• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you do in between caminos?

David with new Kit!

Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2021, 2022
I'm just wondering how everyone keeps themselves off the couch, in between caminos?

My wife and I completed the CF in October 2021 and apart from a few aches we were pretty happy with it, so we decided that we will do the Camino del Norte in September 2022.

We have been walking around 12kms a couple of times a week to "keep fit", and it was all going splendid until last Saturday when I decided to do a 20km walk.

OMG, did I ache the following day, reminding me I'm not quite "camino fit" yet. But its the same aches we all experience the morning following a long camino stage.

It was an early eye opener for me and I think I'll do more 20k days just to clear away the lethargy that was creeping in.

So, just wondering if its only me that regresses (fitness wise) after a camino, or is it normal to feel this way?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you carry your fully loaded backpacks when doing your training walks?

I find that really helps. Up- and downhill sections included when possible.

I try to do more hikes and less "going for a walk". 10km with a daypack in a park and all flat is nice to do but not the best training.

So I go for shorter walks often, but try to add the longer, full day, more challenging hikes whenever possible on days off work. The backpack goes with me even for the shorter, easier walks in the park.

It's strange to walk around with a 70l backpack in pilgrim clothes when everyone else around you is dressed nicely for their sunday walk 🤣 I get funny looks all the time, but I don't care anymore.

I'm still always a bit sore on my first Camino days. I guess it's simply very difficult for most people to replicate 20-30km day after day in all kinds of terrain with the kind of training that is possible to do at home.

I think you're already doing great with several 12km walks per week!

With the exception of about a week when it was too smokey here to be outside, and a couple of days after my first Pfizer shot I have walked between between 5 and 12 km every day for the last two years, with a couple of longer walks thrown in occasionally. There have been days when I haven't wanted to, but I'm always happy that I did when I finished.
I want to be ready to walk a Camino at any moment.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
from a fitness stand, you should be doing 12km everyday, however if want to do 20km everyday on your Camino you should train with a 15lb pack 25km everyday, its just my opinion

Do you carry your fully loaded backpacks when doing your training walks?

I find that really helps. Up- and downhill sections included when possible.

I try to do more hikes and less "going for a walk". 10km with a daypack in a park and all flat is nice to do but not the best training.

So I go for shorter walks often, but try to add the longer, full day, more challenging hikes whenever possible on days off work. The backpack goes with me even for the shorter, easier walks in the park.

It's strange to walk around with a 70l backpack in pilgrim clothes when everyone else around you is dressed nicely for their sunday walk 🤣 I get funny looks all the time, but I don't care anymore.

I'm still always a bit sore on my first Camino days. I guess it's simply very difficult for most people to replicate 20-30km day after day in all kinds of terrain with the kind of training that is possible to do at home.

I think you're already doing great with several 12km walks per week!
Thanks @good_old_shoes Yes, I do mean hike, not walk. Apologies for my sloppy description. At the moment I'm wearing my day rucksack when I go out, probably about half my normal camino weight. I wait until the week before flying out before I go up to full camino pack weight.

I don't mind the looks when I have my full pack on as I know why I do it ;)

from a fitness stand, you should be doing 12km everyday, however if want to do 20km everyday on your Camino you should train with a 15lb pack 25km everyday, its just my opinion
I should probably mention that in addition to the walks, I also go to the gym three times a week for 60-70 mins of aerobic exercise (each visit)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks @good_old_shoes Yes, I do mean hike, not walk. Apologies for my sloppy description. At the moment I'm wearing my day rucksack when I go out, probably about half my normal camino weight. I wait until the week before flying out before I go up to full camino pack weight.

I don't mind the looks when I have my full pack on as I know why I do it ;)
What is the logic for practicing with half your Camino weight?

I get the strange looks now (in an area where people exercise regularly), especially when it's cold and I have a Buff covering my face and a hoodie over my beanie along with carrying my pack. I get the feeling folks think I'm scouting for houses to rob.

When I lived in the deep South and was training for the first Camino during the winter, I was harassed by police following me and giving me the "I see you" hand gesture. Finally, I had a meeting with one of them to explain what I was doing.

I really don't care what folks think, but it does get old sometimes...

I regularly hike up mountains in CO (10k feet and above) with my ham radio. With winter gear and radio, the pack runs around 30 lbs. The hikes are shorter than a Camino day, but the heavy pack at altitude, and ascending/descending 2-3000' makes up for it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We should have walked the Camino last year. In the meantime we do weekly walks and last year walked the Whithorn Way from Glasgow to Whithorn in Scotland. www.walkthewhithornway.org I made up a little slide show (admin, please delete if not allowed) So, like most folk, we do what we can under difficult times.
This September will be returning to the Camino. Yahoooooo !
View attachment WWW Video 2.mp4

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Goodness me! There's some serious fitness programmes being suggested here!
I can't remember who it was who said this on here but it rings true.....
There's no need to walk to Santiago before you walk to Santiago
Mine isn't a fitness program - really more of an obsession. 😅
I'm afraid that if I take one day off it will be much easier to take two - then three, four...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We think about next visit of course! Everything we buy or do reminds in some way of the Camino.
-Would these shoes, socks, pants, etc be good for the Camino?
-Would this recipe work for pilgrims on the Camino?
-Remember the day we walked xx km on the Camino? We have got to do more walking before the next one!

"In between Caminos"? Hmm, manage the Tribe, deal with the taxman, sort out the garden, keep the car running and the roof waterproof. Plant a few trees. Plant a few bean, squash, roots & leaves. Pick up the litter left by those who are yet to become pilgrims. Watch the years go by (less scared than I used to be - age gives the privilege of no longer fearing acquiring it).

I'm not sure that I am ever "between" Caminos. It is all but a road. What do I do when I'm not walking in Spain? See above.

Last edited:
from a fitness stand, you should be doing 12km everyday
I'm curious - what is this based on?

With the exception of about a week... I have walked between between 5 and 12 km every day for the last two years... There have been days when I haven't wanted to, but I'm always happy that I did when I finished.

I'm afraid that if I take one day off it will be much easier to take two - then three, four
I find it easier to have a weekly target of at least 50 km from Sunday to Saturday. I note my distances on a paper calendar. This gives me more flexibility, but still a clear expectation. Every single week in 2021 (even through the heat bomb and the deluge) I walked at least 50 km on outdoor walks. I am continuing that plan for 2022.

True, but... I am glad that I have been able to make my walking an activity that is not solely intended as training for the Camino. I view it as essential to my health in old age.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Goodness me! There's some serious fitness programmes being suggested here!
I can't remember who it was who said this on here but it rings true.....
That may be true but if you keep walking between caminos when you get to that ripe old age when you have time to walk when you want and where you want you sure will have the ability to walk alot of caminos.

I find it easier to have a weekly target of at least 50 km from Sunday to Saturday. I note my distances on a paper calendar. This gives me more flexibility, but still a clear expectation. Every single week in 2021 (even through the heat bomb and the deluge) I walked at least 50 km on outdoor walks. I am continuing that plan for 2022.

True, but... I am glad that I have been able to make my walking an activity that is not solely intended as training for the Camino. I view it as essential to my health in old age.
You got that right my moderator friend.

We should have walked the Camino last year. In the meantime we do weekly walks and last year walked the Whithorn Way from Glasgow to Whithorn in Scotland. www.walkthewhithornway.org I made up a little slide show (admin, please delete if not allowed) So, like most folk, we do what we can under difficult times.
This September will be returning to the Camino. Yahoooooo !
View attachment 118522
Love your video

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm just wondering how everyone keeps themselves off the couch, in between caminos?

My wife and I completed the CF in October 2021 and apart from a few aches we were pretty happy with it, so we decided that we will do the Camino del Norte in September 2022.

We have been walking around 12kms a couple of times a week to "keep fit", and it was all going splendid until last Saturday when I decided to do a 20km walk.

OMG, did I ache the following day, reminding me I'm not quite "camino fit" yet. But its the same aches we all experience the morning following a long camino stage.

It was an early eye opener for me and I think I'll do more 20k days just to clear away the lethargy that was creeping in.

So, just wondering if its only me that regresses (fitness wise) after a camino, or is it normal to feel this way?
I continue to walk a lot and/or run. A 6 mile walk does wonders for me.

You asked, so here is what I do: Even before I started biking/walking Camino's in 2016, I pretty much did an hour in the gym 5 days per week. Concurrently 6 days per week I mix up walking 3-10 miles, cycling 20-40 miles, elliptical 30-90 minutes. It helps to have like minded friends to pressure you on days when you are feeling lazy. I often borrow someone's dog to take on the hikes.

Now and in addition to the above, I am in 3 different Camino chapters and do periodic group hikes. This pretty much keeps me always ready for a Camino or any other endurance activity. About 2 months prior to Camino walk, I do my hikes with 30-50 pounds of gear using trekking poles. Therefore, I only need to do 2- 10 mile hikes rather than those 20 milers which take a big chunk of time. Gym workout increases a bit to 6 days a week. Cycling distances increase. I walk barefoot at home as environment/etiquette allows.

My Camino pack weight is 12.5 pounds, and that includes enough food and water for a day. At 61 and this level of training, I walk the Caminos injury and blister free 20-30 miles per day while stopping for coffee, snacks or conversation every hour or two, thoroughly enjoying each day. I don't need rest days, but can stay in town an extra day, make side trips or sight-see whenever I feel like it stress-free.

When I start to slide into that lethargy you wrote about, I think ahead to my next Camino and how nice it will be if I stay in shape.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
At 88 now and with cardiac issues, I'm afraid it's unrealistic to think I could be "between" Caminos. I do walk every day, living across the street from a lovely park, and near a grocery store and drugstore. So my Camino experience is reading this Forum and feeling so grateful to all of you who are still at it, and sharing your experiences. Thanks! And Buen Camino!

I'm curious - what is this based on?
well, if you only doing 12k three times a week, and you are planning to walk every day in the Camino, would be logical to train your legs everyday and I mean walking asides from any other form of exercise just my two cents

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.