be taking candles on my next camino.
Here's something I've been thinking of lately, I'll be walking middle of March on my next camino and I'm unsure whether it'll be boots or shoes I'm taking. During the winter I wear boots because of the mud, with shoes reserved for the summer.

I do agree with you that socks are as important as footwear, there are so many choices out there, for example I wear different type of sock for the boots and shoes.

Regarding the walking poles I have to say that without them I'm not convinced I'd have completed the journey, they became and still are my best friend when walking.

Buen Camino

Prefer trail shoes. You may want to check out Vasque.com
They make a variety of trail shoes that are very durable. In addition they have a variety of traditinal hiking shoes and boots. We are walking this year in March and April and plan to use trail shoes. Since weather is unpredictable at this time of year we are bringing second pair of them in case they need additional time to dry.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The lovely man who tends feet under the stairs in the Santo Domingo albergue told me my horrendous blisters were due to having sweaty feet. I had walked from St Jean in walking boots. I had to carry on to Burgos in crocs before flying home. The following year I walkd from Sarria to Santiago in walking sandals. No blisters.

Don't wait until the Camino to test your footwear options! If you like snug footwear, walk ten miles with your pack for two successive days and see if friction results. If you are going to use a polypro liner sock and a wool or blend outer sock, fit your footwear wearing those. You are likely to find that you prefer a half-size larger than normal. I have a narrow foot, so I buy my regular size (foot length does not change while hiking); the lacing is just a bit less tight. The very worst footwear is that which is too small or two short. You WILL get blisters from too small, and you are likely to get black toenails from downhill sections from footwear that is too short. I have seen pilgrims remove the front top of footwear because of toenails (and a wallet that cannot procure new boots on the Camino)! Don't plan on using sandals unless you are familiar with your ability to walk varied terrain with a backpack while wearing them. Buen camino!

Sorry I rambled on a bit. I tend to do that. However, in my defence, I will say that many issues are closely related regarding footwear. F'rinstance, if one wears squishy shoes that don't grab around the ankles, and walking poles are not used, then feet are free to slide forward during descents and to repeatedly jam toes into boots, risking blisters. OK, that's all from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My brother used Scarpa mids on the Camino, they are a snug fitting boot. Everything worked fine for the first two weeks, then his feet started to broaden and he had a lot of problems after that with his small toes, hence the need for a larger size and a broad toebox IMO.

Personally I've come to the conclusion that a quality pair of breathable, lightweight but supportive pair of ankle high walking/hiking boots/shoes are a good choice. I also like to bring more than one type of insoles with me, as well as more than one type of socks. If one type is not working well, it's nice to have the option of switching out.

Army boots here, because of my weak ankles.

Otherwise, hmmm, I think the answer to the poll should be variable seasonally ...

I started walking in trail shoes and had lots of forefoot pain. So I switched to my Chaco sandals, which for some reason worked great for the rest of the walk (almost 500 miles). I don't know why they didn't cause the pain I always get with any kind of shoes over long distances. No messing with vaseline, taping, layers of socks, etc. Get muddy, just step in a fountain and swish around, then keep walking. Occasionally added socks when it was cold, but rarely. Chacos are also the choice for the authors of the Village to Village Camino Guide (you can see them pictured on the back flap). Others here have found other brands of open sandals that work for them, too. However I would never advise anyone else about footwear... you have to find out what's best for you with experience. But be open-minded!

sandals are ok for some stretches of the Camino, but on some of the loose gravel paths you'll find small stones become a pain.

I just wouldn't be able to. My ankles and feet need the support. But good that some can....

I walked at age 61 and am not a lightweight. A pebble in my sandal happened about once a kilometer, which wasn't as bad as the blisters everybody else got.

There is no rhyme or reason to it that I can figure out. You just have to find out what works for you and ignore all the advice. I was just glad I brought my Chacos as a backup.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @CaptNoglos

The best choice is what works for you.

On the other hand, if you have not walked 20 plus km day after day for four or five weeks your previous experience may not be helpful.

You will see many threads that focus on pack lists and how to minimise the weight you carry on your back.

Minimising footwear weight is also something to be highly commended. After all, you have to lift a foot for every step you take.

So, my tuppence worth is this:
  • trial the lightest walking/running shoes you can find;
  • favourably consider those that have an open weave in the toe box;
  • trial shoes at least one full size bigger than normal;
  • trial a thin liner sock with an ankle sock - if this works for you, then increase shoe size again.
  • otherwise whatever socks work - @Robo has good advice above on taking several types
As part of your training please include working up to achieving a total elevation increase of, say, 700 metres before you have a breakfast stop. This will put in a good space to cope with the hills you will encounter.

As part of your training please include working up to achieving non-stop sectors of, say, at least 10 km.

These two factors will both train your body and your mind to cope more easily with the pressures you will face. I speak as someone of "mature" years.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Having been a walker for many years I thought I knew what was most suitable. Unfortunately the place where I bought my first Camino walking shoes forgot to tell me about their lack of inner sole padding. Result Camino over after 5 days - 15/18 months of rehab and not much walking (certainly no 20-25 km days - in fact I had to cycle the camino in 2015).
Now I have comfortable walking boots (reasonably lightweight); to which I have added significant inner padding.
What "you" choose depends upon a number of factors: your weight; average distance walked each day; feet conditions (see a professional for an assessment before departing - but after you have done a month or two training in the shoes/boots you intend to walk in).

The one thing I do know - stop and rest your feet every two hours; take of footwear and socks and let your feet breath. Cheers

Having been a walker for many years I thought I knew what was most suitable. Unfortunately the place where I bought my first Camino walking shoes forgot to tell me about their lack of inner sole padding. Result Camino over after 5 days - 15/18 months of rehab and not much walking (certainly no 20-25 km days - in fact I had to cycle the camino in 2015).
Now I have comfortable walking boots (reasonably lightweight); to which I have added significant inner padding.
What "you" choose depends upon a number of factors: your weight; average distance walked each day; feet conditions (see a professional for an assessment before departing - but after you have done a month or two training in the shoes/boots you intend to walk in).

The one thing I do know - stop and rest your feet every two hours; take of footwear and socks and let your feet breath. Cheers

Good points/advice Mike. I visited a Podiatrist and a Physio, both of whom were used to working with walkers / runners.

The Physio fitted me with custom insoles, that were moulded to fit my feet, and tested my gait by videoing me walking. He added additional thin 'shims to correct my ankle angle on one side. Did the same with my wife Pat. We both did fine on our Caminos. Other than pre-existing foot conditions, (that we managed fine) but that's another story........and the reason I sought professional advice in the first place ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I suspect body weight, pack weight, age and fitness are very much a factor. Although given the comments here, I am tempted to try some short walks around home with just trainers, and had already decided that I will certainly have light shoes for the evenings in Spain. I suspect that it will be hard to move away from walking boots / shoes for daytime though. Off to my favourite outdoor shop tomorrow for some advice, and a review of my current boots, which have undertaken many miles, and just might not complete the Camino in one piece.

I suspect body weight, pack weight, age and fitness are very much a factor. Although given the comments here, I am tempted to try some short walks around home with just trainers, and had already decided that I will certainly have light shoes for the evenings in Spain. I suspect that it will be hard to move away from walking boots / shoes for daytime though. Off to my favourite outdoor shop tomorrow for some advice, and a review of my current boots, which have undertaken many miles, and just might not complete the Camino in one piece.

My trusty Saloman GTXs are falling apart. A bit of training, one 800 km and one 120 km Camino and they have had it....

Can't replace them......the new Salomans are not as comfortable :(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Personally I've come to the conclusion that a quality pair of breathable, lightweight but supportive pair of ankle high walking/hiking boots/shoes are a good choice. I also like to bring more than one type of insoles with me, as well as more than one type of socks. If one type is not working well, it's nice to have the option of switching out.
Thanks, that's good sound stuff and in line with our own thinking, nice to see others have the same experience.

Although this is very personal, on my second Camino I had two pairs of shoes: Keen Arroyo II sandals for the rough bits and rain; New Balance walking shoes for the asphalt and concrete. No blisters or foot problems. Hiking boot proved too hot on my first Camino (had to be donated in Santo Domingo after causing too much hear in July 2014 and massive blisters). Kept trying various footwear (a total of 5 before Santiago), but ended up with Keen Newport sandals and Merrell water shoes? What can I say, they worked.

The upshot is, consider not just one pair of footwear, but two. The only day I got any even minor foot problem was the second day from Santiago to Muxia, which is all asphalt and I did not change into my sandals all day long. My wife had only one pair (Hoka trail runners) for the entire walk. She loved them, but by the end they were giving her problems. All footwear rubs and binds in some way. The idea of rotating footwear seems to really help.

This also means I could not vote in your poll--no option to check multiple types of shoes. One note: the second pair of footwear was the heaviest item in my pack, but my total pack weight was still below 15 pounds (plus food and water, which varied day to day and hour to hour), so quite manageable. On the Camino, we are just life support systems for our feet and legs. I'll skimp on anything else, but not items for the feet. I thought the second pair of shoes was the most beneficial thing I had in my pack, and well worth the weight.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Last edited:
My preferred choice is snugly fitting (not tight) good quality walking boots with gel insoles for hard wearing, robust structure, ankle protection. They also have to be well broken in before they are used every day. An important part is good quality pairs of walking socks to use and swap. This helps and prevents the formation of blisters.

Views anyone?

I had trouble with gel insoles leaking while on the camino. I bought some, used them a few days and then had to discard them. Not sure if you are talking about some kind of special gel insoles. Mine were the aftermarket kind you buy at the pharmacy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Seeing lots of comments in these forums about footwear, as well as in the number of books that I am reading. These vary from Open sandals, running shoes, trainers, walking shoes, and walking boots

I think it depends on the time of year. I walked the Camino Frances in walking shoes because it was end August and very hot. However, when I walked the Portuguese Camino in April I wore boots and was very glad I did because it was cool and wet. I agree, lightweight boots are ideal but they need to be much larger than you would normally wear. I wouldn't walk in sandals because the terrain is too rough and the risk of stubbing a toe too great.

Views anyone?

Views anyone?

I started walking in trail shoes and had lots of forefoot pain. So I switched to my Chaco sandals, which for some reason worked great for the rest of the walk (almost 500 miles). I don't know why they didn't cause the pain I always get with any kind of shoes over long distances. No messing with vaseline, taping, layers of socks, etc. Get muddy, just step in a fountain and swish around, then keep walking. Occasionally added socks when it was cold, but rarely. Chacos are also the choice for the authors of the Village to Village Camino Guide (you can see them pictured on the back flap). Others here have found other brands of open sandals that work for them, too. However I would never advise anyone else about footwear... you have to find out what's best for you with experience. But be open-minded!
Jill, I have Chacos but worry that they are very heavy to carry when not using my trainers. Do Chacos vary in weight? Also I traveling April 28 from (SJPdP). Won't it be too cold for open sandals?

Good points/advice Mike. I visited a Podiatrist and a Physio, both of whom were used to working with walkers / runners.

The Physio fitted me with custom insoles, that were moulded to fit my feet, and tested my gait by videoing me walking. He added additional thin 'shims to correct my ankle angle on one side. Did the same with my wife Pat. We both did fine on our Caminos. Other than pre-existing foot conditions, (that we managed fine) but that's another story........and the reason I sought professional advice in the first place ;)
Rob, thanks for the Camino trip this morning! I especially liked the post-Camino reflections.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We both wear Hi-Tec lightweight breathable leather boots which are also waterproof. This is for May walking not high summer in Spain, although we wear them in summer in the UK. With these we use a 3 sock system, very thin liners plus mid weight and then cushion sole mohair socks. If it is very hot we can swap our mid pair/outer pair etc to allow for our feet expanding. Also we carry crocs for post walking wear (evening/showers/sightseeing). Never had any problems and are glad of the ankle support.
If you make it to our S Devon get-together @CaptNoglos we can show you our system, although I suspect that you will want your boots sooner to break them in. Hi-Tec only need a few walks before use and are often available from Cotswold outdoors etc. Altitude V or Ravine (which are slightly heavier) - the former we now keep for Spain (after our 2015 Camino) and at home use the Ravine.

Views anyone?
B O T H !!!!

High damping factor sandals AND low CUT trekking shoes with stiffer footplate and vibram rubber soles..

I should have also said that I have changed the liners in my boots for Milletts interchangeable style 'orthosoles'. They have velcro-on interchangeable arch support sections, soft/medium/hard, and a gel pad under the heel. This is something that I started after our 2015 Camino and would recommend if you need extra arch support. (Maybe another sign of increasing age)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
And I'm not convinced that Pepsi tastes better than Coke.
Jill (who had foot problems with my well-fitting boots and trainers and ended up walking the Camino successfully in the "extra" sandals I brought along).
Same with me......sandals helped me out!!

I am puzzled. Are you recommending that people ignore all advice but yours, or should they ignore advice from you as well, in which case they might heed other advice:eek:.
LOL, yeah, I guess I am! My advice is to ignore all advice about which specific footware is best for everyone. Just like advice about whether blue is better than red. (I will point out that the old statues I saw on the Camino of pilgrims from 800 years ago were wearing sandals that looked just like mine) :)

Last edited:

Views anyone?
Well, it's been almost a week now. Fun, isn't it?

Hi,

I walked Camino Portugues in August and I suggest to take both pairs. I had my experienced Solomon boots and a pair of Keen sandals. I used sandals when walking on the beach and for sightseeing in the evrening. I was not too hot in the boots but made sure they were properly clean to allow for maximum air flow.

Buen Camino

LOL, yeah, I guess I am! My advice is to ignore all advice about which specific footware is best for everyone. Just like advice about whether blue is better than red. (I will point out that the old statues I saw on the Camino of pilgrims from 800 years ago were wearing sandals that looked just like mine) :)
Sandals were the choice they could afford, probably. Someone said recently here that if pilgrims had buses centuries ago, they wouldn't have walked. There's so much choice in this modern world, so much to argue about!

Views anyone?
Hi, My wife and I walked the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied De Port to Santiago last year. We both trained for about 200 kms in our new boots. Both us us were very comfortable in the boots. One pair was Kathmandu full leather boots and the other pair was full leather Keens - excellent for a broad foot. The Kathmandu's lasted 700km of the Camino and the Keens lasted 800km. The full leather boots were excellent in the wet weather and the heavy mud. we saw shoes being sucked off feet. We took hiking sandals as back ups and for a break from the boots. My wife wore the boots exclusively till they wore out then the sandals for the last 100km but took the inners out of the boots for extra comfort in the sandals.
Once the insides of the boots are wet, you have to take the time to dry them out. We used an albergue's hairdryer put inside the boots.
Enquiries from manufactures Keens said that 350kms is what they thought we should expect from the boots and that we should carry 3 pair. Not happening due to weight and size.
we are doing the Camino in 2017 from Le Puy to St Jean so have purchased new boots and my wife is also trying hiking shoes. Crossing our fingers.
Good luck!

Newspaper stuffed in boots is wonderful for drying them out. Two or three changes of crumpled paper and they are ready next morning. Hospitaleros etc often can give you old papers to use.

Jill, I have Chacos but worry that they are very heavy to carry when not using my trainers. Do Chacos vary in weight? Also I traveling April 28 from (SJPdP). Won't it be too cold for open sandals?

The newer Chacos are lighter than before. They still have a sturdy footbed so aren't very lightweight. You can add socks if it's cold... I didn't have a problem. If you've got trainers too, you should be covered.

Last edited:

Great advice, we had the same on Coast to Coast. We put new inner soles into our walking boots half way across because we were having so many problems on the harder surfaces. Transformed the walk and made it a must for the future.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are some really useful and helpful comments here. On other walks we have seen walkers with horrendous blisters using light shoes, or trainers. Whilst there are many reasons for blisters, it did put us off changing from well fitted high ankle walking boots + good quality socks, (with gaiters if wet). Not had blisters yet. The poll seems to be favouring walking boots at the moment, just. But still wider than the UK Brexit vote!

I should have also said that I have changed the liners in my boots for Milletts interchangeable style 'orthosoles'. They have velcro-on interchangeable arch support sections, soft/medium/hard, and a gel pad under the heel. This is something that I started after our 2015 Camino and would recommend if you need extra arch support. (Maybe another sign of increasing age)
Good point! I have had flat feet since my first pair of shoes, and arch support is def worthwhile.

We both wear Hi-Tec lightweight breathable leather boots which are also waterproof. This is for May walking not high summer in Spain, although we wear them in summer in the UK. With these we use a 3 sock system, very thin liners plus mid weight and then cushion sole mohair socks. If it is very hot we can swap our mid pair/outer pair etc to allow for our feet expanding. Also we carry crocs for post walking wear (evening/showers/sightseeing). Never had any problems and are glad of the ankle support.
If you make it to our S Devon get-together @CaptNoglos we can show you our system, although I suspect that you will want your boots sooner to break them in. Hi-Tec only need a few walks before use and are often available from Cotswold outdoors etc. Altitude V or Ravine (which are slightly heavier) - the former we now keep for Spain (after our 2015 Camino) and at home use the Ravine.
Hope to make the meet. We have high ankle support boots, and "discovered" good quality walking socks, having always made do with a variety of combinations, largely learnt from my scouting days.

Although this is very personal, on my second Camino I had two pairs of shoes: Keen Arroyo II sandals for the rough bits and rain; New Balance walking shoes for the asphalt and concrete. No blisters or foot problems. Hiking boot proved too hot on my first Camino (had to be donated in Santo Domingo after causing too much hear in July 2014 and massive blisters). Kept trying various footwear (a total of 5 before Santiago), but ended up with Keen Newport sandals and Merrell water shoes? What can I say, they worked.

The upshot is, consider not just one pair of footwear, but two. The only day I got any even minor foot problem was the second day from Santiago to Muxia, which is all asphalt and I did not change into my sandals all day long. My wife had only one pair (Hoka trail runners) for the entire walk. She loved them, but by the end they were giving her problems. All footwear rubs and binds in some way. The idea of rotating footwear seems to really help.

This also means I could not vote in your poll--no option to check multiple types of shoes. One note: the second pair of footwear was the heaviest item in my pack, but my total pack weight was still below 15 pounds (plus food and water, which varied day to day and hour to hour), so quite manageable. On the Camino, we are just life support systems for our feet and legs. I'll skimp on anything else, but not items for the feet. I thought the second pair of shoes was the most beneficial thing I had in my pack, and well worth the weight.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo
Thanks for that, you are right, I didn't include an option for more than one pair. An omission seeing some of the comments. I certainly intend having evening footwear as well, and it is interesting to see many considering, or using, two or more pairs of footwear for different terrain during the day. I tend to have just one, + evening / indoor wear.

To add my ha'pennyworth!

I change socks every two hours and on a dry day clip the sweaty pair to a nappy pin at the rear of my rucksack.

When on the Norte, I passed a shoe factory at Vilalba and then bought a pair of their sandals in a shop in town - these sandals have a protected toe which obviates pebble ingress. Velcro fastening to ankle and heel.

I bought a handmade pair of leather boots from the cobbler in Melide, Laia opposite the church doorway, (having bought wonderful all-leather town shoes from him previously) and though lovely to look at and initially sensationally comfortable, they proved totally inadequate on rainy days on the Via Regia in Germany...

My own comfort has been assured by the purchase in Zamora of Spanish manufactured Chiruca hiking boots, Almanzor 15 Gore-Tex, two continental sizes too big. I have since bought them online for the same price with free postage to the UK from the El Corte Inglés.

I find that buying my next pair at the end of a long hike when in Spain meant that my feet had acquired their 'definitive' proportions.

I have used sandals on light days with easy runs OR when I have had a heavy day towards the end. Weather plays a part...

Lovely to read all the opinions and I have gleaned useful alternatives. Thank you all.

Off to Tasmania this week to hike the Cradle Mountain trail... sadly no camino though...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The mention of a hairdryer reminds me that it was a godsend when drying socks one day!

And after a very wet day accessing Bilbao, 5 minutes on low power, per boot in a microwave worked wonders!!! With due sanitisation of said appliance afterwards, of course....

There are some really useful and helpful comments here. On other walks we have seen walkers with horrendous blisters using light shoes, or trainers. Whilst there are many reasons for blisters, it did put us off changing from well fitted high ankle walking boots + good quality socks, (with gaiters if wet). Not had blisters yet. The poll seems to be favouring walking boots at the moment, just. But still wider than the UK Brexit vote!
And I had the opposite experience. The people I encountered with the worst blisters were wearing boots. I wore very light weight trail runners and got one small blister, which I attribute to not being diligent about airing my feet out during rest stops one day.
I did walk in quite hot weather at the end of August, so I think that played a factor in who got blisters.

Here's an interesting article about boots vs trail runners. http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots Most sources I found online refuted the idea that "ankle support" is necessary or helps. They also point out that the majority of long distance through-hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail, Appalachian Trail, etc - carrying more weight than Camino walkers and hiking much further, as a rule, per day - wear lightweight trail runners.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hope the advice you've received hasn't confused you. Reading the varying opinions on what to wear really is a personal matter.

My wife and I walked from StJPdP to SDC starting 23 March 2016 (when the Napoleon Way was still closed due to deemed treacherous icy conditions). The temperature on leaving Roncevalles on the second day walking through snow was -2, however by the time we arrived in Santiago the temps were hovering around the high 20's.

I bought a pair of Merrill Mid Moab hiking boots/shoes prior to departing with the intention of "walking them in" but due to the hot humid conditions (35+) in our summer here there was little chance of replicating the conditions we would be experiencing starting from StJPdP. I chose the Merrills as they were a wider fit and selected a full size larger than I normally wear. My wife went with a pair of Salomon X Ultra mid cut boots as she had a narrower foot. We both wore thin light undersocks and thicker hiking socks every day and (fortunately) avoided blisters. I changed my insoles to pharmacy bought gel insoles in Pamplona and found them to be more comfortable.

We also took along fairly light hiking sandals...me with Merrills and her with Keens for post-walking wear.

We encountered quite a bit of rain during our Camino and both our boots remained dry (Goretex); although we did wear weatherproof spats under out rain pants to keep the water from running into them. Looking at my boots now it's hard to imagine they've covered over 800km through some tough terrain and mud, mud, mud. It was interesting to read a previous post where some manufacturers provide a wear (km) use by date. My Merrill Mid Moabs still look brand new!! We both used walking poles which I initially wasn't keen on; however, they really came into their own as some of the walk is quite steep (up & down), slippery (when wet) and loose. I wouldn't go anywhere without them now!

From memory, I'm pretty sure we ran into Mike Trebert a few times during our Camino Frances from 23 March 16 to 3 May 16.

Buen Camino Peregrinos.

And I had the opposite experience. The people I encountered with the worst blisters were wearing boots. I wore very light weight trail runners and got one small blister, which I attribute to not being diligent about airing my feet out during rest stops one day.
I did walk in quite hot weather at the end of August, so I think that played a factor in who got blisters.
That's really interesting, such different experiences. Seasons have to be important as well, clearly hot and sticky feet are going to present a higher risk of blisters. I suppose you could mitigate that with talc? and or changing socks frequently etc etc. some swear by "Glove in a Bottle" , might try that as an experiment. I think that really does confirm that it is very individual, and it is important to make sure that whatever you do, has to work for you. Brilliant.

To add my ha'pennyworth!

I change socks every two hours and on a dry day clip the sweaty pair to a nappy pin at the rear of my rucksack.

When on the Norte, I passed a shoe factory at Vilalba and then bought a pair of their sandals in a shop in town - these sandals have a protected toe which obviates pebble ingress. Velcro fastening to ankle and heel.

I bought a handmade pair of leather boots from the cobbler in Melide, Laia opposite the church doorway, (having bought wonderful all-leather town shoes from him previously) and though lovely to look at and initially sensationally comfortable, they proved totally inadequate on rainy days on the Via Regia in Germany...

My own comfort has been assured by the purchase in Zamora of Spanish manufactured Chiruca hiking boots, Almanzor 15 Gore-Tex, two continental sizes too big. I have since bought them online for the same price with free postage to the UK from the El Corte Inglés.

I find that buying my next pair at the end of a long hike when in Spain meant that my feet had acquired their 'definitive' proportions.

I have used sandals on light days with easy runs OR when I have had a heavy day towards the end. Weather plays a part...

Lovely to read all the opinions and I have gleaned useful alternatives. Thank you all.

Off to Tasmania this week to hike the Cradle Mountain trail... sadly no camino though...
Just a tad envious of a trip to Tasmania, have a great time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here's an interesting article about boots vs trail runners. http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots Most sources I found online refuted the idea that "ankle support" is necessary or helps. They also point out that the majority of long distance through-hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail, Appalachian Trail, etc - carrying more weight than Camino walkers and hiking much further, as a rule, per day - wear lightweight trail runners.
Thank you for sharing this article. It seems to be a very personal opinion, and doesn't reference anything but the author's own ultra-lightweight ideological perspective about these things. So it has much the same credibility as most of the discussion here about this topic where we have a wide range of views from forum members, including the ultra-lightweight walking devotees as well as those of us who take a more conservative approach.

As for refuting the idea that ankle support is necessary, it doesn't. It does suggest that strengthening and stretching your ankles is recommended and that under certain conditions additional ankle support should be unnecessary.

To top it off, the author also admits that
  1. he continues to wear boots for his winter walks, and
  2. his approach is not universally accepted.

I am inclined to think that general statements that people need "ankle support" are probably not usually valid. However, that doesn't mean that low shoes are generally better. There are pros and cons to each, that everyone must weigh.

I read the article, I also wore the Peregrine6 Trail Runners the author recommends, no problem on Camino Frances

I read the article, I also wore the Peregrine6 Trail Runners the author recommends, no problem on Camino Frances
Time of year? I am wondering if trail runners are spring / summer, and walking boots are better for Autumn / Winter. I'm struggling to find a compelling arguement for trail runners if the terrain is deep mud and raining. Ok for a day or too perhaps, but struggling to support for a long walk, Def see a sound arguement for different footwear for different conditions, that makes perfect sense.

I started with boots and have progressed through to sandals - decent hiking sandals with a good sturdy sole, a beautifully comfortable foot bed, and open toes (with open toes it is easy to tap pebbles out the front. Not that pebbles happen much). I walked the Norte in them - wading through the mud and rain. No problems. Washing mud off feet is much easier than washing it off boots or shoes. I might consider something different for a winter camino, but not otherwise.

But shoes are so individual - you have to find the right one for you. My only general bit of advice is, given everything else is equal, go for the lightest.

Time of year? I am wondering if trail runners are spring / summer, and walking boots are better for Autumn / Winter. I'm struggling to find a compelling arguement for trail runners if the terrain is deep mud and raining. Ok for a day or too perhaps, but struggling to support for a long walk, Def see a sound arguement for different footwear for different conditions, that makes perfect sense.
April and May. Yes, the trail runners get wet but they dry very quickly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Merrel walking boots, lightweight but hard wearing. If i'm walking say 20km, after about 15km i will change to my Keen walking sandals if it's not raining. I also remove my boots and sometimes socks as well when I stop for a rest. In the boots I wear 1000 mile trekking socks (double layered) plus merino socks over the top. With the sandals just the 1000 mile socks. I've never had more than very minor blisters. I always wear the sandals in the evenings and around the albergue.

Before selecting what footwear I would use for the Camino I consulted with my foot surgeon since I was a few months post-op. He was familiar with the mixed terrain (including pavement) of the CF. With his blessing I ending up choosing the Salomon XA Pro mid-GTX "boots" which are essentially running shoes that provide ankle protection. The "mid" is only a few ounces heavier than the regular (low-cut) version. So for a few ounces I went with the extra protection. I have about 200km on them now and am confident I made a good choice.

Before selecting what footwear I would use for the Camino I consulted with my foot surgeon since I was a few months post-op. He was familiar with the mixed terrain (including pavement) of the CF. With his blessing I ending up choosing the Salomon XA Pro mid-GTX "boots" which are essentially running shoes that provide ankle protection. The "mid" is only a few ounces heavier than the regular (low-cut) version. So for a few ounces I went with the extra protection. I have about 200km on them now and am confident I made a good choice.

Agree with the need for ankle protection, which has put us off light trekking, or running shoes (trainers in the UK?) . We've now purchased some lightweight Lowa "Renegade" walking boots, with some insole support, which are proving to be very comfortable on some "walking in" that we have now done. Off to the South Downs next weekend to do some more, after Dartmoor last weekend.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't forget to train on hard surfaces, ie. roadways or sidewalks, in your boots as well. I found, to my detriment, that boots did not have the flexibility I needed when walking on roads and gave me shin splints. From now on I only wear hiking sandals or trail runners which work well for me on all types of terrain.

Views anyone?
I like taking both, and alternating my light, low top hikers (salomon) with my Teva sandles. The sandles give me a break on my toes.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.