• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Warning - you may need to book ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcopeland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - April-June, 2016
Portuguese Lisbon-Santiago - October, 2017
We started from St. Jean on Tuesday, stayed at Orisson (having booked back in February) and were told not to worry about reserving in Roncesvalles. We're slow, and when we arrived in Roncesvalles all beds in the new section were taken. They placed us in one of the rooms of the old section - very cold, with no heat. They were surprised at the amount of pilgrims who came through that day. Today we came into Zubiri, again thinking we did not need to book ahead. We got the last room (at a hotel) in town. Everything else was sold out by 3. The next town was also sold out. The albergues are flabbergasted that so many pilgrims are here and are telling us that we need to book tomorrow's stay tonight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the traffic update mccopeland.... good to know. I'll be starting from Pamplona in a week...

This really makes me nervous. I will be doing my first Camino starting the end of May. I've booked Orrison for the first night. With my M.S. pain I have no idea as to how far my body will allow me to walk. My hope was to book as I go. With M.S. You just never know how your body will react from day to day. Should I consider bringing a tent ???

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It could be that you are in larger wave of pilgrims. When Albergues/people tell you they are flabbergsted at the amount of people in that place they are also saying we have not had these larger amounts in the preceding days, it could be also quieter again after this wave has passed. If you find a simpatico hospitalero you could ask him to find out what the crowds are like the day behind, it maybe worth slowing down or waiting for the etapas after Viana where it may be easier to go to quieter stopping places.

While I never would have thoughtod booking in 2007 I have never agreed with those telling those who arrive mid to late pm not to book these days. I am sure this post will ne helpful to many short leggd people like my slef that do require 7-9 hours a day to cover a typical etapa. Hopefully you have a phone with you to start booking ahead.

This really makes me nervous. I will be doing my first Camino starting the end of May. I've booked Orrison for the first night. With my M.S. pain I have no idea as to how far my body will allow me to walk. My hope was to book as I go. With M.S. You just never know how your body will react from day to day. Should I consider bringing a tent ???
I intend to start in Lourdes so will be on a lonely route for 8 days when I arrive in SJPP if it's as busy as they say I will just switch to a different Camino. That's my recommendation. Nevertheless lets wait and see when we get there?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I intend to start in Lourdes so will be on a lonely route for 8 days when I arrive in SJPP if it's as busy as they say I will just switch to a different Camino. That's my recommendation. Nevertheless lets wait and see when we get there?
Hey noticed we are almost neighbours, I'm from Grimsby, Ontario
Buen Camino :)

...and I am another neighbour from Burlington, just up the QEW.
We had a guy from Grimsby doing an estimate for our bathrooms at 6pm tonight. Pat O'Hara , maybe another neighbour?
I start my Camino from SJPP on May 26 and will also try and be a little off cycle re the Brierley stages.
Good luck and buen camino Penny,

Bhirc (Bronte Harbour International Running Club)
George

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Penny, it may be that you just have to walk "between the stages" instead of the guidebook stages and perhaps walk shorter stages. Give yourself extra days. Also, you can not book most of the municipal and parochial albergues to my knowledge so the people who are booking are booking private lodging.

It could be that you are in larger wave of pilgrims. When Albergues/people tell you they are flabbergsted at the amount of people in that place they are also saying we have not had these larger amounts in the preceding days, it could be also quieter again after this wave has passed. If you find a simpatico hospitalero you could ask him to find out what the crowds are like the day behind, it maybe worth slowing down or waiting for the etapas after Viana where it may be easier to go to quieter stopping places.
250 left St. Jean on the day with us but they are ahead of us now. We are hoping to walk an average of only 10 miles a day and have a rest day coming up in Pamplona. We'll try to avoid the popular places and maybe no hit the "wave" so much.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are those that will show up to the municipal albergue in Burgos at 7:00pm during the summer and expect beds to be available. You have to be realistic if you want to stay at the cheaper places, you have to be there when they open, usually at 1:00pm.
If you're having a bad day due to blisters, fatigue, etc. and it's still early, stop at the first available place that has a bed.

Pamplona makes more sense. The downhill into Zubiri was brutal. We are exhausted.
Hang in there! The first two days can really pack a one-two punch. Take it easy for a day or two, and pay extra attention to stretching to head off over-exertion in your tendons. Also, eat plenty of protein if possible to help jump start your muscles' healing process (my son and I each ate about 20 oz. of chicken that we stir-fried in the albergue kitchen on our third day, and that made a HUGE difference in our exhaustion and our aching legs).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Even though the numbers are up for the first part of the year, April still will have only 1/4th the number of pilgrims that August will have! Typically, half the pilgrims are on the Camino Frances, but the other routes have also seen large increases. Watching the webcam at Bando, San Marcos near Monte de Gozo, less than half the current pilgrims are carrying backpacks!

Oh my oh my, I will arrive mid May in Arzua from the Norte, is that means I will have to fight the crowds? How about albergues in Santiago?

Zzotte

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh my oh my, I will arrive mid May in Arzua from the Norte, is that means I will have to fight the crowds? How about albergues in Santiago?

Zzotte

You're bound to find it much more crowded than the Norte once you reach Arzua... As for albergues, I just don't know. I'd try to book a few days ahead, just in case?

I refuse to panic :confused: ( Famous last words :D )

You have to be realistic if you want to stay at the cheaper places, you have to be there when they open, usually at 1:00pm.
Deeply frustrating for those of us who would like to spend more of our day walking, not just a few hours each morning. Or who might be mad enough to actually enjoy walking in the afternoon (very unlikely on the meseta in summer, I admit, but there must be some...). One of the reasons why I prefer the less popular Caminos these days and also walking out of high season. I have the great good fortune to be free to pick and choose more or less at will - something for which I am very grateful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I really enjoy walking and I'm sure I will find a place to sleep, but I refuse to leave before 9/9:30 some days at 11am :) I can peacefully walk to about 19:30/ 20:00h and still walk 25/35 km in a day, right now we have so much day light short of a pouring rain I just keep on walking, my idea is what is one to do from 1pm to 10pm ( lights out)? I would go mad with all this time on my hands with nothing to do :)

Zzotte

I was in Galicia from last Tuesday to Friday. On Tuesday I visited O Cebreiro at 14h and there were few pilgrims. On Friday I visited Vega de Valcarce that is located at the beginning of the mountain and at 12 h there were quite a few pilgrims passing.

Zzotte
When I arrived in Melide from the Primitivo last year it was a real shock to see people with backs at each street corner, walking in groups. I all of a sudden felt a bit claustrophobic. I asked a local where I could find an albergue, he ponted to one across the street and I made a quick dash to avoid the frenzy I felt on the street. I was lucky as they had beds available. After a shower and a bit of a rest I headed back outside and there wer still backpacks everywhere but the shcok had passed. It was a very strange sensation to go from walking alone for hours and hours, only having a couple of people pass you here and there, to racing what seemed like an overwhelming sea of bakpacks.By the next day the shock was over but I still much prefered the quieter days now behind me alas.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
...and I am another neighbour from Burlington, just up the QEW.
We had a guy from Grimsby doing an estimate for our bathrooms at 6pm tonight. Pat O'Hara , maybe another neighbour?
I start my Camino from SJPP on May 26 and will also try and be a little off cycle re the Brierley stages.
Good luck and buen camino Penny,

Bhirc (Bronte Harbour International Running Club)
George
Buen Camino George
P.s. I don't know Pat ;)

We were in Castojeriz yesterday and was a stuggle to find a place to stay, many 'full' signs up by 2pm. Ended up in a hotel! Started calling ahead to book rural hotels and CR's now!

I really enjoy walking and I'm sure I will find a place to sleep, but I refuse to leave before 9/9:30 some days at 11am :) I can peacefully walk to about 19:30/ 20:00h and still walk 25/35 km in a day, right now we have so much day light short of a pouring rain I just keep on walking, my idea is what is one to do from 1pm to 10pm ( lights out)? I would go mad with all this time on my hands with nothing to do :)

Zzotte
I agree. I enjoy leaving later. Especially when it is so chilly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Early indications suggest the number of Pilgrims walking the canino frances route will be approximately 10% more than last year. Each year the Camino has become busier and this year is no exception.

That said the section from Saint Jean PdP to Pamplona is always busy at this time of year, as many Americans and Canadians pick both April and May and choose to start in Saint Jean. And many choose to stay in the same three towns between along this section, so by 1:00 pm almost all public albergues are booked out. By 3:00 pm almost all private albergues are booked, leaving others arriving later to fight over the remaining beds in the few pensions that might Lind this section.

The pilgrim rush tends to filter out after Pamplona as everybody sorts out their walking preferences: some choose to walk shorter distances, staying in the smaller towns and villages while others tackle 30 plus kilometres days. It continues to improve the further west you go until Sarria whereby the real pilgrim crush reappears again.

Suggestions:
Start early and finish early, certainly by noon if you want a bed in a public albergue
Call and pre book a bed in a private albergue and aim to show up by mid afternoon.
Avoid the pilgrim bubbles that form along the Camino by walking more or less some days than the crowd.
Stay in the smaller towns instead of the bigger towns listed in the guidebooks

A question to the group: I did not book ahead last July on the CF. But, given this discussion I am wondering the preferred method for booking ahead. Do people call ahead or use an online source like booking.com?

Brady, it's probably the wrong use of the word. Many who use Brierley's Guidebook, take the beginning and end for each day, to be the overnight point, when of course it can be any location you choose.

This coming week is an attractive holiday period for the working population in various European countries: Monday 2 May is a public holiday in the UK, Thursday 5 May is a public holiday in large countries like France and Germany as well as in a few other countries. And Spain in general has experienced a strong increase in the numbers of foreign visitors this year (a plus of 16% for January to March, compared to the same period last year) because people are shunning other destinations around the Mediterranean.

One more suggestion

Avoid starting the Camino during the May 1 holiday period, especially if it falls on the weekend.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A question to the group: I did not book ahead last July on the CF. But, given this discussion I am wondering the preferred method for booking ahead. Do people call ahead or use an online source like booking.com?

We just called ahead and held beds in a private albergue. This to me seems more personal and generally you will discover not only will get a better arrangement, but the person on the other end of line appreciates taking to you.

I have only used Booking.com a few times, with hotel reservations and then again I tend to email the hotel, because many of the smaller family run places will give you a better arrangement than through bookings.com

Last edited:
Brady, it's probably the wrong use of the word. Many who use Brierley's Guidebook, take the beginning and end for each day, to be the overnight point, when of course it can be any location you choose.
Thanks for the clarification. Both my walks along the Frances predated Brierley's guide. I hadn't fully appreciated how much it has become the de facto standard. My walks in the recent past have steered clear of the Frances but I am considering walking it again from St Jean in the next year or two. Very unlikely to be in summer though.

Not to worry, you will be able to find a place. It may not be the Waldorf but after a long walk a bed is a bed. After Zuburi it will ease up a bit. Ponferrada,villafranca, etc. I was the only one in the pensions. It got a little busy from Sarria with all of the hordes on bicycles and a few groups of 20 to 30 students walking. And yet, there are places to stay. As they say in the islands"don't worry be happy" Santiago is a bit busy, but no more than usual, last stamp has beds vacant and is sort of quiet at present. Don't sweat the small stuff,take the time to see what is around you. The weather has been very nice, a little cool in the evening,but nice. Drop in at caminoteca when in Pamplona if you need anything ,nice place. Watch your step when entering Portomarin, a little surprise awaits you. I saw tumble weeds in tertulia this evening,no forum alumnis anywhere. Headed to the coast tomorrow .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the clarification. Both my walks along the Frances predated Brierley's guide. I hadn't fully appreciated how much it has become the de facto standard. My walks in the recent past have steered clear of the Frances but I am considering walking it again from St Jean in the next year or two. Very unlikely to be in summer though.
Summer would be the least time that I would do the CF. I had that heat inIndia while volunteering for 3-month stays since 2006. Spring 2017, considering the Portuguese.

€149,-
I walked from Porto to Santiago in February. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you find the same. It is not so much the heat as much as the crowding that rules out summer on the Frances for me.

I think if I was going to do the Camino frances again I would pick the winter too.

It would be a completely different experience, and obviously a lot less crowded

In Castrojerez a few weeks ago I was the only pilgrim staying at my albergue, the night before they had been completo.

I call in the afternoon for the next day after I have showered. This being said, I saw somewhere there is now a booking service that a number of albergues are using, with a fee of a couple of Euros per booking, or a slightly better deal if you book a number of nights, but I don't know the name of the Web site. If there is a larticular place I want to stay I book from home, for example this time Casa Fernada which feels up weeks in advance apparently.

I walked from Porto to Santiago in February. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you find the rsame. It is not so much the heat as much as the crowding that rules out summer on the Frances for me.
Ditto for me. Last yr Sep/Oct was perfect. No crowds (except briefly out of Sarria). And gorgeous weather.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm planning on starting my Camino from Pamplona around the 12th. I haven't booked ahead or even looked into booking ahead. Is this something that everybody does or have I missed this completely.

We started from St. Jean on Tuesday, stayed at Orisson (having booked back in February) and were told not to worry about reserving in Roncesvalles. We're slow, and when we arrived in Roncesvalles all beds in the new section were taken. They placed us in one of the rooms of the old section - very cold, with no heat. They were surprised at the amount of pilgrims who came through that day. Today we came into Zubiri, again thinking we did not need to book ahead. We got the last room (at a hotel) in town. Everything else was sold out by 3. The next town was also sold out. The albergues are flabbergasted that so many pilgrims are here and are telling us that we need to book tomorrow's stay tonight.
Good luck to both of you,having done the Frances twice I was going back for a third time this year,but will put the trip of till 2017,as have seen its a year of mercy on the Camino.if you think there are lots of Pilgrims, wait till you get to Sarria thats when the fun starts,if I was you I would book places
from Sarria onwards and at the finish..

I use to winter camp in minus 20 degree temperatures
Been there, done that (once!), much more sensible these days :) Obviously I haven't completely recovered my sanity because from next Tuesday I will be walking across Sweden and Norway heading for Trondheim. Planning to camp most nights although -5C or lower overnight is quite possible on parts of the route. Slightly more worrying is the information I read this week that I pass through a region with the highest density of brown bears anywhere on earth. Was in Wikipedia so it must be true :) I will be very surprised if the trail is as busy as the Camino Frances.

I'm planning on starting my Camino from Pamplona around the 12th. I haven't booked ahead or even looked into booking ahead. Is this something that everybody does or have I missed this completely.

I have never booked ahead on the CF except the 1st night ( IF I take a late flight ) and after Sarria. I don't know what it'll be like this year... I hope I don't have to, we'll see!
I'm sure you'll be able to tell quite quickly what it is like, once you're there.
The trouble with booking ahead is that you are restricted, of course, you have to get there.

I'm on day 9 on the Frances -- Viana tonight. When I started, one needed to have reservations at places like Orisson and Beilari in SJPP. Then it got much better, no issues.

This is a holiday weekend and much more crowded. The hospitalero here said that it would be difficult the next couple of days, so I booked ahead for a private albergue in Navarrete.

I don't have the ability to call ahead myself. The hospitalero kindly made the res for me

Hope this helps, and buen Camino, y'all!

Zzotte

You could stay in Arzua for the first night then walk to Santiago the next day, it's only 43km to Santiago....... Actually I don't recommend that, I paid for that with sore feet for the next few days.
Albergue Ultreia in Arzua is great place, unfortunately you'll have to reserve ahead if you want to walk later in the day.

Last edited:
In mid-November, I stayed at Monte de Gozo my last night before Santiago and walked in in the morning to take up my reservation at San Martin Pinario. There were two others, with myself, at Monte de Gozo for all those hundreds of beds. But there was no restaurant open there and no where to buy food, only the food stall by the road. The night before, myself and two other women nearly had to camp out in the bush in the rain, because all three albergues in the area, including the Xunta albergue, had just closed for the season. It seems that the accommodation on the frances is scheduled to provide for the rush of pilgrims going through in high season, although there may not be enough beds when it is really busy. But don't count on there being available beds in low season. I hold with the optimistic saying that "the camino provides." But there was that one night when I wondered if what the camino was providing to the two women pilgrims whom I met was me, to use my bushcraft skills to try to get the three of us safely through the night. Fortunately, the camino thought better of that experiment.

Last edited:
I have followed this thread for a few days and decided to look at what would available in SdC the day I arrive for 6 and 7 July. It depressed me greatly, it seems all of the "normal standbys" are booked already. Of course on line booking searches are subject to a lot of suspicious issues. I sure hope it is just a temporary May Day holiday problem.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi , new to all of this , what would be the best time to do this walk ?

Hi , new to all of this , what would be the best time to do this walk ?
@Kylz72:
Your first consideration will have to be when you can get away, if you have work or family responsibilities. I did the walk after I retired, because my employer would not permit me to take more than two weeks holidays at a time and I could not return to no job. If you have the time, and the money, then the choice of when to go is yours. Many Spanish people take their holidays in August and some go on camino, so that might not be ideal. But if you like heat and are willing to chance the crowds, that might be the best time for you, personally. As a Canadian, I avoid heat if I can, particularly when I am carrying a pack, so I chose to go in the fall. I am going again this fall, but a little earlier, in the hopes that more albergues will still be open and maybe not too crowded. You have to think through all your personal responsibilities and preferences and then just take your chances, if you want to walk the camino frances. Other camino routes may be less crowded but have fewer albergues to stay in, so that you need to walk further each day. Add it all up, then roll the dice. Buen camino.

Thanks for this; one more note for my 2017 planning….

Credit due to kather1na who reminded me about the May holiday which happens to be this weekend.

For what it is worth, if Easter is late in the month, then from Easter through to the May 1 holiday the camino can be busy. After the May 1 holiday until early June, there seems to be a pause - but this might be just me thinking this - before the summer rush starts to kick in

Re the high numbers in last few days could be because its is a long weekend all over EU on Monday 1 May. fiesta de trabajo. Many Spanish and EU walkers take an extra few days holiday and walk sections of the Camino, especially last 100 kms. A Holiday weekend combined with Holy year will cause a PEAK in pilgrim numbers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just come up with a conservative plan. Some days may be a stretch, other days may be easy. I booked ahead because it was the incentive I needed to get to where I was going, btw, I have Lupus.

I don't understand the phrase "designated stages". Designated by whom? Where would I find the list?

A lot of the guide books/web sites follow the same pattern to create manageable stages that mostly end in bigger places. For example: Roncesvalles>Zubiri>Pamplona>Puente la Reina>Estella ect. Try to stay between this typical stopping points and you will have a quieter camino. Buen Camino, SY

What the Camino Frances has finally "booked out"? I seem to recall around six months ago I suggested that if the Pope decreed 2016 a "holy year" (of sorts) that based on 2010 numbers and those for 2014/15 that there was going to be an accommodation problem in the weeks/months after St Georges Day (24 April). If I can find the replies I will put in a link. All this does is confirm for me with a departure date of 3 May 2017 (from St Jean) that I may need a tent/fly and air matress etc. But I hope NOT. I am not even going to think what 2021 is going to be like!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Amber I don't book ahead on the CF except for Orisson and particular hotels in big towns (eg Burgos and Leon) and I've never failed to find a bed. One night last September we were allocated beds in the albergue laundry (nice and private!) because it was full, but that was the closest call. It is often not my first choice, and sometimes i have to pay more, but there is always something.

This year I head out on 12 May and I will take a phone, just in case. If it is too difficult I'll walk another route.

Last edited:
I'm in Rioja now. I started from SJPP 2 weeks ago. Some days I've booked ahead as I'm slow and arrive about 5:00, not sure if I needed to though because some albergues and hostals have been half full. Up to yesterday (May 1st holiday) I've literally been walking alone most of the time, often no one visible for long stretches. I haven't felt any panic for beds, and am working on controlling my unnecessary fear of scarcity! I don't know what summer will be like, but now it's fine out here from my perspective anyway. I'm learning a lot and seeing interesting and beautiful things, as well as funny and ordinary things. I wouldn't worry so much, if it's too crowded to enjoy figure the Camino is not for you, there's plenty else to explore in Spain.

Me too! Penny! I'm starting 1st June and have my first night booked in Orisson. Hopefully this is going in waves as some people suggest, I really don't want to be caught up in a crowd and having a problem each night finding a bed.
I hope we meet up, I've not noticed anyone else here starting same time as us! Which could mean they've all gone ahead and we will have plenty of choice! X

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We started yesterday in Pamplona. The place is absolutely mobbed with pilgrims. This is our 5th camino and I have never seen anything like this. We are slow so will try to walk between stages stopping at the less popular ends.

Today we just walked to Cizur Menur just to get away from the crowds but at noon we joined a line forming outside Albergue Maribel Roncal. In Pamplona we heard stories from pilgrims who walked from SJPP and ran into several albergues that were full so they had to walk further than they planned each day.

I can’t see myself getting up at 5am and going out into the freezing cold in the race for beds. Experience shows we will always find a place to sleep. It is just sometimes that place is a mat on the local gym floor.

Hi Everyone!
I have walked the Camino in high season two times, and... if I dont HAVE to I dont plan to do that ever again (I have my own reasons).

Hope everyone finds beds this year and that the experience dont get too "confusing" with so many "booking ahead".

Hopefully the Municipals and Parochials will never accept bookings no matter what....

That said and this being a holy year, I have a question to the most experienced CF pilgrims:

DO you think late november/december will have a huge number of pilgrims? I know that sounds insane but during my last camino in March/13 I was amazed with the wave of pilgrims that was still going on even with the snow and cold!

Stay brave fellow pilgrims!!! Be patient and if everything is full, walk to the next little town :) At least almost all places will be opened this time of the year!

Buen Camino to you all!!!

Arrived today in Zubiri at 3. Very full. I recommend reservations.

€83,-
Dont need to remind me that!

:D:D:D

I fully regretted not have checked the religious holidays before setting off from SJPP early march! I only realized I was going to ARRIVE in Santiago exactly on Easter Sunday when I past through Sarria! It was a mob! It thoroughly affected my mood ( in a bad way) hahaha.

When I arrived in Santiago, I happily went past the cathedral and moved on towards FInisterra, not stopping even for a quick meal! :p:D:cool:

5 days later when I arrived back in Santiago, it was much better and I had a couple of days rest to walk around town before flying to Brazil..

That said, in my opinion the compostela deal (last 100kms) has to be reviewed. I hear something about that changing to 300km, which I think will at least make the pilgrim mob on the last 100m to dissipate a little bit! Very welcomed decision!

I think that explains it well that early-Holy Year mob during this weekend!

Sounds like quite a memorable Easter weekend in 2013 :).

It wasnt that bad. THe problem rally was that I was walking several weeks with a lot of peace around me... Camino was quite empty.. You get to take your time, make a lot of stops, enjoy the environment, take naps in the sun ( weather allowing)... Very soulwarming in general...

After Sarria, this energy was completely messed up... Just beacuse it was too different, heavier, too many people, so on so forth! :rolleyes:

The problem wasnt even "too many people" as... in the CF thats a given one... THe problem was with myself not coping with change that easily hehehehe

I wonder how its going to be in december... If I follow my initial planning, again by accidnt I might arrive in santiago on the 24th of december.....

:D

Buen Camino to you all!

Amber I don't book ahead on the CF except for Orisson and particular hotels in big towns (eg Burgos and Leon) and I've never failed to find a bed. One night last September we were allocated beds in the albergue laundry (nice and private!) because it was full, but that was the closest call. It is often not my first choice, and sometimes i have to pay more, but there is always something.

This year I head out on 12 May and I will take a phone, just in case. If it is too difficult I'll walk another route.

I'm starting around then also. Where are you starting from? Maybe we will cross paths.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm in Rioja now. I started from SJPP 2 weeks ago. Some days I've booked ahead as I'm slow and arrive about 5:00, not sure if I needed to though because some albergues and hostals have been half full. Up to yesterday (May 1st holiday) I've literally been walking alone most of the time, often no one visible for long stretches. I haven't felt any panic for beds, and am working on controlling my unnecessary fear of scarcity! I don't know what summer will be like, but now it's fine out here from my perspective anyway. I'm learning a lot and seeing interesting and beautiful things, as well as funny and ordinary things. I wouldn't worry so much, if it's too crowded to enjoy figure the Camino is not for you, there's plenty else to explore in Spain.
Also: does anyone recommend buying a guide book for the trail before starting? I'll be in Pamplona for 2 nights at the start, and begin from there. I haven't got one yet. Some say to get one is a must, some say don't bother!

It's the Frances, and it is a Jubilee Year. Kinda glad I'm taking a break from it for a few years #everyonedothecongo ;)

Kanga, Are you leaving from SJPP on the 12th? I will be leaving that day too. Can You tell me if it is possible, without killing myself in the effort, to reach Pamplona by Saturday night if I stay in Orisson on Thursday night? I have a paid for reservation at Hotel Eslava for Saturday night. They won't let me change since I used Booking.com I don't think I can make it until Sunday night. Opinion?

€83,-
Also: does anyone recommend buying a guide book for the trail before starting? I'll be in Pamplona for 2 nights at the start, and begin from there. I haven't got one yet. Some say to get one is a must, some say don't bother!
You won't need it to find your way. It's a personal preference!

Can you tell me if it is possible, without killing myself in the effort, to reach Pamplona by Saturday night if I stay in Orisson on Thursday night?
Possible, but not easy. [Edited. See later post!]

Last edited:
I do, not for finding your way but for understanding where you are and where you are heading. Understand the history makes these walks so much richer.

Can You tell me if it is possible, without killing myself in the effort, to reach Pamplona by Saturday night if I stay in Orisson on Thursday night?

I wouldn't want to try to walk from Roncesvalles to Pamplona in one day. Maybe you could bypass Roncesvalles and walk on further, as the walk over the Napoleon route is not that long when you have overnighted at Orisson. But then you would miss the evening service at Roncesvalles. Brierley says that its 21.9 km. from Roncesvalles to Zubiri and another 20.9 km. on to Pamplona. I have never walked more than 30 km. in a day on the camino and that was plenty for me and over easy ground. The only way I would attempt it would be by going on past Roncesvalles to Bizkarreta (11km. more) and staying at the pension Corazon Puro, then on to Pamplona the next day. That would divide the distance from Orisson to Pamplona approximately in two. But it would make for two very long and strenuous days. I believe that you are much younger than I. I walked my first camino last fall at the age of 67. So if you are in good condition it might be doable. Or stop at Roncesvalles, walk on as far as seems reasonable the next day, then take a taxi to your hotel in Pamplona. But if you have been following this forum for long you will know that persons who overdo it the first few days, especially the young or the athletic, are known for doing themselves an injury. I will say no more. I know that this is not what you want to hear and I have only walked one camino. Perhaps you should rely on the more experienced.

SJPP,r
Kanga, Are you leaving from SJPP on the 12th? I will be leaving that day too. Can You tell me if it is possible, without killing myself in the effort, to reach Pamplona by Saturday night if I stay in Orisson on Thursday night? I have a paid for reservation at Hotel Eslava for Saturday night. They won't let me change since I used Booking.com I don't think I can make it until Sunday night. Opinion?
SJPP to Pamplona in 3 days is the "standard" route: SJPP, Ronceslavelles, Zubiri, Pamplona.,And since you want to star day1 in Orisson, ot will be even easier.

SJPP,r

SJPP to Pamplona in 3 days is the "standard" route: SJPP, Ronceslavelles, Zubiri, Pamplona.,And since you want to star day1 in Orisson, ot will be even easier.
As I read it, Thursday night at Orisson and Saturday night at Hotel Eslava in Pamplona only allows one night (Friday) at either Roncesvalles, Zubiri or some point in between. Or am I missing something?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As I read it, Thursday night at Orisson and Saturday night at Hotel Eslava in Pamplona only allows one night (Friday) at either Roncesvalles, Zubiri or some point in between. Or am I missing something?
@Joodle - @Albertagirl is absolutely right. I miscalculated/misread the situation. You would want 2 days after Roncesvalles, one to Zubiri or thereabouts, another Pamplona. Are you sure you can't change on booking.com?

It could be done if you walked 30 km a day. I really, really wouldn't recommend it so early on the journey but it is up to you! It depends how 'fit' you are of course.
As an example, I'm hoping to walk:
Orisson to Espinal 19.8k
Espinal to Zuriáian 24.5
Then it is 11.8 k to Pamplona.
(All distances approx.!)
The first two days are pretty tough, because you're 'new'' to the walking and because of the terrain....If you add to that the weather could be difficult....

Last edited:

If you can not change your hotel reservation perhaps you might just ignore it. Absorb the cost and stay where you can comfortablely and safely arrive rather than anxiously trying to get to the hotel. There are many possible places to stop on the stretch from Zubiri to Pamplona. Check Gronze.com Etapa 3 for other possibilities.

Good luck and Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

i spoke with a woman who had volunteering at the pilgrim office at SJPP. She said there were over 450 pilgrims signing in--every bed in at Jean was filled.

Last edited:
Last year I walked the CF in September for the second time when it was very busy - I stayed between stages (Brierley stages) and had no problem with beds, I never booked forward and ended up meeting some lovely hospitaleros in smaller villages - worth considering when the route is busy

I'm hoping if I alter my stages and not stay in the favoured stage end towns I'll have better luck. :)

Haven't had to book any accommodation yet and for the last week, have been taking this approach and getting accommodation and missing the pilgrim convoy - so good idea

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am planning on walking with my son (who turns 16 on July 25th this year) starting in Roncesvalles on July 7. Not my preferred season to walk the Camino but it is when he is available. I heard it is more crowded since the last time I followed the Camino in the spring of 1989. I was hoping that be starting in mid-week I could cut down on the crowding a bit, but he post that started the thread was from someone who also arrived on Roncesvalles on a Thursday. Well, I guess I will just have to trust that "the Camino provides".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I am planing my first camino walk fronm july 4th 2016. I notice that a lot of pilgrims are talking about booking early . How does one go about that . I am looking for exactly that information as this will also help me show reservation for my visa documentation which is a must for people applying from india. Also is the crowds really large should i reconsider and travel some time later? what is the opinion from others in this forum.
Thanks much

To book ahead I usually phone the albergue/hotel or contact them through email if it is an option.
I am going in July too and have only booked a hotel for the first night in Bayonne (because my flight arrives late), the second night in Orisson (because in peak season it is a must) and finally the last night in Santiago.
I refuse to panic and book ahead other places as it is impossible to tell EXACTLY where I will be on which night. Even though I have walked this Camino before, this time I may feel like walking longer distances or have to walk shorter ones.
If it looks quite impossible to find a bed anywhere (and I still seriously doubt that...) I 'll switch to Plan B and walk somewhere else!
As for going at another time, why not of it is a possible option for you...it depends how worried you are going to be about finding a bed...

I am planing my first camino walk fronm july 4th 2016.
That is the start of the really busy season. Start early so that you can avoid the heat. Stop early so you can get a bed. Pamplona will be holding its San Fermin festival, so a bed in that area will be quite difficult, and you will not be able to transit the city until the streets are reopened after the bull run.

Stay relaxed, strategize, and enjoy the walk (and the people). It will be as good as you let it be (or as bad as your attitude makes it). :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To book ahead I usually phone the albergue/hotel or contact them through email if it is an option.
I am going in July too and have only booked a hotel for the first night in Bayonne (because my flight arrives late), the second night in Orisson (because in peak season it is a must) and finally the last night in Santiago.
I refuse to panic and book ahead other places as it is impossible to tell EXACTLY where I will be on which night. Even though I have walked this Camino before, this time I may feel like walking longer distances or have to walk shorter ones.
If it looks quite impossible to find a bed anywhere (and I still seriously doubt that...) I 'll switch to Plan B and walk somewhere else!
As for going at another time, why not of it is a possible option for you...it depends how worried you are going to be about finding a bed...
thanks for this ...could you share with me some of the email address to get a booking confirmation? I am doing these bookings more as a supporting document for my visa processing than to be sure i have a bed reserved. I personally would like to take it as it comes along cos i know each day will be different.

Have a nice day

gracyelezebeth,

Gronze.com has a handy list in Spanish for most accommodations on the Camino Frances. Organized by location citations in brown ink are pilgrim albergues and black ink regular tourist accomodation.
Tap each site to read the full description including booking contact addresses.
Additional inks to Booking.com
are also provided.

Michelin do a great one ..its very small and light ..With distances and most of stage info you need . You should find it online.

I have the Wise Pilgrim app on my phone, and Brierley's map only book, and that's enough. I threw my other guide book out about a week in, didn't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back