• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

what Camera option are people using

kiwijim

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi team
My wife and i are walking the Camino next may. On our regular travel adventures I am a keen amateur photographer ( but not very good), i was wondering what everyone is using for photo purposes as I dont want to cart my regular gear. Are most people using their phone or what is the latest /best option for me to consider.
Thanks Jim

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mobile phones are very good but you probably find that their functionality and choice of settings is very limited. Have you thought about a top end compact camera? Sony, Canon, Nikon Lumix and Fujica (i.e. the usual suspects) all make good versions that literally fit into a pocket. I´ve used a Sony RX100 and a Lumix TZ1000 and been happy with both.

Hi team
My wife and i are walking the Camino next may. On our regular travel adventures I am a keen amateur photographer ( but not very good), i was wondering what everyone is using for photo purposes as I dont want to cart my regular gear. Are most people using their phone or what is the latest /best option for me to consider.
Thanks Jim
I left my camera gear at home, and just used my phone camera. 2 reasons: equipment weight, and security. The weight aspect is an obvious concern, but another consideration for me was that I’d be staying in albergues and shared dorms the vast majority of the time, and expensive camera gear would be a concern every time I stepped away from my pack.

Factors to think about: are you carrying your pack, rather than using baggage transfers? Are you staying in shared or private accommodation?

i was ok with the snappy snaps I took with my phone for sharing with friends and posting on FindPenguins. But it did make me realise my iphone 11 desperately needs upgrading! I decided I’d love to do a Camino in the future where I could work on photo essays - and accordingly take a body and a couple of small primes, or my Leica Q with its fixed 28mm lens (the lightest gear I have). But my main driver for that would be wanting to do portrait photography of people I met along the way - so quite specific.

For a first Camino, I’d just use your phone camera as I did. It allows you to experience every aspect of the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are most people using their phone or what is the latest /best option for me to consider.
Hi Jim. Up until very recently I had always used a compact camera - one of the higher end ones @dick bird mentioned. I am no photographer - but I didn’t like the limitations of the phone camera. And I don’t upgrade my phone regularly either - could never justify the cost.

But … recently the planets aligned and it was time for a new camera and a phone upgrade. So, instead of buying a camera, I bought an iPhone 14, thinking of it more as a camera purchase than a phone purchase. Still not the same as a camera, but I have been very happy with the quality of the photos and the convenience! 😎

Thanks everyone. Your suggestions are inline with what I suspected Simperegrina unfortunately I suspect this will be our one and only Camino Otherwise I would be thinking like you. Age and distance will take care of that I suspect. thanks everyone

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For the last 8 years I have used my phone.
For photos and video.
It's not quite as good as a Camera, but the new phones are close, allow Bokeh effect etc
I carry a tiny Gorilla pod tripod and a wired mic.

You can see the results in the Blog links in my sig.
or here: https://robscamino.com/gallery/
I don't find the camera the limitation, it's my ability to compose a great photo! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As Robert Capa said ¨if your pictures aren´t good enough, you aren´t close enough¨. I don´t think I get close enough.
I just take boring pictures LOL
It's all about getting the right composition........ :rolleyes:
Which I suspect involves getting closer much of the time!

I suppose though, I use photos and videos, to record my journey rather than anything more creative. :oops:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't find the camera the limitation, it's my ability to compose a great photo! :rolleyes:
I know what you mean. ☺️ I have a friend (Australian) who runs courses for U3A (University of the Third Age) including mastering mobile phone photography. She is also a forum member. And she takes great photos.😎

I know what you mean. ☺️ I have a friend (Australian) who runs courses for U3A (University of the Third Age) including mastering mobile phone photography. She is also a forum member. And she takes great photos.😎
Maybe she could run a class for Forum members? :)
I'd sign up.

Somebody once said "The best camera is the one you have with you".
On the Camino i have other things in my mind than worrying about carrying a camera with me. If i want to take a picture of "somewhat decent" quality my phone is enough. If i want to look at high quality pictures of the Camino, plenty have been taken before by others.
So i do not see a point of carrying a camera (or even a drone) with me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi team
Thanks Jim
We recently (2022) walked the Via Francigena and while reducing weight was a major consideration for us and we purchased some new gear to reduce it, we also purchased, and carried, a Sony RX100 M7 each.

Modern phones are fabulous for quick photos, for not being obvious and for low light photography. However, they can't match the larger sensor and optical zoom of even a compact camera.

Each to their own, but for us the extra weight was worth carrying for 2,000 kms. Others will be happy with a different choice (I previously carried and OMD 10 and loved it but for the Via Francigena decided to sacrifice the extra sensor real estate to reduce some weight).

Hope this is helpful.

Michael
If you want to see some of the images we took, they're published on our blog our-wanderlust.com

Last edited:
I use my travelcamera which fits in my pocket or I can hang on my belt (Lumix 200z) Last camino my camera fell on the floor and I had to take pictures with my phone. For " daily use" those were good enough. I make a " photobook" of my camino's. When I enlarged ( parts of) a picture the differents in quality were clear.
I have no " high end" phone though and in some situations the phone was handier in taking " snapshots"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
kiwijim, yes nearly everyone on the CF now is just using a smartphone. It's a lightweight practical solution and high end smartphones like Pelerina's iphone 14 produce stunning results with minimal skills required. With their wide-angle lenses and optical zooms you have a small and effective camera kit in a phone.
As an old skool enthusiast I enjoy the process of framing and focussing through an optical viewfinder or waist level finder. But that's generally a process that takes a little longer.
But this might be your only camino.. And if you plan to take it at a leisurely rate and savour it, then maybe it's worth taking some additional gear, like something with a viewfinder. If you go down the RX100 route, be sure to test it thoroughly first as a lot of people (including me) find its operation to be a miserable experience.
My wildcard suggestion would be: take as high end a smartphone as you can afford, and alongside this take either a robust compact travel film camera like an Olympus XA or a cheap plastic or disposable film camera/s loaded with ISO 200. And then just pull out the film camera for additional/special shots.
Some of my all time favourite atmospheric camino pics were taken with disposable film cameras (usually on bright sunny days!).

I was due a phone upgrade and so bought one with my Camino this year in mind.
I mainly use my phone as a camera and for internet access but selected it based on the camera reviews.
I got the Samsung S22 Ultra. It's a big phone, but I liked the large screen for web use, navigation etc.
And the camera is really good.
Like many new phone cameras, lots of features and also shoots in raw (just saw @Roland49 post below)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got the Samsung S22 Plus. It's a big phone, but I liked the large screen for web use, navigation etc.
I’m an Apple devotee, though sometimes feel more like a captive. 😉 . My husband won’t go near Apple anything ☺️ and he loves cameras. But he underwent the same transition as I did at the same time - now using phone as camera when walking. He has a Samsung - not the biggest / latest but photo functionality and quality are excellent. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
I take a my phone and a high end compact on my travels lately. 99% of the photos I share and use for my post Camino/Travel memory books are from the phone. My camera, either a Fuji X100v or a GRiii is in my waist pack or pocket ready to use, but it usually only comes out a night, or very lowlight conditions like sunsets and sunrises or dark spaces. They both fit in a zip lock bag for showering. Truthfully a phone camera is all you need for a Camino. I take my other camera because I enjoy it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm planning on using hotels, etc only for my Camino -

I'll probably find a way to bring my not particularly valuable DSLR and have it tucked away in bag that's not too camera-shaped. It survived a trip to Egypt and Jordan last year, hopefully it will return from Türkiye and Greece next year !

I use my phone camera for taking pictures; whatever model I have at the time. I think for those who enjoy using a camera with special features or an upgraded smart phone, it is rewarding hobby for them. I am not bothered if my photos are a bit of a lesser quality because their main purpose is to remind me of precious memories experienced along the way.

Had an iphone 11 last year and an iphone 14 Pro this year. I was extremely happy with my photos. Easy and quick to use. I don't think my photos would have been better with a digital camera.

Mobile phones are very good but you probably find that their functionality and choice of settings is very limited. Have you thought about a top end compact camera? Sony, Canon, Nikon Lumix and Fujica (i.e. the usual suspects) all make good versions that literally fit into a pocket. I´ve used a Sony RX100 and a Lumix TZ1000 and been happy with both.
I agree. I also used the Sony RX100 and it worked great! I brought an extra battery, but never used/needed it.

For the last 8 years I have used my phone.
For photos and video.
It's not quite as good as a Camera, but the new phones are close, allow Bokeh effect etc
I carry a tiny Gorilla pod tripod and a wired mic.

You can see the results in the Blog links in my sig.
or here: https://robscamino.com/gallery/
I wouldn't worry about your photos, they're great ans so clear. What phone were you using?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was due a phone upgrade and so bought one with my Camino this year in mind.
I mainly use my phone as a camera and for internet access but selected it based on the camera reviews.
I got the Samsung S22 Plus. It's a big phone, but I liked the large screen for web use, navigation etc.
Like many new phone cameras, lots of features and also shoots in raw (just saw @Roland49 post below)
Hi team
Thanks Jim
I bought a Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 for my Camino, rather than carry my larger camera. It’s very compact and I kept it in my waist pouch, where I could get it out quickly. It does not have interchangeable lenses, but has a 30x zoom, which enabled me to photograph birds. However, I did not really learn to use it before I left home and sometimes got frustrated and had to get out the manual. I didn’t get to finish the walk, due to an injury. When I go back next year, I’ve decided to just carry a phone. The newest Samsung, to come out in a couple of months, is reputed to have a 20x optical zoom. Meanwhile, my Lumix is listed on Ebay…

Hi team
Thanks Jim
This has been a big question for me too, what camera to take. I won't get to go on my camino for a while so I've been going back and forth, but the best advice I read on the web was don't take anything you can't afford to loose. I was debating with my options, my nikon z50, my pixel 7pro, or getting a smaller Sony RX100 to take. Since you need to carry your valuables with you at all times I plan for all my valuables to fit into a bumbag/fanny pack that I'll use in towns but can wear with my pack on so I can reach my camera while hiking. I've been doing this as I train at home to try different options. I have a panasonic lumix that is approximately the size of the Sony, but the camera is not as good, but I can use it for testing. Funny thing is the z50 with lens cost less than getting a sony so I'd rather take the z50 except for the wight. One thing I've locked in on is the phone alone won't cut it for me. I will be traveling more than just in Spain, so I really want something that zooms. So far the z50 works well, fitting into a 3liter fanny pack. I may change my mind but for now, that with the phone is the plan, but the important point is be ready to carry it with you at all times. Even to the bathroom/shower/while eating/hiking/sleeping/etc.

Hi team
Thanks Jim
Just use your phone. But before you go familiarize yourself with all its capabilities and practice using them. Whatever you decide stick with one device.

That's one of the reasons I like that my phone comes with a 10x optical zoom lens. :)
I have always loved having a big camera around. But the more I travel. I am tired of going back-and-forth back and forth with phone or small camera or my big camera.

A very good friend of mines Husband is a professional photographer and he travels all over the world. And one thing he told me about 10 years ago was that his best camera was his iPhone. His big bulky camera is for still shots. When he's in an area that that's all he needs. He said that having his iPhone was the best thing because he can capture things instantaneously.

After he said that I was sold. That's all I cared about when I bought a phone was How good is my camera? I have always been a Samsung user with my phone's. And I recently had an S22 Ultra and the camera was phenomenal. I could walk out from work and take a picture of the moon and it was just like one of the pictures from NASA And they are pristine.

I recently upgraded my phone to the Galaxy 5Z Fold. So I now have a tablet style phone with the same camera. It has basically like 10 lenses on it. Including a front facing camera so when I take selfies. I'm getting a real front facing camera. I'm not getting a rear-facing camera With a distorted backwards view. It's amazing. I can still take pictures of the moon. I can take pictures in dark light And any kind of light, My phone camera automatically dims or suggests the different kind of lighting and it takes fabulous videos.

My son plays soccer and this is my go to camera. I can set it up on a single tripod. I can set it up on a big tripod. I can take zoom photos. He's a soccer goalie. So I sit way up at the top of this and so I can get a full field view. And I can just watch It through the screen. The zoom is amazing plus while I'm videoing I can Snap a picture in between. And then when I go back and I'm watching a video. And if there was a picture that I want I can just snap a shot. It is amazing. No need to go by an extra camera and carry it and try to fumble with everything else. Using panorama is a real game changer as well.

Which I can there and go from one side? Hit the panorama All the way to the Left Then move all the way to the right or. all the way around me. And I can have an entire panoramic picture in one take. I don't understand what people are talking about. With the limited settings on these cameras. I think those are people who just really don't get into How to use them. Plus you have in phone tutorial on how to use your camera. The camera itself These have more capabilities than the hanheld's. You can also do all your editing sharing transferring. And anything else you want right there on your phone. And you're able to take just As good Of pictures. There Aren't very many multifunctional buttons on your phone. You know what you got to do Because you're use phone every day. You don't have to go-between multiple menus. Sometimes on those compact cameras, Unless you really know what you're doing and read About it. You have too many options. There are also plenty of YouTube videos and you can take simple YouTube video classes about your camera on your phone. Don't get too complicated your Camino should be nice and smooth. You have enough things to worry about.

Just take a picture, enjoy yourself. Don't worry about taking flawless videos, and if you can't, like someone said, There are so many other videos and pictures out there. I'm sharing some photos I took last week to show close ups, indoors, outside in sunlight, brightness of colors, and movement of animals. They don't look very good in this thumbnail. But I can't help the upload. Good luck Buen Camino.

Attachments

• 20231027_175947.mp4
    30.4 MB
  • IMG_20231106_174801_01.jpg
    IMG_20231106_174801_01.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231104_134105.jpg
    20231104_134105.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
  • 20231104_134003.jpg
    20231104_134003.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 20231104_141200.jpg
    20231104_141200.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20231103_162906.jpg
    20231103_162906.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
  • 20231028_143928.jpg
    20231028_143928.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20231027_183051.jpg
    20231027_183051.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
An excellent choice if they have optical zoom and WiFi connectivity to your phone to allow download of photos and backup.
I have used a Nikon one for years

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just taking a phone is potentially quite liberating. If I take a 'proper camera' I'm liable to faff around trying to get 'good photos', instead of appreciating the moment.

Remember to take plenty of photos of the great people you'll meet. A year later, they'll be far more meaningful than yet another view of a nice cathedral/church/landscape etc.

For those who definitely prefer to use their mobile for photography and those who like their mobile's photos but don't like the physical interface do a Google search for
device to turn phone into camera -security
You'll find extra lenses, grips and other doodads.

A quality mobile phone works very well for taking pictures, it is an amazing multi purpose tool. However I also bring a compact camera with a 40X zoom. I have it on my belt. It is the size of small hamburger. The 40X zoom opens up a whole new world of pictures that even the best cell phones cannot touch.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just taking a phone is potentially quite liberating. If I take a 'proper camera' I'm liable to faff around trying to get 'good photos', instead of appreciating the moment.

Remember to take plenty of photos of the great people you'll meet. A year later, they'll be far more meaningful than yet another view of a nice cathedral/church/landscape etc.
And I like that I can take little video interviews about people and get addresses or Facebook info so I can immediately share photos with them. I love my conventional camera..as u said I would much around trying to get the right photo.

Hi team
Thanks Jim
Hi. I'm an amateur photographer too. I chose to upgrade to an iPhone 14 a couple of months before hitting the Camino and was thrilled with it. I used that time pre-Camino to take an online class to acquaint myself with all the new features and how to best use them. I am happy to report that my photos are wonderful and the quality is great. If you go this route, I would recommend getting the usual screen protector along with a Zagg case and an additional cover for the lenses. I rarely drop my phone, but on the Camino, what with loose pockets, swinging my backpack around to put it on, top bunks, etc., my phone fell a number of times on concrete, tiles, and rocks! When I came home last month, I went to the Zagg kiosk at the shopping center where I bought them, and they replaced the screen protector and lens protector (both of which got damaged) for $10. The lenses and screen are perfectly fine and I adore my camera! Oh, I mean, I adore my phone!

First Camino in '18 I took my Canon 6D full frame with 18-35mm. Ugh - too heavy and not terribly discrete. I returned home with more photos from my mobile. Second Camino in '21 I just took my mobile (S21+) and the DJI Pocket 2 for video/vlogging, and was extremely happy with the results. I've just ordered the newly released Pocket 3 with creator combo which I think is the ultimate travel/vlogging kit. I will take that with me for video next year. I'm still on the fence for upgrading my mobile.

TL;DR: I'm using my mobile for still photography.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have always loved having a big camera around. But the more I travel. I am tired of going back-and-forth back and forth with phone or small camera or my big camera. A very good friend of mines. Husband is a professional photographer and he travels all over the world. And one thing he told me about 10 years ago was that his best camera was his iPhone set. His big bulky camera is for still shots. When he's in an area that that's all he needs. He said that having his iPhone or just his camera phone was the best thing because he can capture things instantaneously. And he can do videos and you have the control. Because you're the one moving it. You don't have a bounce, you don't have a blur. Did the camera in that phone is one of the best things you can get. After he said that I was sold. That's all I cared about when I bought a phone with. How good is my camera? I have always been a Samsung user with my phone's. And I recently had an S22 Ultra and the camera was phenomenal. I could walk out from work and take a picture of the moon and it was just like one of the pictures from NASA And they are pristine. I recently upgraded my phone to the Galaxy 5Z Fold. So I now have a tablet style phone with the same camera. It has basically like 10 lenses on it. Including a front facing camera so when I take selfies. I'm getting a real front facing camera. I'm not getting a rear-facing camera With a distorted backwards view. It's amazing. I can still take pictures of the moon. I can take pictures in dark light And any kind of light, especially the sunlight. My phone camera automatically dims or suggests the different kind of lighting. I take it takes fabulous videos. My son plays soccer and this is my go to camera. I can set it up on a single tripod. I can set it up on a big tripod. I can take zoom photos. He's a soccer goalie. So I sit way up at the top of this and so I can get a full field view. And I can just watch It through the screen. The zoom is amazing plus while I'm videoing I can Snap a picture in between. And then when I go back and I'm watching a video. And if there was a picture that I want I can just snap it while I'm watching my video. It is amazing. No need to go by an extra camera and carry it and try to fumble with everything else. The Passport is having a panorama. Which I can there and go from one side? Hit the panorama All the way to the Left Then move all the way to the right or. all the way around me. And I can have an entire panoramic picture in one take. I don't understand what people are talking about. With the limited settings on these cameras. I think those are people who just really don't get into How to use them. Plus you haven't in phone tutorial on how to use your camera. The camera itself These have more capabilities than the hanheld's. You can also do all your editing sharing transferring. And anything else you want right there on your phone. And you're able to take just As good Of pictures. The sound quality individuals are just as good as any other video camera. You don't have to sit there and fumble with tiny little buttons that you don't understand goes to what there are. There Aren't very many multifunctional buttons on your phone. You know what you got to do Because you're use phone every day. You can pick The phone button get up from your main screen. Hit that camera button and roll with it. You don't have to go-between multiple menus. Sometimes on those compact cameras, Unless you really know what you're doing and read About it. You have too many options. There are also plenty of YouTube videos and you can take simple YouTube video classes about your camera on your phone. Don't get too complicated your Camino should be nice and smooth. You have enough things to worry about. Just take a picture, enjoy yourself. Don't worry about taking flawless videos, and if you can't, like someone said, There are so many other videos and pictures out there. I'm sharing some photos I took last week to show close ups, indoors, outside in sunlight, brightness of colors, and movement of animals. They don't look very good in this thumbnail. But I can't help the upload. Good luck Buen Camino.
Thanks so much for your reply. Buen Camino

On the 2018 CF, I had my Nikon DSLR (2018) and my Samsung Note 4 but I found the DSLR an easier device to use. With the DSLR, I took (1,000s) more photographs than with the phones because of the simplicity of the DSLR -- in one single move I can remove the camera, remove the lens, turn it on and zoom in on that candid shot.

Last year, I wanted to try only having the Samsung Fold 3 from Porto to Santiago and reverse Santiago to O'Cebriero, and I can say I missed my DSLR. Before going on my 2018 CF I tried several solutions (have to thank Amazon for their return policies) and settled on the chest harness. Taking the camera off or replacing it on the harness did not require any special effort - just one smooth motion. It has a short strap to secure the camera in case of a drop (it would only dangle at my waist if dropped) and the camera did not swing from side to side; it was so secure that at Sarria, our Camino family had an impromptu uphill race with our packs and hiking boots....the camera stayed where it belonged, against the chest, as my arms were pumping wildly up and down and I huffed and puffed up the incline. And another benefit is I did not notice the full-sized camera weight all day long.

As @JFlores stated, the DSLR is not discrete. But I have over 7,000 images from 2018 after culling while I have about 300 images from 2022, the rest are in my soft memory that others can't see.

Are most people using their phone or what is the latest /best option for me to consider.
I don't know that anyone would be able to tell you, and I would disbelieve anyone who did try. Not that what they say is necessarily incorrect, just that I don't think many of us walk the camino as some sort of data collection activity to answer questions like that.

That said, I don't think it is important. If you are just following the crowd, rather than examining your own specific requirements, you won't be making the best choice for you. From the responses so far, there seems to be the broad spectrum one might expect, from relying on a smartphone, through some form of compact camera, to carrying a full sized, SLR style, camera. When I speak to people at my local camino group about why they have chosen where they are on this spectrum, those who choose to carry a separate camera have put some thought into their own needs.

So if you have already thought through that for your other photography needs, you already have a head start on this.

What I would say is that modern smartphones have come a long way since I first made the choice to carry a compact camera, over 10 years ago. In most instances, they can do all the things that I might want to do, albeit on a very small sensor and with limited options for optical zoom using the full sensor coverage. I still carry a now rather old compact, an Olympus SZ-16 from circa 2014. It serves me well. There are several more 'modern' equivalents, but none with that many additional features to prompt me to 'upgrade'.

ps I presume you already have a workflow for your digital photography with your current camera setup. You might try putting some images taken with your smartphone through that workflow, and making an assessment of whether you will be happy with the image quality after any image manipulation you might normally do to prepare images for publishing in larger formats than a smartphone screen.

Last edited:
Granted smart phone cameras have come along way, but for the little extra weight, I still find it worth carrying an actual camera.
I do have a full size Canon with multiple lenses but for travel I carry a compact Canon G9X. It has a larger than normal sensor than most compact cameras so is very good in low light conditions with an f2 lense.
I have been very happy with it and comparing my shots with my wife's Samsung smart phone, the picture quality really is quite a bit better.
I have it in a small case logic case that is strapped to one of the front straps of my back pack,so it is easily accessible while on the go.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A quality mobile phone works very well for taking pictures, it is an amazing multi purpose tool. However I also bring a compact camera with a 40X zoom. I have it on my belt. It is the size of small hamburger. The 40X zoom opens up a whole new world of pictures that even the best cell phones cannot touch.
I'll have to look into that.
Thanks so much for your reply. Buen Camino
Buen Camino

Samsung S22 Ultra.
I like Samsung as the cameras have great software.
They enhance the colours and brightness.
When you look through the lens, it looks better than the real scene somehow :rolleyes:
The one challenge I have with my Samsung (S23 Ultra) and the Samsungs before it is capturing a sunrise or sunset. The colours seem to be diminished rather than enhanced. Any tips?

The one challenge I have with my Samsung (S23 Ultra) and the Samsungs before it is capturing a sunrise or sunset. The colours seem to be diminished rather than enhanced. Any tips?
You've almost certainly got your camera set to auto white balance. So your camera is 'correcting' the orange hue. To enhance colours, set WB to cloudy. Maybe even set colours to vivid, depending on your tastes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my iphone, I tap the screen where the sun is or for stained glass windows. It focuses on that point then.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I had wondered when asking the question whether I would hear that a go pro or similar would get plenty of mention. But such devices haven't featured. Thanks again
Jim

I always shoot in Raw (+jpeg) format and correct the RAW DNG image file in post-process. You can't get around the limitations of such a small sensor in a mobile phone, but you can get the most out of your photos that way. You can find the setting to enable Raw format in your settings under, Advanced Picture Options> Pro Mode Picture Format > Raw and JPEG formats. Note that file sizes will be much larger as you are capturing more data (color) in the DNG RAW format than the compressed jpeg format, and they must be edited and exported using your favorite photo app, and in whatever acceptable format you want, e.g. jpeg, png, etc, before sharing to most photo sharing sites.

I shot the attached sunrise photo with my S21+ just before crossing into Galicia. I'm pretty pleased with it and it is fairly indicative of all of the sunrise and sunset photos I took. Note: all PRO settings were set to default) I suspect your S23 Ultra should produce an even better photo with it's 200MP resolution vs the 64MP in my S21+. Cheers and good luck.

Attachments

• 20211008_085105.jpg
    20211008_085105.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 41
Hi team
Thanks Jim
After 4 caminos the best camera I took was a Sony A6000 with the standard zoom lens. I used my phone sometimes - it was ok. The Sony is discontinued and now cheap used, or the more current versions are A6100, A6400, A6700. It takes APS-C images at 24 MPX which means there is a lot of Dynamic Range and lots of pixels to work with. The kit lens was good for digital images. And for printing up to 11x14 - which is way beyond what a camera phone can do. You can edit in Snapseed or whatever works for you with lots of pixels to crop. I mostly shot on automatic and auto-focus. The auto-focus was really excellant. It was light, easy to use and I just threw it into the back of my backpack. The attached image is from that camera.
ALSO people who have used the Pansonic LX have been very pleased. It is a little smaller with more automatic functions.

Attachments

• 2016 LIghthouse Fisterre  CR Title DN.jpg
    2016 LIghthouse Fisterre CR Title DN.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 34
I did briefly consider taking a go pro…but (and this is just my opinion) my go pro 7 comes into its own when shooting fast moving action, underwater etc…none of which I anticipated on Camino…

I had a DJI Osmo Pocket 1 on my CF and used it only 2 or 3 times, than I stuffed it away at the bottom of my b/p.
Very good tiny camera, met another fellow pilgrim in Hopital de Orbigo filming on the bridge with an identical camera. We had a good laugh.

€60,-
From personal experience, I have found even the most blurry, rubbish photos I have taken can happily remind me of that exact moment on my caminos. The last 2 i have taken a small compact digital along with my samsung smart phone and been happy with the results.

I have a Note 20 and I do what @Jodean suggested: set my focus to the sky. That also sets the light metering to the sky. If that doesn't do it, then I tilt the camera to get in more sky, so the metering balance is more sky friendly. I use the Snapseed app to edit the photo. Most good editing apps let you lower the highlights and or lower the overall brightness, as well as enhance the saturation to get more color. Semi pro tip: adjust a parameter to what you think you like and then back it off because its always a bit too much the first time.

If that doesn't do it, or shooting RAW on the phone and editing it doesn't do it, then you need to get what my wife calls a big boy camera.

It takes APS-C images at 24 MPX which means there is a lot of Dynamic Range and lots of pixels to work with. The kit lens was good for digital images. And for printing up to 11x14 - which is way beyond what a camera phone can do.
My phone camera routinely takes pictures at 50 MPX and I can set it to 200 MPX. I will admit I haven't tried printing at 11×14 but my photos look great at 12x12 and I expect they would look fine at 11x14 or larger.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My phone camera routinely takes pictures at 50 MPX and I can set it to 200 MPX. I will admit I haven't tried printing at 11×14 but my photos look great at 12x12 and I expect they would look fine at 11x14 or larger.
Isn't the sensor size the determining factor of dynamic range quality? Upsizing pixel count using internal software helps but it all starts with the native image. Sensors in camera phones are pretty small (doesn't mean they aren't good).

So true so true. It's the people that make the memories.

I have a feeling that Ivar might start a whole new trend! At least in video.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pro mode, under expose a hair or two.tiny sensors dont have dynamic range so shoot raw to get most.thd 200mp do really make a amazing file size from its device

Good day, everyone. Sorry, late to the party. I will add this to the conversation and (if anyone is still reading this thread) perhaps someone will find the information useful.

Last Spring, I walked the Camino Mozarabe, San Salvador, and the Chemin du Piémont (3 months in total; ~750 miles total walking distance over varied terrain).

This is clearly NOT the norm, but I brought (and used heavily) two camera bodies (both Sony a7riii) and two zoom lenses (Sony 16-35mm/f2.8 & 70-200mm/f4; including accessories my camera gear alone weighed roughly 12.5-13 lbs/~6 Kg)).

I would describe myself as a pretty serious amateur photographer. I had a very specific set of photo-centric objectives to meet (document some of the Semana Santa processions, landscape photography, folks I met along the way, etc.).

So, what's the point?.....well, carrying camera gear on the Camino can be done. It's a question of what you want to do with it and how much you want to carry. As I say, my setup is not what you would normally see on the Camino, but it worked for me.

One piece of kit that worked really well for me was Peak Design's capture clip (not an ad, I make no money mentioning this!!). It made carrying two cameras possible. One camera on the clip (which sits on one of the pack straps) and the other camera in a holster bag on the opposite side to balance the weight. You can see the clip with the camera in the photo below (ironically, a photo made with my iPhone!!):

self portrait.jpeg

Were there moments I wished I had carried less gear? Probably a few times, but I've no regrets.

My suggestion to you would be, consider what it is you want to achieve with your photography. If it's just to make a few snaps of the people you meet and bond with along the way, a few scenic shots, etc. Bring a small, light point-and-shoot or (as the majority of folks have suggested) your mobile phone.

If your photographic objectives are more lengthy and involved, well.....you'll need to plan accordingly.

A final point, on the Camino Francés I walked in 2017, I did bring one camera (Leica M10) plus two lenses (Leica 35/2 summicron and 90mm tele); a much smaller kit, but you can still do a lot with it.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the excessive writing. Buen Camino!

Good day, everyone. Sorry, late to the party. I will add this to the conversation and (if anyone is still reading this thread) perhaps someone will find the information useful.

Last Spring, I walked the Camino Mozarabe, San Salvador, and the Chemin du Piémont (3 months in total; ~750 miles total walking distance over varied terrain).

This is clearly NOT the norm, but I brought (and used heavily) two camera bodies (both Sony a7riii) and two zoom lenses (Sony 16-35mm/f2.8 & 70-200mm/f4; including accessories my camera gear alone weighed roughly 12.5-13 lbs/~6 Kg)).

I would describe myself as a pretty serious amateur photographer. I had a very specific set of photo-centric objectives to meet (document some of the Semana Santa processions, landscape photography, folks I met along the way, etc.).

So, what's the point?.....well, carrying camera gear on the Camino can be done. It's a question of what you want to do with it and how much you want to carry. As I say, my setup is not what you would normally see on the Camino, but it worked for me.

One piece of kit that worked really well for me was Peak Design's capture clip (not an ad, I make no money mentioning this!!). It made carrying two cameras possible. One camera on the clip (which sits on one of the pack straps) and the other camera in a holster bag on the opposite side to balance the weight. You can see the clip with the camera in the photo below (ironically, a photo made with my iPhone!!):

View attachment 159987

Were there moments I wished I had carried less gear? Probably a few times, but I've no regrets.

My suggestion to you would be, consider what it is you want to achieve with your photography. If it's just to make a few snaps of the people you meet and bond with along the way, a few scenic shots, etc. Bring a small, light point-and-shoot or (as the majority of folks have suggested) your mobile phone.

If your photographic objectives are more lengthy and involved, well.....you'll need to plan accordingly.

A final point, on the Camino Francés I walked in 2017, I did bring one camera (Leica M10) plus two lenses (Leica 35/2 summicron and 90mm tele); a much smaller kit, but you can still do a lot with it.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the excessive writing. Buen Camino!
You’re talking my language @ogr1960 … we have the same cameras in our arsenal 😂

if I do get around to doing a Camino where photo essays and portraits are a major goal for me, my M10p and a 35mm will probably be my choice - the Sony‘s my choice for landscapes

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You’re talking my language @ogr1960 … we have the same cameras in our arsenal 😂

if I do get around to doing a Camino with photo essays and portraits being a major goal, my M10p and a 35mm will probably be my choice
Your set-up sounds perfect.

I guess the camera kit I've used is not for the faint of heart but, for me, it has worked well.

It's like anything in life, I don't know how many more Caminos I've still got in me but one of the great joys for me (and a true means of expression) is to be able to document what I see in terms of the people, the culture, and the physical beauty of the towns, cities, & landscapes. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Your set-up sounds perfect.

I guess the camera kit I've used is not for the faint of heart but, for me, it has worked well.

It's like anything in life, I don't know how many more Caminos I've still got in me but one of the great joys for me (and a true means of expression) is to be able to document what I see in terms of the people, the culture, and the physical beauty of the towns, cities, & landscapes. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Absolutely! It’s funny, I was walking that long 17km stretch from Carrion de los Condes, and I was talking to another pilgrim about how I was being inspired by people and things I was seeing along the Camino. How everyone has a story to tell and how I’d like to use photo essays to tell some of those stories. And as if to illustrate, another pilgrim came by us, and in his left hand was a small simple wreath. ”See…” I said…“there’s a story there”. And I was already imagining a simple photo story!

Last edited:
To follow up on Tim-F's comment, on the S23 ultra, using pro mode, the "cloud" icon appears when you slide the WB (white balance) scale to 6500K. The following links to an explanation of the Kelvin Color Temperatures.
https://www.3drender.com/glossary/colortemp.htm

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi team
Thanks Jim
Dear Kiwijim,
Thank you for your post. So currently Iam going on my caminos with a Leica compact fullframe with a 50mm fixed lens.
The years before I was going with a compact Fuji xt2 with a 50mm lens.
The reason for it is that I prefer 50mm and I would like to print photo albums one day.
IU do have a compact backpack ( 7,5kg without water) and I do carry my camera with a peak design clip on the backpack front. Like this it is always ready to shoot, easy to grab and the weight in front does not have any impact at all on the general weight so I am very fine with this setup for many years to come.
Security is a concern of course so I am careful.

Regards

Martin
Zermatt, Switzerland

Absolutely! It’s funny, I was walking that long 17km stretch from Carrion de los Condes, and I was talking to another pilgrim about how I was being inspired by people and things I was seeing along the Camino. How everyone has a story to tell and how I’d like to use photo essays to tell some of those stories. And as if to illustrate, another pilgrim came by us, and in his left hand was a small simple wreath. ”See…” I said…“there’s a story there”. And I was already imagining a simple photo story!
The famous french street and documentary photographer, Edouard Boubat, is quoted as saying something like, "If you go through life with your head up, and your heart and eyes open, there is a gift waiting for you at the corner of every street". I've always liked that statement and it speaks to intent and preparedness in photography but, most importantly, in life.

Hi team
Thanks Jim
I brought a good quality compact camera as well as my phone, and used both. Phone's camera outperformed the Sony, especially in low light.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi team
Thanks Jim
Hi. I've just finished a Camino Francés. I'm an experienced (one-time pro) photographer, and I could have taken my Nikon Z6 with me to record the journey. I decided against it, and used my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. This did a perfectly good job, and I used the Jpeg images and MP4 videos in the blog I used to diarise the pilgrimage.

I didn't come across any situation where I wished I had the Nikon. And it was nice not to have to carry the weight.

Moreover, had I used it, it would have created a lot more work, in selecting and processing the images before use in the blog. As it was, I used the Samsung photo editor if I needed to tweak images and it was enough for the blog. For the photo book, I use a different image processor at home, but the phone images are good enough.

I would just say this: whatever camera you use, make sure it has a good optical zoom. My phone has 3x and 10x, and I used these liberally.

Good luck!

I took a Sony RX100 m7 and was happy with the results. It is very small and light but has a 24-200mm zoom. The 200mm zoom enabled some shots that would have been impossible with a phone.

I took a Sony RX100 m7 and was happy with the results. It is very small and light but has a 24-200mm zoom. The 200mm zoom enabled some shots that would have been impossible with a phone.

Yes, that's a good option. I have a similar camera, a Panasonic TZ100 which would also have done a good job.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As other have said, the camera on a modern phone is completely adequate to record the scenery / people ... images that will help you remember a marvelous journey. Cameras like the Sony RX100 MkVII are compact, take the image quality up a notch and give you more control which is periodically useful, especially when lighting is tricky. Sometimes I think it's worth bringing a compact camera, sometimes I don't. Every couple years I flip-flop.

A more serious camera: high quality DSLR, Fuji mirrorless, Leica with good lens can create significantly better quality images if you are prepared to carry them and keep them close to your hand. Second the recommendation of products from Peak. If you goal is to create high quality images, this is the way.

For some people, the camera is a distraction and is best to be left behind on a pilgrimage. For others, it's a tool for visual meditation and/or to make connections with others: e.g. not discretely snapping pictures, but engaging the person. make a connection, and then take a picture which captures their essence.

Another follow-up. Perhaps it would be useful to start an independent thread with Camino tips on smartphone photography. For those with a desire to have more control over camera functions and photo quality, for the S23 Ultra (and probably some earlier iterations), it is useful to master the Pro camera mode. Here's a link to a short YouTube video that I found useful:

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra PRO MODE: How, Why, & When To Use It (Full Settings & Features Walkthrough)​

Brent Hall has several playlist videos about using the S23/S22 Ultra cameras [and other general photography matters] here:

Another follow-up. Perhaps it would be useful to start an independent thread with Camino tips on smartphone photography. For those with a desire to have more control over camera functions and photo quality, for the S23 Ultra (and probably some earlier iterations), it is useful to master the Pro camera mode. Here's a link to a short YouTube video that I found useful:

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra PRO MODE: How, Why, & When To Use It (Full Settings & Features Walkthrough)​

Brent Hall has several playlist videos about using the S23/S22 Ultra cameras [and other general photography matters] here:

I guess it's useful to have a grasp of Pro Mode, but I never found myself in need of anything other than the phone's normal capabilities. I guess it depends on what you're planning to do with the images.

More important, for me, would have been an editor that can accurately correct questioning (converging verticals). I used the Samsung photo editor, which offers a version of this capability that I deemed good enough for my blog, but I wouldn't expect to sell images processed thus with it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I have the S22 Ultra. I love Samsung phones because of the image processing.
Mine actually does the reverse! It enriches the tones.
In Camera settings, try turning on Scene Optimiser.

I have the S22 Ultra. I love Samsung phones because of the image processing.
Mine actually does the reverse! It enriches the tones.
In Camera settings, try turning on Scene Optimiser.
I had that on. Others in this thread suggest it is what was causing the problem. 🤷‍♂️

Within reason
My S23 Ultra does 99%of what i need.
Therein lies the problem.
That last 1%.

I shoot a certain way of certain things and the grainy photos are unacceptable.
Tiny sensors are limited and while the 23 is amazing, it wont match my full frame cameras abilities.
Theres nothing i hate more than not having enough camera.

Singular moment,places and times get away that fast.
I could take the 23 and shoot thousands of pics to upload.and absolutley regret not having had enough camera for "that" "the"...moment.
Its soul crushing.
Moments have different meanings to everyone.
My moments are captured in 5 senses.
If..i have my dslr..then the moment is immediate,strong..with all the intangibles
Its a Yamazaki 18,its a kittens smell and whiskers
The pictures are my 7th sense.
Its extant, its inevitable
It can be perfect..forever.
Best of luck.
Get a small highly dynamic ranged camera, an old Panasonic GH5 with 3 lenses will be enough to capture the crepuscular light through a stained glass window through incence laden air

A Nikon D850 will photo stack images in perfect focus of a field of flowers backed by dark storm clouds

A Canon 5D mk iv will focus from the back screen

I had that on. Others in this thread suggest it is what was causing the problem. 🤷‍♂️
Hi. When I made the suggestion, I was assuming you were using a compact camera for some reason. I should have picked up that you were using a phone. My point may still be valid, but (from limited experience) phones are usually smarter (!) and better able to give you a pleasing looking photo than cameras. I guess a bit of trial and error is needed, to understand what your phone's doing. You can potentially get different results by focussing on different parts of the scene. This may affect the exposure. A darker image will give richer colours. If you focus on a dark part of the image, the phone may try and expose for that and give a lighter more washed out result. There'll also be a way of deliberately over/under exposing. E.g. in pro mode, or whatever your phone calls it. There's possibly even a sunset mode. At least your learning curve is not conducted during the days of using film!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi team
Thanks Jim
I'm heading back to the Frances in May also. Last time there I only took a small cropped-sensor Nikon Z50 and although it was great, I regretted not taking my bigger better camera an a couple of lenses.

Within reason
My S23 Ultra does 99%of what i need.
Therein lies the problem.
That last 1%.

I shoot a certain way of certain things and the grainy photos are unacceptable.
Tiny sensors are limited and while the 23 is amazing, it wont match my full frame cameras abilities.
Theres nothing i hate more than not having enough camera.

Singular moment,places and times get away that fast.
I could take the 23 and shoot thousands of pics to upload.and absolutley regret not having had enough camera for "that" "the"...moment.
Its soul crushing.
Moments have different meanings to everyone.
My moments are captured in 5 senses.
If..i have my dslr..then the moment is immediate,strong..with all the intangibles
Its a Yamazaki 18,its a kittens smell and whiskers
The pictures are my 7th sense.
Its extant, its inevitable
It can be perfect..forever.
Best of luck.
Get a small highly dynamic ranged camera, an old Panasonic GH5 with 3 lenses will be enough to capture the crepuscular light through a stained glass window through incence laden air

A Nikon D850 will photo stack images in perfect focus of a field of flowers backed by dark storm clouds

A Canon 5D mk iv will focus from the back screen
I agree. I'm taking a Nikon Z9 next time, with a couple of nice fast lenses.

I'm heading back to the Frances in May also. Last time there I only took a small cropped-sensor Nikon Z50 and although it was great, I regretted not taking my bigger better camera an a couple of lenses.
I love my photography, but carrying an expensive camera and potentially multiple lenses just doesn't really work unless you are on some production expedition. The first thing is what do you do with it when you go shower etc (assuming you stay in Albergues)? And secondly, I think it would distract in a way from the walking if you are obsessed as me to get the right shot and not miss anything.

€46,-
I love my photography, but carrying an expensive camera and potentially multiple lenses just doesn't really work unless you are on some production expedition. The first thing is what do you do with it when you go shower etc (assuming you stay in Albergues)? And secondly, I think it would distract in a way from the walking if you are obsessed as me to get the right shot and not miss anything.
It works for me, and is not a distraction at all. If anything, my senses are heightened looking for light and detail, and I notice everything 🙂

It works for me, and is not a distraction at all. If anything, my senses are heightened looking for light and detail, and I notice everything 🙂
Thats my no 1.issue..after a point..my wandering eyes begin to compose,looking for compositions,lighting,contrasts,juxtapositions..
Then..there is"THE light"
It may be honey golden,golden with the long shadows, warm golden from summers,cold golden.
Or alpenglow...

But there is one more light
RIght during or after sunset.
There is a magical ..ethereal..no..pure..no...

There is a light that is perfect..makes everything perfect..
And the pursuit of that light can be a madness..a geiss upon your immortal soul.
Silvery white like noctiluminecence
But its not.
Thats why i always have a camera and know how to get what i want..because it sneaks up on you.
I would shed a few kilos to offset the weight of a D850 and good glass.

All for one perfect moment.

Thats my no 1.issue..after a point..my wandering eyes begin to compose,looking for compositions,lighting,contrasts,juxtapositions..
Then..there is"THE light"
It may be honey golden,golden with the long shadows, warm golden from summers,cold golden.
Or alpenglow...

But there is one more light
RIght during or after sunset.
There is a magical ..ethereal..no..pure..no...

There is a light that is perfect..makes everything perfect..
And the pursuit of that light can be a madness..a geiss upon your immortal soul.
Silvery white like noctiluminecence
But its not.
Thats why i always have a camera and know how to get what i want..because it sneaks up on you.
I would shed a few kilos to offset the weight of a D850 and good glass.

All for one perfect moment.
Beautiful words as always.

I totally understand, and there were many times I wished I'd had my camera. But it just wouldn't have worked for me, because very few if any of the Albergues had secure lockers so if travelling alone it's not really viable to leave several thousand pounds worth of camera in your back-pack while you go take a shower, going out to dinner etc. Especially given that most people will have seen you with it. Now I'm not saying that there is a high probability of it being stolen, but there is a chance. I only really recall one place I stayed where I had any uncomfortableness about leaving my things lying around, but it would have been a lot different if those things included my camera.

I'd be interested to hear what people tend to do with their cameras in the above scenario?

As for the distraction, as much as I'd have loved my camera with me at times, I think it would have interrupted the flow of my Camino, especially the times when walking with others. I think also given my phone can take ok photos this helped smooth the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I totally understand, and there were many times I wished I'd had my camera. But it just wouldn't have worked for me, because very few if any of the Albergues had secure lockers so if travelling alone it's not really viable to leave several thousand pounds worth of camera in your back-pack while you go take a shower, going out to dinner etc. Especially given that most people will have seen you with it. Now I'm not saying that there is a high probability of it being stolen, but there is a chance. I only really recall one place I stayed where I had any uncomfortableness about leaving my things lying around, but it would have been a lot different if those things included my camera.

I'd be interested to hear what people tend to do with their cameras in the above scenario?

As for the distraction, as much as I'd have loved my camera with me at times, I think it would have interrupted the flow of my Camino, especially the times when walking with others. I think also given my phone can take ok photos this helped smooth the way.
You hit it straight on the head.cost v benefit.
At any one time between flashes,and gear,computor and periferals ill have a lot of investment with me.
And put beautifully, someone will see me doing things and know that gear is easily sold off.
I can take most of my stuff into a shower with no issues, litterally into..but it would not be worth the hassle.

Its important as breathing to me, getting the shot...
A partner would help..but im a loner by nature..im gregarious enough in social settings but prefer solitude ....vastly above crowds.
Ime a study in dichotomies..i am a event photographer, mainly for charity fundraisers, Rugby on various pitches and events with large crowds
A whole other animal when shooting
I suppose its a balance thing....
The most amazing moments are shared experiences with like minded people.

But, set me in a big empty place with wind to whisper of mystery and in confidence of where its been....seen and caressing my hair, leaving ..or is it my muse running her hands lovingly and its her whispers
Let me see the grass in ocean imitation
Or leaves dancing
Let me shiver under lightning
Let waves roar and toss themselves against the shore,as if testing the land.
That is where im happiest with camera in hand

But that is not Ultima Thule,it is only one horizon
Its only a Rubicon.

I need to be where storms are born..where they must rage against their entropy..dying is so...so....dissapointing unless the furies were fully and well spent..only then can they pass into nite.
To see every sunset is good
To live in the sunset is better
To, how is it said unless you have been there...to be fully in those moments...is to be fully alive.
My camera is my vision,obsession,passion,relentless in its hunger..almost as strong or equal to the intense desire toward Santiago.
Its hard to place .

Komorebi is one
Mangata...

Saudade,Hiraeth,Ya'Aburnee
Toska,
Merak...
They all capture,encompass and fail miserably... to ascribe the traits of the moments..but i think to finally give name will be uttering the name of God.
Those are the..that is the moment my words are failing to describe..to ascribe
"you have to be there..to understand"
How momentous those singular times are.
I hope fervently,that you have those moments,
To miss them is a tragic postscript
I Hope everyone is touched soul deep by the moments

Security is always an issue on any trip. I prefer private rooms for this reason,. Plus, I can download files each day, charge batteries, do a bit of work, and get sleep without noise. I'd rather walk alone with my camera and thoughts, than walk and talk to others. I suppose we all have different ways of enjoying our travel experiences.

On the 2018 CF, I had my Nikon DSLR (2018) and my Samsung Note 4 but I found the DSLR an easier device to use. With the DSLR, I took (1,000s) more photographs than with the phones because of the simplicity of the DSLR -- in one single move I can remove the camera, remove the lens, turn it on and zoom in on that candid shot.

Last year, I wanted to try only having the Samsung Fold 3 from Porto to Santiago and reverse Santiago to O'Cebriero, and I can say I missed my DSLR. Before going on my 2018 CF I tried several solutions (have to thank Amazon for their return policies) and settled on the chest harness. Taking the camera off or replacing it on the harness did not require any special effort - just one smooth motion. It has a short strap to secure the camera in case of a drop (it would only dangle at my waist if dropped) and the camera did not swing from side to side; it was so secure that at Sarria, our Camino family had an impromptu uphill race with our packs and hiking boots....the camera stayed where it belonged, against the chest, as my arms were pumping wildly up and down and I huffed and puffed up the incline. And another benefit is I did not notice the full-sized camera weight all day long.

As @JFlores stated, the DSLR is not discrete. But I have over 7,000 images from 2018 after culling while I have about 300 images from 2022, the rest are in my soft memory that others can't see.

A chest harness or clip is a great idea!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.