Walking from mid-Janurary 2018 to whenever I get there | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Walking from mid-Janurary 2018 to whenever I get there

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Castro, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Castro

Castro New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I plan to walk the Camino mid January.
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so if I don't know the right terminology forgive me. I'm planning a much needed Camino starting from Barcelona on a Saturday and trying to get to SJPP. I'm wondering what's the most inexpensive route to pre-order, flight or train and bus? Also, can anyone give me advice about the number of alburges that might be open at the time? All and any help is greatly appreciated.

2. C clearly

C clearly Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances: 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016. Seville-Astorga: Mar 2017.
    Just to clarify... you want to know how to get from Barcelona to SJPP so you can start walking the Camino Frances from SJPP? What month do you plan to go?

domigee likes this.
  3. domigee

domigee Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Planning the 'Via Lemovicensis' ...
    I think the OP said mid-January.... There is a thread on albergues opened in Winter but I can't remember which one it is :confused:

Anyway, @Castro, hello and welcome!
    You may find those links useful:

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/
    https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

I think those sites can be translated into English if you need to but...I'll have to rely on someone else to explain how :confused:

As for the transport from Barcelona, this may help: https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Barcelona/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Ask away if you need more answers :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. Jan_D

Jan_D Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Aragones (2011)
    Frances (2012)
    Norte (2013, 2014)
    Hospitalera (2014)
    Portugues (2017)
    I'd normally recommend a train to Pamplona then bus to SJPP, but unfortunately the bus doesn't run over the winter. If it were me, I'd catch a flight BCN-Bordeaux with Easyjet (just checked and they have one for £27 on 14 Jan), and then train it to Bayonne--> SJPP the next day.

Phil W, Bradypus and domigee like this.
  5. Castro

Castro New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I arrive in Barcelona on January 11 and plan to take transportation to SJPP on the morning of Saturday 13. I just trying to pay for as much as I can ahead of time to avoid increased costs.

6. Castro

Castro New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Ok, thank you for that, because I saw a flight for around the same price but I wasn't sure.

C clearly likes this.
  7. Castro

Castro New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you and I appreciate all the help I can get. I know, or at least I'm hoping there might not be such a huge crowd of pilgrims around that time so I can a certain amount of solitude to reflect.

8. Jan_D

Jan_D Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Aragones (2011)
    Frances (2012)
    Norte (2013, 2014)
    Hospitalera (2014)
    Portugues (2017)
    It's bound to be very quiet. Throughout the month of February this year a total of 233 pilgrims who started in SJPP got their Compostelas, so if you calculate that backwards, it's not too many starting each day. Your biggest challenge will be the weather (you'll be crossing the Pyrenees in mid-winter; the Napoleon route is closed as it's too dangerous) and there's a good chance you'll encounter storms and snow throughout your time on the camino, so make sure you have the right gear and heed the advice of locals!

The other challenge will be the accommodation, as lots of albergues are open seasonally. Here's a list to give you an idea: http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

There are a number of threads on this forum on doing a "winter camino", so you'll find lots of information if you type that into the search box. The main advice is about having the right clothes (in a nutshell, you'll be dealing with a lot of wind, rain and mud, but it can also get warm so wear layers), and about albergues in winter - most albergues have very basic facilities, are poorly insulated and have no heating, so make sure you wrap up tight and don't expect to be able to dry your clothes (for me this was the biggest inconvenience of a winter camino - unless you've used waterproof gear everything stays wet!)

domigee likes this.
  9. mspath

mspath Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
    katie@camino and falcon269 like this.
  10. nycwalking

nycwalking Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
    Buen camino.

11. Castro

Castro New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you so much for all your advice and I really appreciate any help for my walk!!

Jan_D likes this.
  12. falcon269

falcon269 sidra; no commercial interests

Camino(s) past & future:
    yes
    I expect to start in Toulouse at about that time, and do not expect to meet anyone until Puente La Reina. I would not recommend that you make any extraordinary effort to get to SJPdP. Just start in Pamplona. Many places will be closed on January, so there will be plenty of challenge without adding inconvenience.

katie@camino likes this.
  13. kirkie

kirkie Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
    Wishing you a buen camino. Once you are on the way, even if an albergue is closed, depending on the location it could be possible to knock loudly enough on the door ( figuratively speaking) and you will be taken in.

14. Castro

Castro New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I was thinking about doing just that, I figured if albergues were going to be far and few why add more difficulty.

alexwalker likes this.
  15. OzAnnie

OzAnnie Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    'Portuguese 2012' ' Frances 2013' ' Norte 2014' 'Salvadore/Primitivo 2015'
    Hi there @Castro
    Another way is to take a train from Barcelona Sants to Irun and catch the bus (approx 1 hr) across to Bayonne & connecting with the little train to Sjpdp.
    I caught that direct train to Irun in 2014 from Barcelona when walking the Norte. Really relaxing way to get there - I pre booked the train before leaving Oz.

However., IMHO; it would suit even better if you got off this same train in ‘Pamplona’ and started your walk from there. (I’m thinking about then weather when you’re walking). Most of the train pilgrims got off at Pamplona when I was travelling. It’s a popular starting point for the CF.

Whatever you choose ., Buen Camino.
    It will be fabulous.
    Annie

16. Castro

Castro New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you for the help, I'm getting the hint that maybe Pamplona is my best starting point for a winter camino. I realize the weather is going to be the biggest roadblock, but I'm living in Seattle so I am kinda used to cold weather.

OzAnnie likes this.
  17. OzAnnie

OzAnnie Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    'Portuguese 2012' ' Frances 2013' ' Norte 2014' 'Salvadore/Primitivo 2015'
    Hi Castro
    Good to take well meaning advice., but follow your heart too if that is what you dreamed.
    You could also get from Pamplona to Roncesvalles relatively easily by bus or taxi / and you won’t miss out on that great section to Pamplona. Too many choices .
    Buen Camino
    Annie