• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Washroom Breaks on the Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

santhi

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Guys! I am in my late 40s and have a weak bladder. I know how important it is to hydrate myself while on the Camino. However, I am terrified of feeling the urge to pee regularly while on the Camino. Is there anyone else who faced a similar situation? How did you handle it when there was no cafe or hostels around?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Duck into the woods, take your TP with you in a doggie bag. Don't leave a mess. NBD

I do the exact same. I've gotten real good at gauging if/when someone's coming and finding a bush/corner to duck behind. Takes all of 15 seconds. Bring compost baggies for used tp and toss baggie in the trash at the next village/town.

Last edited:
Oh I’ve got one of those and a King Charles (enlarged prostate for anyone who hasn’t been paying attention to UK news websites). The fact remains that if you are peeing above your normal frequency you are likely drinking too much water and thereby exposing yourself to electrolyte depletion and other unpleasantnesses.

For the OP, just put “TP” or Toilet Paper into the forum search engine and settle down for a long evenings browsing

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
However, I am terrified of feeling the urge to pee regularly while on the Camino. Is there anyone else who faced a similar situation? How did you handle it when there was no cafe or hostels around?
I would take a step back here, and suggest that you can do a lot to avoid the problem by using the toilet at a bar or cafe whenever you stop for a coffee, or perhaps even if you didn't. That has been my approach over the years.

If I do need to urinate when I am walking, I look for a more secluded spot where I might be able to do that more privately. When you do that, you might find that many others have had the same thought, and the place will obviously have been used previously. You don't have to add to that. If you do need to use TP or a tissue, be prepared with a ziploc or similar bag to take the paper with you to dispose of properly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So far on over 4000 km of Camino walking I haven't had to resort to going off trail once, though I know that many people do. It's definitely an easier process for men.
If you look at the Godesalco planner you will see that towns are very close together on the Camino Francés for the most part. There are two places where it's 17 km without services, and 5 places where it's between 8 and 16 km with no services. The key is to use services when they are available! Like when my kids were little and I told them to use the bathroom before a car trip whether they felt like they had to go or not.

Not sure why everyone's talking about TP for a bladder problem.
TP or toilet paper is used by women when we urinate. We don't tend to be able to shake it off. A bladder problem requiring frequent urination requires wiping with tissue or toilet paper and then packing it out in a baggy so that the forests are not dotted with soggy little clouds of paper. Hope that helps!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not sure why everyone's talking about TP for a bladder problem.
I think talking about TP because OP raised the question of what to do when she needs to urinate and a washroom is not available. For many women in that circumstance TP is used. And there are many reports of it being left behind on the more popular routes. Hence the suggestion that she be sure to take it with her. Was the connection really difficult to see?

@santhi at home I feel like I pee every 20 minutes and was worried about Camino. I brought a she-wee with me that allows me to stand to pee to avoid having to squat in the bushes. I have never had to use it but I bring it anyway just in case.

Most people step off the path and find a shielded area or have their walking companions create a shield. If you're in an area with no trees or shrubberies, your fellow pilgrims will generally avert their eyes to give you privacy.

TP or toilet paper is used by women when we urinate. We don't tend to be able to shake it off. A bladder problem requiring frequent urination requires wiping with tissue or toilet paper and then packing it out in a baggy so that the forests are not dotted with soggy little clouds of paper. Hope that helps!
Although I've yet to use it "in the wild" I carry a P-Style Female Urination Device, which has a "squeegee" effect to eliminate or reduce the need for paper.

P.S. I knew immediately that the OP was Canadian from the word "washroom" in the title. I married a Canadian guy, and on my first visit up to see him after we had met he took me to a very nice restaurant for lunch. When I asked the hostess where the bathroom was, she gave me a funny look, and said "oh, you mean the washroom?" I was quite embarrassed. 😄

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Although I've yet to use it "in the wild" I carry a P-Style Female Urination Device, which has a "squeegee" effect to eliminate or reduce the need for paper.
I've never used mine in the wild either! But I still bring it with me! Be Prepared is the Girl Guide's motto!

North American women often live their entire lives without ever having to squat and pee outdoors. While apparently many women successfully walk the Camino without having to do so, I am not one of them. So, I find a secluded spot out of sight if possible, and do what I need to do. I really have no choice. Please do not leave any toilet paper or feces on the ground.

I notice if/when I hike in heat and get rather sweaty, I rarely get an urge to "go", even though I am drinking an adequate amount of water. I always assume I must be sweating it out my pores instead.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I notice if/when I hike in heat and get rather sweaty, I rarely get an urge to "go", even though I am drinking an adequate amount of water. I always assume I must be sweating it out my pores instead.
Absolutely. I started my first Camino in late August, and it was hot. I drank plenty of water but rarely had to take a "pee break" as I was dripping with sweat. Then the weather cooled, and suddenly I was feeling a full bladder much more often!

I reflected on my earlier response. Squatting in the woods to pee is almost a daily occurrence for me. I have dogs, we go for long walks, there are lots of woods and very few toilets. So, my NBD response was relative to my experience. If you are not exaggerating and are truly "terrified" of needing to pee with no services in sight, it's possible that this kind of travel is not for you. Though I understand the Frances is more serviced than the path I walked.

Hi Guys! I am in my late 40s and have a weak bladder. I know how important it is to hydrate myself while on the Camino. However, I am terrified of feeling the urge to pee regularly while on the Camino. Is there anyone else who faced a similar situation? How did you handle it when there was no cafe or hostels around?

Just make sure you use the bathroom (USA) washroom (Cad) toilet (Oz)
when you get up and don’t rush off before ‘going’ again.
My bad habit is lingering with a coffee or tea and maybe more than one ——.

Then, no matter how many times I’ve use the bathroom before I go ., I’m feeling the need almost immediately!
So my suggestion would be to lay off the coffee or tea until 2nd breakfast … if you picture yourself needing to find a tree in a hurry.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the CdF while on medications for kidney stones that made me pee frequently. And I tend to drink a lot of water anyway. I didn't have any problems finding a place to go, but I'm a dude and that makes things a bit easier.

One exception: I passed through Pamplona and used a restroom at a cafe. I had used a facility that was (not very apparently) pay-to-pee. A woman who I think was the cafe owner was a bit exercised that I did not pay in advance. I paid, bought a Coke, provided copious apologies to no effect, and moved on. I suspect other things were going on at that cafe on that particular morning and I was just the last straw. That was, I think, a unique circumstance and I've never heard of anyone else having that problem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

My wife was worried about this on her first Camino.
I kid you not, she must pee 20+ times a day!
If we go out for the day we often take our campervan not the car, as it has a toilet!
I think you get the picture.............she pees a lot. :rolleyes:

So the first Camino.
20 minutes into the walk she is asking where the next bathroom / cafe is.
About 2 hours I say.
She says she'll try to hang on.
You can imagine the look on her face.
Though it's not like we didn't discuss this.........at length, whilst planning.

5 minutes later we are looking for a suitable bush, well off the path!

She rejoins me on the path with a big smile of relief.
"Well that wasn't too bad" :)

We worked out a 'system' afer that, whereby she would try to give me 5 minutes notice so that I could find a suitable discrete bush or whatever.
As others have said, don't pick the obvious ones! :oops:
She would duck off the trail 5-6 times a day as well as the cafe stops.

Pat would use a small cloth rather than TP.
And keep that in a ziplock bag to be washed each night.
Any TP if used, would be bagged and disposed of later.

I'm glad she got used to it OK, as 'holding on' is hard for some people and probbaly not good for you.

… we are looking for a suitable bush, well off the path!
That’s not always possible. I recall a very long stretch of track, in the early days of the Francés, bordered on each side by fences and impenetrable bushes where all one could hope for is a bend in the path to afford one a bit of privacy. In such a case one would be fortunate to have a companion watching for peregrinos coming up behind, while counting down the seconds left before discovery.

And then one has to pretend the little puddle in the path was there all along. 🙃

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, well I’m in my mid 60’s so yes, I plan on dodging behind any bushes I can find! I’m bringing a Kula cloth. Not sure where you’re from but they sell them at REI in the U.S. it is an anti microbial cloth you can hang on your pack to dry and easy to wash out later. If you bring TP, be sure to bring a ziploc bag for disposal! Buen Camino!

P.S. I knew immediately that the OP was Canadian from the word "washroom" in the title. I married a Canadian guy, and on my first visit up to see him after we had met he took me to a very nice restaurant for lunch. When I asked the hostess where the bathroom was, she gave me a funny look, and said "oh, you mean the washroom?" I was quite embarrassed. 😄
Yup. Here it is a bathroom in a home and a washroom in a public building.

When caught out, just adapt to go in the nature as most of us do. You will get used to it and find it's really no big deal. Practice on local nature walks in the comfort of your own environment before you leave, if it helps? Just a thought..

I suppose my apologies are in order. You have a good point. As someone who suffers from Crohn’s Disease, I guess I get a little protective of others who suffer from chronic problems such as ours. I’ll try and behave myself.
You have nothing to opologise for in my view, for what its worth. I felt your comments were fair.

Mr. Tinker has been around the forum for a bit.... and does (from time to time) become a bit edgy.
Maybe when you have had a longer chance to observe the forum you will find the compassion to give him some extra allowance in the snarky ass behavior area.

The rest of us have had to do this for a decade.
Why?
Yes, @Tincatinker can be the forum snarkmaster, but he can also be a compassionate and wise voice. You just have to wade through some sarcasm to get there.😉
I agree completely, some of his posts are truly worthwhile. He has given a lot of valuable advice over the years.
Perhaps those of you who have been on the forum for many years see his sarcasm for what it is.

But sarcasm or inappropriate comments that some of you excuse as his 'jokes' directed at newcomers to the forum are wrong. Especially when they ask a perfectly legitimate, even rather sensitive question as the OP has done here!

YOU may read them as jokes, I seldom do. At best I find them irrelevant, sometimes annoying and occasionally downright insensitive. How many others, especially those more sensitive than I, are negatively impacted?
Such remarks are far more likely to discourage people to participate. The forum needs newcomers, judging by the average age of the regular posters it needs more younger people. Sarcasm / snarkiness is not the way to encourage them.
You have nothing to apologise for in my view, for what its worth. I felt your comments were fair.
I concur. I, myself should have called him out earlier.

I concur. I, myself should have called him out earlier.
Doubly unnecessary considering that he later posts that he has a prostrate issue and so therefore could have been more understanding. It would have been a perfect opportunity for some of his 'wise advice'.
I have to agree. This is a serious issue for some people, and possibly for @Tincatinker too if he really does have a prostate issue - a 'King Charles'. I immediately sympathised with the OP. It is hard to admit that an issue with peeing might stop you from undertaking a camino. My prostate almost ended my 2023 camino. It is an embarrasing condition, and not one I really want to write about on a public forum. The OP was brave to do so, although I recognise that I am unaware of what might cause this issue in a female. I remember a nightmare situation in the albergue in Estella when I had to creep around all night to continuously relieve myself: (Oh for the luxury of a private room). My prostate problem had become acute, exacerbated (unknown to me at the time) by an unsuitable saddle on my bike. I thought the reason might be that my medication for the the condition was not working because of the effects of temperature. By the time I arrived at Luquin I was terrified at the prospect of being more than 30 minutes away from a toilet. My extremely caring hospitalero took me to hospital, and that's another story.

The OP was brave to do so, although I recognise that I am unaware of what might cause this issue in a female.
Well, let me explain it to you being a 54 year old / young female myself : changes in the hormonal household. And general ailments etc.

M/W/X tend to get older in the same way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just the ladies.
My bad, i replied right after the king charles prostate comment and had in my head the op was male.

As for uncomfortable pressure on the bladder, fortunately i don't have that problem (at least not yet) but I can't relax if i even slightly need to go #1 when I'm out for a walk, in bed, or sitting down to a meal. With respect to the op (and i know for some people there can be pain or even an emergency), but i think many people get so used to going for a pee at every opportunity that it feels uncomfortable to not have a completely empty bladder, if that makes sense.

Well I can pee for Britain, but one thing I found was that although I was drinking lots of water the very fact of walking in the warmth/heat meant that I actually needed to go less than I would at home.

@Tincatinker I very much appreciate your humour and vast knowledge with which it is often delivered, please don't change. The world is so beautiful because we are all so different, and forums such as this need that and are richer for it.

Well I can pee for Britain, but one thing I found was that although I was drinking lots of water the very fact of walking in the warmth/heat meant that I actually needed to go less than I would at home.

@Tincatinker I very much appreciate your humour and vast knowledge with which it is often delivered, please don't change. The world is so beautiful because we are all so different, and forums such as this need that and are richer for it.
Amen to that one.
Diversity on the Camino also includes Diversity on the forum.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are times I am disappointed in this forum...no more so than reading through this thread.
I have never, ever been offended by any of the posts by the member mentioned in this thread. I am more offended by the "straw man"criticisms aimed at him by others.
I rejoice and enjoy the quirkiness and individuality that is displayed and long may it continue.
Orujo all round.

Last edited:

It neves ceases to amaze me that the Camino nowadays involves planes, traines and automobiles, internet, smartphones, apps and forums, electrolytes, energy bars, lightweight sleepingbags, performance fabrics and special towels and a ton of other technical innovations .... and still remains authentic....

yet when nature calls, it somehow always leads to a medieval stop in nature when no servicios are available.

The good news is that this problem has long been solved in the non-Camino part of the world.

First, go see your GP about this.

Second, companies like Depend and Allways offer a wide range of protective products and underwear, ranging from protection from a few drops, a permanent drizzle to a true downpour.

These products are readily availabe in farmacias and stores like El Corte Inglés.

No need to feel terrified, santhi! You will be in control and a lot happier because of that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back